Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sash! posted:

Serious question: how often do people actually use GPS for getting around? I've personally never needed to. Even long distance or in new places. Study a map beforehand and that's that.

I use Google Maps all the time. Sorry if I don't have time to break out the state atlas every time I have to go somewhere new, gramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

I use Google Maps all the time. Sorry if I don't have time to break out the state atlas every time I have to go somewhere new, gramps.

I look at Google Maps too :confused:

I just don't have the phone sitting there telling me "TURN RIGHT" because I used my memory to do it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sash! posted:

I just don't have the phone sitting there telling me "TURN RIGHT" because I used my memory to do it.

Listen here Farmer Fred there are some complicated city roads ok?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sash! posted:

Serious question: how often do people actually use GPS for getting around? I've personally never needed to. Even long distance or in new places. Study a map beforehand and that's that.

My parents bought a new one last year and I got the old one. It's pretty useful if you're unfamiliar with the area. It comes in really handy when its an older city where It's not laid out in a grid.

For day to day routine driving, I don't even bother taking it out. My mom does though, it's frustrating since she does know how to get to the store, so I have no idea why she still uses it for things like that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

vyst posted:

Listen here Farmer Fred there are some complicated city roads ok?

Try navigating the mess of a freeway nexus downtown Cincinnati has. Even my Gamin has trouble with it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I find that GMaps solution to everything on the East Coast is to take 95. Garmin seems to know when to cut through a sub 95.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sash! posted:

I could take out my saxophone, which I haven't touched in 5 years, and play my high school march of 16 years ago without skipping a beat.

I'm likely to forget half the items on a 5 item grocery list before I get to the store.

Yet, I never have to write down appointments in a calendar.

Memory is a funny thing.

That's besides the point though. If I'm driving somewhere I don't know well in Pittsburgh, I always use GPS since there's a non-trivial chance the way I looked up is closed for construction, blocked by traffic, or actually existed only on a parallel dimension. That way, I can just head out in the general direction of my destination and let the system reroute to the point where I actually get there.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Some people are just better with spacial directions, and GPS has probably saved millions of boring lost hours on vacations alone

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've had enough of the M&Ms meeting Santa.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

bull3964 posted:

I could take out my saxophone, which I haven't touched in 5 years, and play my high school march of 16 years ago without skipping a beat.

I'm likely to forget half the items on a 5 item grocery list before I get to the store.

Yet, I never have to write down appointments in a calendar.

Memory is a funny thing.

That's besides the point though. If I'm driving somewhere I don't know well in Pittsburgh, I always use GPS since there's a non-trivial chance the way I looked up is closed for construction, blocked by traffic, or actually existed only on a parallel dimension. That way, I can just head out in the general direction of my destination and let the system reroute to the point where I actually get there.

I miss living in Pittsburgh. I frequently had to give directions to people that included the phrase "turn up".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

skaboomizzy posted:

I miss living in Pittsburgh. I frequently had to give directions to people that included the phrase "turn up".

My favorite is "You can't get there from here."

I literally spent a half hour one evening trying to figure out how to get on a bridge (before smartphone days.) I drove around it, I drove under it, I was within 15 feet of traffic traveling across it, but I never did figure out how to actually get ON the bridge. I ended up taking an alternate route.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

StormDrain posted:

You monst-yeah, I agree, it's time for a new M&M's Christmas commercial.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

Any series of directions that included phrases like "take the red belt" might as well have just said "pick a random direction because you might as well plan to get lost right now."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

Holy poo poo I hated driving in Pittsburgh when I was there.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

StormDrain posted:

I saw the Campbell's soup ad a few times already, the one with the snowman eating soup and melting to reveal the child underneath; I'm reasonably sure that predates even the M&M commercial.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
You know I think its about time Time-Life stopped doing the "Hey its been a while lets start re-airing the Shirley Temple movie collection commercial again" cycle.

I swear that commercial's been around in various forms throughout my life, VHS, DVD, didn't matter, lots of the same clips and stuff. Its getting old, it was getting old when I was like ten. Then it sort of goes away for a while before rearing its ugly head.

Its especially jarring to see it on a channel or time period where people who would even remotely enjoy that aren't watching TV (As in, Late night on any channel not named 'Lifetime Channel'.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Whenever the commercial for Garnier Fructis with Tina Fey comes on I always get a little sad because she spent a good portion of Bossypants writing about the media's unrealistic standards for and portrayals of women and her own body issues and shilling for cosmetics seems to fly in the face of that.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

RMZXAnarchy posted:

You know I think its about time Time-Life stopped doing the "Hey its been a while lets start re-airing the Shirley Temple movie collection commercial again" cycle.

I swear that commercial's been around in various forms throughout my life, VHS, DVD, didn't matter, lots of the same clips and stuff. Its getting old, it was getting old when I was like ten. Then it sort of goes away for a while before rearing its ugly head.

Its especially jarring to see it on a channel or time period where people who would even remotely enjoy that aren't watching TV (As in, Late night on any channel not named 'Lifetime Channel'.)

I'm trying to put myself in the mentality of a person who orders a Shirley Temple movie collection. I just can't do it. Nursing homes?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea just about everyone who would watch the Shirley Temple collection is going to be dead in the next 10 years. They might as well make hay while the sun shines.

Kind of like the huge push of old radio shows being sold on cassette tapes back in the 80's

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Seems like they resurrect it every time a new video format comes around. But yeah, I have no clue who the gently caress says "You know, I would love to have Shirley Temple's childhood videography available to watch any time I like." I guess maybe it's one of those "Christmas present for an elderly relative you don't really know that well" for someone who bought the originals on VHS back in the 80s/90s?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The Lays commercial with the woman in the nail salon who steals a bunch of Lays when the other woman looks away and then has gross greasy fingernails covered in crumbs baffles me. Why make the results of eating your product look so nasty?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

The Lays commercial with the woman in the nail salon who steals a bunch of Lays when the other woman looks away and then has gross greasy fingernails covered in crumbs baffles me. Why make the results of eating your product look so nasty?

And what kind of beast is she that she crushes the chips through her fingers to make her nails look like that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Warrior posted:

It's the same logic as "finger licking good", i.e. "you'll act like a slob because our stuff is so good".

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RMZXAnarchy posted:

It really weird when these ads appear on Adult Swim during a rerun of American Dad. Who am I kidding, Roger would buy it.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

computer parts posted:

It's the same logic as "finger licking good", i.e. "you'll act like a slob because our stuff is so good".

More like, "I'll never buy it because the company specifically created an association between disgusting slobs and their product"

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

ILL ON PZONES posted:

I'm trying to put myself in the mentality of a person who orders a Shirley Temple movie collection. I just can't do it. Nursing homes?

I've always thought that if I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd buy poo poo like that as gag presents for my friends. "Happy 27th birthday, Dave! I got you Shirley Temple's entire filmography on Blu-ray!"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ILL ON PZONES posted:

More like, "I'll never buy it because the company specifically created an association between disgusting slobs and their product"

Lays is very sorry to have lost your business, ILL ON PZONES

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"One weird trick..."

"discover what _____ doesn't want you to know!"

these phrases have crept from internet ads into radio and TV and holy hell are they dumb.

Also I don't know who Anthony Lowell is but his "I often make more than [huge amount] per day, never risking more than $100!" trading scheme sounds like such a hilarious scam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if its just because its Christmas time or what but man there are a lot of perfume/cologne commercials this year.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I meant to make a post about how stupid perfume commercials are. They obviously can't let you smell it or describe what it smells like so they just show sexy people waving a bottle around or something. Seems kinda pointless to waste ad bucks on it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

Also I don't know who Anthony Lowell is but his "I often make more than [huge amount] per day, never risking more than $100!" trading scheme sounds like such a hilarious scam.

I choose to believe that those get rich quick schemes would actually work, but the people that actually inquire about them are so stupid that they are doomed to fail anyhow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Get rich quick schemes seem to boil down to "come up with 'get rich quick scheme,' sell it to chumps for a lot of money."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know if its just because its Christmas time or what but man there are a lot of perfume/cologne commercials this year.

It happens every year around Thanksgiving/Christmas time, not a recent thing. I can't even tell you how old that one with Elizabeth Taylor is by now.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I really hate the Dior one with Charlize Theron, simply for the song. "It's a funny waaaay to make ends meet, something something on every street," etc. I hate the singer of that song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Uf6DcXyuc

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Get rich quick schemes seem to boil down to "come up with 'get rich quick scheme,' sell it to chumps for a lot of money."

Dr Quarters!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I am sick as hell of the Bose Soundlink Mini commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MvjbFl5oM

Let's count the demographic boxes they tick.

Young guy in studio apartment listens to indy music!

Look, he rides a bike to work! No car for our hero.

He's a creative guy who works in a warehouse converted into an office. Urban reclamation!

He's so creative that he doesn't work a full day and meets his friend for lunch, gracing the public around him to his eclectic music taste.

Finally, what urban hipster day would be complete without spending the evening on a rooftop overlooking the city?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tupping Liberty posted:

I really hate the Dior one with Charlize Theron, simply for the song. "It's a funny waaaay to make ends meet, something something on every street," etc. I hate the singer of that song.

Holy balls that CGI Marilyn Monroe is terrifying. :stonk:

Between this, Orville Redenbacher, and that one ad that had CGI Audrey Hepburn in it: advertisers: stop turning dead celebrities into your computerized meat-puppets. It is extremely creepy.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I really hate the Dior one with Charlize Theron, simply for the song. "It's a funny waaaay to make ends meet, something something on every street," etc. I hate the singer of that song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Uf6DcXyuc

And that's not even the whole ad technically. You know, just in case you also want to see a slightly less creepy reanimated Marlene Dietrich too! :stonklol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXrWiJcmvBI

Personally I think it's a tie between Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly's dead-eyed look at the camera.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwLfhVnALOA

If you think that having Robocop be the unironic figurehead of real-world law-enforcement activity then I don't think you "get" Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I am sick as hell of the Bose Soundlink Mini commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MvjbFl5oM

Let's count the demographic boxes they tick.

Young guy in studio apartment listens to indy music!

Look, he rides a bike to work! No car for our hero.

He's a creative guy who works in a warehouse converted into an office. Urban reclamation!

He's so creative that he doesn't work a full day and meets his friend for lunch, gracing the public around him to his eclectic music taste.

Finally, what urban hipster day would be complete without spending the evening on a rooftop overlooking the city?

Personally I'm a fan of those liquor ads where Puff Daddy continues to desperately convince the world of how goddamned classy he is, this time by hanging out in Vegas with what looks like a bunch of aging mobster stereotypes. Then it ends with them all on a rooftop waving their empty glasses at the sunrise or something. Why are they doing that? Who does that? If I saw people doing that in real life I think I would just laugh at them.