Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So then why sous vide it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
edit: VVVVV there's your answer.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 17, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sub Rosa posted:

So then why sous vide it?

You could throw it in the oven at 130 for a while, but air is a poor conductor of heat.

You could throw it in the oven at a higher temperature, but then the plastic that the ham is sold in would melt.

You could remove the plastic and then reheat it hotter, but then the juice from the ham would evaporate.

If you're already a nerd with an immersion circulator hammer, reheating a ham looks like a nail.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Is that his pre-release Sansaire he's subtly trolling us with?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
That it is. Pre-release pre-lawsuit. Smug bastard.

mcbrite
Dec 6, 2012
Just ordered an Anovo to Germany, hopefully the plug will fit...

The way I see it the main benefit of cooking stuff sous vide is repeat-ability. I love measuring stuff related to cooking and perfecting it, cooking the same dish many times over the course of a year (every few weeks) until it hits exactly my taste.

With sous vide you can reach way better repeat-ability than, say, McDonalds (who's goal is really all about perfect repeat-ability even with monkeys manning the grill).
That is if McDonalds served the world's beast steaks, eggs, chicken, fish rather than some dried out, sorry excuse for a burger... :D

BTW, here is a video about a burger done sous vide, one of the first things I'll be trying out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZlu8j_t5pA

Does anybody know from experience if I can just char the poo poo out of the outside to get that nice crust, without even having to dirty a pan?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn't realize until just now that Sansaire is a pun.

Sans air.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Steve Yun posted:

I didn't realize until just now that Sansaire is a pun.

Sans air.

You and me both. Damnit

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

mcbrite posted:

Just ordered an Anovo to Germany, hopefully the plug will fit...
My Anova shipped to Australia with an Australian standard plug on its cord so you'll probably be fine.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

mcbrite posted:

Does anybody know from experience if I can just char the poo poo out of the outside to get that nice crust, without even having to dirty a pan?

same idea, high heat quickly, although it would be a waste of charcoal compared to wiping out a cast iron pan.

mcbrite
Dec 6, 2012

YEAH DOG posted:

same idea, high heat quickly, although it would be a waste of charcoal compared to wiping out a cast iron pan.

I was actually thinking of a propane-torch... Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I seem to remember seeing that on some videos...
Already have the torch for lighting my Shisha-coals, that's what got me thinking...
Is one of those kitchen-torches even propane? Guess it must be something that doesn't leave a gasoline taste on the food...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The small pistol grip ones are usually butane, the big hardware store blow torches are usually propane (and some propylene (MAP Pro))

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mcbrite posted:

I was actually thinking of a propane-torch... Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I seem to remember seeing that on some videos...
Already have the torch for lighting my Shisha-coals, that's what got me thinking...
Is one of those kitchen-torches even propane? Guess it must be something that doesn't leave a gasoline taste on the food...

No torch that is properly burning (all blue flame) will leave gas flavors on food, the problem is, apparently, that when you get hot enough (my guess is ~1K°F) you start getting bad-tasting compounds that overpower the flavors created by maillard reaction. SubG could educate us on this, but it's what I gathered from the info Dave Arnold posted about the Searzall research.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 19, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So did anyone do Kenji's turkey porchette sous vide for Thanksgiving? I'm making it for Christmas and am soliciting for any recommendations/lessons learned that people may have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I did!

Make sure the peppercorn gets chopped up, or even mill it into the seasoning, because my food processor didn't seem to want to chop them up, and biting into a whole peppercorn is kinda zingy.

Make sure your sous vide vessel is big enough for the assembled turchetta, mine wasn't so I had to lop off the ends after having gone through the trouble of tying and vacuum sealing it.

The oil is going to sputter like hell when you fry the porchetta. Don't get scared and turn down the heat unless it goes too hot. You want to drop the turchetta in when it's 400°F, and it will cruise at 350°F. My standard stove at max heat was able to keep it at 350°F, but I turned off the heat briefly and when I turned it on again it was never able to recover to 350°F, instead hovering around 320°F. The lower heat meant it took longer to brown, which led to the meat getting overcooked, which made the turkey tougher.

If you have any more questions in the middle of making it, feel free to fire away

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Was it worth it?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Salt steak before svizzling it, yay or nay?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Salt and pepper are great for seasoning before you s-v it. Same with adding herbs and shallots to your bag.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wouldn't the pepper burn and taste bad since I'm going to be searing it at a really high 475+ temp?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

d3rt posted:

Wouldn't the pepper burn and taste bad since I'm going to be searing it at a really high 475+ temp?

The pepper will burn but you could probably put pepper corns in with it while you bath the steak safely. I have read that salting before SV is fine if you are eating it right after you cook, if you are going to cook-chill-warm then it can start to cure the meat if it sits for a few days and it is better to salt after.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

d3rt posted:

The pepper won't burn, that's not really a thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

d3rt posted:

You'll be fine, but if you want more info here's a good primer:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/sous-vide-steaks-recipe.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Was it worth it?

It's definitely delicious but it's also a lot of work for something that's relatively small, so you're kind of on the verge of some effort/reward ratio tolerance.

But hey, for a holiday roast you're supposed to go all out, right? I'm going to do it again for Christmas

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Midniter posted:

The pepper won't burn, that's not really a thing.

Could have sworn I read otherwise in one of the old cast iron threads. I also noticed more smoke before I stopped pre-peppering and instead went with post-sear-resting-peppering. I won't derail further though. I like the idea of using whole peppercorns during the svizzle though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Going to do some sous vide ribeye steaks for Christmas eve and wanted to check, is there any harm in vacuum sealing the steaks a few days before the meal? Will be traveling and it will be easier to keep the vacuum packed steaks in a cooler (and not drag the vacuum sealer along too).

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It should be fine - I've cooked in those trader joes pre-sealed packages without a problem.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Assuming you keep the steaks cool there should be no problem.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

d3rt posted:

Salt steak before svizzling it, yay or nay?

Dave Arnold did a thing a few years back to test whether salting before sous-vide had any effect. The general conclusion was that salting before sousvizzing made the meat drier, with no gain in flavour. He guessed that was due to a "curing" of the meat during the cooking time. I haven't pre-salted since then, but can't say I've noticed a huge difference.

Here's an Ideas In Food post about the same thing, where they suggest either brining or salting post-svizzing, but never before: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/10/corrective-seasoning.html

I wonder if you could get the best of both worlds by vacuuming meats with just a little bit of brine solution, say, 10% or 20% of meat weight. Anyone ever try that?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I've been looking into some other aspects of cooking like charcuterie, and tell me if this theory is wrong.

I salt/peppered some steaks, vacuum sealed, then froze them for a few weeks. Thawed them out for a day and cooked them to 135 sous vide, quick sear in a pan. They tasted pretty bland and they didn't look like a 135 degree steak should in the middle. We came to the conclusion that they were just lovely thin steaks.

Here's what I'm thinking though: Is it possible the salt cured/cooked them in a way? I ask this also because I bought a 4 pack of pork chops a few weeks ago and did the same thing as the steaks above. The first two pork chops I sous vide the day I bought them, and the color was the medium rare pinkish looking in the middle. The other two I salt/peppered/vac sealed and froze for a few weeks like the steaks above and they weren't looking the same in the middle like the ones I did prior.

Am I off base here?

So far I'm thinking if I need to vac seal and freeze the meat, I will not season at all prior to doing so, and will only season before the final sear perhaps. Or for a longer cook or if recommended I can always thaw/season/vac seal again and then cook.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drive By posted:

Dave Arnold did a thing a few years back to test whether salting before sous-vide had any effect. The general conclusion was that salting before sousvizzing made the meat drier, with no gain in flavour. He guessed that was due to a "curing" of the meat during the cooking time. I haven't pre-salted since then, but can't say I've noticed a huge difference.

Here's an Ideas In Food post about the same thing, where they suggest either brining or salting post-svizzing, but never before: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/10/corrective-seasoning.html

I wonder if you could get the best of both worlds by vacuuming meats with just a little bit of brine solution, say, 10% or 20% of meat weight. Anyone ever try that?

Dumb question then, but does that mean to vizzle the meat, THEN salt, then sear? This is important to me since I'm expecting an Anova for Xmas this year from my parents.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's what they're saying to do, yes. Vizzle, then salt, then sear.

edit: pat dry between the vizzle and the salt. It's going to be very wet coming out of the vizzle

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 22, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
What's the deal with putting a splash of stock in with a steak instead of salt? Maybe mixed with a knob of butter?

Could it end up a little /too/ tasty?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Ok so I got an Anova. So far I have tried two ribeyes in the puddle. 135 the first time for an hour and 130 the second time for 2 hours. My question is how is it that my steaks aren't pink or red inside when I take em out? They taste great and seem like they are juicy and tender. What am I doing wrong?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Ok so I got an Anova. So far I have tried two ribeyes in the puddle. 135 the first time for an hour and 130 the second time for 2 hours. My question is how is it that my steaks aren't pink or red inside when I take em out? They taste great and seem like they are juicy and tender. What am I doing wrong?

At those temps should be pink when you cut them and then turn much more red after the air hits them for a minute or so, 130 should be medium-rare and 135 closer to medium.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Holy poo poo the Anova is a revelation:

Sirloins in a pot with the Anova set at 134 for 2.5 hours. Heated a cast iron pan heated to 550 in the oven, buttered it on the outside grill burner (sets the smoke alarm off inside), and seared each side for 45 seconds.

My only complaint was that after the (short) 2.5 hour cook finished and the timer ended, the Anova touchscreen became unresponsive until I unplugged the unit and left it be for an hour. Hopefully it's a one time thing.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I am so excited to join this thread on the 26th because I know for a fact that my fiance got me a puddle machine and a vacuum sealer. :smug:

(He keeps trying to claim he got me 250 red plastic fish but I know I am pretty sure he is lying.)

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 23, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

To anyone who picked up an Anova outside of the US, how long did it take for it to ship? I got one for my brother for Christmas and he won't have it by then, but it would be nice to have a general idea of when he'll get it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I live in Denmark and ordered an Anova back in mid November. I didn't hear anything from them for almost two weeks, sent them an e-mail to ask what's up, and two days later I got a shipping confirmation. The shipping itself was fairly speedy, and then customs took a day or two more.

For the German guy (mcbrite) earlier in the thread, it came with one of those schuko plug power cables, so you shouldn't have any problems.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

My Anova was ordered in late November and arrived in Melbourne Australia about 9 days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How long do people think thick steaks should be cooked sous vide? These are thick prime grade ribeye steaks, about 1.5" thick and maybe 8-10oz each. I'm thinking of cooking at 130 F for about 2 hours. Any concerns?