Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't know what roguelikes you're playing but most of them do not have complex combat mechanics.

I think he means complex in terms of breadth of decision-making to be done during combat, not necessarily many abilities to use. To me ToME, crawl, nethack, etc all fall under this category, do you disagree? I had to double-take at this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I dunno most of the roguelikes I've played, aside from ToME boil down to "mash into enemy in a 1 tile corridor"

But I'm bad at roguelikes and hoard wands and scrolls like an idiot and never play spellcasting classes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think you're underselling it a little bit. When to stand your ground/reposition/run away/use a consumable is interesting, though obviously that doesn't happen in every encounter. To me the combat is defined by the tough encounters, ie, the ones where hitting tab a bunch won't always work. How one reacts to changing circumstances over the course of an encounter is where the complexity is.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hey, can I offer one more write-up for the contest? Because I went back to Hack Slash Loot the other night and I think it deserves a mention. Also seems germane to the discussion underway.

Hack Slash Loot
Cost: $7.00

Genre: Turn-based Action RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
Let's Plays: None that I know of
Forks: No

Do not play this game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Okay, seriously... Do you want a roguelike without any of the progression or strategy of the classics? One with no levels, no skills, no crafting, and no direction? Then you MIGHT like Hack Slash Loot, depending on your tolerance of RNG fuckery. The game drops you into a nondescript dungeon upon picking one of maybe half a dozen quests and sends you off to hunt and peck through samey rooms and corridors. The ONLY character progression in the game is finding new gear laying around. That's also 50% of the game right there, because the other half is mashing your face (or mouse button if you're the archer) against random enemies. There is very little no strategy to battles other than filtering enemies through narrow halls and doorways.

Your success or failure in the game is entirely dependent on what the RNG decides to give you in each room. There's no health regen or healing skills, so the only way you're getting your HP back is finding random potions, which forces you forward. Will the next room contain the healing elixir you need, or another 5 angry goblins? 9 times out of 10, the answer's going to have you looking at the game over screen. Except there isn't a game over screen, it just dumps you back to the quest selection menu.

Seriously, do not play this game.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 17, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haha. Works for me, that counts as an entry.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
I bought it when it was on sale for $2 I think and I still feel like I spent too much.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There were 18 entries to the contest.

The list is as follows:
madjackmcmad (Meritous)
Glidergun (Incursion)
andrew smash (Desktop Dungeons, Rogue Legacy, Isle of Bxnes)
Corridor (Pixel Dungeon, Don't Starve)
quiggy stardust (FTL)
Emong (One Way Heroics)
drink_bleach (Binding of Isaac)
Zombie Samurai (IVAN)
Pladdicus (You only live once)
Naar (Teleglitch, Infra Arcana)
korora (Legerdemain)
Trickyrive (Spelunky)
doctorfrog (Sir You are Being Hunted)
Zombie Samurai (Hack Slash Loot)

There are six prizes being given away:
SotS: The Pit
FTL
Teleglitch
Risk of Rain x2 x1
Dungeonmans (thanks again madjackmcmad)

Every entry was assigned a number from 1-18 (in the order listed above), and I used randomizer.org to come up with the winning entries, which are:

4 - andrew smash for Rogue Legacy
9 - Emong for One Way Heroics
10 - drink_bleach for BoI
14 - Naar for Infra Arcana
15 - korora for Legerdemain
17 - doctorfrog for Sir You are Being Hunted

Also, Corridor you win something random for doing 2 write ups.

I'm going to let people pick, in exactly the order listed above (from andrew smash to doctorfrog), what prize they want. If you already own the prize, feel free to re-gift it, obviously.

:siren: Winners, post your steam ID and your choice. Thanks to everyone who participated. :siren:

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 17, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:neckbeard: Nice work, plenty of good new games listed there

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

There was a time (2009ish) when I had considered taking Dungeonmans down the more serious simulation route, but I turned away. It didn't feel like the type of game I really wanted to make, I sort of felt like I was just checking off Roguelike Checkboxes. Complex inventory, weight, special pickup commands, stuff like oh you got wet some point within the last 50 rounds so this cold attack hurts 2% more and if your stremf is too low you might catch a cold which will cause you to sneeze and ruin your stealth but also gives you a +5 defense against nasal maladies such as disease mold and...

The other two things were UI considerations, and that I had gone with sprites instead of tiles so I'd need a lot more work to convey the massive bestiary a real Nethack evolution would have.

What are the core things you'd carry forward if you were bringing Nethack into the glistening neon future?

The complex interactions. First of all I think people exaggerate how much of a problem the need for spoilers is. It's definitely not the game's biggest problem, probably not even in the top three or so. The problem really lies in the necessity for the player to use the really boring and tedious interactions to survive. I certainly never had the patience to survive as tourist or even as wizard, because it involved writing elbereth every 100 loving turns which takes hours of real world time, and using darts and whatever lovely daggers you find lying around to attack with for a significant part of the game, etc, etc. They would be fun and interesting mechanics if you didn't have to heavily abuse them to actually beat the game. Most of the interactions in the game aren't this, though, they're just fun and interesting to varying degrees, although some not as much as others.

Beyond that the fact that the game has a sort of story and unique levels that don't consist of boring maze and don't fit some pattern of 'here's the undead branch, here's the sewers branch, here's the spiders branch, here's the hell branch, etc'. The castle, medusa's lair, the elemental planes, the dwarven mines, sokoban, the quest; The fact that I can list so many off the top of my head without having played it in a long time says something. But then again there's gehennom which is terrible.

Nethack is really incredible because it has, at the same time, some of the best game design I've ever seen, and some really really bad game design along with it, possibly in equal parts. I've always been of the opinion that a game consistently as good as nethack's good half would be basically a Michelangelo level masterpiece. I don't want to praise the game too much, but it does seem to be cool to hate in a hipster-y fashion, and lots of the critics of the game seem to think its interactions are dwarf fortress adventure style "you hurt your left tendon and now have a -3% accuracy penalty with crossbows only", when it's actually not like that at all. The variety is variety in environment and story, and how the player interacts with it, not in random number stats.

Basically games like ToME and Dredmor feel sort of dead inside, even though they deliver that experience at a consistent level of quality, and the reason for this is that they don't have the same meaningful interactions between the player and the story and game world. I don't think it's an invalid approach to making a game, but I don't think they do it very well. I think Dungeon Crawl does the 'homogenous dungeon crawler' approach better, with a better balance between variety and consistency. I'm not impressed by Dredmor's sense of humor, and ToME feels like really boring lord of the rings fanfiction.

Brogue goes another direction entirely and throws out the lore, environmental variety and character building dress-up game and goes just for tactical depth, and it does it very very well IMO. You can focus on allies, stealth, environment manipulation, magic, or melee, and all of these work equally well and you aren't forced to choose any one beyond what you get as item drops.

So that fills my quota for writing walls of text about roguelikes for a long time. If I keep going please stop me.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 17, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Actually the thing I hate the most about nethack is your stupid starting pet and how annoying it is to try to get that thing to follow you down the stairs properly early on when standing around waiting for it or backtracking to look for it means you could end up starving to death :argh:

I've had some games where I got a really drat useful pet but regardless the only way I've ever not felt completely frustrated by pet wrangling is when I find a magic whistle

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hah, I hate pets. Actually one of the major reasons I don't like Brogue.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
my steam ID is andrew_smash and i'll take risk of rain. thanks for running the contest!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I also hate pets in nethack, so I play with pettype:none in my options unless I'm doing a gimmick run that requires one. Problem solved!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

andrew smash posted:

my steam ID is andrew_smash and i'll take risk of rain. thanks for running the contest!

cool. Except "The specified profile could not be found."

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Zombie Samurai posted:

Hey, can I offer one more write-up for the contest? Because I went back to Hack Slash Loot the other night and I think it deserves a mention. Also seems germane to the discussion underway.

Hack Slash Loot
Cost: $7.00

Genre: Turn-based Action RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
Let's Plays: None that I know of
Forks: No

Do not play this game.

Although I'm too late, this is also my entry except replace it with Cardinal Quest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Actually the thing I hate the most about nethack is your stupid starting pet and how annoying it is to try to get that thing to follow you down the stairs properly early on when standing around waiting for it or backtracking to look for it means you could end up starving to death :argh:

I've had some games where I got a really drat useful pet but regardless the only way I've ever not felt completely frustrated by pet wrangling is when I find a magic whistle

One of the first things I did when learning how to mod the source code for SLASH'EM was have the Necromancer start with a magic whistle. Because holy crap if you think the NORMAL starting pets are annoying, try herding around a ghoul that moves half your speed.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

..btt posted:

I also hate pets in nethack, so I play with pettype:none in my options unless I'm doing a gimmick run that requires one. Problem solved!

I had a feeling this was possible but was too lazy to check

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Space Bat posted:

Although I'm too late, this is also my entry except replace it with Cardinal Quest.

:colbert:

You have bad opinions.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Steam Profile

I guess I'll take SotS: The Pit. Thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jordan7hm posted:

There are six prizes being given away:
SotS: The Pit
FTL
Teleglitch
Risk of Rain x2 x1
Dungeonmans (thanks again madjackmcmad)

There was a contest? I was just trying to be cool like everyone else and do a writeup.

Since I'm last in line, here are my preferences in order:
  • Risk of Rain
  • Dungeonmans
  • SotS: The Pit
  • Teleglitch
  • FTL

Steam name: _doctorfrog_ (http://steamcommunity.com/id/doctorfrog/). I actually have FTL on my Steam account, and you can feel free to re-gift it if it's what's left, otherwise, I'll be happy to pass it on.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 17, 2013

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jordan7hm posted:

cool. Except "The specified profile could not be found."

I dunno man. this is me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/andrew_smash

I'm bad at steam

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Jordan7hm posted:

:colbert:

You have bad opinions.

:pwn: Well, you're entitled to your wrong opinion as well, bub.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Jordan7hm posted:

10 - drink_bleach for BoI
:siren: Winners, post your steam ID and your choice.:siren:

steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/daysinfected/

choice: Teleglitch

This is what being a winner feels like. Roguelikes have given me stockholm syndrome.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I just got a dude in Rogue Legacy with the trait "The One: there is no spork", and can't figure out what the hell that means

edit: never mind, apparently it makes things crazy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, looks like Rogue Legacy just updated with a content patch today. A few new things and thankfully some good balance stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/241600/announcements/detail/1352501745977362675

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Yeah, looks like Rogue Legacy just updated with a content patch today. A few new things and thankfully some good balance stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/241600/announcements/detail/1352501745977362675

Ah jesus now I have to go back to playing it.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
I'll take Dungeonmans if it gets to me, otherwise Risk of Rain. This is me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/korora

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Haha I win "something random" :)

(what does that mean)

e. I ike how the guy who did the most write ups got first anyway, somehow

Corridor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 17, 2013

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Awesome! I already backed Dungeonmans, so I'd like Risk of Rain. Steam profile.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Corridor posted:

Haha I win "something random" :)

(what does that mean)

e. I ike how the guy who did the most write ups got first anyway, somehow

Dunno, post your steam ID.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goon made Legend of Dungeon just had a huge update

quote:

In honor of the 1 year anniversary of our Kickstarter getting 650% funded, Version Tormentor is now live!

Since Legend of Dungeon's release in September, we've been working on the features we promised to our Kickstarter backers, and a few features we wanted simply because we love you all and want the game to be the best it can be.

This update brings you additional game modes: Impossible mode, Daily Dungeon, and Seeds(non random), a few more Dungeon tiles, 2 Hot-keys for your inventory(so redefine your controls!), and a help screen!
You might also stumble across a bit of holiday cheer in your travels.

Thank you to everyone for being kind enough to try our game, and a huge thank you to those that Kickstarted us, for the immense support!

May your deaths be swift and plentiful!

-Robot and Kitty
@robotloveskitty

P.S. Happy Zombiemass!

Change Log, Version Tormenter:

Revised Menu
Added Holiday Stuff!
Added a help screen
Added game modes: Impossible, Seed, and Daily Dungeon
Added Dungeon Tiles
Added Inventory Hotkeys
Door use now gradually colors doors
Added Enable\Disable 60fps Target frame rate
Fixed the Book of the Devil summon bug
Improved switch hitbox (so its easier to hit with most weapons)
Fixed monsters from the previous room making aggro noises
Moved the first step for downward stairs
Fixed a handful of colliders

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The daily dungeon thing Spelunky does (and the challenges Brogue does) are great ideas and I'm glad more games are picking that up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Really spelunky and every other roguelike should let one set a seed that allows people to compete on with the same dungeon/loot. (There's some technical details making it harder to graft it on to some roguelikes than others.) My friend patched nethack to let us do this and playing together was pretty fun, we could say things like "turn around or your pet is going to die" if one of us was ahead.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Does tome have a tab autofight hotkey yet? It's so annoying having an auto explore but then having to attack poo poo with your arrow keys/numpad. If you have one you may as well have the other.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bob NewSCART posted:

Does tome have a tab autofight hotkey yet? It's so annoying having an auto explore but then having to attack poo poo with your arrow keys/numpad. If you have one you may as well have the other.
I just use the mouse and click on an ememy and attack it that way. If I'm a wizard I set the left mouse click to use the ranged magic ability instead.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

Hah, I hate pets. Actually one of the major reasons I don't like Brogue.

Well then, good news! As of version 1.7.3, pets are a short-lived monster distraction/attraction at best, unless you choose to strengthen them at the cost of weaker gear for yourself for some strange reason.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Glimpse posted:

Well then, good news! As of version 1.7.3, pets are a short-lived monster distraction/attraction at best, unless you choose to strengthen them at the cost of weaker gear for yourself for some strange reason.

Even though it can cost enchants, a nicely buffed pet can be insanely strong (helps if you can heal it). Don't waste it on early things but any later enemies (troll or stronger imo) are a good choice. You can even recover from negation now.

It's not how I prefer to play, but I tried it once with a naga and it was really viable.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are there any good Gauntlet style games with roguelike/procedural elements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nethack pining/hand wringing eh? As always, there is the short list folks should keep in mind/look into:

PRIME: http://pesky-reticulans.org/ Ongoing successor to ZAPM---which is essentially a Sci-Fi Nethack hopeful with a lot of moxy. Dev pace is lively'ish and going places.

Diggr: http://code.google.com/p/diggr-roguelike/ Love letter-homage project unto Nethack with quirks aplenty...rather developed but sleeping due to...

Incavead(Infinite Cave Adventure): http://dungeon.name/ The sequel to Diggr and goes off even more into the woods that is a thing unto itself, but the eye remains on the Nethack prize. Online wranglings interposed with single player downloadable doings.

Otherwise, eh, as far as just "more, better, faster, stronger, the same still"---latest is Dynahack: http://tung.github.io/DynaHack/ which hasn't seen an update since October but yeah.