Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Shakenbaker posted:

Just discovered Glorior Belli. Is France just a series of swamps and I just never heard about it?

For the longest time I would have said to go to the BM thread with this, but their new album is loving nutty and fairly southern so I have no idea what to say. The new album is definitely worth a spin or two just to experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Shakenbaker posted:

Just discovered Glorior Belli. Is France just a series of swamps and I just never heard about it?

They come from Paris, so no. I'm really not into their new style though. It just feels so disjointed. I much prefer their earlier straight orthodox records like Manifesting the Raging Beast. I can absolutely rec that, but nothing after.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Houseplant posted:

For the longest time I would have said to go to the BM thread with this, but their new album is loving nutty and fairly southern so I have no idea what to say. The new album is definitely worth a spin or two just to experience it.

What I heard was the newest one, yeah. I'll dig back a bit into their catalog in short order though, even if it's less...southern(?) sounding.

Killsion posted:

They come from Paris, so no. I'm really not into their new style though. It just feels so disjointed. I much prefer their earlier straight orthodox records like Manifesting the Raging Beast. I can absolutely rec that, but nothing after.

I kind of enjoy how it shifts around, myself. I'm not a huge black metal fan, though I can certainly enjoy at least some of it. I solid am from southern US though, and it just amazes me how dead on they can nail that feeling down coming from somewhere entirely different.

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen
http://sandrider.bandcamp.com/track/overwatch

This is some good poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even sober Matt Pike will rock your loving face off.

bonus Kvelertak setting the tone for the night.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Windhand stole the show for me. I don't really like Kvelertak at all though and I've seen High On Fire a bunch. Getting a High On Pryor hoodie was the cherry on top.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I saw that same tour last week. I have no idea why High On Fire keep playing at Venue when they come to Vancouver. The PA in there is clearly set up for club music, since the kick drum was easily the loudest thing in the mix. At least it didn't take them half the set to make Matt's guitar audible like the last time HoF played here. I finally got to hear "Razor Hoof" live, so it was definitely worth it.

I thought Kvelertak were pretty lame. They have nice amps, but their songs are all just mediocre punk rock, and their performance was not very good. They need to practice more, and drop some of the gimmicks.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
^Yeah Venue is poo poo. I was stoked for Razor Hoof and Fireface.

I thought overall Windhand had the best sound, probably because they barely used the sound system at Venue. They just cranked the poo poo out of their Matamps/Sunn/Ampeg gear unmic'd and had vocals/drums mic'd minimally.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I got there just after 7, and Windhand were already done. I won't be seeing another show at Venue.

Anyone have any nominations for album of the year? For me, it's From The Ages by Earthless, with Mario Rubalcaba as MVP.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I finally got around to listening to Windhand's first record. I've been missing out.
I wish they had been on the leg of the High on Fire tour that come through here.
I found out just a bit ago that Windhand's drummer was an old local scene acquaintance back in the day. He played in a rad punk band called Rent America. It's always cool to see people who rocked back in the day still playing and getting recognition now.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

ethan posted:

I thought overall Windhand had the best sound, probably because they barely used the sound system at Venue. They just cranked the poo poo out of their Matamps/Sunn/Ampeg gear unmic'd and had vocals/drums mic'd minimally.
I've offered this advice to many a small venue sound guy and usually get scoffed at. If you have players that know how to blend well, this strategy seems to work out well with minimal use of the PA.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone have any nominations for album of the year?

I'm a big fan of Windhand, but I didn't see Age of Taurus' Desperate Souls of Tortured Times get mentioned nearly enough within the doom metal circles this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZm5g_jmj0k

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone have any nominations for album of the year? For me, it's From The Ages by Earthless, with Mario Rubalcaba as MVP.

SubRosa's More Constant Than the Gods for me. It's bleak, heavy, but beautifully melodic. I was a fan of their last album (which itself was an improvement on their previous records) but this one feels more cohesively a whole.

A close second would be Inter Arma's Sky Burial.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Shab posted:

SubRosa's More Constant Than the Gods for me. It's bleak, heavy, but beautifully melodic. I was a fan of their last album (which itself was an improvement on their previous records) but this one feels more cohesively a whole.

A close second would be Inter Arma's Sky Burial.

In terms of doom albums, the Subrosa album and the immense Seidr album blew me away. http://bindrunerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/ginnungagap

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The Body's new album blew me away. It's misanthropic in ways other metal bands will never be.

Also, Windhand and SubRosa's new albums are really good.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Juaguocio posted:

Gonna go with Ladybird's Spliff & Wesson, because a.) I really expect that people will associate it with Dopesmoker in the future, and b.) all my other picks for this year are just reissues of stuff that initially had tiny runs (otherwise, Bell Witch's Longing would run away with it).

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Juaguocio posted:

For me it's probably between Church of Misery and Windhand.

CoM always hits the part of my brain that just really wants to hear some dirty blues that makes me want to drive fast and murder people. I've tossed Brother Bishop at people who aren't into that side of metal usually and it always gets a look of "oh poo poo," so I figure that's worth something in and of itself. I don't think this album surprised anyone or reinvented anything, but they can drat sure write riffs.

Soma's a totally different thing though; it slows me down. It's something I try not to listen to while I'm at work because otherwise I can't get a damned thing done. The tempo sinks into my bones and that's all she wrote. So I listen to it while driving home or whenever I start to get frustrated with something. Basically it's chill out much for me, in the best possible sense.

I also really enjoyed Pelagial by The Ocean, but I'm not sure they belong in this thread. It isn't quite up there with Precambrian for me, but I much prefer it to Heliocentric/Anthropocentric.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Body's new album blew me away. It's misanthropic in ways other metal bands will never be.

Check out the new Rorcal and Primitive Man albums as well.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It's a really tough call for me, but Windhand was definitely the best new thing. I had mega-high expectations for Wormed's newest album, too, and it was not at all disappointing. Jucifer's album hits a place for me that's similar to BORIS's Amplifier Worship. Everytime Russian Circles comes onto my shuffle with the new album I get excited.

Rounding out the rest of the ones that are good enough for me to recall off the top of my head: Domovoyd, Agrimonia, Ruins of Beverast, Occultist, Inter Arma, The Body, Arabrot, Loss of Self, and I listened to the hell out of out the new Deafheaven.

I'm still listening to the new Ingested and Mutoid Man that just came out, and I think the Lumbar album is neat.

And Thou did this on a great EP with Kowloon Walled City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPFem5Wix4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWDEQbfEZLs
(that's the extent of it)

What a god drat great year it's been for music.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

As much as I like Soma, Christ Redeemers was the best album to come out.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Are you all serious about this album by The Body? It sounds like it was recorded in a tool shed, and the vocals are some of the worst I've ever heard outside of a grindcore show.

The new Mammatus, "Heady Mental," might just be a contender. It's the weirdest album I've heard this year, and the range of influences that have gone into it are so diverse that I'm not even going to attempt a classification. It's definitely more "metal" and "prog" than their previous releases, and even edges into "electronic" territory. It's still very much the Mammatus sound, though, with pounding drums and bass, effected vocals and unbelievable harmonized, multitracked guitar solos. The last track reaches Ravi Shankar/Eddie Van Halen/John McLaughlin levels of mammoth shreddiosity.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Juaguocio posted:

Are you all serious about this album by The Body? It sounds like it was recorded in a tool shed, and the vocals are some of the worst I've ever heard outside of a grindcore show.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally I do not get all the praise that Redfang usually gets.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

You just described two great things about that album.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Juaguocio posted:

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

On another note, the new (and final) Cathedral album's surprisingly heavy. They picked a hell of a way to go out.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

Juaguocio posted:

The new Mammatus, "Heady Mental," might just be a contender. It's the weirdest album I've heard this year, and the range of influences that have gone into it are so diverse that I'm not even going to attempt a classification. It's definitely more "metal" and "prog" than their previous releases, and even edges into "electronic" territory. It's still very much the Mammatus sound, though, with pounding drums and bass, effected vocals and unbelievable harmonized, multitracked guitar solos. The last track reaches Ravi Shankar/Eddie Van Halen/John McLaughlin levels of mammoth shreddiosity.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Mammatus was even still active, much less that they had a new album. Definitely going to check that out, The Coast Explodes is one of my all time psych/doom favourites.

As for tops of 2013, I'll throw in another nod for Windhand. I also really dug Oh Sensibility from Domovoyd and Bunch of Bisons from Stonehenge (both of which I found in this thread), plus the Conan/Bongripper split.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm listening to this and it's surprisingly cool. Like Oceanic-era Isis mixed with Esoteric

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Juaguocio posted:

Mammatus has a singer? Wasn't Coast Explodes entirely instrumental?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

nope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gs6VubifU
Didn't know they had a new album. Will have to check it out.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Mammatus have gone through some periods of inactivity. "Heady Mental" was apparently recorded a few years ago.

The more I listen to it, the more I think it's one of the best releases from this year. The guitarmonies give me a serious Flower Travellin' Band vibe.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Juaguocio posted:

The Body have some of the most wretched vocals in music there are. Even better is when they play live sometimes they don't even use a mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2395BbNTLs

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
End of the year already, eh?

I haven't posted here in forever but I'm still reading it and trying to keep up on everything. I don't think anything that tops my list aren't things that haven't been mentioned here recently - Earthless, Windhand, The Body, Inter Arma I've really enjoyed, and Bardo Pond's new album is super good too. I somehow only found out about the new Earthless LP a couple of weeks ago, but I've had it on very very heavy rotation since, because goddamn. And thanks for the heads up on the remaster of YOB's Catharsis, always good to hear!

Mainly though, I've been preparing for Roadburn 2014 by going through a Spotify playlist somebody has compiled and kept updated with all the music from the bands in the lineup, and have come across lots of gems I'd never heard before. It doesn't fit in this thread since it's more 70s UK prog/folk, but I thought their story was interesting (and Roadburn always has a handful of fringe bands from other genres) - a band called Comus who had two pretty well received albums in 1971 and 1974, and just recently got back together for a new album which came out in 2012. Anyone else got their ticket?

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 24, 2013

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Not sure if they've been mentioned but I really enjoy Tombstones latest album: http://tombstonesoslo.bandcamp.com/releases

saihttam fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 30, 2013

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I posted this in the main metal thread, but it fits better here. One of my albums of the year for sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTW1VsqiNV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSeiGa0vec

It's a collaboration between two bands from St. Louis, The Lion's Daughter (sludge metal) and Indian Blanket (folk).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Optimum Gulps posted:

I posted this in the main metal thread, but it fits better here. One of my albums of the year for sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTW1VsqiNV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSeiGa0vec

It's a collaboration between two bands from St. Louis, The Lion's Daughter (sludge metal) and Indian Blanket (folk).

Holy gently caress, I need this record yesterday. I am totally going downtown this week to see if it's at Waterloo.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, thanks for posting that; I can't remember the last time I went from youtube to purchase so quickly. Digital download option seems to be here; I guess they didn't want to use bandcamp for a split, maybe. Now I'm wondering if that's a common thing.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Huh. Didn't know Kvelertak was playing support over the sea. It's good for another Norwegian band to play other venues than the Scandinavian / European. After all, that is our biggest export etc.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Speaking of albums from 2013, I just came across Erlen Meyer. They're a French band whose S/T debut is some pretty awesome blackened sludge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFLk9TmwZ4
Album here: https://shelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/erlen-meyer

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I want to buy and send Matt Pike a really nice button up shirt.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Stravinsky posted:

I want to buy and send Matt Pike a really nice button up shirt.

he could trade maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
That Lion's Daughter/Indian Blanket thing is amazing, thanks for posting it. Vinyl of it was $12 and comes with a digital download thing too!

I don't know the date of it, but some of my friends run a venue in Danbury CT called the Heirloom and their newish booking guy got Intronaut and Scale the Summit together for a show. I think at least one of you is southwest CT, so you should check it out whenever it happens.