Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I was just behind a guy in a red Fiesta with Florida plates. While merging, he opened his door, stuck his head out, and looked backwards behind the car. :stare: It was a pretty new car and he had side mirrors.

As I read that, I actually made the :stare: face. People never cease to amaze me in their stupidity.

Disclaimer: I am from Florida and it wasn't me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I guess the panel that holds in the rear lights in my E30 rattled loose while I was on the highway a few days ago because I lost my left rear turn signal. I started signaling out my window and I'm fairly certain not a single person behind me actually knew what I was doing.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Wait until you signal right, and people assume you are tossing a lit cigarette. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spotted today: Someone driving an early-'00s Chrysler minivan, full of passengers, with the left front tire so badly deflated that the rim was maybe an inch off of the pavement (stock wheels with decidedly not low-profile tires) and the whole van was visibly leaning towards that corner.

Oh, and it was going 65MPH in the middle of US60. :stonk:

My wife managed to get their attention enough to make them at least slow down and merge right - not sure if they did it because they understood "YOUR TIRE IS loving FLAT" or if they just wanted to get away from the person wildly gesticulating at them :v: According to her the tire itself was already starting to disintegrate by that point.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

In his defense, it was a Fiesta. Those side mirrors are likely decoration only.

2014 Fiestas have side mirrors with little integrated blind spot mirrors on them.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cocoa Crispies posted:

2014 Fiestas have side mirrors with little integrated blind spot mirrors on them.

Those are called "Passengers" over here. :v:

I admit, it was just a cheap shot at Fiestas.

v- Also more reliable.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

rscott posted:

I started signaling out my window and I'm fairly certain not a single person behind me actually knew what I was doing.

I hand signal in the T-Bird all the time. When your arm is on the sill, it's just less work than reaching back into the car to flip the lever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Can't wait to see what's in store for me, 4-6" of snow that started only a few hours before rush hour. It's now half past 6... what's traffic look like?

There isn't a :stonk: big enough.

Multiple accidents on every major highway, too.

Learn to drive in the snow you loving lemmings, god drat it. :argh:

I wish snow came in two varieties. None, or two feet at a time. Then everyone would stay the gently caress home and I'd have the highway to myself.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
ah, first major snowfall in upstate NY.

On the way to work, someone in a Honda CR-V alternating between going 15mph and slamming on the brakes while straddling two lanes of a four-lane road, only moving toward a lane when it came time to block somebody from trying to go around them. On the way home, I get a lovetap while at a stoplight ( no damage, thank god ). And yesterday I almost got nailed from behind, but at the last minute got to watch a swerving panic stop almost send them into oncoming traffic, as well the ensuing fifteen-point turn to get back into their lane.

Most people around here are surprisingly reasonable on lovely snowy days, but for gently caress's sake ... I don't want a new car *that* badly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

In rush hour situations it's not as much a problem with knowing how to drive, but more a fact that as people try to increase their intervals fewer cars can fit on the road, which slows everything down.

That map only shows four accidents which undoubtedly slows things down even more, but that doesn't seem like an unusual number, at least it wouldn't be for the Chicago area.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I was just behind a guy in a red Fiesta with Florida plates. While merging, he opened his door, stuck his head out, and looked backwards behind the car. :stare: It was a pretty new car and he had side mirrors.

Perhaps he's a DC-3 pilot? Force of habit and all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

In rush hour situations it's not as much a problem with knowing how to drive, but more a fact that as people try to increase their intervals fewer cars can fit on the road, which slows everything down.

That map only shows four accidents which undoubtedly slows things down even more, but that doesn't seem like an unusual number, at least it wouldn't be for the Chicago area.

This is the northeast, increasing intervals would be nice but really doesn't happen all that much. Maybe a little.

There were 2-3 accidents EACH on the ring highways (495 outer and 95 inner) about an hour before that screenshot was taken and their effects are still being felt.

I looked at it a few more times and decided I'd rather surf the net at work and then drive home on a reasonably empty road than drive home in Mad Max conditions and then surf the net, so I still haven't found out just how ugly things really are out there.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Kill-9 posted:

I hand signal in the T-Bird all the time. When your arm is on the sill, it's just less work than reaching back into the car to flip the lever.

:master:

I got out of the habit of ever using hand signals, simply because I have to play the million questions game every time I have a passenger and do it because apparently nobody knows what hand signals are. Come on, that was basically the only useful thing I learned from driver's ed!

Keep in mind I live in Bicycle Capitol, USA where it's Bike To Work Day every day of the year so it's pretty shocking/concerning how often people who have drivers licences don't know what hand signals are/mean.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 18, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I am currently on a business trip to Toronto, and I have to say that Canadian drivers are incredibly not-awful. They drive pretty close to the speed limits (even though they are rather low, 100kph is the highest I've seen) most of them don't tailgate, and most of them actually signal turns and lane changes!

It's bizzare, but it's not why I made this post. I made this post because in the three days I've been here I have yet to see a single police car. Earlier this evening I saw a car stopped in the left lane of a 6 lane (3 each way) road. When I first saw it the driver was messing around under the hood. I passed it again 40 mins later and he was staning in the median with his passenger. I passed it again another 40 mins later and it appeared to be abandoned. No cops, no tow truck.

Does Toronto have police, or is everyone so well behaved that they don't need them?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Edward IV posted:

This is the Garden State Parkway after snowing for the better part of the day. Lane markers are completely covered and it was hard to judge where the sides of the road were. Note all the plows off to the left waiting. :argh:

Fortunately, my Impreza's AWD proved it's worth but I still didn't feel comfortable going faster than 45MPH. Though this is all just north of I-195. The weather turned into rain minutes later as I was heading south. Still, I kind of want more snow to drive in.

For all the poo poo people say about NJ drivers, everyone on the road drove reasonable for the weather. There were decent following distances, wide berths that turned the three-lane highway into a two-lane, no speeding beyond 45 MPH, and not suddenly cutting in and out of traffic.

This is kind of what the beginning of the turnpike was like driving home two weeks ago from Philly :(

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

InterceptorV8 posted:

The AARP is the most powerful union ever. And that includes the old Soviet Union. How else do you explain RV having 800+ HP engines, air brakes, 60K GVW and still doing 45 in a 75mph zone? And you don't get your eyes checked every couple of years at the DMV? I know I get my poo poo checked for my medical, but I also always get me vision checked at the DMV when I renew. Funny story about that, I am legal to drive a normal car without glasses, but I have to wear glasses to drive a CMV.

This guy knows what's up, AARP is the Emperor of all unions and lobbies. I think even Big Ag would think twice about going up against them.

Personally I'm okay with Grandpa Cottontop doing 45 on the freeway in his technically-not-a-semi, because it means there's just that much less kinetic energy coming my way when he falls asleep at the wheel or strokes out and barges into my lane/onto my vehicle. It's still annoying as hell but if poo poo happens that's 30mph less odds that my ticket's going to get punched if he hits me.

And yeah you're supposed to get a recheck on your eyes but like Snowdens Secret said, many DMV employees will help you fake it through. The person at the counter here in Texas didn't even seem to be listening when I did my vision test and just kind of handwaved through it. Thankfully I have good eyes til I hit 40, then it's time to shell out on that vision plan at work(thanks for the eyeballs, liver, and kidneys Dad. Particularly the liver and kidneys you apparently stole from Bacchus himself).

I'd expect that anybody with a CDL is going to get a much higher degree of scrutiny than a normal C class. Since most CDL holders are going to be operating semis or other large heavy vehicles the odds of lots of people dying if you gently caress up(rather than just one or two people with cars, also the odds of large amounts of infrastructure damage for the hazmat transport guys) are much higher. Even though it's a pain in the rear end for you drivers.

Maker of Shoes, that's the equivalent of basically every work trailer you see here in DFW. I could count the number of flats I'd had on one hand until I moved here, and in 2 1/2 years the road hazard plan on my current set of tires has paid for itself at least twice over due to picking up every nail, screw, and other piece of shrapnel dropped out of the landscaping and contractors' lovely-rear end trailers. I should just bite the bullet and throw down on one of those wide shop-sweeping magnets and suspend it from my bumper on chains at this point. loving Arlington doesn't seem to believe in the concept of street sweepers.

\/\/ My adrenaline always spikes a little bit when I'm riding and I see anybody waiting to go left at a non-light-controlled intersection. My old roommate had an old lady stare him in the eyes and creep out from a gas station into the lane and block it off with less than 50 feet inbetween them. Swerving was not an option due to it being a 2-lane road with traffic at the moment and her sticking the Buick's nose all the way to the yellow, he was lucky to get out of it with just a most-of-the-body bruise. I hope your Dad's alright and that he was wearing his helmet/riding gear.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 18, 2013

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Don't be that guy. Someone turned left in front of my dad tonight and he hit them on his motorcycle. They couldn't see his Goldwing or neon yellow riding jacket or pulsing headlights.

I hate people. This is the second person who has turned left in front of him since I graduated high school. I honestly hope he quits riding this time. I'm a loving mess and need sleep now.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

Sidenote, I hate the AARP and all the mail they send me EVERY DAY because they think I'm 50+. All they do is sell insurance and now cell phones. Asking to be removed does not work so I will declare to the post office I find their material sexually provocative which forces them to stop sending mail or face prosecution. This is a supreme court approved technique. :v:

Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

Is there a way to reverse this technique? So I can sign up for sexually provocative mass mailings from senior citizens?

Y'know, just curious.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Does Toronto have police, or is everyone so well behaved that they don't need them?

Toronto police just appear in a puff of smoke when they're needed. I once saw a guy ripping through rush hour traffic at 180+km/h, barely missing cars as he used whatever lane, including the shoulder, that was available to maintain that speed. A few kilometres later I saw him pulled over getting his car impounded. I never saw a cruiser come from behind me so I assume they used magics.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Also the Ontario Provincial Police will have an officer stand on top of a bridge with high vis vest pointing a radar gun down a flat 2km stretch of the 401 highway on a sunny day. On the other side of the bridge is 5-6 cruisers that will always be busy pulling over cars. If you fail to notice Mr. Bright Vest and his giant tripod by about 1000 metres out then you probably aren't paying attention to driving and deserve to win the stupid prize for being stupid. They don't usually pull anyone over unless they're doing more than 120, so you're oblivious to your surroundings and travelling at about 30-40km/h over the speed limit. I really can't find any fault in their speed trap setup.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Don't be that guy. Someone turned left in front of my dad tonight and he hit them on his motorcycle. They couldn't see his Goldwing or neon yellow riding jacket or pulsing headlights

Is he okay? I've seen way too many horror stories from people turning in front of motorcycles or opening car doors blindly. I remember one guy from medical school who dislocated one knee, shattered the other femur ... and we found loving lung cancer on his chest CT.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

... and we found loving lung cancer on his chest CT.

I think that is the very definition of a lovely day.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My '11 does too, I think they've had them since at least 2008. With all the mirrors the rearward visibility is good and you don't have to turn your head to look behind you. I can only imagine that guy wasn't used to it and couldn't see behind him with a normal head check (due to the headrests) and opening the door was his next best idea. Another case of someone not getting used to their car before driving.

kastein posted:

Can't wait to see what's in store for me, 4-6" of snow that started only a few hours before rush hour. It's now half past 6... what's traffic look like?

There isn't a :stonk: big enough.

Multiple accidents on every major highway, too.

I wish snow came in two varieties. None, or two feet at a time. Then everyone would stay the gently caress home and I'd have the highway to myself.

Luckily my commute is super short. My friends were posting on Facebook how their 30-60min commutes were turned into 2+ hours.

Storms like these, when it snows during the day, are the worst for bad drivers. It forces all the people who do everything possible to avoid snow (aside from moving somewhere it doesn’t) to get on the road while it’s snowing during rush hour. So now they’re scarred and don’t know how to deal with the conditions.

I took my mom out in it last night after I got home to get her used to her Escape that she hasn’t driven in the snow much. I just showed what the traction and stability control did and the noises they made as they worked. The ABS is much louder in this car than her Blazer’s was so I didn’t want her to think something was broken. Then I tried to get it stuck on unplowed hills and, with the combo of AWD and snow tires, it had no problems. I gave her confidence in her new car so she wouldn’t be one of those people you share the road with.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

We have similar in Tampa, except it's a sheet of plywood with some wheel barrow tires bolted on piled as high as possible with unsecured palm fronds and yard debris going 65mph.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

We have similar in Tampa, except it's a sheet of plywood with some wheel barrow tires bolted on piled as high as possible with unsecured palm fronds and yard debris going 65mph.

I immediately signaled to get over and took that right because gently caress being anywhere near that guy.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

kastein posted:

I work as a courier for a hospital so last night was the worst for us. Two hours Plymouth to Hanover on RT3. It was impressive though the only person I saw in a ditch was a dude in a Raptor. Other than that everyone knew slow and steady keeps you out of a tree filled ditch. I slid my work Grand Caravan all over the place though, retread tires and summer wipers hoooooooo. Dropping gears down in those things is awful, PND3L, L I want to think is 1st and 2nd put together to kill people. So while slowing nice in 2nd it will drop into 1 and pretty much throw the car off the road. GM had it right with their four speeds. Selecting the individual gears is best.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Spotted on the way to work today.

Do NOT
Double
Stack

Lol.

Got the hell away from this one as quick as I could.

edit : oh look gas is cheap today

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Is he okay? I've seen way too many horror stories from people turning in front of motorcycles or opening car doors blindly. I remember one guy from medical school who dislocated one knee, shattered the other femur ... and we found loving lung cancer on his chest CT.

He woke up this morning. He has a fractured tibia right below his knee, a couple of fractured ribs and a little road rash on his right knee, shin and top of his foot. I'm very thankful he is doing well so far.

He started to wake up this morning and let the nurse know he was hurting a bit. They had him moving his fingers and toes so I'm hoping he is going to be OK soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Injured ribs are the worst, I've never fully broken one but I've had fractures and even just a fracture makes life a living hell. Every sneeze or cough is murder, and sleeping is even worse because you can't put any pressure on the ribs without agony.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

SFH1989 posted:

Storms like these, when it snows during the day, are the worst for bad drivers. It forces all the people who do everything possible to avoid snow (aside from moving somewhere it doesn’t) to get on the road while it’s snowing during rush hour. So now they’re scarred and don’t know how to deal with the conditions.

I am fairly new to Colorado and have almost no experience driving in heavy snow (came from So. California). During the few snows we have had this winter, I just take the bus rather than gently caress with it. I would rather do that than deal with other people being idiots and my own inexperience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wiggly posted:

During the few snows we have had this winter, I just take the bus rather than gently caress with it. I would rather do that than deal with other people being idiots and my own inexperience.

Just be careful which bus you get on. :v:

http://youtu.be/uq3-QJW-X-Q

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

Injured ribs are the worst, I've never fully broken one but I've had fractures and even just a fracture makes life a living hell. Every sneeze or cough is murder, and sleeping is even worse because you can't put any pressure on the ribs without agony.

I had my sternum separated when I was in highschool(wrestling move gone wrong) and holy gently caress did that suck. It hurt to breath for a couple of weeks and hurt to lay down for a couple of months. One of the worst things about rib injuries is going to the doctor. I got x-rays and all that and the doctor just says "Looks like you separated your sternum, thats gonna hurt for a while.". Didn't even give me any pain meds. Even to this day, ~13 years later, any hit to my rib cage will drop me to the ground since its one of those fun injuries that will never fully heal.

I actually ended up screaming at a guy riding a motorcycle the other morning, since he decided that he really wanted to be in the far right lane, despite being in the far left lane in heavy traffic on a 6 lane one way off ramp/street. I was waiting for traffic to clear the intersection before pulling forward, and right as I start to hit the gas, he pulls in front of me facing sideways trying to push his way to the other side of the road. I guess riding a motorcycle in seattle isn't dangerous enough for him, so he had to try and make me hit him. I am always very aware of motorcycles since I know way too many people who have been hurt by drivers being idiots, so it pisses me off even more when they do really stupid poo poo.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Negromancer posted:

Even to this day [..] any hit to my rib cage will drop me to the ground since its one of those fun injuries that will never fully heal.

Don't you love it when you try to reach out beyond oh, a foot, and stretch to grab something? Isn't it loving AWESOME?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Driving a full size RV at freeway speeds is scary and requires a lot of skill and concentration.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Driving a full size RV at freeway speeds is scary and requires a lot of skill and concentration.

Especially when you get passed by a semi and the wake created makes the RV veer to the right.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ijustam posted:

Especially when you get passed by a semi and the wake created makes the RV veer to the right.

That weird high pressure wave just at the front of a big rig that pushes you AWAY, then you have to keep 'er straight as you get sucked back into it as you pass*. Took me a bit to figure that out on my first interstate roadtrip.

*I'm not imagining this, am I?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

That weird high pressure wave just at the front of a big rig that pushes you AWAY, then you have to keep 'er straight as you get sucked back into it as you pass*. Took me a bit to figure that out on my first interstate roadtrip.

*I'm not imagining this, am I?

I think it's imagination, because once you get past the bow shock you're in "clean" air. What I think happens is that when the truck's turbulence pushes you away, you turn the steering wheel to compensate. Then you suddenly get past the turbulence with the wheel still turned, causing you to lurch back towards the truck.

That's just a guess though.. remember your vehicle is pushing air too and I'm not sure what interactions might arise when your bow shock gets in front of the truck's.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BabyMauler posted:

I work as a courier for a hospital so last night was the worst for us. Two hours Plymouth to Hanover on RT3. It was impressive though the only person I saw in a ditch was a dude in a Raptor. Other than that everyone knew slow and steady keeps you out of a tree filled ditch. I slid my work Grand Caravan all over the place though, retread tires and summer wipers hoooooooo. Dropping gears down in those things is awful, PND3L, L I want to think is 1st and 2nd put together to kill people. So while slowing nice in 2nd it will drop into 1 and pretty much throw the car off the road. GM had it right with their four speeds. Selecting the individual gears is best.

Chrysler loves doing that, they did it on the cherokee too. PRND3(2-1).

And yeah, it almost bit me a couple times last night, fortunately I'm used to it and knew that when you feel it start moving forward slightly faster because it's midway through a harsh downshift, you should feed it a little more gas so the engine braking isn't so bad when it dumps you into 1st with the overrunning sprag disabled.

I drove from Woburn (1 exit south on 93 from the 93/95 interchange) to Southbridge (90/84 interchange) last night. That was hair raising, mostly because of the idiots.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

He woke up this morning. He has a fractured tibia right below his knee, a couple of fractured ribs and a little road rash on his right knee, shin and top of his foot. I'm very thankful he is doing well so far.

He started to wake up this morning and let the nurse know he was hurting a bit. They had him moving his fingers and toes so I'm hoping he is going to be OK soon.

Glad to hear he's gonna make it at least, stories like this are one reason why I don't ride. I'm more afraid of every idiot on the road than road conditions or my driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 22, 2018