Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

oldskool posted:

Just started reading Fallout: Tennessee today and binged through the whole thread. Some growing pains with the system early but some really nice story advancement!

I can't speak for all the players involved, but I really appreciate you reading through our game and hope you've found it enjoyable! I was all glowing this morning when I saw your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
What exactly is the system being used for A Series of increasingly Unusual Incidents in Upstate New York?

I can't find the OOC/Recruitment thread for it anywhere, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

crowtribe posted:

What exactly is the system being used for A Series of increasingly Unusual Incidents in Upstate New York?

I can't find the OOC/Recruitment thread for it anywhere, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Cthulhu Noir with Dark Tales add-on

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

crowtribe posted:

A failed sanity check before they even leave the office? Ahahaha, bookmarked. :D

Dr.Idle posted:

I can't speak for all the players involved, but I really appreciate you reading through our game and hope you've found it enjoyable! I was all glowing this morning when I saw your post.

I'm only on page 1 of this, but if by the end it doesn't turn out that Therax is the Wanderer he's looking for, and that his quest is going to end up being a journey of self-discovery I'm going to be disappointed in you all. :3:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 4, 2013

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

RickVoid posted:

I'm only on page 1 of this, but if by the end it doesn't turn out that Therax is the Wanderer he's looking for, and that his quest is going to end up being a journey of self-discovery I'm going to be disappointed in you all. :3:

'Join us for a touching, coming of age story, where a young Deathclaw, finds himself in a heartfelt journey of self-exploration and gory dismemberment through the Tennessean Wastes. Coming to holotape and terminal text soon!'

That sanity check is probably a portent of things to come.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Lumpen posted:

:siren: EVENT :siren:

Although it seemed a long time had passed since anyone moved or spoke, one person was alert. Rascyc wasted no time at all taking the hard shaft in hand. Its reassuring length felt so right. Rascyc's hand traced lovingly over every inch of the stiff projection of the gun barrel. He pulled the cylinder from the mossy crevice, breaking off flecks of rust. This piece had seen better days, that's for sure. Still, it seemed to hold within it a terrible potential that made everyone shudder.

Six mossy holes presented themselves to Rascyc's gaze. The cylinder was empty, but somehow it seemed like there was no load it couldn't take. Could Rascyc reload it? Not alone. If Rascyc had a live round, that might be best kept secret. Anyone holding this unit would feel the same. However, surely someone could plug a hole in this welcoming chamber, if they didn't mind revealing that they were packing heat, with the full realization that everyone would be talking about it.

I hate you Lumpen

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Idle posted:

'Join us for a touching, coming of age story, where a young Deathclaw, finds himself in a heartfelt journey of self-exploration and gory dismemberment through the Tennessean Wastes. Coming to holotape and terminal text soon!'

That sanity check is probably a portent of things to come.

Not really responding to this post, but just wanted to get your attention, Doc.

In one of your recent posts in Fallout Tennesse, you've given Jackie's player the option to add a silencer to her revolver. Unless the dealer heavily modified the action and cylinder, sticking a silencer on the end isn't going to do anything to silence the weapon. I know it's Fallout, and "realism" only goes so far with that, but just wanted to make you aware of it.

Modifying ammo capacity on a revolver is difficult as well, because while you can just swap the cylinders for one with a spot for an extra bullet, you very quickly reach a point where you just can't put another spot for a bullet in without making the cylinder bigger, and the spot you're putting it on the frame is fixed size-wise.

Again, being nit-picky but wanted to point it out. Still loving it, keep it up!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Haha, yeah... I try to do some research, but even then I know next to nothing about guns. I will say the silencer is for the colt 10mm though. Hopefully, it's 'quieter' lol. Are there real world silencers that actually silence a gun shot? I thought they just muffled the sound and still made a pretty loud noise, not like the movie or TV 'pffts' you hear.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doctor Idle posted:

Haha, yeah... I try to do some research, but even then I know next to nothing about guns. I will say the silencer is for the colt 10mm though. Hopefully, it's 'quieter' lol. Are there real world silencers that actually silence a gun shot? I thought they just muffled the sound and still made a pretty loud noise, not like the movie or TV 'pffts' you hear.

Depends on the caliber. 10mm not really. 22lr? There's a decent chance the action is louder than the report.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Doctor Idle posted:

There are four components to sound from a gunshot. Roughly in order you have the sound of the trigger pull and the hammer/firing pin dropping and making contact with the primer of the bullet first. Next up is the report caused by the gunpowder burning off and those gasses escaping out of the barrel, this is the most 'gunshot-y' sound in the process. Next up is the bullet's sonic boom if it's a supersonic round (most rifle and large pistol rounds are unless you're making special light loads that use less powder and have less speed). Lastly is the sound of the bolt racking in the next round if it's a semi or fully automatic gun (revolvers and bolt actions won't do this). A silencer/surpressor only works on the report and can potentially slow a round to below supersonic speeds if you've got the right kind of bullet loads. Even something like a silenced bolt action still makes a not insignificant amount of noise, but it's not something that would immediately be identified as a gunshot.

To give you an idea of a gun before and after a silencer, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvQUhzMHk98

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
There's always the Russian 1895 Nagant revolver, which can mount a suppressor.

The DeLisle Carbine and bolt acttion Welrod Pistol from WWII were supposed to be really quiet, but they're purpose built and rare.
More recently, there's the VSS Vintorez from Russia, which is a full auto sniper rifle with built in suppressor and is basically the cheat gun from Stalker.

:spergin:

Could always use a crossbow. Or a knife :ese:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

RickVoid posted:

Not really responding to this post, but just wanted to get your attention, Doc.

In one of your recent posts in Fallout Tennesse, you've given Jackie's player the option to add a silencer to her revolver. Unless the dealer heavily modified the action and cylinder, sticking a silencer on the end isn't going to do anything to silence the weapon. I know it's Fallout, and "realism" only goes so far with that, but just wanted to make you aware of it.

Modifying ammo capacity on a revolver is difficult as well, because while you can just swap the cylinders for one with a spot for an extra bullet, you very quickly reach a point where you just can't put another spot for a bullet in without making the cylinder bigger, and the spot you're putting it on the frame is fixed size-wise.

Again, being nit-picky but wanted to point it out. Still loving it, keep it up!

The Colt 10mm is a semi-automatic, magazine-fed, slide-action handgun. It should be easily silenced.

Also, a handgun silencer usually gets you a lot further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xd6b7gqOqQ

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 18, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

QuantumNinja posted:

The Colt 10mm is a semi-automatic, magazine-fed, slide-action handgun. It should be easily silenced.

Also, a handgun silencer usually gets you a lot further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xd6b7gqOqQ

Yes but unless I'm mistaken you're never going to get a round like 10mm particularly quiet

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Foo posted:

Yes but unless I'm mistaken you're never going to get a round like 10mm particularly quiet

If you loaded your own ammo, with a heavier bullet and a little less powder, it'd be subsonic, and still hit like a brick. Trying to make it subsonic is kind of losing the point though, 10mm was developed to be more like a magnum revolver cartridge, somewhat similar in role to .357 Magnum, but it could certainly be done. .45 ACP would be a much better choice for suppressing though, as a lot of loadings for it are subsonic to begin with.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beardless posted:

If you loaded your own ammo, with a heavier bullet and a little less powder, it'd be subsonic, and still hit like a brick. Trying to make it subsonic is kind of losing the point though, 10mm was developed to be more like a magnum revolver cartridge, somewhat similar in role to .357 Magnum, but it could certainly be done. .45 ACP would be a much better choice for suppressing though, as a lot of loadings for it are subsonic to begin with.

I knew one of the real tfr tg goons would eventually show up

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
You all know leaps and bounds more about guns than I do haha

Hopefully I won't ruin the immersion by using Hollywood style silencers over real world silencers. Besides Heavy Pete is an expert, if he says that gun is silent, it'll be silent.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that's more important anyway unless gun-spergery is an important plot point in your game :sun:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Now might be the time to point out that the game's setting contains laser weapons, radioactive soda, and nuclear-powered suits of armor. A silenced 10mm is one of the least :psyduck: things in the world.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

QuantumNinja posted:

Now might be the time to point out that the game's setting contains laser weapons, radioactive soda, and nuclear-powered suits of armor. A silenced 10mm is one of the least :psyduck: things in the world.

Well yes in that case you might as well have a suppressor turn a 10mm to an assassin's perfect silent death gun :)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

QuantumNinja posted:

When I'd read the post it sounded like Jackie had brought her Dad's gun in to have it looked at, not the 10mm. Apologies all around if I misread.

Not that I'll complain about sparking gun-chat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Just caught up on the last 200 posts on "The Startup". Holy poo poo that game is amazing and if I won the lottery I would pay children overboard to do nothing but run games for me.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

bunnielab posted:

Just caught up on the last 200 posts on "The Startup". Holy poo poo that game is amazing and if I won the lottery I would pay children overboard to do nothing but run games for me.

Children Overboard is pretty great. He plays a mean scion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Children Overboard's other game, Red Sprawl, seems to be doing pretty well for itself too. The group's recently been hired to kill a corporate executive that (as far as they've been told) is responsible for instigating a wave of hate crimes against metahumans in order to drive up sales of metahuman-tailored personal defense items (armor, guns, etc).

They snuck onto the VP floor of the tower this guy's putting in some late-night time in, hacking drones and dancing through laser tripwires, being all stealthy...now they've just carved through the guy's door with a chainsaw and hucked a grenade inside :allears:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks a lot to all my players in the Eldritch Horror game. Thanks to their collective speed I got through running an FFG game in the space of 3 weeks, which is a pretty pleasant surprise.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The PDGish Godgame has been an excellent read, if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553746. Took me a solid week to work my way through the seven pages posted thus far, if that gives you an idea of the amount of effort the players are putting into the game. Looking forward to more!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I want to say that I've been enjoying reading KJDavid & ilootthecorpse in The Trials and Travails of Acolyte Stephano Doval and am happy whenever I see it has a new update.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rockopolis posted:

I want to say that I've been enjoying reading KJDavid & ilootthecorpse in The Trials and Travails of Acolyte Stephano Doval and am happy whenever I see it has a new update.

I've been enjoying this also. With 2 posters it has pretty good speed.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Ha! Just came here to post this. Seriously, if you are a 40k fan even the littlest bit, give this a read. Lots of grim-dark fun.

MrThingyman
Mar 8, 2014
Hey guys.

I have no idea where else to post this, so please forgive me if this should be posted somewhere else. I'm not even allowed to use the search function apparently :P

This is @ this subforum's mafia players.

I'll try to keep it relatively short and to the point.

I am organizing a "Game of Mafia Champions", which will feature the very best players from a bunch of different mafia communities. A cross-site game.

This is a very huge, very ambitious and very unique project. It's an experiment in seeing what happens when different mafia cultures clash. Also, it's a chance to let the best mafia players on the internet face off against each other.

The first two games of this kind have already been completed (almost 30 different mafia sites participated) and it was a huge success in both instances. I'll gladly link you to the games if you want me to (I'm not sure if it's against the rules, so I won't do it without permission from you guys).

I am now trying to gather players for the third game in the series. And I wanted to ask you if your site would be interested in having a representative or two in this game? :)

Yes, I actually spent 10 $ on an account here just so you guys could get a chance to be represented since my research suggests that it'd be a real shame not to have you guys included :P

I will let you guys decide completely by yourself how you choose this representative, whether it be by public poll or the mods electing the representative or some third thing. The only thing I would ask is that you please only send someone who you deem to be a champion of your site, someone who has enjoyed accolades or is acknowledged as a consensus top player. Please no "troll representative" :)

Extra information about the game:

- The game is scheduled to start March 24. Each game day (including night phase) is planned to be 2 real life days. Saturday and Sunday will always count as one real life day though, so less time intensive over the weekend.

- There will be 25 players and the game should last about 2 weeks.

- As for the setup, it wil be a semi-open setup with potential roles being listed in the OP - without revealing which are actually in the game.

- If your site wants to, you guys are very free to spectate the game. We will also have a spectator chat on Skype set up which anyone not in the game can be invited to. It was very fun for the first two games and attracted people from a bunch of different sites.

Note: It really is important that the chosen person can post every game day and live up to higher activity requirements than they're probably used to. If there isn’t anyone on your site who would be able to manage this fast paced format, then that is obviously understandable :).

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope that you’re as excited about this as I am. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Thingyman

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Come on over to the mafia discussion thread , thingy

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.

Rockopolis posted:

Virigoth posted:

I've been enjoying this also. With 2 posters it has pretty good speed.

RickVoid posted:

Ha! Just came here to post this. Seriously, if you are a 40k fan even the littlest bit, give this a read. Lots of grim-dark fun.

Just saw these! I hope you guys (and anyone else) are still enjoying the ride. I know it's been a lot of fun for me.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
[Rogue Crusade] Espionage in the Imperium has been a wild ride to watch, keep going!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This seems as good a place for an interest check, I havent seen a Dresden Files RPG game around in a while and I'm looking to run one myself in 2-3 weeks. Anyone that might be interested in it? I only have 2 people right now and don't really know if people like it enough to join up with it :)

If there's some interest I'll post a recruitment for it in a bit.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Crap shoulda posted this here and not in main forum:

I have a project I've been working on for a while now and I'm waffling on getting it going so I suppose I'll do an interest check here first. I really dig DND 4E and other tactics games (Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc) and I've always wanted to try my hand at one. I also really like choose your own adventure games like Paradise Lost here on the forums. So - I figured I'd combine them and try something new.

Character Concept
My issue with 4E is you have so many options on each turn that it takes forever, so I've cut it down to a bare minimum of options.
code:
Club	Deals 1d6 Damage	
Sling	Deals 1d4 Damage / base range 5					
Grab	Deals 2 damage and target is grabbed
Pulse	Deals 1 damage and -2 Penalty to hit / base range 5
Every character starts out as a recruit, but you'll hit a point where you choose between 4 classes, each keyed to one of those abilities - the aligned ability gets a slight boost in power or function, but you still get to use all of them.

As your characters progress, each of those abilities can gain different variations depending on class (Club Deals 1d6 Damage + slows target by 2, for instance), but you'll always have the 4 abilities to choose from. The idea is that you'll always know exactly what move you'll be making.

Pictured: 2 of the classes (Reaver and Taker respectively) iterating through the different levels of experience. Each character has 6 levels from Unblooded to Master, each has a different sprite (for male and female, of course) and unlocks different tweaks to your abilities.

Multiplayer
The way I'd want to do it is to have a small group of people (10 or so) be the main players - soldiers in an army advancing into enemy territory. Each person would get 3 characters to create, leading to an army of 30 units (though not all would be fielded at once because that could get unwieldy!). If the player loses all 3 characters, they're out, and someone else can jump in with 3 new guys.

But what about the others, the people in the thread who don't get to play? They can watch and read and do whatever, or they can take part by playing as the Mandagot - powerful spirits that hang around battlefields and bless or curse either side. Their magic comes with a price, however - if they buff someone, they have to debuff one of their allies. But if your tank is about to die, it may be worth pulling HP off your safely entrenched archer and giving it to them. And if one of your soldiers is on their last legs, it may be worth draining their Defense to buff another soldiers Attack...

The World

I'm planning to run it on a strangely familiar-looking (repurposed Zelda/FFT sprites!) grid based world - those who play 4E or tactics games will feel right at home. I plan to do the actual meat of the game in Roll20, but the interaction with the players and whatnot in the thread. Each turn the players will post what each of their characters are planning to do, then I'll simulate the moves of both sides all at once in my next post.

Character Creation

I've done up a pretty thorough Excel file Character Sheet (need to have Office 2007 or higher, I think?) that lets you create three characters. It's all completely automated - the only stuff you'll need to fill in is your Player Name, your Character Name (Which also generates a little backstory for them), your Class (drop down menu) and your XP (400 is the XP cap, so play around with that). Also, the little red arrows are comments, so hover over them to get details.

Items and Weapons are also drop down menus, and they'll cause your attack names to change when you change em'. Neat, eh?

Also at the bottom are emblems - achievements gained through battle that give bonuses.

Start Date
I'm planning to start this in the next month or two (have a few other things I want to set up, but most maps are complete already).

END
So - questions, comments, interest? I've never done a CYOA before, but I'm trying to frontload all the work so it'll just be like putting all the Lego pieces together and then writing the story. I have the combat/character creation system in my head, but quite likely I haven't explained enough of it here for this to make sense, but if you want to know something, just ask!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
tip 1: do not adopt aboriginal words and concepts like manitou for anime spirits

tip 2: just make a thread

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Arivia posted:

tip 1: do not adopt aboriginal words and concepts like manitou for anime spirits

Fine ya stick in the mud!

edit: Also yes the spirits probably need a different name, though in my defence it pops up a lot in French Canadian culture - regardless, still not really a good enough reason to use it!

edit: Swappin' it out for Mandagot which is a different kind of French spirit

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2014

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think it looks pretty cool, bud. Go for it!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Arivia posted:

Yes, the term manitou should only be used for evil spirits in steampunk horror western settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

DocBubonic posted:

Yes, the term manitou should only be used for evil spirits in steampunk horror space western settings.

With a side order of crazy time travel shenanigans and aliens too if you're playing it right. Game concept sounds neat though.