Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I always pictured Cecil looking kind of like Cyril Figgis from Archer. Like, just an aggressively ordinary looking fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My headcanon Cecil:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Before I met Cecil I pictured him as a sort of 1920's circus barker with a bowtie and giant mustache

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

bengraven posted:

I could see people getting too upset by it, but in fairness it was one episode and just a few sentences and as Jeffrey said, it wasn't even really supposed to be that big of a deal. And he made a radically progressive and awesome reason, that the work should go to an actor of color or a gay actor instead of another white washed role. Can't argue that!

As far as I know, no one was upset by it. We made this decision for our own reasons, not as a reaction to anyone being mad at us.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just make sure to keep him away from Tully the Barber and I'm sure everyone will be peachy with it.

Tully! :argh:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Just make sure to keep him away from Tully the Barber and I'm sure everyone will be peachy with it.

Tully! :argh:

No fear of that now, unless his cactus needs a haircut.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I always pictured Cecil looking kind of like Cyril Figgis from Archer. Like, just an aggressively ordinary looking fellow.

This exactly. Just super normal.Certainly not the twiggy tattoo guy. Actually, tattoos don't really make sense, as they seem to live in a kind of conservative place. Then again, no one seems to mind Cecil being gay, either. That we know.

I actually would like more "mad science" style content, and maybe more knwledge about the outside world. It all seems really hosed up. Sometimes, I get the feeling that maybe Nightvale is the most normal place in their world.

E:spelling

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I just automatically associate Cecil with Mr. Tastee from the Adventures of Pete & Pete. It's kind of weird.

Though I really like Cecil Baldwin's image of Carlos (buff handsome guy that wears glasses & a labcoat), I usually just imagine him looking more like a hispanic Otacon.

The aggressively normal image I tend to associate more with Steve Carlsberg. Something about Cecil's (righteous) hatred of that despicable man just makes me assume he has a very inoffensive look to him. Also he's 40-something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DicktheCat posted:

I actually would like more "mad science" style content, and maybe more knwledge about the outside world. It all seems really hosed up. Sometimes, I get the feeling that maybe Nightvale is the most normal place in their world.

But Carlos said it was the most scientifically interesting town in America!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Mr Tastee posted:

The aggressively normal image I tend to associate more with Steve Carlsberg. Something about Cecil's (righteous) hatred of that despicable man just makes me assume he has a very inoffensive look to him. Also he's 40-something.

I like the theory that Steve Carlsberg is the most reasonable person in town and has never done anything to aggravate Cecil in his life, and it's all on Cecil's end, every bit of it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I just blew through every episode in the last week, this is a great podcast.

Also, my iTunes just downloaded today's episode, and your big news is GREAT, I am very excited for that. Too bad it's so far away!!!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Congratulations Joseph!!!!!!!!!!!!! Publication (especially in sci-fi/horror) is such a huge event in a writer's life. Can't wait for 2015! Can I pre-order right now?

Also, I've now heard the ending. What the gently caress, man. What the gently caress.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 15, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That's some fantastic news to hear, I love sinking my teeth into some good fiction. Congratulations!

Listening to the new episode now. Lot 37. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Between the not talking about what happened and the ending I am now dieing from cliffhangers. Please pray for me.

Also congrats on the book! :toot:

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth
This podcast has given me more emotions than anything else I have listened to. Oh god Cecil. :ohdear:

Also I am going to buy the poo poo out of the book once it's available. Your writing is hella quality.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I bet it was Carlos :3:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

dj_clawson posted:

I like the theory that Steve Carlsberg is the most reasonable person in town and has never done anything to aggravate Cecil in his life, and it's all on Cecil's end, every bit of it.

Steve CARLSBERG can't even take care of a tan Corolla.

Theory shattered.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Gonna be really baffled and angry if there isn't an audiobook read by Cecil available day one.

I'm not even an audiobook person, like, at all, but for this, it feels right.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

Congratulations on your big news, I'm already super excited!

The episode itself was fantastic, but this and the last one have left me wanting so many answers. Also, I'm worried about Old Woman Josie, I don't think we've heard about her at all since the angels left? But she and Cecil are bowling buddies so I'm sure we'd have heard something if she wasn't okay, right? :ohdear:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo congrats dude, I'll be buying the book day one (especially so if that audiobook read by Cecil is at all a possible option). I'm so thrilled that Night Vale has taken off like this, there really needs to be stuff like this supported.

Also, of course the whole episode was great, but for some reason my favorite part was the Kid's Science Fun Corner brought to you by the letter 'ooooh'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Gonna be really baffled and angry if there isn't an audiobook read by Cecil available day one.

I'm not even an audiobook person, like, at all, but for this, it feels right.

Ditto, actually, now that you mention it!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WHATS IN THE LOT!? :f5:

Great episode as usual guys. I got really :ohdear: when Cecile said what the name of lot 37 was. By the way, this also was the 37th episode I can't wait for the book.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 15, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

MikeJF posted:

Ditto, actually, now that you mention it!

With any parts about Desert Bluffs being narrated by Kevin. :allears:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

bengraven posted:

I could see people getting too upset by it, but in fairness it was one episode and just a few sentences and as Jeffrey said, it wasn't even really supposed to be that big of a deal. And he made a radically progressive and awesome reason, that the work should go to an actor of color or a gay actor instead of another white washed role. Can't argue that!

Oh, I think I completely misunderstood this post, sorry.

Yeah, for the most part people have been very happy about the voice change. There is apparently some people really angry on reddit, so I think that means we're definitely doing the right thing.

And to clarify: this is a completely different book than the one we had been planning. That one is, well, no more. Things just shifted very quickly, and making our own book was no longer feasible. This will be an actual, in bookstores everywhere, written to be read by even people who have never heard the podcast, novel. The publisher will be sending out a press release with more details tomorrow, but I'm super excited and it's basically the life goal I've had since I was four years old fulfilled.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

maxnmona posted:

I'm super excited and it's basically the life goal I've had since I was four years old fulfilled.

Congratulations, I wish you the best!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

MikeJF posted:

But Carlos said it was the most scientifically interesting town in America!

I totally forgot that!

Also, is there going to be an e-book version of the book to buy?

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Fantastic news on all fronts! I can't wait for the book, and to meet the new Carlos.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

One of the best things about being published (other than the fulfillment of a life goal) is that it's awesome in stages. It's awesome when you get the offer. It's awesome when you sign the contract. It's awesome when you get your first check. It's awesome when you see the cover for the first time. (Editing and reviewing with the copyeditor is not so awesome) It's awesome when you see it up for pre-order on Amazon. It's awesome when you get your first author copy, and it's awesome when you go to a bookstore and see it on the shelf. There are just tons of awesome moments and it happens with each book you publish.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, it looks like I have one extra ticket for the late show in Brooklyn this Wednesday at the Bell House.

If you want it, send me a PM.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Maxnmona, I saw that the new episode was co-written by Glen David Gold. That's the guy who wrote Carter Beats the Devil, right? How did he get involved? That came out of nowhere, but it's pretty awesome - I loved that book!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Something I'd like to point out about Marcus Vansten and his chimneys: little boys who grow up sweeping chimneys tend to get cancer of the scrotum once they hit their teenage years. link

Just thought I'd share that extra bit of horror with you.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/welcome-to-night-vale-carlos-recast-diversity-genre-fiction/

A friend of mine just sent this to me on Facebook earlier today. Not only am I just really happy that people I didn't personally tell about Night Vale are sharing WTNV stuff, but also that this is a really well written discussion about gender and race issues in fiction.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Today I took my car to the mechanic, and the loaner car was a tan Corolla.

I felt like Steve Carlsburg the rest of the day. UGH.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I dreamed that an ad for the Night Vale book materialized on my dad's basement wall. Too bad I can't remember the plot summary.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I am become podcaster. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/popular-podcast-night-vale-coming-book-21232953

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
This is awesome! Congratulations, good sirs.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Who you gonna get to narrate the audiobook version? :v:

Congratulations and thanks for putting together this crazy show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Holy poo poo, congratulations, what fantastic news. :)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

http://www.avclub.com/article/welcome-to-night-vale-will-be-available-in-book-fo-106550

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I have a couple tickets for the tomorrow's late show if anyone's interested. Send me a PM.