Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
James Urbaniak's podcast continues to be fantastic.
http://gettingonwithju.libsyn.com/ep-15-the-smart-thing-by-joseph-scrimshaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, I had no idea Urbaniak did the voices for Phantom Limb and Jay-Jay. I just assumed they were more Jackson and Doc voices. I guess its like Billy West does Fry thats pretty much his normal voice pitched down, but is also doing Zap and other characters.

Someone linked this is earlier in the thread. Okay, sure, Bowie's voice isn't, like, super different from Urbaniak's, but it's still brilliant. I also need to listen to more of his podcasts where he reads dramatic monologues.

Edit: Oh, hey, look at that. I don't even have to google them, now. You linked them for me.

lol. "They have a time travel app, you can download on your...thing...You can throw yourself through them like uh...uh...hotdog through a hallway...I don't know why I used that gross phrase."

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 13, 2013

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
:can:

Inked Mag interview with Doc Hammer posted:

INKED: What, to you, is The Venture Bros. about?
DOC HAMMER: The show is about failure. And I’ve had to really think about that, as we are in the internet age and it is powerful to say something so short that people can absorb and regurgitate it.

I did have to make sure it wasn't old. dated 12/12/13

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

deong posted:

:can:

I did have to make sure it wasn't old. dated 12/12/13

I believe that is what is known as a "joke". I hope not to have to endure any more of them.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Cloks posted:

I believe that is what is known as a "joke". I hope not to have to endure any more of them.
I don't know, maybe he's come around to just embrace it?
They've clarified before that the general idea of VB is about people with actual depth and emotional hangups living in a Saturday morning cartoon. A lot of the show is about people dealing with their shortcomings and the long-term consequences of not succeeding. "The show is about failure" has been beaten to death, but it's not 100% inaccurate.

It's probably best not to dwell on it, since there's really no single phrase that can sum up the entirety of the show.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Octorok posted:

It's probably best not to dwell on it, since there's really no single phrase that can sum up the entirety of the show.

Rusty (accidentally) does a good job right at the start: "All these zeroes are meaningless."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If Venture Brothers isn't actually just a show about failure, than it not being about failure is ITSELF a meta-failure, and therefore it is a show about failure.

But if it's about failure than it isn't failing at that, so there isn't any meta-failures, and so it isn't just a show about failure- 30 GOTO 10;

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Failure is a theme, don't overthink it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just thought it was funny that it was one of the first questions, and his response hah. The interview is interesting. Apparently Doc is more a painter than cartoonist/writer in his own mind. And what I thought was really interesting is that he doesn't see his followers as 1 community. You've got the fans of VB, Weep and his paintings, and they don't really overlap. Also he loves scratcher tattoos.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

deong posted:

I just thought it was funny that it was one of the first questions, and his response hah. The interview is interesting. Apparently Doc is more a painter than cartoonist/writer in his own mind. And what I thought was really interesting is that he doesn't see his followers as 1 community. You've got the fans of VB, Weep and his paintings, and they don't really overlap. Also he loves scratcher tattoos.

Although he hasn't posted a painting since 2004, his deviantart is goddamn phenomenal. I can't believe that he's self-taught.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People think that the show being about failure means no character can ever succeed.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Bored posted:

Someone linked this is earlier in the thread. Okay, sure, Bowie's voice isn't, like, super different from Urbaniak's, but it's still brilliant.

Having a beer
Making popcorn
?????
Checking my email

http://vine.co/v/b6qd6pjmi3i

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Having a beer
Making popcorn
?????
Checking my email

http://vine.co/v/b6qd6pjmi3i

"Watching Girls" (HBO... it's bad don't actually watch it)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

People think that the show being about failure means no character can ever succeed.

Exactly. Failure is a core theme, including how people deal with and overcome failure. Like how Rusty and Jonas Jr. have been dealing with Jonas Sr.'s failure as a father for the entire series. It doesn't mean everyone is doomed to fail all the time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

namesake posted:

Rusty (accidentally) does a good job right at the start: "All these zeroes are meaningless."

Rusty is actually a incredibly good super scientist..... it just anything of his that works is all evil super science. So far he's (I'm probably forgetting a couple)
1. Almost found (and cured) the gay gene (government protest stopped him)
2. Brought corpse back to life
3. Clones for the boys
4. Built a pleasure chamber off the souls of orphan childen
5. Walking Eye

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BexGu posted:

Rusty is actually a incredibly good super scientist..... it just anything of his that works is all evil super science. So far he's (I'm probably forgetting a couple)
1. Almost found (and cured) the gay gene (government protest stopped him)
2. Brought corpse back to life
3. Clones for the boys
4. Built a pleasure chamber off the souls of orphan childen
5. Walking Eye

6. The Boom Broom

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SRM posted:

6. The Boom Broom

7. The Ooo Ray from the pilot
8. The portable force field that is weirdly susceptible to club soda.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

9. The teleporter that sliced him in thirds.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Data Graham posted:

9. The teleporter that sliced him in thirds.

That was JJ's work, Rusty just turned it on.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

That was JJ's work, Rusty just turned it on.

JJ did tell him there was some more testing needed, Rusty said it was done all it needed was a coat of paint.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt that Rusty was just too lazy to actually see anything through. He thinks himself such a genius that the bare minimum effort is needed for anything, and so arrogant that he never second guesses himself.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

He thinks himself such a genius that the bare minimum effort is needed for anything, and so arrogant that he never second guesses himself.

gently caress. My life.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I always felt that Rusty was just too lazy to actually see anything through. He thinks himself such a genius that the bare minimum effort is needed for anything, and so arrogant that he never second guesses himself.

I think part of it is that people just expect him to be some super genius because his dad was. It even shows that when he was little he didn't want to be a boy adventurer but his dad didnt care, and I bet when Rusty was teen/college age dad forced him into the super science thing. Rusty's laziness seems more like his way of rebelling than anything thing else. Now these last two seasons we see Rusty growing up. He is trying to get his life together but he has a very long way to go!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BooDoug187 posted:

I think part of it is that people just expect him to be some super genius because his dad was. It even shows that when he was little he didn't want to be a boy adventurer but his dad didnt care, and I bet when Rusty was teen/college age dad forced him into the super science thing. Rusty's laziness seems more like his way of rebelling than anything thing else. Now these last two seasons we see Rusty growing up. He is trying to get his life together but he has a very long way to go!

His dad almost seemed to relish forcing him into it, like it was a fun game to torture him. "When your father turned from role model to tormentor rival" and stuff. Of course it doesn't stop Rusty from doing it to Dean, but Dean at least has a spine now and can say no.

Also eliminating death is like the best scientific achievement possible, and while I'm sure his dad/Ben did most of the work, having the stones to implement it to protect his family is pretty noble and awesome.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

10. An army of superpowered mutants
11. A machine that can peel back time and resurrect ghosts of the dead
12. An aphrodisiac that also turns women into horrible bug monsters

Really Doctor Venture's worst problem is that he's awful at marketing. That forcefield he made was pretty good even if it could be penetrated by club soda, and there's been a couple times where he has outright refused to do a job that he was perfectly capable of doing on principle, like with Brisby and the Neo Nazis.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

5. Walking Eye

Let me help you here with this one.

5. WALKING EYE!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

7. The Ooo Ray from the pilot

Who brings club soda to a battlefield anyway?

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

Who brings club soda to a battlefield anyway?

I want to say British people for some reason.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What about the Sneakies? Those were cool.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BooDoug187 posted:

I want to say British people for some reason.

I was really hoping somebody would post a picture of sterling archer.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Non-cutting lightsaber

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, let's be clear, club soda works on everything.

Jeffrey posted:

His dad almost seemed to relish forcing him into it, like it was a fun game to torture him. "When your father turned from role model to tormentor rival" and stuff. Of course it doesn't stop Rusty from doing it to Dean, but Dean at least has a spine now and can say no.

Also eliminating death is like the best scientific achievement possible, and while I'm sure his dad/Ben did most of the work, having the stones to implement it to protect his family is pretty noble and awesome.

Nah, he mentions more than once that the cloning was his "life's work", and that he'd have been loving golden if the government hadn't cracked down on cloning technology. The learning beds were leftover from Jonas, but I think Rusty adapted them to also serve as braindumps for the clones.

I mean honestly just the cloning is a loving amazing achievement in itself. Just alter the clone slugs so they never develop brains, and voila! you have an organ donation farm. Imagine mass-producing organs of all blood types so that we never lacked donor organs again.

And medical research! Imagine what kind of disease and pharmaceutical studies could be done if you had an endless supply of brainless human bodies to experiment with!

Rusty's an rear end, but he's also got some legitimate reasons to be angry at the world. Imagine if you spent twenty years achieving a goddamn miracle of science and technology, with the potential to both revolutionize medical science and guarantee a lifetime of respect (and riches), and loving cheated death... and were then told "nope sorry, gently caress off and never do anything with it again".

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Rusty's an rear end, but he's also got some legitimate reasons to be angry at the world. Imagine if you spent twenty years achieving a goddamn miracle of science and technology, with the potential to both revolutionize medical science and guarantee a lifetime of respect (and riches), and loving cheated death... and were then told "nope sorry, gently caress off and never do anything with it again".

Or even worse: "Hey, could you create something more like your dad did?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I think Rusty's whole mental situation was summed up perfectly by 21 in the season 1-4 recap.

"Doc Venture used to be one of those kid adventurers on a TV show, and it totally messed him up."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHVLSY_Hrk

If his father hadn't dragged him into all that crazy poo poo, he might be a (relatively) normal super-scientist.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

prefect posted:

I think Rusty's whole mental situation was summed up perfectly by 21 in the season 1-4 recap.

"Doc Venture used to be one of those kid adventurers on a TV show, and it totally messed him up."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHVLSY_Hrk

If his father hadn't dragged him into all that crazy poo poo, he might be a (relatively) normal super-scientist.

I mean if you spent half your life kidnaped by costumed freaks, almost killed (or had worse happen to you, like what happend to the boys before Sgt Hatred got "treated") I think you would be messed up too!

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

BooDoug187 posted:

I mean if you spent half your life kidnaped by costumed freaks, almost killed (or had worse happen to you, like what happend to the boys before Sgt Hatred got "treated") I think you would be messed up too!

"Not today Rusty!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTHVTcdp7Ps

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

(Bolding mine.)

That makes me think of something...after he perfected the cloning, why didn't he start cloning himself? Like...keep a few clones of himself around, and sleep in a modified learning bed to record his memories too, and tell Brock that if he dies, go ahead and "use" one of the clones?

Yeah, the clones would be much younger versions of himself, but that really seems almost like a bonus. As soon as you use one, put another in the tank, and always have a few spares for accidental death, and you can live into your mid 40's or 50, kill yourself, and voila, brand new 20-something year old body. Do the same with Brock (well, if he wants) so that only one person has to "keep the secret" and gives him incentive to stick around to ensure you don't die without someone forgetting to tale a new clone-slug out of the tube.

If anyone asks, just say you perfected a youth treatment, not cloning, and that for "science reasons" it only works with your DNA so you cant' sell it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Bolding mine.)

That makes me think of something...after he perfected the cloning, why didn't he start cloning himself? Like...keep a few clones of himself around, and sleep in a modified learning bed to record his memories too, and tell Brock that if he dies, go ahead and "use" one of the clones?

Yeah, the clones would be much younger versions of himself, but that really seems almost like a bonus. As soon as you use one, put another in the tank, and always have a few spares for accidental death, and you can live into your mid 40's or 50, kill yourself, and voila, brand new 20-something year old body. Do the same with Brock (well, if he wants) so that only one person has to "keep the secret" and gives him incentive to stick around to ensure you don't die without someone forgetting to tale a new clone-slug out of the tube.

If anyone asks, just say you perfected a youth treatment, not cloning, and that for "science reasons" it only works with your DNA so you cant' sell it.

Not doing this very thing for every single person is the greatest *failure* of in the universe of the show.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Bolding mine.)

But he, himself, would die. Sure, a clone with his memories upto a few days or weeks (maybe months depending on how long the "mission" that took his life was) would be alive, but not the Rusty Venture he knows. It'll be some other Rusty Venture.

He probably had bad feelings about the second Hank and Dean not being the real Hank and Dean but then got over it - part of the comedic sociopathy everyone in this show has. (edit: hell, Dean got over the fact that he was a clone, eventually) I don't think he had the whole thing planned out from the start, he cobbled it together when the boys first died.

Sure, you can play Eclipse Phase and think "Hey, technical immortality is cool!" but your character isn't going to be slitting their throat to give the "ride" a try. It could make sense in an "emergency backup" plan, but then he could think that the idea that he would "survive" in such a way would sit at the back of his head and dull his "fight or flight" senses and thus lead to his first death. This is Rusty Venture - I think he'd rather he doesn't die at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

LashLightning posted:

But he, himself, would die. Sure, a clone with his memories upto a few days or weeks (maybe months depending on how long the "mission" that took his life was) would be alive, but not the Rusty Venture he knows. It'll be some other Rusty Venture.

Whenever a discussion of cloning comes up, it always reminds me of this old cartoon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc