Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

seiken posted:

This kind of failure to be comfortable with the most basic rules of your language is why we end up with poo poo like if (bool_value == true) ....

There's a difference between 'understanding that conditionals take booleans', and 'exploiting the fact that booleans are represented as integers to do arithmetic with them.' The latter is generally dubious, but it's especially dangerous in Python, because the traditional logical operators ('and', 'or') don't only return booleans.

Let's take Suspicious Dish's example in Python: (a and b) * 100. This code is weird, and harder to read than the correct way to do write it (100 if a and b else 0) (warning number one!), but after examination, it looks like it should either return 0 or 1.

Except that's not true at all. Imagine a is True (or 1, or otherwise truthy), and b is 2; then you'll end up with (True and 2) * 100 -> 2 * 100 -> 200. Or, if b is the string "a", you'll end up with "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". Neither of those things are desirable or intuitive! And those are the kinds of outcomes that 'treating booleans as ints' leads to, especially in Python. (Though one could easily run into similar problems in e.g. C.)

Bringing it back to your comparison, here's the key difference: if (bool_value == true) ... is longer code, to no benefit & reduced readability. 100 if a and b else 0 is longer code, to avoid common pitfalls and increase readability.

Please don't play golf with your code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155358-security-vulnerabilities-fixed-by-patch-2-and-character-wipe/

Problem: Hackers used client side game scripts (I think?) to spawn themselves loot.

Solution: Global character wipe.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Factor Mystic posted:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155358-security-vulnerabilities-fixed-by-patch-2-and-character-wipe/

Problem: Hackers used client side game scripts (I think?) to spawn themselves loot.

Solution: Global character wipe.

During a testing period, that's totally reasonable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This game has been out for two years now.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Suspicious Dish posted:

This game has been out for two years now.

Days. Two days. This is for the standalone version that just came out.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sockser posted:

Because I develop internal tools, I get to write whatever the hell I want. A lot of what I do is C# simply because I inherited a lot of C# code. And I've worked to improve a lot of that, which recently went from scrapping one huge project (~45000 lines of code) and rewriting it (down to a nice, maintainable, ~1200 including unit tests) so it's not like I'm not actively engaging myself in writing good code or anything like that, I loving hate the majority of code that gets written here even in our release stuff (I'm one of maybe a dozen people in the company with a CS degree and not an engineering degree if that says anything)

I'm just looking for ways to expose myself to like, I dunno, higher concepts of CS and poo poo? Like that big discussion of strong vs weak typing that came up the last couple pages. My degree didn't cover that and I could almost guarantee I'd never come across that at work but I want to learn more about uh.... something?
If you've successfully replaced a 45,000 line system with 1200(!) unit-tested lines — actually done it, not talked about it and underdelivered — chances are you're already so far ahead in the best practices game that there's not much to tell you.

As for theory stuff, I'd suggest that you find out what textbooks top-rated CS programs are using on your subjects of interest and buy some of them to study.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Days. Two days. This is for the standalone version that just came out.

I thought this was the latest rebrand of WarZ / Infestation: Survivor Stories.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's not. It's the official standalone public alpha of an Arma 2 Zombie survival mod that got bought by the developer of that game.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DayZ+Wikipedia&l=1

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I found this method in a C++ mutex class the other day:

code:
bool IsThreadSafe() const { return true; }

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Is there another mutex class in the codebase that isn't threadsafe?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Suspicious Dish posted:

WarZ is the horrible knockoff that just ripped off the name, it was super terrible.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

PleasingFungus posted:

...endless rambling about python...

Please don't play golf with your code.

I don't see what this has to do with a bunch of code examples that were very obviously not Python. That you had to switch to a different language (which, in this context, behaves completely differently) in order to argue makes it clear you prefer a cargo cult approach over considering code on its merits.

Using bools as 0 and 1 in C is "code golf" my loving arse

vv or c++ or any language where you can treat the result of a comparison as 0 or 1

seiken fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 19, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
ANSI C doesn't have bools :colbert:

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

astr0man posted:

ANSI C doesn't have bools :colbert:

C99 became an ANSI standard more than 13 years ago :colbert:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
C89 supremacy. There's still a ton of places that require C89 compliance due to needing to support legacy systems. So no using bool for me!

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Linus on bool: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/31/138

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Reminder that using _Bool in a wire/disk format is a security hazard.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Objective-C on 64-bit iOS finally defines BOOL as bool instead of signed char, fixing a range of issues.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

pseudorandom name posted:

Reminder that using _Bool in a wire/disk format is a security hazard.

Because 2 is only true depending on how you test, or is there another fun way for it to explode?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Optimizing compilers make assumptions about the possible values of a bool, which aren't necessarily true if the byte came from disk or the network instead of being assigned by C/C++ code.

This means that the compiler could theoretically interpret truth to mean "not 0" in one location and "equal to 1" in another, allowing an attacker to use a value other than zero or one to execute "impossible" code paths.

And since bools can only possibly be true or false (as far as the compiler is concerned), things like "if (x != true && x != false) x = false;" get deleted as dead code and there's no way to sanitize the value of a bool once the untrusted byte has been read into the bool variable.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

seiken posted:

That you had to switch to a different language (which, in this context, behaves completely differently) in order to argue makes it clear you prefer a cargo cult approach over considering code on its merits.

What? Pleasing Fungus's examples are in Python:

pre:
>>> (True and True) * 100
>>> (True and 2) * 100
>>> (True and "a") * 100
'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes, you can do weird-looking things when bool inherits from int. I don't see a problem with this; it's a feature that preserves an old convention of using integers to represent true/false, and if you're intentionally using bool's int features and screw them up then that's on you (just like every other feature in every other language)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Opinion Haver posted:

pre:
>>> (True and 2) * 100
>>> (True and "a") * 100
'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'

eww you made python look like php

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Dren posted:

eww you made python look like php

What? `s * n` repeats s n times, same thing in ruby. In PHP it does actual math:

code:
php > echo ("a" * 100);
The only thing PHP like here is the (True and True) * 100.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Opinion Haver posted:

pre:
>>> (True and 2) * 100
>>> (True and "a") * 100

Yes. Nobody else was talking about python.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

If I encounter true/false being used as ints that's an automatic rejection in code review. I don't care how elegant or whatever it is, it's a terrible idea.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

Optimizing compilers make assumptions about the possible values of a bool, which aren't necessarily true if the byte came from disk or the network instead of being assigned by C/C++ code.

This means that the compiler could theoretically interpret truth to mean "not 0" in one location and "equal to 1" in another, allowing an attacker to use a value other than zero or one to execute "impossible" code paths.

And since bools can only possibly be true or false (as far as the compiler is concerned), things like "if (x != true && x != false) x = false;" get deleted as dead code and there's no way to sanitize the value of a bool once the untrusted byte has been read into the bool variable.

Do you have a link for this

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Don't read/write in-memory layouts. Problem solved.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

So what's Python's excuse for logical operators returning values that aren't 1 or 0 or True or False or whatever?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Lets you do value = value or default.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The API service I'm trying to communicate with is sending me ampersands inside of its xml. And not &, just plain old & by itself. :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

necrotic posted:

What? `s * n` repeats s n times, same thing in ruby. In PHP it does actual math:

code:
php > echo ("a" * 100);
The only thing PHP like here is the (True and True) * 100.

A list of examples of operators behaving in incongruous ways depending on their arguments is php-like.

I find
Python code:
(True and 'a')
returning 'a' to be kind of funky.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

necrotic posted:

IMO making * always an arithmetic operator makes more sense than overloading it in non-numeric contexts. The problem with PHPs behavior here is that it doesn't warn you about performing an arithmetic operation on non-numeric arguments. For all of Perl's ugliness, its behavior seems the best of all in this case: warning you about the bad operand to a multiplication and the resulting goofy coercion (refusing to do the coercion would also be fine), and having a separate operator for string repetition:

code:
use warnings;
use strict;

print "a" * 100 . "\n";

print "b" x 100;
Output:

quote:

Argument "a" isn't numeric in multiplication (*) at t.pl line 4.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

seiken posted:

Yes. Nobody else was talking about python.

The same thing is true in C as well.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Because I put a MessageBox in a catch block of my emailer program, every time an email address doesn't work, the box pops up and wont continue emailing until closed. Now I have to watch this thing for six hours as we send out 24,000 emails.

Crazy Mike fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 20, 2013

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Crazy Mike posted:

Because I put a MessageBox in a catch block of my emailer program, every time an email address doesn't work, the box pops up and wont continue emailing until closed. Now I have to watch this thing for six hours as we send out 240000 emails.

I think an Autohotkey script could take care of that while you prepare the fix

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Testing service runs the release product and then sends reports to a central server where people can view test results.

Except the client doesn't send reports the server; it creates a local share and the server downloads it from a shared directory.

GOOD loving DESIGN DECISIONS.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sockser posted:

Testing service runs the release product and then sends reports to a central server where people can view test results.

Except the client doesn't send reports the server; it creates a local share and the server downloads it from a shared directory.

brought to you by It works™

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sockser posted:

That's not necessarily a bad decision at all. What if the reports are large? Having the server responsible for retrieving the results as needed makes a lot of sense in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crazy Mike posted:

Because I put a MessageBox in a catch block of my emailer program, every time an email address doesn't work, the box pops up and wont continue emailing until closed. Now I have to watch this thing for six hours as we send out 24,000 emails.

Since you wrote it, and you're running it, have you considered fixing it?