Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

Sogol posted:

I suggest we start with things closer to food than rocks though, since we sometimes go a bit overboard in these things.

Bit of wood might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:ohdear: What if our real source of mightiness is our junk? What if our attempt to impregnate Naomi winds up with her being blasted with supersonic sperm?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I took the liberty of linking to certain posts in your summary, FoxTerrier. I hope you don't mind :ohdear:

FoxTerrier posted:

^^ I'm p. sure Aaron would have noticed if we had no junk, like during those pee breaks we take together between killing orcs and chest waxes.

Hey Tomn, how does this look as a short companion piece to go with your more detailed one? Lemme know. :sun:

Paradise Lost
A Goon Summary

Backstory: We––the players––are Enkindel, the archer formally known as Og. We were born in an isolated, coastal community that worshiped a cannabilistic fish god with many pointy teeth and great HUNGER. Eventually a king from a distant realm, Tudiyah, stumbled upon our home. A fight broke out, demon lightning occurred, and we fled with our nursemaid and Tudiyah’s company. Turns out the nursemaid, Jalitha, was actually our mom. Identity of Daddykins is currently ???.

So long story short, Tudiyah cuts our hair and names us Enkindel. This is kinda like a baptism into El worship. In that faith, there is an all-powerful deity named El, who has lesser servants called Melachim. Anyways, on the way back to Tudiyah’s city, we cut out hand on a sacred shark tooth of Ashera and almost got eaten. Ishamal––a badass, ancient, and mysterious dude––punched the Ashera out of us and all was well. We found a magical flute and sandals too, courtesy of a magical temple that appeared to us.

So we go to live with Tudiyah and his young son Danal, aka our bestest little buddy. We adopt a dog named Snarls Barkley, whom we develop a freaky telepathic link with during our manhood trial. Speaking of, said manhood trial consisted of getting dumped in the wilderness with nothing but our dog for over a month. It sucked, but we rocked it and came back in glory. Tudiyah formally adopted us (we were technically his slave previously), and now we’re kinda like a page to a Mighty Man (badass servant of El) named Aaron.

And oh yeah, when we pass out we sometimes enter a weird other dimension with flying whales and melachim. It’s trippy. We should try not to do it again anytime soon though, because doing so might kill us. :(

NAMES TO KNOW:

Ashera: FISH GOD OF HUNGER

El: Monothestic ruler of the Melachim, at least according to the Temple of El. (The Temple of Melechim disagrees, but they haven’t gotten much screen time yet).

Xurial: Spergy Melachim; patron of birds. We’ve met him when we've passed out.

Azazel: Party Melachim; patron of goats. He tempted us during our trial, but we ended up being bros.

Tudiyah: King of Zepath, adopted father. Really serious about El worship.

Ishamal: Ageless badass. Kind of a mentor. Gave us a badass club too heavy to currently use.

Bareen: Priestess of the rival Temple of Melachim. Performs miraculous healings. Tudiyah hates her, and lets her operate only because Ishamal and the Priest of El convinced him that 'men should be free to choose folly.'

Jalitha: Our mother, born in Baitel. She worked in its great Temple of El. It's unclear how she ended up amongst Ashera worshipers. Now works as a cook for Tudiyah, at least until we save up enough to buy her a tavern.

Danal: Tudiya’s youngest son; wants to be a hero. We’ve worked hard to ensure he doesn’t grow up to be an rear end in a top hat.

Aaron: The Mighty Man we squire for

Naomi: Our One True Love. Tudiya’s daughter.

Labras: Ancient dude who, according to the Temple of El, was super awesome and favored by El. Brought the word of El to the people. Only descendants of his male line are supposed to be able to be Mighty Men.

Zepa: Founder of Zepath back in the day. He descended from Labras. House Tudiya is of his line.

Snarls: Our beloved doggy. We have a telepathic link. We also accidentally switched bodies with him (don't ask), and may have magically changed him in some way we don’t understand as a result. We also literally snatched his soul from the air and stuffed it back in his body when our body switching almost killed him; as a result of performing this heretical magic, we experienced horrific burning pain and fire until we passed out and were (probably) saved by Xuriel and Co. Woke up with no real ill effects, but were warned another similar incident may well kill us.

TERMS AND PLACES TO KNOW:

Zepath: The city we live in. On the western fronter of the known world.

Baetel: The holy city of El. Far to the east of Zepath and way bigger.

Athar: Ashera worshipping village we were born in.

El: The Big Cheese. He apparently accepted some of our offerings by consuming them with giant fires. We pray to him a good bit.

Melachim: Holy beings like Xuriel. The Temple of El says they work for El. The Temple of Melachim say they are gods and goddesses in their own right, and El is merely one of them.

Temple of El (ToE): The established faith. They say El is #1 and worshiping Melachim is heresy.

Temple of Melacim: New temple that sprang up in opposition to El. They say the Temple of El is a crock of poo poo; that El is just another melachim and Might isn’t restricted to the the descendants of Labras. They say Labras and his descendants are liars who try to horde power for their own selfish ends.

Blooded: Descended from the male line of Labras

Mightly Man: A super tall, badass dude that––thanks to the fact he is descended from Labras and therefore ‘blooded’––is blessed by El with the ability to fight monsters and perform super-human feats. Possesses 'Might.' Note that while a Mighty Man must (allegedly) be blooded, not all blooded men develop Might.

Might: The ability to perform superhuman feats of strength, power, focus, and healing. Different men have different forms of Might. Considered distinct from Magic, which the Temple of El views as unholy. According to the ToE, only blooded people should have Might, which makes the origin of our own difficult to explain.

Quests as of 12/17/2013:

1. Finish gathering 100 foreskins before the end of the year, so that we can marry Naomi.

2. Train Danal well enough that he can pass his manhood trial without dying.

3. Become a better archer, keep training with Aaron, get swole enough to use our gigantic club, and basically try not to die on our adventures.

4. Figure out what the deal is with our magic flute and sandals.

5. Discover Daddy-o’s identity.

7. Manage our investments with the potter and fletcher. Keep saving cash to buy mum a tavern. Make sure our really pissy slave doesn't slit our throat while we sleep.

8. Discover how it is that we posses 'Might,' but don't appear to be Blooded.

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

:ohdear: What if our real source of mightiness is our junk?

Pshaw! We're weeks from the sea, and nobody knows how to build boats!

<runs>

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guys doing awesome summaries: I humbly suggest referring to Ashface as a "shark god" rather than a "fish god". Either is correct, but sharks are more metal.

jazzyhattrick posted:

It's fine, in a couple of years we'll top out at about 13/14 feet tall and 800lbs of solid muscle and our appetite will go back to normal.

We're gonna need a bigger house. :ohdear: We can't take much more in the head bump department.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Questions for before we entered the temple:
- Does Danal know that we bailed on the race?
- What's his opinion on that?
- Did anyone say anything about it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sogol posted:

I think we are just literally burning everything we eat. Eating something non-poisonous that is not commonly thought of as food might be a way of testing that. I suggest we start with things closer to food than rocks though, since we sometimes go a bit overboard in these things.

I also think that rapidly increased hunger is a sign of messing with our own body or mind as opposed to things in nature outside of our body/mind. When we summoned the Flute in the spirit/dream/mind realm we wanted a sandwich, rather than spontaneously combusting. We were told we were in our own mind at the time.

Nah man, we're probably just going through an extreme form of Might Man puberty. Everyone who would have authoritative knowledge on this subject that we've consulted with considers it to be perfectly normal. So yeah, we are burning it, but we're doing so to build supernatural muscle and Might, we aren't loving up somehow.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

We should try to avoid naming any of our children, when/if we gave any, Goliath. Just in case. Also watch out for invaders who like to march around cities blowing trumpets. (Edit: actually I think this CYOA would vastly pre-date any of that, but Abram was a man from Ur, and generally I find all of it very fascinating)

Did we decide who to talk to in the temple, or are we running out on the archery contest to see if we still have an anus? Everyone got really sidetracked when we discovered we haven't pooped in a while. :cheeky:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RandomPauI posted:

:ohdear: What if our real source of mightiness is our junk? What if our attempt to impregnate Naomi winds up with her being blasted with supersonic sperm?

What is wrong with goons :cripes:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

paragon1 posted:

Nah man, we're probably just going through an extreme form of Might Man puberty. Everyone who would have authoritative knowledge on this subject that we've consulted with considers it to be perfectly normal. So yeah, we are burning it, but we're doing so to build supernatural muscle and Might, we aren't loving up somehow.

I don't think we have violated the terms of our agreement and that this all counts as natural for us. According to that contract we are also owed some answers.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

RandomPauI posted:

Worst super-power ever.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

hollylolly posted:

We should try to avoid naming any of our children, when/if we gave any, Goliath. Just in case. Also watch out for invaders who like to march around cities blowing trumpets. (Edit: actually I think this CYOA would vastly pre-date any of that, but Abram was a man from Ur, and generally I find all of it very fascinating)

Did we decide who to talk to in the temple, or are we running out on the archery contest to see if we still have an anus? Everyone got really sidetracked when we discovered we haven't pooped in a while. :cheeky:

Danal is a form of Daniel :ssh:.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If we are going to talk to someone about our poop situation, I suggest we try someone new. Maybe try the high priest? We are familiar with him, he's always been decent to us, and priests are probably the closest things to scholars in this culture. Also the closest things to doctors.

And if he gets all "oh poo poo you're demon touched, burn the unclean one!!!" we can eat him. :getin:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I know you guys want to spray El with your supersonic sperm, but have you considered consulting someone who might have a different perspective? Someone like Bareen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tsyni posted:

I know you guys want to spray El with your supersonic sperm, but have you considered consulting someone who might have a different perspective? Someone like Bareen.

Bareen isn't a scholar, and it is quite unlikely any MM have ever told her about their poop.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

Bareen isn't a scholar, and it is quite unlikely any MM have ever told her about their poop.

I was thinking more generally, but we can ask her about her poop too, since she seems pretty mighty.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tsyni posted:

I was thinking more generally, but we can ask her about her poop too, since she seems pretty mighty.

Please do this in the most discreet and polite way possible.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

To be honest it'd be pretty great if Enkidel bursts into Bareen's office with a stricken look on his face and goes, "I just realized I haven't pooped for two months!"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god please no can we not go down this road please?

:ughh:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

SerSpook posted:

To be honest it'd be pretty great if Enkidel bursts into Bareen's office with a stricken look on his face and goes, "I just realized I haven't pooped for two months!"

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens - The Dorkiest Hero.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens - Scatological Hero Survey

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh my god please no can we not go down this road please?

There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Everybody poops. Except for Enkidel.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Everybody poops. Except for Enkidel.

Yes he does! Remember that one time when, uhhhhhhhhhhh...

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I was unable to get home until pretty late. I am sorry but no update tonight. Maybe one tomorrow before the evening if I have time, if not expect one tomorrow night.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Voting to ask Snarls. "What happened. You have a link to my mind, what did you feel when I was so hungry. Why were you crying. Tell me what you sensed."

Diog can you make a post on this tia

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Guys, I think Enkindel needs to go see a shrink or something, he's having way to many dumb thoughts about all the poop he doesn't have. That can't be healthy at his age.

Seriously, this is really stupid, he has a brand new bow to win.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Guys, I think Enkindel needs to go see a shrink or something, he's having way to many dumb thoughts about all the poop he doesn't have. That can't be healthy at his age.

Yeah, this is pretty concerning. We should ask Danal if he knows any good shrinks with relevant expertise, and go seek help immediately.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FoxTerrier posted:

Hey Tomn, how does this look as a short companion piece to go with your more detailed one? Lemme know. :sun:

Now, see, this is something more in line with something a wandering goon might read. Probably more useful as a working primer, where mine is more a summary of events thus far.

That said, couple of things I think might needed some correction...

- Labaras is spelled Labaras - I wouldn't be too embarrassed about this since Nettlesoup kindly informed me that not only did I misspell Ishamal as Ishmael in my own summary, I'd been misspelling it this entire CYOA.

- Baitel, not Baetel.

- This isn't all that important, but an interesting point I noticed while writing up the summary is Xuriel being referred to as female in a few places in the past, notably during Ishamal's story of Enkidu's end. Could just be a typo, but it might be an indication that the "Uncle Jorah" persona is not in fact indicative of gender.

- I'd have to double-check, but I don't think the Temple of Melachim believes El is a Melachim at all - I think they believe that he is completely fabricated by the sons and grandsons of Labaras to justify their own rule.

- Relatedly, something I forgot about/glossed over myself until Diog's post updating us about Bareen's faith yesterday, the Temple of Melachim apparently believe Labaras himself is to be revered - it's his sons and grandsons who subverted his legacy.

- While it's true that being Blooded does, strictly speaking, mean being descended from Labaras, it's worth noting that people often talk about being "more" or "less" Blooded, with the level of Bloodedness indicating how Mighty a person is. The truer your Blood is to the pure old lineage, presumably, the Mightier you are.

- Different men do not have different forms of Might. Tudiya, for instance, is as good as or better than everyone else in every Mighty field. What different men DO have is different focuses, bits that are stronger and weaker - Aaron's focus on speed, for instance. However, in theory, a more Mighty man than Tudiya would be superior to every other Mighty Man in every aspect.

- It may or may not be worth mentioning Team Asherah in the description of Asherah.

- It may be worth noting that Bloodedness and Might is not supposed to pass down matrilineally according to the ToE - women are not supposed to be Mighty, and the grandsons of Blooded men through their mother are not supposed to be Blooded.

- Relatedly, Bareen is reputed to be Mighty - she's larger and stronger than most anyone, certainly.

- Just noticed - misspelled Xuriel in the Names to Know bit.

- Come to that, I THINK Asherah is supposed to be spelled with an H at the end...at least, I sure hope so, or I'm going to need to do a lot of editing.

- For that matter, I don't think Tudiya needs an H at the end either - again, I sure hope that's the case.

- I believe Azzazel has three Zs, as well.

- Minor spelling issue - Labaras' sons "hoard" power, not "horde" it.

I think that's all I got for now. Now if someone would do the same for my own summary, I'd feel a lot better about it.

Edit: Oh, yeah, two things. Point A, thanks to Hiho Chiro for the links - that'd be handy. I'd ask if he wants to tackle the summary, but I'm going to need to edit it and it's going to be a hell of a job.

Point B, Mighty Man is a job description - there are Mighty people who are not Mighty Men. Basically a Mighty Man is a Blooded person sworn to the defense of a single city. Strongly Blooded people can still have superpowers, but don't necessarily need to tie themselves down to a city and thus become sworn in as Mighty Men. The real power lies in the Blood, not in being a Mighty Man.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 18, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think we also should have a sort of character sheet for Enkidel. We can't really use numbers but we can get a pretty solid description of things Enkidel can do and his occasional feats, like the snipe shot on the Grove Scorpion or conjuring fire that one time.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I think we also should have a sort of character sheet for Enkidel. We can't really use numbers but we can get a pretty solid description of things Enkidel can do and his occasional feats, like the snipe shot on the Grove Scorpion or conjuring fire that one time.

A good idea - a brief list of known abilities like the one drawn up while we were telling Tudiya what we wanted to be would be a good addition to the OP.

Edit: Though I suppose we'd need to add "Has not taken a dump in a month or more" to that list.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tomn posted:

Edit: Though I suppose we'd need to add "Has not taken a dump in a month or more" to that list.

Very Efficient Digestion

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

SerSpook posted:

If we have a description of how he looks I can do a drawing of him if you would like.

(I am still working on that Madgod painting Doig, just kinda slowly.)

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

BoneMonkey posted:

If we have a description of how he looks I can do a drawing of him if you would like.

We already have a drawing of him

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

BoneMonkey posted:

7'11, and proportional for size, though heavily muscled. Dark skinned but not black.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post420901973

This post has a description of us after our manhood trial. We wear our hair tied loosely behind us, and cut to just below shoulder length, if the hair-cutting we got from Tudiya is an indication of hair length. It also hangs straight I'd guess, based on what I remember from Athar.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Thanks SerSpook I should be able to draw something Thursday night(ish)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, two things. Point A, thanks to Hiho Chiro for the links - that'd be handy. I'd ask if he wants to tackle the summary, but I'm going to need to edit it and it's going to be a hell of a job.
:gonk:

I'll see what I can do.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am off to work. If anyone wants do a count, I will try to do a morning update in a few hours, if not, expect one tonight.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

:gonk:

I'll see what I can do.

Hold off on that for now - I'm gonna do a quick look-over to see what can and can't be cut and whether I left out anything of particular importance, and you might end up with a fair whack of wasted work if you add in links right now. In fact, come to think of it I'd better add the links in myself while I'm doing that. So...yeah.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn. All of your proposed corrections are correct. Also, some people spell the names wrong but I have not bothered correcting them, if that is the way you imagine them, fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Thank you, Thomn!

I threw that together in a fit of passion, so I figured there would be plenty of typos and incorrect niggling details. Now I won't have to go through and dig them out myself! HUZZAH! :dance:

There are one or two minor points I may be forced to fudge over a bit for the sake of brevity, so don't be sad if I don't represent every concern in the final draft. :ohdearsass: But again, thank you.

Now, I unfortunately need to get back to a copyediting job with a tight deadline. So I won't be able to fix my GOON SUMMARY until sometime tomorrow or the next day. I also probably will not be able to look at yours either, as I have a feeling the project I'm working on is going to destroy my ability to look at commas and semicolons without screaming for a little while. Sorry. :(

If anyone has any other things they caught in my baby summary, please feel free to post. Or better yet, PM me so I don't miss whatever it is you caught! :)

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I took the liberty of linking to certain posts in your summary, FoxTerrier. I hope you don't mind :ohdear:

This is amazing, thank you!