Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Canonically I'm pretty sure he 100% knows Barbara was Batgirl. During the Killing Joke I feel like he specifically blames Batman for causing Joker to paralyze Barbara, even though she wasn't actually dressed as Batgirl at the time. Been almost a decade since I last read it though, so my memory might be crossed with something else.

He knew prior to the reboot. (Barbara told him about Oracle and Batgirl and his response to Batgirl was "THAT I knew.") I believe that changed with the reboot since she's Batgirl again now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

ImpAtom posted:

"he could know but chooses not to investigate it."

In particular Bats offered up his identity to Gordon in No Man's Land. If you look around you can probably find pictures of Batman with his cowl off in front of Gordon whose just clenching his eyes and saying 'nuh uh! I don't want to.'

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 15, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
In Batman Beyond wasn't there a throwaway mention of the fact that Bruce had revealed his identity to Gordon before he died? Might have been in the Joker movie where they also let on that Bruce and Barbara apparently had a relationship after she broke it off with Dick.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah...after she broke it off with Dick...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know the saddest thing about TNBA? Dick and Batman rarely even work together by that point. I only recall maybe one or two episodes where Batman and Nightwing are both in costume at the same time.

Oddly enough, the TNBA comics has them working together all the time and Dick seems a lot less bitter.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How are the bosses in AC and AO? I just beat AA and my only complaint is that there are basically 2.5 types of enemies, prisoners, prisoners with weapon, and titans. Ivy was the only boss battle that felt like a boss without being repeated constantly for the rest of the game. And even she was basically just fighting bad guys between walking in circles and throwing a batarang.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
So yesterday they patched the game again and added a new multiplayer mode, Hunter vs Hunted. It's three on three on one (no Robin) and every character only has one life. The supervillain door and grenade drops aren't in it, and you win by either being the last team standing, or if you're one of the villain gangs you can capture two of the three control points, which appear one every five minutes or so. The control points make sure Batman can't just camp around in a safe spot waiting for the remaining team to move out into the open.

It's pretty fun, though it can be frustrating when playing against people who know what they're doing since your whole team can be wiped out pretty quick. It also changes the way getting to play Batman works, with only the team that won going into the Batman roulette, and if Batman wins he stays on for the next round. The patch also seems to have fixed matchmaking, every time I searched for a match the game immediately put me in a lobby with other people.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 17, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Origins is the only Batman game that has a lot of boss fight variety.

AC has more than Asylum, the Mr. Fight is quite memorable.

I think AC strikes a nice balance in that you have variety but you're using skills you build up over playing the game. Origins a lot of the boss fights are "hey we're changing some fundamental mechanics for this boss fight you have to learn now. Enjoy!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

So yesterday they patched the game again and added a new multiplayer mode, Hunter vs Hunted. It's three on three on one (no Robin) and every character only has one life. The supervillain door and grenade drops aren't in it, and you win by either being the last team standing, or if you're one of the villain gangs you can capture two of the three control points, which appear one every five minutes or so. The control points make sure Batman can't just camp around in a safe spot waiting for the remaining team to move out into the open.

It's pretty fun, though it can be frustrating when playing against people who know what they're doing since your whole team can be wiped out pretty quick. It also changes the way getting to play Batman works, with only the team that won going into the Batman roulette, and if Batman wins he stays on for the next round. The patch also seems to have fixed matchmaking, every time I searched for a match the game immediately put me in a lobby with other people.

That sounds like what I wanted out of an Arkham multiplayer in the first place, I might actually play it now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

doctor 7 posted:

Origins is the only Batman game that has a lot of boss fight variety.

AC has more than Asylum, the Mr. Fight is quite memorable.

"Mr. Fight"?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BiggerBoat posted:

"Mr. Fight"?

Haha. I think he means "Mr. Freeze fight."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Mr Fight should completely be a villain. His fighting style would be that he just fights, man. He fights like crazy!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Mr Fight should completely be a villain. His fighting style would be that he just fights, man. He fights like crazy!

He has to be drunk, with a foreign accent and he came to Gotham to get shitfaced and fight the most dangerous man on earth on a drunken bet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

I think AC strikes a nice balance in that you have variety but you're using skills you build up over playing the game. Origins a lot of the boss fights are "hey we're changing some fundamental mechanics for this boss fight you have to learn now. Enjoy!"

How so? All of the bosses were essentially based on enemies already in the game but expanded upon. Deathstroke, for instance, was just a souped up martial artist in terms of concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How so? All of the bosses were essentially based on enemies already in the game but expanded upon. Deathstroke, for instance, was just a souped up martial artist in terms of concept.

That is generally what a boss fight should be. A familiar mechanic expanded upon with some new moves/attributes, possible disguised a bit to make it less obvious. Mr. Freeze is the same way. He's just a predator room challenge with a single guy instead. That's generally what a good boss fight is.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It beats the hell out of mashing R2 for an entire boss fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not denying that. I liked Origins' boss fights. I'm just curious as to why he feel that Origins' bosses change things up without warning.

The most unusual bosses in the game would probably be Firefly and Deadshot, the former since he's the most elusive enemy to hit in the game and the latter since he's an armored guy in a predator room.

And even then, Firefly is more or less a moving and attacking version of those buttons that you have to quickfire batarang to progress the story while Deadshot can still be hit normally by Silent Takedowns.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think he means the Bane fights, since Bane's charge completely ignores any invincibility from dodging, and he can hit you multiple times in a row if you get caught in a corner.

Firefly fight was alright though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, the Bane fight. I hated the Bane fight.

Especially the second one where his shockwave covered the entire arena even though in the first fight it covered much less area.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

"Mr. Fight"?

Yeah, sorry, on mobile and auto-correct will do some bizarre poo poo.

I meant Mr. Freeze.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, gently caress Bane. Doing those fights on "I Am the Night" is going to be about as fun as slamming my balls in a car door.

I might not even bother.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

I think he means the Bane fights, since Bane's charge completely ignores any invincibility from dodging, and he can hit you multiple times in a row if you get caught in a corner.

Deathstroke requiring you to counter at a specific moment rather than a large window like normal fights. Countering immediately when you have an opportunity in Origins is basically written into the combat. You counter multiple people and some require multiple counters. Deathstroke was "counter only during this specific window" kind of sucked. I never missed a counter (missed those counter windows), but those arbitrary counter windows sucked the fun out of that fight for me. The fight never felt hard to me for any reason other than "hey we changed how to perform counters, enjoy!"

Bane as mentioned.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 17, 2013

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo...was reading about "I Am the Night" mode. I knew you only had one life but no saves?!? That's taking it to the point where it just stops even being fun. Definitely giving that a skip.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What? No, you have saves in I Am The Night mode...it'll save your checkpoints as normal, but you lose it all if you die.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm glad I completed I Am The Night but it was more relief that I'd finished it than satisfaction, and I probably wouldn't have bothered if there wasn't an achievement to go along with it... though of course shoving multiplayer achievements into the game mean I'll never technically 100% the game's achievements the way I did Asylum and City :mad:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

Not gonna lie, I had a loving blast with Firefly. I was worn the hell out by the end (you know, figuratively) (wellllll, maybe a bit, I'm out of shape and those keys aren't going to press themselves). It was also the one boss fight where I felt Bats was always one second away from losing everything and couldn't give up an inch. More of those boss fights, please!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 17, 2013

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Those sound much better! I picked up the first two on humble cheap as hell but was hesitant to install it if i was just going to fight croc and totally not croc plus you can ride him over and over.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man are you gonna hate the first boss.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Phylodox posted:

Man, gently caress Bane. Doing those fights on "I Am the Night" is going to be about as fun as slamming my balls in a car door.

I might not even bother.

If I ever get around to IATN mode I'm gonna get real mad at video games because of the QTs whose failure kills you, the Bane fight(s) and probably Diamond District.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What QT events kill you? The only one I've come across is with Firefly and now that I know it's coming it should be no problem.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Only other one I can think of is the Joker one.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Phylodox posted:

Holy poo poo...was reading about "I Am the Night" mode. I knew you only had one life but no saves?!? That's taking it to the point where it just stops even being fun. Definitely giving that a skip.

It really isn't that bad. Just play cautiously and restart from a checkpoint if you ever get taken down to a quarter or less health. You can restart as many times as you want, it's only getting killed that resets your progress. The only fights I had to attempt more than once were the Bane ones, and that's because there's so much stunlocking bullshit when he charges around. :mad:

Oh and PROTIP: in the Bane fights it saves your health percentage between his first and second forms, so don't bother moving on to the second one if you got beaten to a pulp in the first one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I agree.

Bane's tackle in Arkham Asylum was pretty much just a straightforward run. It was clearly telegraphed and easily avoidable, provided you weren't heavily surrounded by thugs and ended up redirecting a short distance. It also had a slow-down effect and he wouldn't follow you if you hit him with a Batarang.

Bane's tackle in Arkham Origins is just a gently caress you to the player. :argh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The first time Bane actually ricocheted off a wall and came right back at me after I'd narrowly dodged his charge in Origins had me going "what the hell". Then, as I came to realise just how much of a pain that charge of his tends to be, I grew steadily less amused.

He's like the result of a pinball and a boomerang having utterly hateful sex. The character was alright, but boy did I loathe pretty much every encounter involving him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

The first time Bane actually ricocheted off a wall and came right back at me after I'd narrowly dodged his charge in Origins had me going "what the hell". Then, as I came to realise just how much of a pain that charge of his tends to be, I grew steadily less amused.

He's like the result of a pinball and a boomerang having utterly hateful sex. The character was alright, but boy did I loathe pretty much every encounter involving him.
Most of my time was spent yelling because I couldn't loving even see what direction he was coming from because the camera was so drat close so I was dodging right into him waaaaaay more than I should have.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
His hit box seems all wonky during the charge, too. Like, sometimes I can dodge by just missing him, other times he seems to hit me from half a screen away. The only thing I could figure out to consistently dodge those charges was to counter just as he's about to hit you so you're invincible. Of course, someone has to be trying to hit you at that particular moment...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah, sorry, on mobile and auto-correct will do some bizarre poo poo.

I meant Mr. Freeze.

Oh, good. I thought I missed a side mission.

No, I had a pretty good idea you meant "Freeze", I just thought the image of a villain named Mr. Fight was pretty funny. Goons did not disappoint me.

MMAgCh posted:

Like that.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
To be fair, that was just me making a somewhat obscure Achewood reference. I'm not actually funny or witty enough to come up with that kind of thing on my own. :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

To be fair, that was just me making a somewhat obscure Achewood reference. I'm not actually funny or witty enough to come up with that kind of thing on my own. :smith:

Well, I don't know about Achewood or even what it is, so you're funny enough for me at the moment.

On topic: You guys bitching about the Bane fights are right. There are so many cheap hits you take from him it's downright stupid. For a while I thought it was just me and that they'd tweaked or tightened the timing of the tumble move to make it more challenging or something. Turns out it's just cheap bullshit I guess, which is pretty weak.

In the previous games, no matter how frustrated I got, I almost always realized that whatever I was loving up was my fault and got better as I re-adjusted my approach. I think in Origins, Bane just gets to hit you every so often, like the one guy pointed out with the floor smash move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I THINK if you dodge over a mook in that fight, you're essentially invincible all the way through, which made the dodging a fair bit easier when I realized it.

• Locked thread