Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Red posted:

I've never gotten to see the Round Table stuff from WWE On Demand - did the guys on there seem to keep themselves in check, or did they speak pretty freely?

It's very revisionist, sometimes WWE-revisionist, and sometimes Mike Graham putting himself over revisionist and always Michael Hayes "claiming he invented everything about modern wrestlin" revisionist.

It's still a hoot to watch though. Especially because Lawler is pretty honest about his views on stuff coming out of Memphis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The roundtables are mostly dependent on who's in them. Michael Hayes is terrible because he's self-aggrandizing and monopolizes the conversation to the point of interrupting everyone else, and any time Ric Flair shows up he's just sullen and disengaged. Foley, Okerlund, Ross, and Patterson are consistently good. The best one-off guest is Nick Bockwinkel.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Halloween Jack posted:

The roundtables are mostly dependent on who's in them. Michael Hayes is terrible because he's self-aggrandizing and monopolizes the conversation to the point of interrupting everyone else, and any time Ric Flair shows up he's just sullen and disengaged. Foley, Okerlund, Ross, and Patterson are consistently good. The best one-off guest is Nick Bockwinkel.

Unfortunately Michael Hayes is in a good 80% of the roundtables.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

Did he take the nunchuks with him when he went on to other promotions? Because c'mon, it was the 80s and nunchuks.

I only ever remember Larry using them in the AWA, and even then, I don't think he used them properly (which is a good thing, as using them 'for real' would seriously hurt someone). He'd just sort of bop people with them.

Then again, whenever Eric Bischoff "wrestled", he did his martial arts crap, and he carried 'chuks, so maybe they came up again in WCW. I don't know, though, I turned the channel immediately whenever Eric (post-joining nWo) appeared.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPevh7cres

The nunchucks were such a stupid, stupid, stupid idea. What was wrong with brass knuckles or something .... normal?

Red fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 18, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Red posted:

The nunchucks were such a stupid, stupid, stupid idea. What was wrong with brass knuckles or something .... normal?

Counterpoint.

fake edit: it is weird to see Bull not looking like an alien

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Solomonic posted:

Counterpoint.

fake edit: it is weird to see Bull not looking like an alien

They make a little more sense in an Asian country.

Middle aged, mulleted Larry Zybzsyszkso (gently caress that last name) whipping them around is incredibly stupid.

- Bull Nakano owns, but she needs the hairspray and makeup.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd put Mean Gene in the "awesome" category for a) his hilarious Dick the Bruiser impression, b) constantly making fun of Hayes for not being in the Hall of Fame yet, and c) being gently made fun of by everyone else for his drinking.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Red posted:

At a guess its something he could make into a signature rather than using the same foreign objects as everyone else. Kind of like HHH with his sledghammer that he cant actually swing without either seriously hurting you or gimmicking it in the most obvious hilarious ways so instead he just prods you awkwardly with the head of it (while covering the head with his hand).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

Red posted:

They make a little more sense in an Asian country.

Middle aged, mulleted Larry Zybzsyszkso (gently caress that last name) whipping them around is incredibly stupid.
No, they make less sense in Japan. In America in the 80s, karate was powerful foreign witchcraft.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

SiKboy posted:

At a guess its something he could make into a signature rather than using the same foreign objects as everyone else. Kind of like HHH with his sledghammer that he cant actually swing without either seriously hurting you or gimmicking it in the most obvious hilarious ways so instead he just prods you awkwardly with the head of it (while covering the head with his hand).

You're right, and I know it was the 80s, but it's one of those things that I'm always going to think is ridiculous. Nunchucks would work for say, Steamboat, just not for Larry Z.

I randomly started watching a Roundtable (hoping I'd get one without Hayes, but he's on it - but actually not terrible (yet)), and it's one about 'Heat-Seekers'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSa8V6QzPRA

I knew Lex Luger wasn't well-liked, but ... wow.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Red posted:

You're right, and I know it was the 80s, but it's one of those things that I'm always going to think is ridiculous. Nunchucks would work for say, Steamboat, just not for Larry Z.

I, too, find it ridiculous that a chubby white guy would attempt to get over an asian weapon as his foreign object of choice. No way people would buy th-

Red
Apr 15, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I, too, find it ridiculous that a chubby white guy would attempt to get over an asian weapon as his foreign object of choice. No way people would buy th-

God drat it!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

projecthalaxy posted:

I wish there was a list of all the things Hayes had either claimed or slyly implied to have invented/popularized on Legends Roundtable. I know it includes theme music, tag wrestling, the tag rope, The Undertaker, cheating, and more.

On the Top 25 Rivalries in Wrestling History doc, they had one person talking about each feud exclusively. He was the one to talk about HBK/Taker and if he is to be believed, he was the one to convince both of them to do the second WM match, he was basically the guy who planned the whole match, and after it was done, it was Taker, HBK, and himself sitting silently in the back together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be fair, you can whack somebody with a shinai pretty good. With nunchuks, you can use padded ones (which is obvious), you can use them safely (which looks really lame) or you can hit full-force (which has a good chance of breaking bones).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I guess they edited out the part where Vince McMahon walks by and shakes Hayes' hand, hugs him and thanks him for giving the fans such a fantastic match and then walks off without acknowledging either HBK or UT.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, you can whack somebody with a shinai pretty good. With nunchuks, you can use padded ones (which is obvious), you can use them safely (which looks really lame) or you can hit full-force (which has a good chance of breaking bones).

Actually it's incredibly easy to make "safe" nunchuks; you just use much lighter wood.

I mean, it'll /hurt/ like gently caress, but it won't do any more damage than a chairshot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

fatherdog posted:

Actually it's incredibly easy to make "safe" nunchuks; you just use much lighter wood.

I mean, it'll /hurt/ like gently caress, but it won't do any more damage than a chairshot.

Hurting apparently isn't really an issue, as anyone who has taken a shinai shot will attest to.

Hell, look at Jericho in the 2003 Rumble, when he gets his face exploded by Dreamer.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What was the deal with Hayes's role in '90s WWF anyway? He was brought in as "Dok Hendrix" during the New Generation days, and just did taped house show commercials and the occasional backstage interview. Were they using him as an agent back then?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He also was the Hardys' manager for a brief time during the Attitude Era and did some color commentary.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thauros posted:

He also was the Hardys' manager for a brief time during the Attitude Era and did some color commentary.
He resumed being "Michael Hayes" for the Hardy gig though. I'm wondering what the point of Dok Hendrix was. As a kid he creeped me out and I had no idea he was an old wrestler from somewhere else.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Minidust posted:

He resumed being "Michael Hayes" for the Hardy gig though. I'm wondering what the point of Dok Hendrix was. As a kid he creeped me out and I had no idea he was an old wrestler from somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure he was Dok Hendrix for at least part of that run, because I wasn't watching during the New Generation period and thought it was dumb that Hayes was renamed for no apparent reason.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I haven't bought any non-used WWE DVDs in ages, but give me a full compilation of the WWE Roundtables with the option to cut out all Michael Hayes commentary and WWE can charge me anything they drat well please.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
On the topic of Hayes, the Hardys only started dressing in the jncos and crap once they hooked up with Hayes. Hayes also wore them. And it's as funny as it sounds.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Minidust posted:

He creeped me out because he dressed like one of the Hardy Boyz and middle aged men wearing JNCO's is pretty sad and creepy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

What was the deal with Hayes's role in '90s WWF anyway? He was brought in as "Dok Hendrix" during the New Generation days, and just did taped house show commercials and the occasional backstage interview. Were they using him as an agent back then?

I want to say Dok Hendrix was supposed to be a hip "New Generation" style gimmick for him (on top of WWE wanting to own everything) but I'm not sure why he had the role he did. I am pretty sure it's in one of the recent Observer back issues I should do a search. I remember reading it and thinking "Oh, so that's why he was in that role."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Michael "Purely Sexy" Hayes or what the gently caress ever still would have been better than 99% of the New Generation.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

LordPants posted:

Michael "Purely Sexy" Hayes or what the gently caress ever still would have been better than 99% of the New Generation.

Of course he would, all you have to do is ask him.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Going back to Sheltonchat from a few pages back, I remember when WWE put the brakes on him for good. He got decent visibility in the summer of 2004, leading to Taboo Tuesday of that year. The company very clearly wanted Batista to face Chris Jericho in the IC Title match, having Batista attack Jericho on TV. Benjamin ended up winning the poll and the IC title, and that (meaning the title) was the kiss of death for him as he floundered in crowd killing micro feuds with the likes of Snitsky until nobody cared about him anymore.

The bright side of it was that the next year it led to them being much more overt with which results they wanted, which included Ric Flair yelling "PLEASE!!!!!!!! PUT ME IN THE CAGE!!!!!!!!!!" over and over.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

1) Arm Wrestling Match
2) Verbal Debate
3) Street Fight

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nut Bunnies posted:

Going back to Sheltonchat from a few pages back, I remember when WWE put the brakes on him for good. He got decent visibility in the summer of 2004, leading to Taboo Tuesday of that year. The company very clearly wanted Batista to face Chris Jericho in the IC Title match, having Batista attack Jericho on TV. Benjamin ended up winning the poll and the IC title, and that (meaning the title) was the kiss of death for him as he floundered in crowd killing micro feuds with the likes of Snitsky until nobody cared about him anymore.

Ah, but the silver lining of this match was the genesis of Beeboo Crawshanks.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

I remember quotes from two wrestlers books that I think are applicable to the situation here.

One from Jericho, was that to Vince, it doesn't matter what you did outside the WWE, it doesn't matter what you accomplished or achieved. In his universe, the only thing that matters is what you do there.

The second is from Mick Foley. For someone to get pushed in the WWE, Vince has to become a fan of them.

Both of them express quite clearly that Vince makes himself open to every wrestler under contract. If he has the free time and you need to talk to him, you can. And Vince is very receptive for people having ideas, since it shows a desire to change things.

I bring up these things because Vince didn't hire Bryan and put him on NXT and job him out because "Haha Internet star" and intend to throw him out. Nobody went behind his back to get him a spot and Bryan had to be the super can do kid who eventually won against the evil Dean McMahon with his vendetta against all that is fun and righteousness.

He got jobbed out for exactly what Jericho said. Because it doesn't matter what you've done outside the WWE. And it's funny because I think people would prefer that it be malice because malice makes for a better story. Instead it's utter apathy. I know Batista said "It was a squash match but I pushed for it to not be." but consider the rest of that tweet... And I see nowhere were Jericho said that his match was meant to be a squash.

The point I'm trying to make is not everything is a malicious attack at everything we hold dear by the evil Vince McMahon. Some things are just apathy or business, and rather than think that Vince would pay good money and television time to someone he wanted to kill because he, the multi-millionaire owner who changed the face of pro wrestling for better or worse, apparently had a grudge against him for being popular outside of his bubble. Despite reports from people who had previously been outside of his bubble that frankly, Vince doesn't give a gently caress. We can instead assume that maybe, just maybe, it's just how it goes.

Also, if Vince wants to use a commentator as a mouth piece, why does he always choose the heel ones? the ones the fans aren't supposed to agree with at all?

That's not me questioning him using the commentators as a mouth piece, he does. That's actually a legit question as to why he always hijacks the heel, it doesn't make sense.

This is the same man that did the selfies thing on Raw just to spite Obama and regularly attacks him like he actually pays attention to Wrestling.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

1) Arm Wrestling Match
2) Verbal Debate
3) Street Fight

yeah it's always one obvious choice or three choices that are essentially the same thing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why did bookers keep hiring Abdullah the Butcher? From what I know, he's a lovely wrestler that can't cut promos and is bad in the ring. I can sort of understand booking him now since he's a legend, but how did he get that status? Is it just because he would blade every match?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RBX posted:

This is the same man that did the selfies thing on Raw just to spite Obama and regularly attacks him like he actually pays attention to Wrestling.

Because the president of the united states is exactly the same level as Bryan Danielson? You would have been better bringing up JTG if you could remember he existed.

And even then, in both those cases that's someone, meaning to or not, doing something to piss off McMahon. What did Bryan do? Hell where are the reports that Bryan was brought on to NXT specifically to be buried and kill him dead? We got reports when guys like Ziggler and Punk were in the dog house, there were obvious links. This is just "We like this guy, he got jobbed out, clearly Vince had a vendetta where he paid this guy lots of money to be jobbed out on TV, then brought him back after the whole tie thing, and proceeded to -at this moment- make him one of raws top three faces after Cena and Punk. All because... what? Glorious amazing Bryan was just too good for the man to keep down? this entire things been running behind his back? No no he's just feeding off his merchandise sales or crowd chants? Man he's pissed off that Bryan got over, that's why he's in the position he's in. God drat it Vince McMahon you bastard!

Being poorly booked is sometimes just that, being poorly booked. And I find it hilarious that on the piles upon piles of actual evil poo poo Vince McMahon has done, people still feel the need to create new things for him to have done. Even if logic dictates that it's ridiculous.

If Vince truly, well and truly wanted to bury bryan? we would not see him or Raw or Smackdown, he would be on Superstars to lose in squash matches and then be quietly released.

He lost every match on NXT, I get that, and it was dumb. It was also the storyline, which was dumb. But if the idea was to bury him, he would not have come back once he was fired.

Kaval? NOW KAVAL GOT BURIED.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

Why did bookers keep hiring Abdullah the Butcher? From what I know, he's a lovely wrestler that can't cut promos and is bad in the ring. I can sort of understand booking him now since he's a legend, but how did he get that status? Is it just because he would blade every match?

The answer was "Because he was a draw until he'd burn out a territory", as to why he was a draw it was because he was scary and blade a lot. I mean, there was probably more but damned if I know.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
If I'm ever in Atlanta, is it worth it to check out Abdullah's restaurant? Is it even still around?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Castomira posted:

If I'm ever in Atlanta, is it worth it to check out Abdullah's restaurant? Is it even still around?

Have you been vaccinated?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

1) Arm Wrestling Match
2) Verbal Debate
3) Street Fight

No bench press competition???

Actual question: in territory days, did the wrestler or the booker he was working for pay for transportation? I was looking at a list of NWA title defenses and Flair had a day where he wrestled the afternooon in WV, evening in Ohio, and the next afternoon in Florida. I don't know whether he drove or flew to Florida, but who would have foot the bill?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 19, 2013

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Castomira posted:

It is still around. It's "worth it" in the sense to say you've been there, and there are a ton of autographed wrestler photos to look at and you might be able to see Abdullah (he wasn't there when I went).

On the other hand, it's like 20 minutes from actual Atlanta, in a kinda bad part of town, and the food was bad. No one I went with finished it. None of us had the Chinese food though, but since the banner outside said "c'mon, give our Chinese food a chance!" I'd assume it's not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Minidust posted:

He landed that spot right after he "retired" with a back injury and he returned to wrestling in 99, so I doubt he was a road agent during that time.