Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

One of our professionals just paid for a webinar, and got this email:

quote:

2. Attached is the handout for today’s webinar. To open the handout, you must have APPLICATIONNAME READER downloaded on your computer (you will likely need to contact your IT department to insure you can access APPLICATIONNAME and/or WebEx).

To download the APPLICATIONNAME reader, please click here: http://images.domain.com/download/applicationreader.zip to install the APPLICATIONNAME reader on your computer. Once the APPLICATIONNAME Reader is downloaded onto your computer, you can then open and print the attached handout. If you have any questions or problems with APPLICATIONNAME and/or the handout, please email PERSON at ___.

After opening the attached handout using the instructions above, please copy in color, two-sided for each attendee who will be viewing the webinar in your location. This webinar handout contains all the PowerPoint® slides (starting on page 2) that will be used during this webinar, and other relevant materials. This handout must be downloaded and printed today. It should be copied for each attendee according to the terms of use below.

[snip]

4. TERMS OF USE GOVERNING THE CONTENT OF THIS WEBINAR, HANDOUT, POWERPOINT SLIDES AND ALL OTHER COURSE MATERIALS – By paying to register for this webinar, you agree to abide by the “one location, one firm, one office, one view” use terms of purchase which are defined as follows: one location, one firm, one office, one view use registration includes one telephone connection, one master set of the copyrighted handout and presentation slides (which can be copied for the number of participants attending this webinar on the appropriate date in one listening room), one Internet connection, and an unlimited number of participants all of whom are employed in the same firm, in one office of that same firm, in one listening room. If you would like multi-office, multi-firm and/or multi-view registration fees, please contact [name].

Under these “one location, one firm, one office, one view” use terms of purchase, it is also unlawful to forward, copy, record, tape, re-broadcast, re-use or further distribute the webinar access link, webinar itself and/or webinar handout and/or presentation slides to anyone not pre-registered, or to re-use the course materials in any manner in the future without paying first and without prior written permission from the copyright/trademark owner.

The application is some "stop people from copying your IP!" thing, but... we can just print it and scan it if we want to and the application that they sent to my user made trend/officescan freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Time to crack out the DVI capture cards just to piss them off

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wait why do I care the application is this thing: http://www.artistscope.com/copysafe_pdf_protection.asp

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
http://www.dailydot.com/crime/cybercrime-wifi-wealth-managers/

This. In this case I don't know if it's Kroll lying for good PR (because security companies seem to lie all the time - I know of at least one competitor who've demoed a feature they have "in beta on iOS" when Apple haven't actually written the feature yet, and then there's the usual lies to get sales (Seriously, there's at least one vendor out there selling poo poo they haven't even started to write yet, though it's my understanding that customers are beginning to become sophisticated enough to shoo off the worst snake oil salesmen)) or if the IT guys at "wealth management" companies are awful at security but I can think of 2 or 3 fairly trivial ways to make this class of attack totally impossible to pull off.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm getting close to the end of a major project to combine our L.A. staff in one HQ. The move is set for 12/27 and today I hear that at least a dozen of the forty people coming to this site insist on maintaining an office at their old site. Several are desktop users so it's not as simple as putting a docking station together. Also they will all require new IP phones since they're bringing their current one to the new HQ.

Not sure how many executives will do the same. I know of two for certain, and as other executives catch wind of it they'll want to do it too.

The icing on the cake? They won't get to keep their offices at the old site so I'll also be building out new offices and have to get one or more copiers and multiple printers to serve them. And they want it all done by the move date which obviously can't happen since demo can't even start until they move out.

Fuckers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm getting close to the end of a major project to combine our L.A. staff in one HQ. The move is set for 12/27 and today I hear that at least a dozen of the forty people coming to this site insist on maintaining an office at their old site. Several are desktop users so it's not as simple as putting a docking station together. Also they will all require new IP phones since they're bringing their current one to the new HQ.

Not sure how many executives will do the same. I know of two for certain, and as other executives catch wind of it they'll want to do it too.

The icing on the cake? They won't get to keep their offices at the old site so I'll also be building out new offices and have to get one or more copiers and multiple printers to serve them. And they want it all done by the move date which obviously can't happen since demo can't even start until they move out.

Fuckers.

Why are you merging the buildings staff if you aren't selling the building? I'm confused as to why you are moving them over and then they are allowed to refuse. If they want to be at both places tell them they can only be at one location. I'm sure this is outside of your control but this just sounds stupid, are they going to go to one office one day and the other the next?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

stubblyhead posted:

Look man it's either the win7 upgrade or the gold leaf rear end gaskets in the executive washroom. I'm sure you understand.

The thing is, I reckon it would just about even out vs extended support for maybe year one but there's no way that if we do that they'll get their act together to do the roll out a year later and we'll then end up having to pay even more.

And what's worse is that they had a golden opportunity to start it off years ago when they upgraded a load of desktops but wasted it. I just want to be able to pin poo poo to the taskbar dammit :mad:

Edit: gently caress I just realised, if they haven't started yet then it wont be done until after April anyway so the company will basically have to buy extended support (which I guess is in 1 year increments) and put money into the rollout over the following 12 months to avoid getting stung for even more the year after when the cost ramps up further. I bet the amount this costs totals a tiny fraction we've pissed away poaching teams from other companies then firing them after 6 months.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 18, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't know what to do if you sat me down in front of an XP box any more, I think I'd be lost trying to search for things in the start menu. I honestly don't think I've touched XP this decade.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Caged posted:

I wouldn't know what to do if you sat me down in front of an XP box any more, I think I'd be lost trying to search for things in the start menu. I honestly don't think I've touched XP this decade.

gently caress, man. My mom brought over her old PC when I gave her her newer old PC that I'd built from parts laying around and this POS was a single core Athlon with 1GB of RAM. So I wanted to refurb it, put a fresh install of XP and donate it somewhere.

Good fun to remember that Windows Update no longer works with the default version of IE that comes with XP (v8 is it?) and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to manually patch the windows update process and IE to get it up to a minimum level to where you can then run windows update.

Yeah, gently caress that. Won't be doing that again...

...and the PC is in the corner under a pile of empty boxes. Unused and un-donated.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haha you just reminded me that Windows Update was handled in a browser in XP. What the gently caress caused someone to think that was a good idea.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Working on some AD stuff today since we're moving domains and servers. Someone decided that they weren't going to update the list of employee names for things like name changes ,or because I work in an asian heavy environment, nicknames (basically). That's all fine and dandy until i come up with a list of about 25 names of Phlebotomists that I've never heard of :v:

Caged posted:

Haha you just reminded me that Windows Update was handled in a browser in XP. What the gently caress caused someone to think that was a good idea.
THIS. It's a pain in the rear end and sometimes just takes hours to figure out what updates it needs over our network. Our network is a blazing fast megabit, afterall.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just had a job interview that sounded awesome for what is basically Senior CurrentJob, and I was all excited until I found out that the position pays substantially less than I currently make, requires more work hours, and increases my commute from 10 minutes to 90 minutes each way.

Glad I figured out what the pay scale was before wasting a day off, I guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caged posted:

Try doing it nowadays, it takes forever. Its finicky too, sometimes it'll only trigger if you download some of the updates manually, otherwise it gets stuck. We had an issue when we were setting up our PC's (our customers get decent stuff, we get whatever is laying around, even in a support company they still think us running on xp is a good idea) where we needed to download the updates to comply with "protocol" but it wouldn't do any updates until we downloaded adobe. I don't know what the hell it was, but before adobe is downloaded, it doesn't work. After? Well it doesn't go fast but it moves.

On note of things getting stuck. No, co-worker, I do not give a poo poo that its not working. Repeated shouting of "its not working", bugging us all about it and walking off in a huff only to do it again in five minutes is not how you should fix things. Its also not good for my health, as I want to jump out of a loving window after an hour of it.

How legal is it to record someones voice in the office? I was thinking of showing you guys so you could :stare:. I'm in the UK if it helps.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

I am so happy that the troubleshooting instructions for my company when we see XP boxes is "See if it's something simple and then tell them to get a new computer."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I just had a job interview that sounded awesome for what is basically Senior CurrentJob, and I was all excited until I found out that the position pays substantially less than I currently make, requires more work hours, and increases my commute from 10 minutes to 90 minutes each way.

Glad I figured out what the pay scale was before wasting a day off, I guess.

if you haven't already, tell them you're making that now and that you expect a substantial increase for a senior position. But they probably already balked when you laughed at their first offer. Which you should have done.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

if you haven't already, tell them you're making that now and that you expect a substantial increase for a senior position. But they probably already balked when you laughed at their first offer. Which you should have done.

I found the salary in a second posting for the same position (not the one I saw when I applied for it) that I found after the phone interview. I'm going to just send it to them and tell them that I was expecting roughly 50% more for the position, and thanks but no thanks, since I honestly like my job and am paid fine but I'm just starting to stagnate.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today just before 4:30, I was offsite trying to satisfy a secretary's mutually exclusive, constantly shifting requirements for event management. I got a worried phone call wondering if I was on my way to a 5:00pm meeting. I was not, at the time, because I was not included on the email notifying everyone that it had been rescheduled to 4:30.

I was not allowed to do anything I was there to do over the next four hours for a variety of reasons. Tomorrow I have to be in two hours early for an all-day meeting.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Today I invited two demanding end users who are providing completely conflicting requirements for a new project to a meeting without telling them I invited both. Then I kicked it off, ensured they started arguing and quietly excused myself to go to take an "urgent call" to let them sort it out. I'd hoped to return to a dead body and a blood stained victor effectively resolving the issue, instead I came back to an empty room and a whiteboard detailing a third contradictory set of requirements...

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Agrikk posted:

Good fun to remember that Windows Update no longer works with the default version of IE that comes with XP (v8 is it?) and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to manually patch the windows update process and IE to get it up to a minimum level to where you can then run windows update.

I found this out the hard way today; after struggling a bit to remember where the Windows Update function was (a browser, loving really?) I ran into this problem and wondered what the gently caress was going on.

You surely don't mean IE8 as the default with a fresh XP install, do you? God, I wish; unfortunately, it's IE6.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The thing is, I reckon it would just about even out vs extended support for maybe year one but there's no way that if we do that they'll get their act together to do the roll out a year later and we'll then end up having to pay even more.

And what's worse is that they had a golden opportunity to start it off years ago when they upgraded a load of desktops but wasted it. I just want to be able to pin poo poo to the taskbar dammit :mad:

Edit: gently caress I just realised, if they haven't started yet then it wont be done until after April anyway so the company will basically have to buy extended support (which I guess is in 1 year increments) and put money into the rollout over the following 12 months to avoid getting stung for even more the year after when the cost ramps up further. I bet the amount this costs totals a tiny fraction we've pissed away poaching teams from other companies then firing them after 6 months.

That's just standard practice for ill-educated management, right?
Ignore the advice of technical people because you have no loving clue what they're talking about, then flap and moan later wondering why nothing was done because now it's costing money.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Having to clean up after adults.

If someone's had a meeting in the conference room they never push the chairs back in, remove the powerstrip they've used and most of the time they won't even remove coffee cups etc.

We've got a rotating kitchen schedule, whenever it's not someone's week they just put their poo poo on the bench and walk away. A loving teenager can be trained to put their poo poo in the dishwasher, why can't you?

Today i was told to set up four clients in the conference room for a training session that was supposed to start an hour later. Four clients, we don't have four clients. There's one thin client there and we have two "spare" up here but my boss gave away the only powerbrick and told me that it was no rush to order a new one. We have my old coworkers laptop and another laptop with a cracked display. ???? If he'd said anything about it yesterday i could have told him that it's near impossible to find four complete clients ..

There's one usb mouse but 20-30 ps/2 mice with balls.
There's maybe three usb keyboards, all of them have at some point been down in production so they're covered with metaldust / grime. There's also 10 ps/2 keyboards.

I've complained before that it's near impossible to not have any spare things here but nothing happens, i can't buy any because IT's not supposed to buy everything for every department. But when an idiot breaks his mouse and NEEDS A NEW ONE RIGHT NOWWWW he'll get it from the spares and nobody buys any new because we can't pay $15 in shipping for a $12 mouse.

We have tons of really useless poo poo laying around but the things you really would need is gone.

And the loving keyboards, god damnit, this summer i organized them in a big box. USB keyboards were in one part of the box and ps/2 in the other, they were also organized in Swedish/Danish/Norweigan (small differences but still), when i checked the box this morning it was just a big loving mess again. And where did all the wireless keyboards come from? (I could have used them except we don't have batteries and we won't buy any because "it shouldn't have to purchase batteries for every department"..

And guess who has to clean the conferenceroom when they're done in a few hours, yes me. If i'm lucky he will bring one of the 22" monitors with him but i'm not counting on it.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

On note of things getting stuck. No, co-worker, I do not give a poo poo that its not working. Repeated shouting of "its not working", bugging us all about it and walking off in a huff only to do it again in five minutes is not how you should fix things. Its also not good for my health, as I want to jump out of a loving window after an hour of it.

How legal is it to record someones voice in the office? I was thinking of showing you guys so you could :stare:. I'm in the UK if it helps.

Your on tricky ground, recently had to record lectures for a student missing classes because of extenuating circumstances. We had to get permission of all the students in the room. Have a look at this:

http://www.acitylawfirm.co.uk/recorded-conversations

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

seadweller posted:

Your on tricky ground, recently had to record lectures for a student missing classes because of extenuating circumstances. We had to get permission of all the students in the room. Have a look at this:

http://www.acitylawfirm.co.uk/recorded-conversations

That's a shame, i'll leave it for now, that's legally shady and i'd rather not risk it. Not that I could even record today, he's quite literally shouted himself hoarse.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

underlig posted:

If someone's had a meeting in the conference room they never push the chairs back in, remove the powerstrip they've used and most of the time they won't even remove coffee cups etc.

We've got a rotating kitchen schedule, whenever it's not someone's week they just put their poo poo on the bench and walk away. A loving teenager can be trained to put their poo poo in the dishwasher, why can't you?

Today i was told to set up four clients in the conference room for a training session that was supposed to start an hour later. Four clients, we don't have four clients. There's one thin client there and we have two "spare" up here but my boss gave away the only powerbrick and told me that it was no rush to order a new one. We have my old coworkers laptop and another laptop with a cracked display. ???? If he'd said anything about it yesterday i could have told him that it's near impossible to find four complete clients ..

There's one usb mouse but 20-30 ps/2 mice with balls.
There's maybe three usb keyboards, all of them have at some point been down in production so they're covered with metaldust / grime. There's also 10 ps/2 keyboards.

I've complained before that it's near impossible to not have any spare things here but nothing happens, i can't buy any because IT's not supposed to buy everything for every department. But when an idiot breaks his mouse and NEEDS A NEW ONE RIGHT NOWWWW he'll get it from the spares and nobody buys any new because we can't pay $15 in shipping for a $12 mouse.

We have tons of really useless poo poo laying around but the things you really would need is gone.

And the loving keyboards, god damnit, this summer i organized them in a big box. USB keyboards were in one part of the box and ps/2 in the other, they were also organized in Swedish/Danish/Norweigan (small differences but still), when i checked the box this morning it was just a big loving mess again. And where did all the wireless keyboards come from? (I could have used them except we don't have batteries and we won't buy any because "it shouldn't have to purchase batteries for every department"..

And guess who has to clean the conferenceroom when they're done in a few hours, yes me. If i'm lucky he will bring one of the 22" monitors with him but i'm not counting on it.

:allears:

Same thing here, plus: leaving cups in the conference room, windowsill, to the point that it develops it's own microworld; leaving trash next to a trashcan because people can't stomp the trash that's already in there, or stacking trash on top of the trashcan in a pyramid; leaving empty, half empty, full plastic cups all over the office. Also - not being able to replace light bulbs.

vvv funny you'd mention that. I did the same, though it was a plastic plate, left over by catering company (it had hole in the middle, but was to "office" usage). The amount of whining was... interesting.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 18, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

underlig posted:

I started throwing away people's dishes that they left in the sink when I worked at job-2. The whining that caused was worth the write-up.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

Going to go against the grain here. The Windows Update website, and ActiveX plugin, was a fantastic idea...

...in 1995, when it was launched.

Back then, most folk were on dialup, if they even had internet access at all, and 386s were still in daily use. The last thing you wanted was a background process chewing on lists of patches and causing you huge phone bills as it downloads things silently in the background.

Back then, if you wanted to patch your OS, you had to manually obtain lists of patches, probably from a website with a huge list, download them one by one and install them by hand, possibly rebooting after each one unless you knew how to use QChain.

This wasn't just sysadmins, home users had to do this too, only most didn't bother. Until this point it wasn't a huge issue as most home systems wern't online, but since dial-up was becoming increasingly common and you didn't even have NAT-as-a-firewall protecting dial-up users, this needed to be addressed. Internet worms and email viruses were a rising threat that looked set to displace the more traditional viruses that spread attached to that warezed copy of Doom II you got from that one person at school.

So having a website you could go to, at a time of your convenience, ideally at a time when the dial-up fees were cheaper (after 6PM, and before 9AM for the UK folk) and have an ActiveX plugin run that told you what patches you need and then automatically download and install them for you was a huge step forward that encouraged more people to protect their PCs.

To do this silently in the background, would have had people cursing Microsoft for killing the performance of their PCs and costing them a fortune in phone bills, especially those who had autodial configured. Plus it'd probably try to dial out while you were making a call on the same line, and that sucks, especially if you had your modem configured not to wait for a dialtone.

The automatic updates client that XP acquired (I think it was in SP2), and was also available for Windows 2000, was the first baby step towards the windows update we now know and love, but even in the early 2000s, it was not appropriate for everyone.

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 18, 2013

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Agrikk posted:

We still have a bunch of XP machines and reinstalling them from disk was a nightmare before I started carrying IE8 and SP3 on a pen drive.

Pissing me off: lovely web-based applications. Our HR admin system only works properly in IE8 or it throws up error messages everywhere, so I have to keep telling people to run newer versions in compatibility mode. This was annoying enough in IE9 and 10, but 11 got rid of the compatibility symbol by the address bar, so I spent the first week after IE11 arrived telling people how to put it back on through the toolbar (because no one read the email we sent). The company behind the system has no intention of making it compatible with newer versions.
Barclays Bank is even worse. The have a card reader that only works in IE8 and even compatibility mode doesn't work. And you can't install IE8 on a Win7 computer or uninstall IE as a program. You have to go into programs and features, view installed updates, uninstall IE11 then restart. Then do it again for IE10. Then do it again for IE9. For every user who needs to use the card reader. This is the seventh largest bank in the world.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

underlig posted:

I work for a school and I constantly see kids have more of a sense of responsibility than most adults. We also have a rotating kitchen schedule but it doesn't cover any of the other commonly used rooms. The conference rooms still tend to be a disaster area of scratch/doodle paper, half-drunken coffee cups, and chairs skewed all about.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

When did Windows Update stop supporting IE6? I know they stopped supporting IE5 a while ago (I want to say about 18 months) because I remember it being an issue with Windows 2000 and having to install IE6 by hand first.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

potato of destiny posted:

Not pissing me off: 2nd level techs who say things like "I'm interested in knowing how you did that"

Pissing me off: Realizing how unusual it's getting for me to actually hear something like that from 2nd level techs. :(

Seriously folks, have a goddamn technical interview sometime. Desktop support ain't all about "customer service skills".

gently caress, I wish my co-workers were like this. Instead it's: Oh, you fixed this last time, here you go, fix it again!

Nevermind the fact that the fix is documented.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

I haven't bothered with that in years. I just run from the commandline:
wuauclt /detectnow

Then, wait a few minutes and Windows update will download the latest Windows update agent and BITS. Another couple of minutes after it installs those, the updates come flooding in.

***edit***
Oh, hell. 2 posts in a row. Shoulda just edited my last post.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Urgh, I'm "That guy" working sick today because I ran out of sick days. I'm at that point where I'm not even really doing anything but holding my chair down to keep it from floating away because any time I do anything I get dizzy as gently caress. Oh well, at least I'm keeping myself locked in and not interacting with my coworkers today.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Pissing me off: lovely web-based applications. Our HR admin system only works properly in IE8 or it throws up error messages everywhere, so I have to keep telling people to run newer versions in compatibility mode.

What is it with web developers? Why do they insist on pulling this poo poo? It's web based, it should work in any browser. Even Netflix uses Silverlight but at least they are switching to HTML5.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Yaos posted:

What is it with web developers? Why do they insist on pulling this poo poo? It's web based, it should work in any browser. Even Netflix uses Silverlight but at least they are switching to HTML5.

The company I work for runs several stores that are Sthil outdoor power equipment dealers (chainsaws, trimmers, etc..). You should see the Sthil dealer websites.

There are several websites, one for invoicing, parts, service, etc... All of which proudly proclaim "Works best with IE 5.5 and above" at the bottom. IE 7 and 8 require compatibility mode to be enabled to somewhat work. IE 9,10, and 11 have problems no matter what. All other browsers are completely out of the question as most of the website will not function outside of IE.

The invoicing website actually works in most browsers, right up until you get to the part to download and view a PDF copy. The download links for these files are somehow engineered to work with ONLY IE. Their server does not send a MIME type nor does it supply a file extension, so all non-IE browsers see it as a HTML webpage and load it as such. Somehow it works properly with IE though; it pops up the save/download box with the correct file type and name. To make things worse the links are javascript, so you can't just right click and Save As. :argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
poo poo that doesn't piss me off...

We use LibreOffice here. Noticed this little blip in the LibreOffice 4.2 release notes: "Windows Registry as a configuration backend. Under Windows, LibreOffice uses keys under HKLM/Policies/LibreOffice as a configuration layer on the top of program's layer and below user's layer.With this feature it becomes possible to centrally manage LibreOffice configuration with Group Policy Objects in a Windows domain. It is possible to set and optionally lock many LibreOffice settings."

Finally! Now if only Mozilla would do the same with Firefox...

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

stevewm posted:

Finally! Now if only Mozilla would do the same with Firefox...

Google finally did it with Chrome for Business and they released ADM/ADMX files to manipulate it through GPO. You can also push out extensions via GPO. I've been moving everyone over to Chrome simply because they beat Mozilla to the punch.

Edit: Frontmotion compiles a version of Firefox with GPO support and distributes it as a msi. But you're relying on Frontmotion to not tamper too much with the code and you'll be up the creek if Frontmotion ever goes away.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 18, 2013

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
I'm getting the YOTJ itch, now. I love what I do, I really do, most of the people are great, but the pay is mediocre and the lack of vacation (its a sports team) is really starting to eat at me. Had food poisoning and basically had liquid going through me as fast as I could dump it into my face, and I was getting calls on day two asking me to suck it up and come in, last time I had vacation days was a single Friday (where I was still on call), got pulled aside and told I was doing a terrible job while boss was gone (multiweek vacation) and basically asked "what do you do here?" Luckily I had a lot of people come out of the woodwork and pump my tires which calmed people down. Can't help but feel like its about that time, though. My department consists of two people, we have something going on tonight at our stadium, and i'm the only guy here, which I don't mind necessarily, but give me a loving day off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TWBalls posted:

gently caress, I wish my co-workers were like this. Instead it's: Oh, you fixed this last time, here you go, fix it again!

Nevermind the fact that the fix is documented.

This poo poo kills me, but I also hate when people talk about me "having a relationship" with a vendor or client because I called them on the phone a single time about what was usually some kind of trivia.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Helushune posted:

Google finally did it with Chrome for Business and they released ADM/ADMX files to manipulate it through GPO. You can also push out extensions via GPO. I've been moving everyone over to Chrome simply because they beat Mozilla to the punch.

How the hell did I not see this?!

I really wish web developers and browsers as a whole would just agree on something... Ugh..

We have a handful of computers that need access to websites that in 2013 still only work in IE (and badly on new IE versions). However we also have to roll out a non-IE browser. Why? Because our main buying co-op uses a backend website built entirely on Microsoft Sharepoint that performs considerably better (when it isn't crashing with random database errors) with Firefox or a Webkit based browser!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'll want this too: http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/app/Deploying_and_Securing_Google_Chrome_in_a_Windows_Enterprise.pdf