Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Didn't realise how much has been added to the wiki, lot's of good stuff in there. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
Good to hear. Hopefully it won't all be wasted effort when ACE3 comes out in 2 years.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

According to the latest (and last for this year) Arma 3 SITREP the Stand-alone dedicated server client comes out tomorrow, which includes a Linux version something we've brought up before that we would probably need.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
I fixed the triggers, typos and some other stuff in From Russia With Love and Operation Short Straw. Here are the updated versions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3803707/arma2/missions/co10_from_russia_with_love.torabora.pbo
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3803707/arma2/missions/co14_operation_short_straw.clafghan.pbo

Also, I fixed the respawn and removed the towing tractors from the empty mission because some people were having too much fun. :reject:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3803707/arma2/missions/misc16_empty_mission.mbg_celle2.pbo

Snuffy the Evil fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 11, 2013

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
We need a mission with nothing but tractors and explosions! :torgue:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
ShackTac videos like the one from the LP piqued my interest in Arma 2 - which I got a while back with the intention of playing DayZ - but after futzing around with the Armoury for a while I think my competence in milsims is slim to none. Unless people make training missions or anything like that, I'll have to content myself with watching videos. I hope you guys record.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

We need a mission with nothing but tractors and explosions! :torgue:

If we actually had CWR2 I have the perfect mission with that. :v:
For shits and giggles I might just download CWR2 and see if I can't fix up that mission up Arma 2 standards. Shouldn't be that hard.

Dr Snofeld posted:

ShackTac videos like the one from the LP piqued my interest in Arma 2 - which I got a while back with the intention of playing DayZ - but after futzing around with the Armoury for a while I think my competence in milsims is slim to none. Unless people make training missions or anything like that, I'll have to content myself with watching videos. I hope you guys record.

As mentioned before I did have a stream running for all our sessions and I have a YT Channel collecting most of the videos that we've made of various things that has happened. But then I lost a whole bunch of sessions worth of material due to twitch archive settings and I stopped bothering. Should probably try to restart that again now that we've gotten into a decent run of things.
Shame about the quality really but my machine can't really handle streaming it at 720p nor record with MSI afterburner and play at the same time.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 10, 2013

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

We record on a very spotty occurrence. I would recommend coming around for a session on Saturday and test out the waters. There may be a lot of content to learn but, no one knows it all, so you are in the same boat we all are. Plus we have a wiki for things we dont understand.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?
:rory: Wednesday session in 17 hours :rory:

Dr Snofeld posted:

We're nowhere near as serious as ShackTac, if you really want to give it a try then I'd recommend just showing up for a Saturday session. If you're new nobody really expects you to know anything and even things like friendly fire on hour long missions are forgiven.

If you're really concerned about needing training first, I wouldn't mind hanging around for an hour or two on a non-session day to answer any questions or help you learn things on our server. I'll extend that offer to anyone else who is concerned about their Arma ability and wants to improve on something.

As for recording, Cooked Auto already posted his channel.

I've been trying to diagnose the problem of my audio tracks sometimes not recording so I've missed a lot of things but I do have some videos up at my YouTube channel and am working on more.

Ace pilot SoapyTarantula also uploads videos including some of our late night non-Arma activities. :heysexy:

Server host and butt enthusiast BrainBot has some videos too like the excellently terrifying Ride From Hell.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Sloane posted:

I'll extend that offer to anyone else who is concerned about their Arma ability and wants to improve on something.

I'd definitely be up for that. If it's possible I'd also ask for some pointers on mission creation, specifically concerning making them work with the mods we use. In the meantime, are there any good guides beside the one in the official wiki? Preferably tutorials that aren't 30+ minute-long, unedited, droning videos.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sloane posted:

:rory: Wednesday session in 17 hours :rory:

We're nowhere near as serious as ShackTac, if you really want to give it a try then I'd recommend just showing up for a Saturday session. If you're new nobody really expects you to know anything and even things like friendly fire on hour long missions are forgiven.

If you're really concerned about needing training first, I wouldn't mind hanging around for an hour or two on a non-session day to answer any questions or help you learn things on our server. I'll extend that offer to anyone else who is concerned about their Arma ability and wants to improve on something.

Thanks, but there's timezone issues. Also my problem seems to be that I seem to be unable to see infantry. Like, I've tried doing a few of those armoury challenges but I usually end up dying to enemies that may as well be invisible. It's not like I'm sprinting around like Unreal Tournament but by the time I realise I need to get down, I'm dead.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
Here's another quick mission I made.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3803707/arma2/missions/co12_the_roof_of_the_world.clafghan.pbo

Elth posted:

If it's possible I'd also ask for some pointers on mission creation, specifically concerning making them work with the mods we use.

There are a bunch of resources in the OP (under "mission editing") that I've found immensely useful, and I'm usually poking around on Steam if you want to ask me questions.

What exactly do you want to know?

Snuffy the Evil fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 11, 2013

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
I've uploaded/updated all missions in the thread. Also thanks for the reminder to go through my footage. I even found the a video with the end of a session then ~6 hours of Planetside 2 (audio only) that was eating up 15GB. I might even have enough clips of Hostage Crisis to make a video or two.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image

And this is what you come across when you happen to log onto the server when the mission hasn't apparently been reset

Of course, playing Roadblock on your own can lead to certain mishaps

Gonna get a video up on that soon because the noise from that was nothing short of a roar of fire.

Edit: I'm the Firestarter, twisted Firestarter.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 11, 2013

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Worst tour bus ever. :reject:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Worst tour bus ever. :reject:

That was like the second of three buses filled with Insurgents that drove up to the Roadblock within a few minutes time. First one I managed to set on fire with three pretty decently thrown hand grenades while trying to frag the passengers. That's the one on the left side of the road.
The second one I blew up with a satchel, but it must've been loaded with something else because I had a massive second detonation that knocked me into unconsciousness for a minute or so and then I woke up to that.
I think I dropped some artillery the third one or something because I heard a second large detonation at some point after that and you can see the wreck on the second picture just a bit off to the left in the distance.

What I did discover was that the MCC Laser guided artillery is great and hits spot on the laser pretty much regardless of where you click on the map, and the Vector is actually a laser designator as well.
Also that Caribou comes with it's own music, one track being titled Poltergeist Attack. :v:

Now if only the Random combat module would work as it should on that mission. :(

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Worst Tour Bus Ever would be a good mission. Dump civilians in the middle of a civil war and have them scrap up gear to get out from in between 2 fighting forces.

It would be funny to have the bus drive up to a certain NATO held checkpoint that had a spot light and glow sticks all over the place.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

It would be funny to have the bus drive up to a certain NATO held checkpoint that had a spot light and glow sticks all over the place.

Which should either be demolished by artillery or everybody is just dead.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Which should either be demolished by artillery or everybody is just dead.

That would actually be a great way to start the mission. Have the bus drive up and stop just short of the reoadblock. They have scripted arty drop which pops tires on the bus and leaves dead GIs (and bloodsuckers) :ssh: all over the place.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

That would actually be a great way to start the mission. Have the bus drive up and stop just short of the reoadblock. They have scripted arty drop which pops tires on the bus and leaves dead GIs (and bloodsuckers) :ssh: all over the place.

We really do need more missions with Bloodsuckers. I mean god knows what kind of crazy stuff we might actually have in all those Namalsk files. :tinfoil:

Heck it could even be the most ridiculous cliché thing in style with "An elite squad sent into to deal with an insurgent stronghold finds something much worse!(!!!!!!!)"

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 13, 2013

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

VanOwen posted:

Worst Tour Bus Ever would be a good mission. Dump civilians in the middle of a civil war and have them scrap up gear to get out from in between 2 fighting forces.

I just finished a Takistan mission with poorly armed insurgents around that area, I can see that being a good part two...

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

:rory: Saturday session in 18 hours :rory:

Dr Snofeld posted:

Thanks, but there's timezone issues. Also my problem seems to be that I seem to be unable to see infantry. Like, I've tried doing a few of those armoury challenges but I usually end up dying to enemies that may as well be invisible. It's not like I'm sprinting around like Unreal Tournament but by the time I realise I need to get down, I'm dead.

The Armory challenges are really weird and unbalanced, I wouldn't take them as a representation of what gameplay is normally like.

Hope you find a group to play with that fits your schedule, you're welcome to join us if you happen to move to another timezone.

Elth posted:

I'd definitely be up for that.

What do you want to improve on and when would be a good day/time?

Cooked Auto posted:

Roadblock on fire

Things happened after you left.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_5R0uywMI

I've also uploaded one of our best zombie escapes, though it's been hit by the microphone track loss bug that I'm still trying to solve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8SyFpk3hyY

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sloane posted:

Things happened after you left.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_5R0uywMI

I've also uploaded one of our best zombie escapes, though it's been hit by the microphone track loss bug that I'm still trying to solve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8SyFpk3hyY

Saw them earlier this week and they've been added them to the ACE Goons YT playlist.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

That escape the zombie mission was the funniest thing to watch.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Thanks again guys, this evening was hilarious!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So after having yet another Roadblock session, this time with the original version where nothing seems to really happen I threw together a "fixed" version of the 10 man one with all the original Roadblock scripts since they were completely missing from that file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29015696/co10_roadblockduty_ace_v14_jip.Takistan.pbo
Maybe that will fix the mission and make it a bit more interesting again. I have no goddamn clue. v:v:v

Also today I discovered one of the more important admin commands by pure accident.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 15, 2013

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

A few highlights from tonight's session (that I actually remembered to screenshot).

Snuffy leads from the front.

:unsmigghh:

Croguy telling a spooky story over the maglite fire while we wait for the blowout to pass.

croguy
Nov 25, 2013
Yesterday session only further proves the fact that the Battle Skoda is the most effective guerrilla incursion vehicle, even when a part of the team can't fit inside.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Here's a short video of the El Presidente mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QLFtkxfG4

EDIT: And here's another video, featuring Cooked Auto being abandoned by his teammates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XhDYdo_Jc

Elth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2013

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

So after having yet another Roadblock session, this time with the original version where nothing seems to really happen I threw together a "fixed" version of the 10 man one with all the original Roadblock scripts since they were completely missing from that file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29015696/co10_roadblockduty_ace_v14_jip.Takistan.pbo
Maybe that will fix the mission and make it a bit more interesting again. I have no goddamn clue. v:v:v

Also today I discovered one of the more important admin commands by pure accident.

Did you upload that new version to the server?

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

VanOwen posted:

Did you upload that new version to the server?

Before I did I took a look at the pbo up on the server. It has all the same scripts and calls as the version you uploaded.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BrainBot posted:

Before I did I took a look at the pbo up on the server. It has all the same scripts and calls as the version you uploaded.

Oh. Guess that confirms that the version we have is a working one. Just wish I could figure out what is seemingly interfering with the ambient combat module.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

I'm giving it a run now to see if anything changes.

Edit: No ambient combat so far... Decent cars arriving so far... but thats it. Is there is any logging we can use for the scripts?

VanOwen fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Edit: No ambient combat so far... Decent cars arriving so far... but thats it. Is there is any logging we can use for the scripts?

Yeah the pace of cars seems better in the JIP version than the original one for some reason.

Also have a totally pointless Arma 3 video I made with me shooting with the Anti-Mat rifles and the almost boner inducing noises a soundmod gives them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8hfcRulhk
One step closer to being finished. :v:

Edit: Working with downloaded stream footage that's in flv is still really goddamn annoying. Just as a fyi.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 16, 2013

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

That is pretty sweet. Hopefully the sort out bipods sooner then later.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So apparently there is a community driven project to upgrade A2+OA+DLC assets up to A3. How far this will actually go remains to be seen.

But someone has already started work on both the C-130 and the MV-22. :getin:

Also the AllinArma issue tracker is kinda hilarious to read.

Good news, I found that I do have some recordings of when Roadblock was extra weird. Not when it was THE weirdest but pretty weird.
Edit: Or it would've been great if I wasn't running into some serious desyncing issues with the extracted video after like 20 minutes. :bang: Might have found a solution.

Edit 2: In other news, JSRS 2.0 has been released for Arma3.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 16, 2013

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

:rory: Wednesday session in 16 hours :rory:

Not going to be around for Wednesdays until the new year, might miss a Saturday too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Don't fret. Nothing happens on Wednesdays anyway. :v:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Don't fret. Nothing happens on Wednesdays anyway. :v:

Boy you were right! We played like 3 hours of roadblock and the last 2 hours were spent standing around waiting for stuff to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Those Wed sessions are just rough. Middle of the work week and right in the middle of most US work hours.

• Locked thread