Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

I've used PFsense plenty of times in the past and while it's great, it's not Linux and I'll eventually tire of not being able to just ssh in and run xxxx.

It's a tradeoff between "I can't just SSH in and run xxxx" in 2013, when $250 ARM laptops have hardware virtualization, and "I have to spend 2 weeks setting up everything the developers of these firewall distros do, and it's going to break terribly at some point and cost me more time".

You have a million other boxes where you can "just SSH in and run xxxx". The entire point of a firewall distro is that you don't need to do that. And if you do, PFsense comes with 99% of utilities you could reasonably want anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

evol262 posted:

It's a tradeoff between "I can't just SSH in and run xxxx" in 2013, when $250 ARM laptops have hardware virtualization, and "I have to spend 2 weeks setting up everything the developers of these firewall distros do, and it's going to break terribly at some point and cost me more time".

You have a million other boxes where you can "just SSH in and run xxxx". The entire point of a firewall distro is that you don't need to do that. And if you do, PFsense comes with 99% of utilities you could reasonably want anyway.

Agreed. Install pfSense, and accept the fact that you don't need to SSH into your router.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SSH was a bad example - a better example would be trying out some new program to plot graphs of traffic or put a web interface on statistic that I'm trying to play with

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I just had my first instance of anything resembling plug-n-play with home networking. And I had it with powerline 500mbps adapters. Going on a month now, perfect connection, perfect reliability. This house's wires are ancient, there are multiple circuit boards in the house, and both adapters share a plug with a laser printer. What in the hell. I demand endless configuration, hours of trial and error, and hourly dropped connections without explanation.

Going on Amazon reviews, pretty much everyone has this experience with powerline. Fancy that.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

SSH was a bad example - a better example would be trying out some new program to plot graphs of traffic or put a web interface on statistic that I'm trying to play with

Any good router distro will support all of these things either out of the box or through some sort of plugin manager. If you really want to "do it yourself" then just pick any Linux distro and go hog wild.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

This is easy to do with SNMP and whatever plotting library you want. I like highcharts. Sinatra for tweaking stuff.

But Zabbix already does this. And every decent router distro has cacti or something. You'd be better off playing with this in a VM, but commented, syslogged iptables packets would be easy to graph if you want to.

eames
May 9, 2009

titaniumone posted:

Agreed. Install pfSense, and accept the fact that you don't need to SSH into your router.

... and if you need something to play with you can always add a cheap (in cost and power-usage) raspberryPi to the network and install <your favourite distro> on it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Wait, why can't you ssh into pfsense?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ninja Rope posted:

Wait, why can't you ssh into pfsense?

You can, but it's not really FreeBSD, and you can't SSH into it in the same sense that you could SSH into a Debian box and grab whatever you want, unless ports/pkgs are suddenly working on PFsense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Now that my ISP has enabled IPv6 nationally, I'm wondering how DNS requests with hosts that have both A and AAAA records are handled. Is this the job of the IP stack in the operating system to make sure it defaults to AAAA addresses? Or is that job pushed to the DNS resolver on the router?

Also, I can disable Teredo and ISATAP now, so that it doesn't clog up the output of ipconfig.exe, right?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 11, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now that my ISP has enabled IPv6 nationally, I'm wondering how DNS requests with hosts that have both A and AAAA records are handled. Is this the job of the IP stack in the operating system to make sure it defaults to AAAA addresses? Or is that job pushed to the DNS resolver on the router?

Also, I can disable Teredo and ISATAP now, so that it doesn't clog up the output of ipconfig.exe, right?

The IP stack (getaddrinfo or GetAddrInfo on Windows specifically) handles this.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

evol262 posted:

You can, but it's not really FreeBSD, and you can't SSH into it in the same sense that you could SSH into a Debian box and grab whatever you want, unless ports/pkgs are suddenly working on PFsense.

It has a packaging system, but there aren't many packages for it (mostly for things like Squid). The point of pfSense, though, is that it's an appliance rather than a general purpose system. Install it, configure it, and update it once in a while, but otherwise just forget it exists.

Edit: And for the person asking about rolling your own: I've done it and it's not worth it. At all.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kreeblah posted:

It has a packaging system, but there aren't many packages for it (mostly for things like Squid).
I meant pkg_add and pkgng (the usual FBSD tools) in particular, but point taken.

MC Cakes
Dec 30, 2008
Lets say you have Client, Proxy, and Host. If the connection from Client to proxy is plain http, but Proxy forwards to Host via https, then the password information will still be encrypted before it crosses the client network, right?

The client and Host still do an ssl handshake, and the plain http is transparent to the user, right?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
If you're not planning on moving stuff to AC any time soon, is the N66U still the best overall option?

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 13, 2013

Cuhullin
Feb 12, 2012
My network has been working great for several months, but today I noticed my two powerline adapters (both ZyXel 500 mbps, Pla4221) aren't communicating. I have one upstairs with modem ,wifi router #1, and desktop and the second downstairs linked to a switch to xbox, wifi #2 and HTPC. Brought the second upstairs and plugged it into a socket in the same room but still nothing. Any idea what happened? Only new additions to grid are a mini-fridge added upstairs (2+ weeks ago with no issues) and holiday lights etc downstairs (maybe a week ago still with no issues until today). Everything else upstairs works per usual.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

MC Cakes posted:

Lets say you have Client, Proxy, and Host. If the connection from Client to proxy is plain http, but Proxy forwards to Host via https, then the password information will still be encrypted before it crosses the client network, right?

The client and Host still do an ssl handshake, and the plain http is transparent to the user, right?

I don't really understand the question here but I think the answer is probably no.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there any way of doing wireless HDMI streaming without latency issues? Planning on getting a gaming PC and having it live beside the TV in the sitting room but I want the option of streaming to a monitor elsewhere (to hide my shame :sigh: ). I could always just get a 30m HDMI cable though that's hardly ideal.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Probably not without significant latency, which would make the wireless display unsuitable for gaming. If you'll primarily play games in the other room, and mostly want to watch video on your TV, you could get something like this for the TV side of things.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
HDMI over Cat5e makes for a less impactful cable run. You'll need two runs but they'd be easier to hide and cost less. I do that for about a 15m shot to my TV.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I might have solved the problem. Nvidia's SHIELD can stream through wireless at 1080p 60FPS and has HDMI output. If I buy one of these I should be able to stream lag free from the PC in the living room and then plug it in via HDMI in to the monitor. I'd set the SHIELD to the side then just play with a regular wireless mouse and keyboard hooked up to the PC.

That should do it? Anyone have any experience with the SHIELD?

Video here demonstrating it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cls-XXfNmLM

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I have a pair of questions I'm hoping this thread might help me answer. The situation as it stands is that I want to play some Battlefield on my PC, but apparently if my roommates ever try to stream anything to whatever device, it absolutely destroys my network performance - pings go all to hell, and the game complains about lots of outgoing packet loss. I'm on a wireless connection right now which I don't care for, but it's not my house so running CAT-5 isn't really an option. Bizarrely enough each room in the house has an ethernet jack in it, but the wires in the basement are all unlabelled and unterminated, so I have no idea how to figure out which bundle I'd need to connect.

Right now our entire network is running off of a combo modem/wireless router (a VSG1432), which I gather is hardly ideal. I actually have another (maybe kinda crappy?) LinkSys wireless router lying around; I had the bright idea that I might be able to hook that into the modem, and then operate my own personal wireless network on a different frequency, which would hopefully work out better for me. However, if I plug the LinkSys router into my VSG1432's WAN port, there's some part of the configuration that doesn't seem to take. It never get's assigned an IP address (should it get one?), and nothing else connected through that LinkSys router can reach the internet either. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Then, if the above doesn't work out for some reason, what's the opinion on Powerline networking? A friend of mine who works in large scale corporate IT actually says it works pretty well, I'm basically just looking for a second opinion. Also, I understand they have to be plugged directly into the wall outlets so there's nothing to interfere with the signal; anyone know if the models with pass-through power plugs work alright?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone with native IPv6 has issues with some Youtube videos being unavailable for no good reason?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

PittTheElder posted:

I have a pair of questions I'm hoping this thread might help me answer. The situation as it stands is that I want to play some Battlefield on my PC, but apparently if my roommates ever try to stream anything to whatever device, it absolutely destroys my network performance - pings go all to hell, and the game complains about lots of outgoing packet loss. I'm on a wireless connection right now which I don't care for, but it's not my house so running CAT-5 isn't really an option. Bizarrely enough each room in the house has an ethernet jack in it, but the wires in the basement are all unlabelled and unterminated, so I have no idea how to figure out which bundle I'd need to connect.

Right now our entire network is running off of a combo modem/wireless router (a VSG1432), which I gather is hardly ideal. I actually have another (maybe kinda crappy?) LinkSys wireless router lying around; I had the bright idea that I might be able to hook that into the modem, and then operate my own personal wireless network on a different frequency, which would hopefully work out better for me. However, if I plug the LinkSys router into my VSG1432's WAN port, there's some part of the configuration that doesn't seem to take. It never get's assigned an IP address (should it get one?), and nothing else connected through that LinkSys router can reach the internet either. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Then, if the above doesn't work out for some reason, what's the opinion on Powerline networking? A friend of mine who works in large scale corporate IT actually says it works pretty well, I'm basically just looking for a second opinion. Also, I understand they have to be plugged directly into the wall outlets so there's nothing to interfere with the signal; anyone know if the models with pass-through power plugs work alright?

You can crimp the cat5 easily.

What you'd really need is to put that combo device in passthrough mode. But you shouldn't be having this problem in the first place unless Battlefield sends a ridiculous amount of outgoing data or something is badly misconfigured. It's probably not WiFi. Running your own private network would do nothing to fix it. Good odds it's somebody running uncapped upload Bittorrent unless you have 768k DSL from 2001.

Download takes (broadly) 1/8th the same bandwidth as ACKs in upload. Get your corporate IT friend to come look at a packet stream. Something else is wrong.

Open two console windows.
In one, ping the router.
In another, ping an outside address (4.2.2.2 is generally fine).
Watch. If it's a WiFi problem, you'll get packet loss on both. If not, you'll only see packet loss on the external address. Then log into the router and look at traffic graphs. Find out how much outgoing bandwidth is used and which IP address is the culprit. Then find out what has that IP address and what it's doing.

Put the modem in passthrough. Plug the Linksys in.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I've got an Asus RT-N10Plus vB1 running DD-WRT. It seems to be broadcasting 802.11d improperly. It's sending a DE/Germany country code, and I'm in the US.

it appears I can set it with the WL command, but I'm not familiar with this level of router configuration.

Found this example.
nvram set wl_reg_mode=on
nvram set wl_country=Sweden
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=on
nvram set wl0_country_code=SE
nvram set wl0_country=Sweden
nvram commit
wl down
wl regulatory 1
wl country Sweden
wl up

Any advise? I wouldn't care except OSX will act up if routers have different country codes nearby.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

evol262 posted:

You can crimp the cat5 easily.

Probably true, but I have no idea what room the bundles all correspond to, I don't have the tools or the parts, the last time I did that was in ninth grade, and I'm pretty lazy. :v:

quote:

What you'd really need is to put that combo device in passthrough mode. But you shouldn't be having this problem in the first place unless Battlefield sends a ridiculous amount of outgoing data or something is badly misconfigured. It's probably not WiFi. Running your own private network would do nothing to fix it. Good odds it's somebody running uncapped upload Bittorrent unless you have 768k DSL from 2001.

Download takes (broadly) 1/8th the same bandwidth as ACKs in upload. Get your corporate IT friend to come look at a packet stream. Something else is wrong.

Open two console windows.
In one, ping the router.
In another, ping an outside address (4.2.2.2 is generally fine).
Watch. If it's a WiFi problem, you'll get packet loss on both. If not, you'll only see packet loss on the external address. Then log into the router and look at traffic graphs. Find out how much outgoing bandwidth is used and which IP address is the culprit. Then find out what has that IP address and what it's doing.

Put the modem in passthrough. Plug the Linksys in.

Fair enough, thanks. I think the packet loss might indeed be just Battlefield's in game network test thing being out to lunch; I guess it's a thing lots of people are seeing. So probably better to pretend I never said that.

And indeed, it seems like a lot of my problems aren't actually local. I've got the two ping streams going1 and while the ping between me and my router is jittery in a way that is worrying - usually <5ms, but sometimes ~200ms - my ping to 4.2.2.2 is just loving nuts, as seen in my new favorite image name, pings.png2:

This is while my roommate is running Netflix, and for I know probably blasting torrents all over the place; I only just showed him how to do that, so I don't imagine he's looked at upload rates. So, any advice short of harassing my roommate all the damned time?

1Is there a more in depth way to be doing this than ping <IP> -t?
2The only thing better would be PGNCS.png.

e: I should probably add, my connection shouldn't be terrible either. I'm in a pretty normal suburb of a city of >1M people; I think we're on like the lovely default package, but that really shouldn't be so bad. Also Canadian, so probably worse than the equivalent American package, but probably not much worse.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 16, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PittTheElder posted:

Probably true, but I have no idea what room the bundles all correspond to, I don't have the tools or the parts, the last time I did that was in ninth grade, and I'm pretty lazy. :v:

Fair enough, thanks. I think the packet loss might indeed be just Battlefield's in game network test thing being out to lunch; I guess it's a thing lots of people are seeing. So probably better to pretend I never said that.

And indeed, it seems like a lot of my problems aren't actually local. I've got the two ping streams going1 and while the ping between me and my router is jittery in a way that is worrying - usually <5ms, but sometimes ~200ms - my ping to 4.2.2.2 is just loving nuts, as seen in my new favorite image name, pings.png2:

This is while my roommate is running Netflix, and for I know probably blasting torrents all over the place; I only just showed him how to do that, so I don't imagine he's looked at upload rates. So, any advice short of harassing my roommate all the damned time?

1Is there a more in depth way to be doing this than ping <IP> -t?
2The only thing better would be PGNCS.png.

e: I should probably add, my connection shouldn't be terrible either. I'm in a pretty normal suburb of a city of >1M people; I think we're on like the lovely default package, but that really shouldn't be so bad. Also Canadian, so probably worse than the equivalent American package, but probably not much worse.

Instead of harassing him all of the time, just get him to set an upload rate that's reasonable on anything that might be going unrestricted and capping out your bandwidth. If that's not an option for some reason, see if your router has quality of service available (always called QoS), which is an automated way to restrict bandwidth to different services/ports/computers so that there's always bandwidth available (your internet shouldn't poo poo itself if a torrent is going for example).

For more diagnostic tools you could try trace route (tracert) to see what all of the hops between you and a destination are, and then see if any of them are particularly worse than the ones before them (indicating a router problem somewhere between you and where you're going). In general it seems like your issues are probably local, however.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well it seems my awful ISP has decided to replace the default router interface with their own GUI, which helpfully doesn't include any of the QoS options present in the manual for the actual device. Wondrous.

I can just talk to my roommate, but it would have been nice to learn something. Also, it it possible this could just be caused by something else in the house downloading? I have a hunch that the only thing I need to do to start seeing my pings jump around is to fire up Netflix on any device, and I can't see a reason why that would be uploading much of anything.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 16, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PittTheElder posted:

Well it seems my awful ISP has decided to replace the default router interface with their own GUI, which helpfully doesn't include any of the QoS options present in the manual for the actual device. Wondrous.

I can just talk to my roommate, but it would have been nice to learn something. Also, it it possible this could just be caused by something else in the house downloading? I have a hunch that the only thing I need to do to start seeing my pings jump around is to fire up Netflix on any device, and I can't see a reason why that would be uploading much of anything.

Can you just buy some Pentium 4 on Craigslist and stick a PFsense box or m0n0wall in there?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

PittTheElder posted:

Due to the nature of TCP, it's unlikely in the extreme that any download at all will result in packet loss, streaming included. It's almost certainly uncapped torrents.

a Wheel of Cheese.
Aug 31, 2011
I'm about to start pulling my hair out :smith:

Someone please help. I turned my cable modem/router a while ago, and the computer that's networked from it into the lounge room is now not
getting internet access now. basically my computer is in my room with the cable router modem next to it. And I have cat cable running through the roof into the lounge to the other computer. My internet here is working, but only the network is working on the lounge computer.

The lounge comp sometimes shows as "connected" and sometimes "disconnected" and both times I can't get https://www.google.com to work.
Tried troubleshooting it does nothing.
Anyone have any clues :[?
I tried d/cing.. restarting, even reinstalling network drivers and running some command in cmd.

ta

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

a Wheel of Cheese. posted:

I'm about to start pulling my hair out :smith:

Someone please help. I turned my cable modem/router a while ago, and the computer that's networked from it into the lounge room is now not
getting internet access now. basically my computer is in my room with the cable router modem next to it. And I have cat cable running through the roof into the lounge to the other computer. My internet here is working, but only the network is working on the lounge computer.

The lounge comp sometimes shows as "connected" and sometimes "disconnected" and both times I can't get https://www.google.com to work.
Tried troubleshooting it does nothing.
Anyone have any clues :[?
I tried d/cing.. restarting, even reinstalling network drivers and running some command in cmd.

ta

Sounds like you broke a wire inside the sheathing.

Are you sure the network works on the other computer? At what rate? There's a lot more troubleshooting possible, but start with basics. You get "disconnected" when the cable is literally disconnected or not present; not when it can't reach an external network.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I have a new AirPort Extreme (ac) with an external drive hooked up to it that I'm using for time machine backups and general file sharing on my home network. The USB hard drive seems to be pretty bottlenecked in regards to throughput. I average about 14 MB/s writing to the disk, but I can manage up to 25 MB/s writing to a shared drive in another computer on the network over SMB.

I want to squeeze more throughput out of this thing if I can. Would it be worth my time to experiment with compression on the external drive? Is this even possible with HFS+ partitions, or do I need to look at other filesystems? I'm not really sure what my options are in terms of compatibility with the AEBS.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

smax posted:

I have a new AirPort Extreme (ac) with an external drive hooked up to it that I'm using for time machine backups and general file sharing on my home network. The USB hard drive seems to be pretty bottlenecked in regards to throughput. I average about 14 MB/s writing to the disk, but I can manage up to 25 MB/s writing to a shared drive in another computer on the network over SMB.

I want to squeeze more throughput out of this thing if I can. Would it be worth my time to experiment with compression on the external drive? Is this even possible with HFS+ partitions, or do I need to look at other filesystems? I'm not really sure what my options are in terms of compatibility with the AEBS.

No, compression will likely not work and/or make things slower. What do you think happens when data is compressed, the processor does a lot of calculation on data to make it smaller. If your router is already overloaded, that's just going to make it worse.

I don't think that speed is out of spec for the AE. Most of the USB port file sharing routers seem to bottleneck like that.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

No, compression will likely not work and/or make things slower. What do you think happens when data is compressed, the processor does a lot of calculation on data to make it smaller. If your router is already overloaded, that's just going to make it worse.

I don't think that speed is out of spec for the AE. Most of the USB port file sharing routers seem to bottleneck like that.

Ah, I wasn't sure if the compression would be handled by the computer or the router. I was thinking it might help if the data was compressed before even getting to the router.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

smax posted:

Ah, I wasn't sure if the compression would be handled by the computer or the router. I was thinking it might help if the data was compressed before even getting to the router.

Well it would in that there would be less data to transfer, but it's still only going to transmit at max speed of the link. Plus, a whole whole lot of data these days is already pretty compressed. Any movies, music, books and the like won't benefit much from compression.

I hate to say it, but if you want real speed, you're probably looking at a NAS or some other kind of server.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

Well it would in that there would be less data to transfer, but it's still only going to transmit at max speed of the link. Plus, a whole whole lot of data these days is already pretty compressed. Any movies, music, books and the like won't benefit much from compression.

I hate to say it, but if you want real speed, you're probably looking at a NAS or some other kind of server.

I have been wanting a Mac Mini for a while to run as a server and hook up to the TV. In the meantime the drive on the AEBS will do.

a Wheel of Cheese.
Aug 31, 2011

evol262 posted:

Sounds like you broke a wire inside the sheathing.

Are you sure the network works on the other computer? At what rate? There's a lot more troubleshooting possible, but start with basics. You get "disconnected" when the cable is literally disconnected or not present; not when it can't reach an external network.

ah god I finally figured out what it was.

I have a wifi range extender, and it seemed to have been causing the problem. As soon as I turned it off and reset my modem everything was fine :/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

evol262 posted:

Due to the nature of TCP, it's unlikely in the extreme that any download at all will result in packet loss, streaming included. It's almost certainly uncapped torrents.

Rexxed posted:

Instead of harassing him all of the time, just get him to set an upload rate that's reasonable on anything that might be going unrestricted and capping out your bandwidth.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help here guys, I just saw things performing terribly, and sure enough his client was trying to upload at 80kbps which is basically our connections entire upload bandwidth. The minute I got him to cap it at 40 things seem to be back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
My RT-N16 is now basically needing to be rebooted every day or else throughput drops to below 1Mbps. Is a ubiquiti generally much more reliable?