Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I actually have donator status on my account for tome because I pitched some money directly to darkgod, is there any way I can take advantage of this and get it through steam without having to donate again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

I actually have donator status on my account for tome because I pitched some money directly to darkgod, is there any way I can take advantage of this and get it through steam without having to donate again?

I believe he's working on it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goto the website, log in to your profile. Click the steam tab. There is a button there to add the game on steam if you've already donated.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Thanks guys. Also like someone asked earlier, are there any tiles for tome that aren't the defaults or OldRPG?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I wonder how difficult it would be to convert the RL tileset used in crawl over to tome. The tileset is readily available here: http://opengameart.org/content/dungeon-crawl-32x32-tiles

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Naar posted:

I've played it for a while now, I agree that it would be more fun if it weren't so punishing. I think the developer has the attitude that actually winning the game should be a once-in-a-lifetime event. It also seems like the saving and loading mechanics are broken at the moment since you can lose the permanent intrinsics from your initial trait choices and it doesn't save the spells you know. You can permanently kill reanimated corpses, though - either kill them in such a way that they don't leave a corpse, such as by doing lots of damage in one hit, or re-kill them once and they stop resurrecting.

I think that's where I have a big problem with it. One of the reasons I love roguelikes is that a big part of it is knowing that, at least in part, I made a mistake which led to my death. I'd rather have a game where I'll end up losing 99% of my characters, they all could potentially ascend outside of the freak case of a gnome with a wand of death or what have you, rather then 1% of my characters even standing a chance. But I'll still probably keep my eyes on it if only because it's not bogged down in features nor is it too light for my tastes.

Edit: Even in a game like IVAN it doesn't feel as unfair. I dunno though, maybe it needs to grow on me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Space Bat posted:

I think that's where I have a big problem with it. One of the reasons I love roguelikes is that a big part of it is knowing that, at least in part, I made a mistake which led to my death. I'd rather have a game where I'll end up losing 99% of my characters, they all could potentially ascend outside of the freak case of a gnome with a wand of death or what have you, rather then 1% of my characters even standing a chance. But I'll still probably keep my eyes on it if only because it's not bogged down in features nor is it too light for my tastes.

Edit: Even in a game like IVAN it doesn't feel as unfair. I dunno though, maybe it needs to grow on me.

I haven't found it -way- too punishing as of yet. I've mostly just been saving my resources for when I absolutely know I'll need them, though. Only gotten to around level 8 I think before getting hosed up by something I'm pretty sure I could have avoided. It could definitely use some work in my opinion, especially when it comes to the fact that some status ailments can pretty much be death sentences since they last goddamn forever. The game is right on the edge of being a fun and relatively short roguelike, but yeah, it does feel a little bit unfair in how harshly it treats the character. The unfortunate bit is that it feels like there really isn't anything I could have done with the tools I had sometimes when I die.

Also, having all of your spirit drained should just shoot up your insanity by a fair chunk instead of outright killing you. Starting as an Occultist seems to be basically useless since you won't be able to cast anything you know until like 6 levels from then when you might possibly have a spirit pool large enough to eliminate at least 90% of the instant kill chance. It's pretty neat overall, and I hope it gets even better with more updates. (Hopefully on the more balanced side.)

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I haven't found it -way- too punishing as of yet. I've mostly just been saving my resources for when I absolutely know I'll need them, though. Only gotten to around level 8 I think before getting hosed up by something I'm pretty sure I could have avoided. It could definitely use some work in my opinion, especially when it comes to the fact that some status ailments can pretty much be death sentences since they last goddamn forever. The game is right on the edge of being a fun and relatively short roguelike, but yeah, it does feel a little bit unfair in how harshly it treats the character. The unfortunate bit is that it feels like there really isn't anything I could have done with the tools I had sometimes when I die.

Also, having all of your spirit drained should just shoot up your insanity by a fair chunk instead of outright killing you. Starting as an Occultist seems to be basically useless since you won't be able to cast anything you know until like 6 levels from then when you might possibly have a spirit pool large enough to eliminate at least 90% of the instant kill chance. It's pretty neat overall, and I hope it gets even better with more updates. (Hopefully on the more balanced side.)
I find Occultist can be useful because you sometimes start with a Manuscript of Sacrifice Spirit, which is more or less a healing spell on tap. It does seem like most spells are too draining to cast, though the more Mythos knowledge you get, the lower the Spirit costs are.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So we're one day past the end of my contest but if anyone wants to jump in at the last minute, please do. I won't have winners announced until tomorrow.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
So I just cleared pixel dungeon with the first rogue I got past tengu. Free runner is ludicrously powerful. I'm expecting assassin to be pretty nice in the early game as well.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

andrew smash posted:

So I just cleared pixel dungeon with the first rogue I got past tengu. Free runner is ludicrously powerful. I'm expecting assassin to be pretty nice in the early game as well.

I rage uninstalled pixel dungeon from my phone.

I feel like unless I get a good armor early on it's just too much. I'm not sure why there is even a resting mechanic when I'm constantly starving and have to eat the food on each floor just to keep my head above water. If I rush floors after finding the food I'm not high enough level to hit/dodge. It's a crapshoot getting to the first shop because you have to beat the goo to do it. If I haven't found enough potions by the time I get to the goo I might as well restart. The enemies that steal items are just a horrible annoyance more than an interesting game mechanic.

The only time I've ever done well was when the Ankh bug was still in the game and I abused it to do each floor more than once and reset my hunger.

I really want to like that game but I just don't.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

drink_bleach posted:

I rage uninstalled pixel dungeon from my phone.

I feel like unless I get a good armor early on it's just too much. I'm not sure why there is even a resting mechanic when I'm constantly starving and have to eat the food on each floor just to keep my head above water. If I rush floors after finding the food I'm not high enough level to hit/dodge. It's a crapshoot getting to the first shop because you have to beat the goo to do it. If I haven't found enough potions by the time I get to the goo I might as well restart. The enemies that steal items are just a horrible annoyance more than an interesting game mechanic.

The only time I've ever done well was when the Ankh bug was still in the game and I abused it to do each floor more than once and reset my hunger.

I really want to like that game but I just don't.

Sorry you struggled with it. If you want to try it again, try focusing on damage mitigation. Armor is only one kind. Use your darts, abuse doors for guaranteed hits (thereby decreasing the number of rounds in combat), etc. Don't rest, regen on the move. Remember that hot springs restore life and return you to full health. There are enough turns' worth of food to last you but not enough to dawdle.

You don't really need a stack of healing potions to kill Goo, you need positioning. Use fire plant seeds to burn it, stand in water on an earthbloom seed. If you have to, abuse the up stairs to hit it and heal in safety.

Edit: don't hoard your seeds. They're powerful consumables, just more difficult to use than potions, but they have a nice advantage in that they come identified. it's embarrassing to die with an earth bloom or sungrass in your inventory. Fadeleaf is a great escape tool. The fire and poison seeds are useful in hallways, etc.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 17, 2013

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I like pixel dungeon but I don't think I have ever made it past the third or fourth floor more than once. I think I got to Goo once before I was promptly murdered.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've been playing Nethack (half-heartedly) off and on for probably over a decade and finally ascended for the first time with a Samurai :woop:

Kind of sad but oh well.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Goo is easy, just kite him to the stairs and go up when he starts charging, or you need to heal/wash.

I've beaten the third boss like, once, with a warrior. Cannot even get to the second boss with a rogue, but feel like I stand a chance with the other two.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I beat goo the first time I saw him. I someone had like 3 sleeping potions and would just put him to sleep and attack him.

Didn't make it very far on the next floor, and haven't been able to get to him since.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Corridor posted:

Goo is easy, just kite him to the stairs and go up when he starts charging, or you need to heal/wash.

I've beaten the third boss like, once, with a warrior. Cannot even get to the second boss with a rogue, but feel like I stand a chance with the other two.

Rogue is solid, bit of a rough start but it's worth it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Levitate posted:

I've been playing Nethack (half-heartedly) off and on for probably over a decade and finally ascended for the first time with a Samurai :woop:

Kind of sad but oh well.

Congrats :toot:

I'm pretty sure it took me about that long as well, granted, I started when I was a kid. Oh god I'm so old :saddowns:

After that first one I ascended several others in rapid succession - it really helps your confidence to get that first win in.

Something else that helped me immensely was teaching someone else to play - when you're explaining everything it naturally slows down your play, which is always the safest way to play any roguelike.

That and realizing that Never Melee is the best way to melee, until you're suitably invincible :v:

I can't play Nethack any more these days, too much fiddly ui bullshit, but I still have a soft spot for it, such a wealth of gameplay options and so many random goofy funny tidbits. We need a modern Nethack - Dredmore and Dungeonmans ain't quite it.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Levitate posted:

Kind of sad but oh well.

Nice! What equipment were you rolling at the end? I still need to try nethack again. It's definitely one of those games I wish I was good at, like doomRL.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Dungeons of the Endless is interesting but frustrating. You cannot zoom out at all and there's no way to move all your heroes with the same button, so in order to move around you may have to shift between up to four heroes quickly and try to keep track of them on a very zoomed in maze.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

victrix posted:

That and realizing that Never Melee is the best way to melee, until you're suitably invincible :v:

Is it possible to get enough arrows/ya to never bother hitting things with your sword(s)? I haven't played Nethack in a decade and was always a dumbass "I hit it with my swords" guy.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Is it possible to get enough arrows/ya to never bother hitting things with your sword(s)? I haven't played Nethack in a decade and was always a dumbass "I hit it with my swords" guy.

It's possible, yeah, but ranged combat is terrible in nethack. There's no auto pickup thrown in vanilla, and you can only attack in cardinal directions. Every class will kill most enemies in melee combat, even casters. Judicious use of Elbereth is pretty much required for characters that start out weak.

This is the reason valkyries are a great newbie class since they can just mash face into most enemies from turn 1.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

..btt posted:

There's no auto pickup thrown in vanilla, and you can only attack in cardinal directions.

You can set up a custom auto pickup rule to pick up any items that match a certain pattern.
Set it to pick up any item that ends in "mine" or whatever string you want. Once you pick up stack of daggers etc, just name the stack and they should be automatically picked up.

Keeping a stack of daggers to throw is pretty important / useful for several classes. Definitely for wizards, since you want dagger skill anyways for the artifact dagger. I'm almost certain you could throw in any direction, too. Once you skill up to throw multiple daggers per throw, it can be incredibly powerful, while conserving your mana. Using autopickup, its also faster since you don't use an action to pick them up manually, you just have to move onto the tile the daggers are on, so its advantageous if you need to pick up daggers mid fight (you will need to do this).
A stack of enchanted daggers thrown 4 at a time can murder things.

Similarly, you can set up a custom rule to never pick up some patterns. I had one for "empty" so I could name empty wands, drop them, and make sure autopickup never grabbed those particular ones again, while picking up any other wands.

I played the windows version, so I just had the following lines in my defaults.nh file:
code:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*dagger*mine"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*empty"

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Oh, my bad, I thought that required a patch. I always play on nao and usually use interhack, so have plenty of options myself, just didn't think it was in base 3.4.3.

E: for targeting I mean in, e.g. sil or crawl you can target an enemy, whereas in nethack you can only shoot in a direction. This makes it far less useful, since most monsters avoid standing in a straight line from you.

..btt fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 17, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm beginning to think I should just let the bad old days stay bad and old and go play something from the last decade.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I wouldn't go that far - nethack is still my favourite roguelike. It's just playing exclusively ranged characters is painful for no real benefit. It's definitely an old-school roguelike though, stay clear if that's not your thing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Space Bat posted:

Nice! What equipment were you rolling at the end? I still need to try nethack again. It's definitely one of those games I wish I was good at, like doomRL.

All my armor was either +4 or +5: Silver dragon scale mail, cloak of magic resistance, helm of brilliance, gauntlets of power, boots of speed, and a Hawaiian shirt. Total AC of -39

Was dual wielding a +7 Excalibur and a +6 Katana (that got knocked down to +4 because I was impatient with some disenchanters). Could maybe have been running something better but I was destroying everything anyways.

Couple amulets of life saving, ring of invisibility, ring of freedom (free action? Can't remember, keeps you from being paralyzed) with a ring of levitation for when I needed it. Blessed bag of holding, blessed luckstone, etc

rolled for a lot of the early game with a cloak of displacement that I found early which helped a lot, and I found the ring of invis early too. Also found a bunch of magic lamps which let me get the armor and boots of speed "early" (I think I got the armor after the gnome mines). Also found a ton of magic markers but ended up having to wish for scrolls of enchant armor because I hadn't run into any by the time I was getting into Gehennom, but I was able to enchant the hell out of everything since I had all the markers.

Once I was decked out I really only came close to dying once and that was just getting under 100 hp in the astral plane, and I had 3 or 4 potions of full healing. I also didn't run into Demogorgan this time which was handy since that ended several good run throughs in the past...

Genocided arch-liches :argh:

So, cool, I think next time I try it I'll have to pick a different class that's not as easy, but we'll see, I kind of want to give Angband another shot. I tried it and the controls are just different enough from Nethack that it was kind of frustrating.

Also regarding close range combat, the early game isn't that bad with a combat character, since the enemies are weak and you level up relatively quickly. It's kind of the gnome mines to medusa or castle level that can get you if you're not careful. I tend to make careful use of a bow for enemies I know are trouble until I get some good armor and then it's usually not so bad to melee most stuff

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Don't play angband, play sil instead.

Seriously. Nobody likes angband.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

ToME is great. Really enjoying the pickup. Glad they put it on Steam or I wouldn't have found it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Levitate posted:

Also regarding close range combat, the early game isn't that bad with a combat character, since the enemies are weak and you level up relatively quickly. It's kind of the gnome mines to medusa or castle level that can get you if you're not careful. I tend to make careful use of a bow for enemies I know are trouble until I get some good armor and then it's usually not so bad to melee most stuff

I find most people vastly underestimate the importance of a good weapon. It's at least as important as good armour, and many classes start with poo poo weapons (arc, you may be the best class in the game, but your whip sucks). A curved sword (scimitar) will carry most classes until they have an artifact weapon, or can be enchanted for a passable end-game weapon. Orcs often carry them.

Also, that man up there is right. Sil is fantastic. Angband bores me to tears.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Like the others mentioned, it can be really strong, with a stack of enchanted daggers and appropriate skill. But even without, just using thrown/range stuff early and running away from anything remotely dangerous hugely increases your life expectancy.

Really the main thing though is just using thrown stuff early in the game when you're still a pussy. Nethack is happy to let you become overconfident very strong in melee pretty fast once you acquire a few pieces of the right kit, so it's not something you have to do all game.

I think that's one of the reasons that classes like Valkyrie and Samurai are 'easier' to ascend, you can start off face mashing and do ok in comparison to some of the other classes that start with crap gear.

Also if you still enjoy playing it, do try a Wizard sometime. They're a little slow to start, but the mid and late game is so much fun when you can fling around powerful spells with ease.

I've tried playing some of the newer source ports/tiles versions of Nethack, but I just really don't like any of them. I always played Nethack in ascii, and I no longer like either ascii or the Nethack ui, so I just don't really play it anymore, which is a shame.

Gehenna can gently caress right off though. I even tried a few mods that replaced it and even they were still a slog. Probably one of the reasons I enjoyed my Wizard run - I magic mapped and dug straight tunnels between every staircase in that hellhole (haw). Made descent and escape so much faster.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah that's true as well, good armor doesn't help if it takes you forever to kill enemies, especially ones who hit hard and often.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

victrix posted:

I can't play Nethack any more these days, too much fiddly ui bullshit, but I still have a soft spot for it, such a wealth of gameplay options and so many random goofy funny tidbits. We need a modern Nethack - Dredmore and Dungeonmans ain't quite it.

There was a time (2009ish) when I had considered taking Dungeonmans down the more serious simulation route, but I turned away. It didn't feel like the type of game I really wanted to make, I sort of felt like I was just checking off Roguelike Checkboxes. Complex inventory, weight, special pickup commands, stuff like oh you got wet some point within the last 50 rounds so this cold attack hurts 2% more and if your stremf is too low you might catch a cold which will cause you to sneeze and ruin your stealth but also gives you a +5 defense against nasal maladies such as disease mold and...

The other two things were UI considerations, and that I had gone with sprites instead of tiles so I'd need a lot more work to convey the massive bestiary a real Nethack evolution would have.

What are the core things you'd carry forward if you were bringing Nethack into the glistening neon future?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I think the stand-out for me with nethack is that items, even mundane things like a towel, have utility in the game. It's the complex interactions like mirror+medusa or potion alchemy that let you do something unusual to get out of a bind that give it character that I find lacking in a game like crawl. That and the few non-random levels.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would totally play a roguelike where you can roll your ankle turning a corner and have your leg give out 750k turns later while fighting a dragon as a result because your boot doesn't fit quite right now that your ankle is slightly swollen.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would totally play a roguelike where you can roll your ankle turning a corner and have your leg give out 750k turns later while fighting a dragon as a result because your boot doesn't fit quite right now that your ankle is slightly swollen.

Trenchfoot RPG : The best item is Thin Wool Socks of Dryness + 3 [New]

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone make a game where you're a virus/bacteria/parasite and you have to make the hero sick and otherwise inconvenience them as they automatically clear a dungeon.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

What are the core things you'd carry forward if you were bringing Nethack into the glistening neon future?

Item interactions, and by extension, world interaction. Nothing else comes close to the number of crazy ways you can interact with items, monsters, and the world as Nethack.

Also to be clear that wasn't a knock on Dmans or Dredmore - I like both games, they're just the only 'whimsical' roguelikes I can think of. Crawl is comparatively 'serious' and bleached of amusement or any significant item interactivity either.

I'd also drop the entire id minigame, because gently caress that minigame. In general the 'gotchas' in Nethack are poo poo design imo, as the majority of them are 'once you know this, you're safe, before that, you die and get to restart!'

Nethack isn't any less fun when I have lots of fun things to play with, but the design of the game works to prevent you from getting to that point as a new player.

In most roguelikes, the vast majority of complexity comes from combat mechanics, interactivity is usually way lower on the list, if present at all.

When combat is the only 'language' you have to speak to the game, there's less 'dialogue' you can have with the world - and you're straining the limits of creativity to come up with new and interesting ways to make 3x3 grid combat and letterbumping engaging.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

In most roguelikes, the vast majority of complexity comes from combat mechanics, interactivity is usually way lower on the list, if present at all.
I don't know what roguelikes you're playing but most of them do not have complex combat mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Give Dwarf Fortress a couple more years and I imagine this is where adventure mode will be going.

madjackmcmad posted:

I think the trouble with this question is it's kind of like "Which vital organs would you like to bring with you on vacation?" NetHack is a combination of so many different elements refined over decades that you can't really just pick out individual pieces any more and say "This is what makes NetHack good". Any attempt to modernize it would really have to just be a UI thing.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 17, 2013