Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Its probably that arena shooter Cliff Bleszinski was talking about lately.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/11/5200922/cliff-bleszinski-next-game-first-person-arena-shooter-pc
I haven't heard of any kickstarted FPS yet.

There have been a few, notably Takedown: Red Sabre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Its probably that arena shooter Cliff Bleszinski was talking about lately.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/11/5200922/cliff-bleszinski-next-game-first-person-arena-shooter-pc
I haven't heard of any kickstarted FPS yet.
Id love to play the spiritual successor of Unreal Tournament with the writing of Planescape: Torment.

Whoa cliffyb is still alive.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Great Rumbler posted:

There have been a few, notably Takedown: Red Sabre.

Which you should never, ever play.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Paranautical Activity is another Kickstarted FPS.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Line Feed posted:

Which you should never, ever play.

Giantbomb's got you covered(kinda)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

As it is with all games like this, I spend a lot of time thinking about which class I'm going to play. Is there any chance I could play a Cipher like a psychic detective, or is it simply going change how my character contributes to combat encounters?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Evil Sagan posted:

As it is with all games like this, I spend a lot of time thinking about which class I'm going to play. Is there any chance I could play a Cipher like a psychic detective, or is it simply going change how my character contributes to combat encounters?

it sounds like the classes will contribute more toward combat than anything, while your outside roleplay options will come in the form of that other page of skills.
It would be pretty cool to have solid crossover between the two, though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Evil Sagan posted:

Ciphers can occasionally in conversation sense things about a person's soul, but there will not be frequent (or detailed) mind-reading escapades.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

rope kid posted:

Ciphers can occasionally in conversation sense things about a person's soul, but there will not be frequent (or detailed) mind-reading escapades.

Do all classes have special conversations like that or is it just for a few classes?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Kurtofan posted:

Do all classes have special conversations like that or is it just for a few classes?

quote:

(Fighter): "You braggart, that blade's never seen battle. Even repaired and polished no blade keeps an edge that keen after fighting with it."

Etc.?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Exactly!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kurtofan posted:

All classes will, though class-gated dialogue will be uncommon overall.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rope kid posted:

It's probably a safe assumption that race, heritage, and attribute score/skills will dictate more of that specialized dialogue.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rope kid posted:

Is it only available to the PC, or if a party member would qualify for the gated dialogue can they butt in?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FauxGateau posted:

It's probably a safe assumption that race, heritage, and attribute score/skills will dictate more of that specialized dialogue.

Yeah that would be fair, I think those are more interesting than class related dialogue.

rope kid posted:

Thanks.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Is it only available to the PC, or if a party member would qualify for the gated dialogue can they butt in?

I think it was said in one of the interviews that the PC is almost always the target for dialogue, and companions are limited to interjecting if they can offer something of use.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Whole pile of words on picking your items & NPCs:

J.E. Sawyer posted:

Hi, Sykid.  It's a balancing act, because we don't want to do lore and mechanics dumps on the world this far ahead of the game being finished, but here are some things to help with both items and characters:

Items:
* Please, if it's at all possible, consider making something that is not a sword.  I think we say this in the survey, but I'd like to repeat it here.  There are no junk weapon types in Pillars of Eternity.  Even daggers and clubs are good weapons.  The same applies to armor and shields.  Every type has trade-offs, so if you want to make a suit of awesome padded armor, someone will wear it.

* Many D&Dish effects can go on weapons, armor, and shields.  That said, there are also many abilities that are unique to PoE and we will suggest them if the idea of your item seems to fit.  At a basic level, all weapons and armor can have a quality modifier of Fine, Exceptional, and Superior that roughly correlate to +1, +2, and +3 (not quite, but close enough).  This game is equivalent to a low- to mid-level D&D campaign, so Sun Blades and +5s are too macho.

* Materials like drake/dragon bone can be used in items, but whatever material you specify, try to make it fit with the idea of the weapon.  A dragon bone club, spear, or stiletto is more fitting than a dragon bone battle axe or mace.  Mithril and adamantine are not materials in PoE.  Steel is overwhelmingly used for most metal weapons and armor, with five grades of interest: Wyflan (good steel), March (great steel, more damage, protects better), Ymyran (great steel that is "blackened", faster/lighter), Durgan (super steel from the lost forges of Durgan's Battery) and Skein (like Durgan steel, but very new technology, made with really horrible soul magic).

* Copper and living adra (an abalone shell-like material) are often used to bind souls and magical energy into items.

* The timeline of the civilized world is not "Realmsian".  The Dyrwood and the Vailian Republics have only been colonized for a few centuries.  The Glanfathans have lived in Eir Glanfath for two millennia.  Before them, it was occupied by a relatively unknown civilization known as the Engwithans (who built most of the monuments and holy sites that the Glanfathans now guard).  The Aedyr Empire is about 600 years old (well, Aedyr as a nation is that old).  Old Valia as an empire was about 1500 years old but has collapsed by the current day.  The main point is that more than 4,000 years ago, civilization was extremely modest, not advanced.

Characters:
* Any NPCs you make could be from the following local/directly involved places... 
- The Dyrwood - Focus of the game, colonial area full of once-Aedyran humans and elves.  Hardworking, surly pioneers in the country, animancers in the city. More-or-less blew up a god in the Saint's War which (in the new timeline) happened about 10-15 years ago.  Dyrwoodan virtues: independence, perseverance, sacrifice, communal hospitality, and vigilantism/feuding.  Dyrwoodan vices: servility, shirking (responsibilities), selfishness, lingering (near Engwithan ruins), "facepainting" (pejorative term for sympathizing with/acting like a Glanfathan).

- Eir Glanfath - Deeper forest to the east of the Dyrwood.  Once in conflict with the Dyrwood, now (mostly) at peace. Less tech advanced, more communal.  Protect the Engwithan ruins. Orlans, elves, some dwarves.  Glanfathan virtues: cleverness, subterfuge, frugality, communality, mathematic aptitude.  Glanfathan vices: selfishness, cowardice, vanity, social intoxication, token gestures (as opposed to meaningful action).

- Vailian Republics - The most successful offshoot of Old Valia, these colonies sit to the southeast of the Dyrwood and south of Eir Glanfath, past a mountain range. They are a group of allied city states who mostly wield economic power.  Mostly humans and dwarves.  Vailian virtues: success, shrewdness, restraint, wit, polymathism.  Vailian vices: failure, bad style (i.e. doing something not in the "Vailian way"), bluntness, dullness, mercilessness.

- Aedyr Empire - The source of the colonists who settled the Dyrwood and Readceras.  Lost both to revolutions, though the Dyrwoodan revolution was far bloodier than the Readceran one that followed.  Much younger than Old Valia, but still in existence, which is worth something.  Overwhelmingly human and elven. Aedyran virtues: duty, efficiency, loyalty, modesty (not of dress, but of character), purity.  Aedyran vices: inconstancy, sloth, sloppiness, impunctuality, mixing work/leisure.

- Penitential Regency of Readceras - Quasi-theocratic state ruled by priests for their patron, St. Waidwen, and their god, Eothas, both of whom seem to have disappeared at the end of the Saint's War (which they started and the Dyrwood ended).  The prevailing attitude is that they failed Eothas and Waidwen and must do penance to regain their favor.  Readceran virtues: optimism, faith, propriety (proper behavior for your age, sex, and social class), vigilance, discipline.  Readceran vices: pessimism, doubt, deviance, rebelliousness, aimlessness.

... or these remote regions, which are relatively far away:

- Deadfire Archipelago - Quite a ways south of the Dyrwood, a wide archipelago of small volcanic island nations.  Naasitaq, home of many boreal dwarves and aumaua, is the biggest and most stable nation around.  Various nations and empires fight over the islands, to the east of which are sea monsters that invariably annihilate any ships that attempt to go exploring (many of them dwarven).

- Ixamitl Plains - Northeast of Eir Glanfath, the Ixamitl Plains are large expanses of fertile savannas.  Mostly occupied by humans and orlans, though the orlans have a bad history with the humans.  The Ixamitl culture is one of the oldest continuous cultures in the world, going back a little earlier than Old Vailia.  However, they are the least imperalistic large nation around, having only expanded their borders slightly in centuries.  Among other things, they are known for their contributions to philosophy.

- The Living Lands - A frontier island area in the far north, a land of wild weather, strange beasts, and hundreds of difficult to reach valleys containing oddities never before seen (according to the people who find them) by mortals.  It's a lawless land where communities band together, fall apart, and fight petty wars with each other constantly.  Has a reputation for breeding oddballs and madmen.  The racial mix in the area is extremely diverse but not necessarily harmonious.  Dwarves, propelled by their desire to explore, are very common here, even among the mix.

- Old Vailia - Once the crown jewel of the southern seas, the crumbling island nations of Old Vailia sit thousands of miles to the southwest of their offshoot, the Vailian Republics.  Humans and dwarves are common.  They are renowned for their great culture and history of accomplishments, though the rest of the world considers them to be far past their prime.  The nations that once made up the empire are engaged in a continuous war for dominance that has been going on (and off, and on again) for over two hundred years.

- Rauatai Gulf - Dominated by the aumaua of Rauatai, the gulf to the north of Ixamitl Plains is the trade center for several nations of aumaua, orlans, and dwarves.  The land is rich with resources, but hotly contested.  And in all matters, Rauatai and its powerful navy almost always gain the upper hand.  The whole region is also relentlessly pummeled by storms for half the year.

- The White that Wends - A huge southern expanse of polar ice occupied only by pale elves, some boreal dwarves, and a few really brave individuals from other lands.  It is considered mythic -- or at least inhospitable -- by most people from "civilized" areas.  Virtually no plant life grows in the White, but somehow its residents manage to survive from year to year.

Class combat foci:

Barbarians have great group-fighting abilities (both melee offense and personal defense).

Chanters have cycling lists of low power, high AoE passive buffs and debuffs and they can periodically use invocations, which are pretty powerful spells.

Ciphers are offensively-oriented psionicists/soulknives (more or less) who build Focus (their resource) through conventional weapon attacks.

Druids are crowd control kings and their beast modes give them nice single-target strikes + various special powers.

Fighters can withstand a freight train, hold a line against charging enemies (are "sticky"), knock down enemies, passively regenerate Stamina in combat, and have reliable attacks + weapon specialization.

Monks convert temporary damage-over-time stacks (Wounds, their resource) into magical abilities.  They are melee-focused but have a pretty wide variety of single-target and group attacks.  They can use their bare hands (which get more powerful as they level) but can use most of their powers with standard melee weapons.

Paladins have modal auras, powerful single-target support abilities, high defenses, and a Smite analogue in Flames of Devotion.

Priests have better support abilities, worse defenses, and some crowd control abilities that paladins completely lack. Also a few single-target strike spells.

Rangers and rogues both lack crowd control capabilities, but rangers have the edge defensively due to range and the interference their animal companions can run. Animal companions share Stamina and Health with the ranger, but they are very durable, DT-wise.

Rogues have the highest single-hit damage potential and they have a lot of ways to qualify for Sneak Attacks. There are no creature type restrictions on Sneak Attack and it's automatically triggered by a lot of different conditions on the target. Additionally, rogues gain more and more ways to cause those conditions!

Wizards can learn a huge array of spells with a variety of effects, mostly focused on group offense, single-target strikes, and personal defense.  They cast directly from grimoires that hold a limited number of their total spells.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Those checks are only made on the PC. Individual companions are specifically scripted to butt in when it makes sense for their character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a particular stat I'm gonna want to pump to be a chatty-Kathy or are stats factoring into dialogues going to be spread around the stats? (If this has been answered I kind of haven't followed this thread for a while, so I may have missed it.)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really hope someone makes a kickass unique spear or something, because goddamn do I love me some spears. How are you handling them in the engine? Larger area of engagement in return for slower attacks?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That's a good question. Since the player character is the only character in the party whose social skill matters in a party-based RPG, this could pre-decide a lot for me in terms of character creation.

EDIT: Actually, I made an assumption. That's how it worked in Dragon Age, but I think in Baldur's Gate you can actually choose whose charisma score affects the interaction.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Lotish posted:

Is there a particular stat I'm gonna want to pump to be a chatty-Kathy or are stats factoring into dialogues going to be spread around the stats? (If this has been answered I kind of haven't followed this thread for a while, so I may have missed it.)

There isn't a CHA analogue. The six you've got to play with are strength, dexterity, constitution, intellect, perception & resolve.

Also I seem to remember one of the OEI devs posting that they weren't a fan of social skills in general. Something about it destroying a lot of RP options iirc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

coffeetable posted:

There isn't a CHA analogue. The six you've got to play with are strength, dexterity, constitution, intellect, perception & resolve.

Yeah, but in the original Fallouts, for example, Intelligence was what you needed to get access to dialogue nodes, and not just ones involving science skills; hence the question.

coffeetable posted:

Also I seem to remember one of the OEI devs posting that they weren't a fan of social skills in general. Something about it destroying a lot of RP options iirc.

That sounds like a good thing, I think.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lotish posted:

Is there a particular stat I'm gonna want to pump to be a chatty-Kathy or are stats factoring into dialogues going to be spread around the stats?
They're going to be spread around. The physical stats will also see representation, though more often in scripted interactions (the "CYOA" illustrated sequences) than in dialogues.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
It's going to be like God Save The Queen, isn't it, where getting high enough to check-pass one think means it's not possible to check-pass another, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ravenfood posted:

I really hope someone makes a kickass unique spear or something, because goddamn do I love me some spears. How are you handling them in the engine? Larger area of engagement in return for slower attacks?

Spears should be fast, and do either piercing or crushing damage depending on the type of attack, along with an extra bit for defense.
:colbert:

Your suggestion is more of a giant warhammer with a sticky bit at the end. Having long range with slow attacks is just boring if that's what every two handed thing turns out to be.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
For better or for worse I've submitted my NPC. I don't know how Ropekid and co. can do this stuff. But I think I got the most important detail right though:

quote:

Just give me one of those sweet feathered hats with the brims.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ravenfood posted:

"Regular" one-handed spears have an inherent Accuracy (to-hit) bonus. Pikes have increased range, but are two-handed. Both do piercing damage.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hank Morgan posted:

For better or for worse I've submitted my NPC. I don't know how Ropekid and co. can do this stuff. But I think I got the most important detail right though:

Pillars of Eternity GOTY 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just want to see some tooltips. Is that weird of me? I like tooltips. Are there going to be tooltips? I hope there are tooltips. :spergin:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Man, I really wish I had had the money to put up for the NPC option. :(

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 17, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Wahey, attribute details:

rope kid posted:

Strength affects your Health and number of inventory slots. Constitution affects Stamina. Dexterity affects Accuracy. Perception affects Critical Damage. Intellect affects Damage and Healing. Resolve affects Durations and AoE size. We may slightly shift these, but this is what we will be working with in the foreseeable future.

Each defense (other than Deflection) is equally influenced by two stats. Aside from level, the attributes that contribute to each defense are the primary determining factors of that defense. Class (now) rarely has a large influence on a character's defenses.

Fortitude - Strength and Constitution
Reflexes - Dexterity and Perception
Willpower - Intellect and Resolve

Deflection is the exception to this. While Fort/Ref/Will share roughly equal time in defending characters, Deflection is the most commonly-attacked defense. It is not influenced by any attribute and is mostly determined by level and class. Characters like fighters and paladins have great base Deflection. Characters like priests and wizards do not.

I'm a fan of how this sounds. No skillpoints stat, no social stat, no class-specific interactions, and each of the six makes a major contribution to combat ability. What's even more impressive is that the couplings actually make sense too.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 17, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I was actually inspired by the D&D Next playtest because they were using straight ability scores for saving throws. I didn't like the specifics as much (I think six defenses is a lot, especially when some are very rarely attacked) but I liked the idea of getting rid of class as a contributor to non-AC-like defenses. I had previously made a 3.5/Pathfinder saving throw modification where an average of two scores, rounded up, provided the save bonus (e.g. 13 Int and 18 Dex = 15.5 = +3 to Reflex) but the normal class/level bonuses were still part of the formula. Eternity uses a 100 point scale for most things, so it was easy enough to just make the attributes contribute to defenses without averaging them or bringing class into the mix.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Strength affecting number of inventory slots is a really stupid idea, holy poo poo. Every other attribute is purely combat-related except for this one thing that you're going to have to pump if you want to carry any important items (especially if weapon swapping is as important as it's been implied to be). :psyduck:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So can you still build a social 'speech' character, like I always like doing in Fallout or whatever, or does it not really have a 'diplomat' build?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

AXE COP posted:

Strength affecting number of inventory slots is a really stupid idea, holy poo poo. Every other attribute is purely combat-related except for this one thing that you're going to have to pump if you want to carry any important items (especially if weapon swapping is as important as it's been implied to be). :psyduck:
That's a very strong reaction considering that you have a stash for the majority of the party's items that aren't in current use. Also equipped items (including all weapons in sets, whether active or not) are not part of a character's inventory limits.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Okay yeah, maybe that was an overreaction, but it still seems unnecessary and inconsistent with every other attribute purely being combat-related.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fintilgin posted:

So can you still build a social 'speech' character, like I always like doing in Fallout or whatever, or does it not really have a 'diplomat' build?

I think the advantage of spreading the speech options over the attributes is that every character is a 'diplomat' build, it's just what kind of diplomat do you want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

AXE COP posted:

Okay yeah, maybe that was an overreaction, but it still seems unnecessary and inconsistent with every other attribute purely being combat-related.

Because of the insert-only stash, I think inventory size is purely combat related. Any non-combat related items get chucked in the stash, so strength effectively limits the amount of "specialist" kit and the number of consumables that you can lug around with you.

• Locked thread