Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Masonity posted:

How about int raising minimum damage while strength raises maximum damage?

If a weapon hits for 10-20 damage then hitting harder with it (+5 modifier str) hits for 10-25 while hitting smarter with it (+5 modifier int) hits for 15-20. Both have equal dps but are very different play styles, strength based on harder top end blows while intelligence based on hitting the right places so you have less low end blows.

They want to keep damage ranges low to normalize combat results so I don't see this working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

uaciaut posted:

- fighters don't get damage for str, they get it for int.
- they either try to focus pretty much all stats (jack of all trades master of none) now or sacrifice some at the expense of others becoming "specialized"
- str is devalued now even more and it's still a completely worthless stat for caster-types, probably worthless for rogue-types as well; this especially since it's a party based game and weight is split (note that i am aware that weight becomes a more important stat now because different weapon types counter different armor types, i doubt you'll be forced to have high-str casters or rogues just to be able to carry more poo poo, it would be loving horrible)
- thus caster types (and possible rogue types) get a free dump stat while fighters don't really get one.

Yeah, caster types have no interest in health. There's certainly no ranged combat in this game!

When it comes to weight, the stash means that inventories are likely going to be very, very small. If consumables aren't toothless, there will probably be a lot of value in boosting STR just so you can drag a pile of potions around with you.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

uaciaut posted:

A) No, 2 or 3 points make a small difference, you get a +1 modifier for every 2 points anyway so a 3rd point would make no difference at all actually. And beyond what int i gave my figher char at start of NWN2 i never spend a drat point in it afterwards and i really doubt you'll see a single person who really understand the game that chooses a point of Int at the expense of a point of Str just for better will saves, it doesn't make any loving sense.
This in particular since we're talking about a party based game where members make up for each others' weaknesses, see the buffing part i mentioned before.

He is talking about 4E, NWN 2 is 3.5E.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If he thinks NWN2 is 4E that would explain a lot.

But yes while we're correcting things, 4E Int has nothing to do with Will. Intelligence or Dexterity, whichever is higher, correlate to Reflex. Charisma or Wisdom for Will, Strength or Con for Fortitude.

Dexterity is usually preferable to Intelligence because it determines Initiative as well, but sometimes Dexterity isn't convenient for other reasons like your race of choice buoying Intelligence so you might as well go for the cheaper Reflex gains that way. Or your class uses Intelligence as its primary damage determinant anyway (Swordmage). Or you use one of the various feats that alters the primary determinant of Initiative.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SoggyBobcat posted:

It depends on the equipped weapon. If I have a warhammer, I'm not trying to suss out weak points, I'm trying to hit the guy really hard and concuss him. Still you have a point: perhaps tie armour-piercing using light weapons to perception and heavy weapons to strength.

If you have a warhammer, you don't need to find a weak spot or puncture the armor. A blunt weapon against a plate armor is, like, THE kind of weapon you want. It can blow up the organs of the dude under it and stuff.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Captain Oblivious posted:

If he thinks NWN2 is 4E that would explain a lot.

But yes while we're correcting things, 4E Int has nothing to do with Will. Intelligence or Dexterity, whichever is higher, correlate to Reflex. Charisma or Wisdom for Will, Strength or Con for Fortitude.

Dexterity is usually preferable to Intelligence because it determines Initiative as well, but sometimes Dexterity isn't convenient for other reasons like your race of choice buoying Intelligence so you might as well go for the cheaper Reflex gains that way. Or your class uses Intelligence as its primary damage determinant anyway (Swordmage). Or you use one of the various feats that alters the primary determinant of Initiative.

Ye, that's my bad, thought NWN2 is 4e for some reason; don't really know much about 4e. My apologies friend :)

coffeetable posted:

Yeah, caster types have no interest in health. There's certainly no ranged combat in this game!

There is, but i doubt you'll want to keep your mage in the center of the fray. Beyond getting him one-shotted by the odd fighter-type that gets to him i doubt hp will have more use for a caster. You really shouldn't be forced to heavily invest in HP as a long-range caster though. Because if mages would have to invest a lot in Str for more HP then fighters probably wouldn't be able to afford to invest in anything else.
And again re: weight being forced to go Str because you can't carry the minimum required would be, imo a bad decision.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Furism posted:

If you have a warhammer, you don't need to find a weak spot or puncture the armor. A blunt weapon against a plate armor is, like, THE kind of weapon you want. It can blow up the organs of the dude under it and stuff.

Are you disagreeing with me or...?

The faster/harder you swing the weapon, the more force is being transferred through the armour and into the opponent. That's the justification behind the idea.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
If you have low intelligence you think those giant-headed mauls in fantasty art are warhammers. High int means you know to look for the small-headed ones.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Casters only have no interest in strength if there is nothing in the game that lets a caster benefit from a high strength pool.

Health aside, what if high strength gives you access to traits which let you cast faster while wearing heavier armour? etc.

This is the state system. It has to be viewed in the context of the character system. We do not have the rest - we can assume that josh and his bros will have sat down and actually said "OK, how do we make these stats all have some kind of appeal for most builds without homogenising them".

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

uaciaut posted:

That's fine, i've nothing against specialization in general, but i said that if you look at mages for examples Str has CLEARLY no benefit as a stat for them, it's completely a dump stat for them from the get go,
Low Str wizards are extremely fragile. Even if they have a lopsided pair of Con/Str scores where Con is through the roof and Str is low, their derived Health (from Str) is still very low. They can take more damage before they need to heal Stamina, but the total amount of damage they can take before being maimed/killed (depending on difficulty) is really low.

The NPC wizard character that's in our default testing party has a low Str and it is not uncommon for him to dive perilously close to death in a single combat. I can keep healing his Stamina throughout the fight, but if his Health goes down, it's not coming back up.

I do think that it's an accurate criticism to say that Strength is currently more of a strategic concern than a tactical concern, but I definitely would not dump it on a wizard as-is.

uaciaut posted:

There is, but i doubt you'll want to keep your mage in the center of the fray. Beyond getting him one-shotted by the odd fighter-type that gets to him i doubt hp will have more use for a caster.
Of course, you don't want your wizard in the center of the fray, but that doesn't always work out. And even in IWD we had ranged characters relentlessly target casters.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 19, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

uaciaut posted:

Because if mages would have to invest a lot in Str for more HP then fighters probably wouldn't be able to afford to invest in anything else.
Going by rope kid's stats post, the Fighter has a much higher Deflection stat than the Wizard. They don't take as much health damage in the first place.

quote:

And again re: weight being forced to go Str because you can't carry the minimum required would be, imo a bad decision.
The "minimum required" is whatever fits on your paperdoll. With the stash to chuck stuff in (and assuming quest items get their own inventory, as they invariably do nowadays), carrying anything else at all is a luxury. Actually, it'd be pretty cool if minimizing your strength lead to no inventory.

e: f,b

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

uaciaut posted:

I'm pretty sure the current design is that anything equipped (including your alternate weapons) doesn't count against your personal inventory. Strength is gonna effect your ability to carry around a bandolier of potions, not your ability to perform your basic combat functions.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

SurrealityCheck posted:

Casters only have no interest in strength if there is nothing in the game that lets a caster benefit from a high strength pool.

Casters have the same interest in HP pool as any other non-fighter class - to have it as low as possible so they can survive unexpected situations (AOE or any fighter getting through to them) and that's it. It's not a stat they would look for to define their class or specialization, as you can say about a high-Int warrior that would look to increase his damage via int.
This probably falls more into the discussion of defensive stats vs offensive stats since you generally want just enough defensive stats to be able to survive a fight and you generally don't look for a specific cap on an offensive stat. This is especially true for non-frontline types, which casters are.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Health aside, what if high strength gives you access to traits which let you cast faster while wearing heavier armour? etc.

And maybe you'll need 100 resolve on your fighter to fight the final boss and finish the game! This isn't about how you make up for bad design choices by forcing people to take a stat they don't want to take through feat requirements and other baits, if the only reason you're taking a stat is to get to a certain feat and otherwise the stat is crap then something's not made right.
And of course i'm dealing in the info that's being given and not in "what if"'s.

rope kid posted:

Of course, you don't want your wizard in the center of the fray, but that doesn't always work out. And even in IWD we had ranged characters relentlessly target casters.

This is true but like i said earlier in this post defensive stats are, imo at least, inferior to offensive stats because you always look for a cap with them, especially for non-fighter types. Well inferior isn't the right word here, but you get my point i hope D:

I just envisioned int having a better impact by affecting all combat stats by a smaller ammount instead of simply "taking" the damage affect from Str a better decision, with further feat/skill choices allowing players to further increase int effectiveness on a given combat star or not. That's just me.

Anyway regardless of all my constant bitching and whining i'm p confident in you guys and i'll play the gently caress out of that game anyway, thanks for taking the time (and nerves possibly) to reply to my poo poo mr. rope kid.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 19, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Male Man posted:

I'm pretty sure the current design is that anything equipped (including your alternate weapons) doesn't count against your personal inventory. Strength is gonna effect your ability to carry around a bandolier of potions, not your ability to perform your basic combat functions.

I was wondering if it would effect your ability to carry around a second weapon too. Which could be interesting, if combat is designed in such a way that it rewards switching up.

uaciaut posted:

Casters have the same interest in HP pool as any other non-fighter class - to have it as low as possible so they can survive unexpected situations (AOE or any fighter getting through to them) and that's it. It's not a stat they would look for to define their class or specialization, as you can say about a high-Int warrior that would look to increase his damage via int.
This probably falls more into the discussion of defensive stats vs offensive stats since you generally want just enough defensive stats to be able to survive a fight and you generally don't look for a specific cap on an offensive stat. This is especially true for non-frontline types, which casters are.

Utterly depends on the type of caster. Cyphers are close range, as are paladins. Based on what we know, priests, druids and chanters can be, as could a wizard if you wanted to build them that way. The only pure ranged class, by the sound of it, is the ranger, and even then, you might want some strength to toughen up your companion.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 19, 2013

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Rope kid, how does a high STR/low CON warrior class play like? My initial assumption when I read what the stats do and the health/stamina dynamic is that a character that wants to be in the thick of the fighting would be better off investing in CON over STR, but now I'm not so sure.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Male Man posted:

If you have low intelligence you think those giant-headed mauls in fantasty art are warhammers. High int means you know to look for the small-headed ones.

Haha, yeah this. Warhammers were made with smaller heads so you can pierce armor. But I think PoE will have them as "traditional" with bigger heads because of recognition and pixels or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SoggyBobcat posted:

Rope kid, how does a high STR/low CON warrior class play like? My initial assumption when I read what the stats do and the health/stamina dynamic is that a character that wants to be in the thick of the fighting would be better off investing in CON over STR, but now I'm not so sure.

The way I understand it, Con is your ability to survive the fight you're in, while Strength will govern your ability to survive multiple fights, because as encounters continue Health will drop and not be replenished until you get proper rest, while Stamina gets refreshed frequently. So a low STR warrior would play similarly to a high STR warrior, but would have a smaller golfbag for weapon/potion/special item tactical options in the moment and wouldn't be able to hold up in extended dungeon crawling as well.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 19, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Lotish posted:

So a low STR warrior would play similarly to a high STR warrior, but would have a smaller golfbag for weapon/potion/special item tactical options and wouldn't be able to hold up in extended dungeon crawling as well.

In my mind, it's that a low STR character has to play much more defensively to make sure she doesn't take much damage in the first place. A high STR character meanwhile can go down to 1 stamina every fight and shrug it off.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SoggyBobcat posted:

A high Str/low Con character (in general) needs to be healed more to stay standing in combat but can take more damage in the long run because their terminal limit (Health) is higher. Fighters have passive Stamina regeneration, so their effective long-term Stamina in a fight can be really impressive, especially with a high Con. But if that character also has a low Strength, the regeneration isn't going to do anything for the fact that their Health is going down at a disproportionate rate. Spamming healing on a character who is getting relentlessly pounded only lasts as long as their Health does, because healing only helps Stamina, not Health.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

The way I understand it, Con is your ability to survive the fight you're in, while Strength will govern your ability to survive multiple fights, because as encounters continue Health will drop and not be replenished until you get proper rest, while Stamina gets refreshed frequently. So a low STR warrior would play similarly to a high STR warrior, but would have a smaller golfbag for weapon/potion/special item tactical options in the moment and wouldn't be able to hold up in extended dungeon crawling as well.

And, in theory, a low CON fighter could be propped up by a paladin or priest healing them, whereas a low STR fighter couldn't.

e: Beaten by rope kid.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rope kid posted:

Well, I've seen more than a few people expressing dissatisfaction over fighters being slow-and-steady defender types. If you want to be a melee character who hops around and breaks engagement and ganks someone for a boatload of damage before getting smacked hard and falling down, play a rogue. Rogues in PE aren't "Oi Govna" street urchins who pick pockets as their main profession. They're skirmishers and opportunistic killers (whether soldiers or actual thugs/assassins) in the vein of Bronn.
I've always preferred fast melee classes in these games, like 3e Swashbucklers or 4e Rangers or WoW Fury Warriors

Rogues tend to turn me away due to reliance on stealth. Are Rogues in PoE the fast kind or the slow kind?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jackard posted:

I've always preferred fast melee classes in these games, like 3e Swashbucklers or 4e Rangers or WoW Fury Warriors

Rogues tend to turn me away due to reliance on stealth. Are Rogues in PoE the fast kind or the slow kind?
If you want a fast moving class, barbarians get Wild Sprint (limited use, but very fast) and monks inherently move faster (a li'l) in combat. If you want a fast-attacking character, use weapons classified as Fast, like daggers, stilettos, rapiers, etc.

Rogues do get Escape, which allows them to break Melee Engagement 1/encounter, which is pretty darn useful.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rope kid posted:

Low Str wizards are extremely fragile. Even if they have a lopsided pair of Con/Str scores where Con is through the roof and Str is low, their derived Health (from Str) is still very low. They can take more damage before they need to heal Stamina, but the total amount of damage they can take before being maimed/killed (depending on difficulty) is really low.
See, I think this is where I'm having issues understanding things. Like, I can conceptualize a whole bunch of different ways to build your offence. High intellect low resolve or high agility low intellect or really any combination of whatever; from my lofty perch of Guy On Internet, it's super easy for me to think of all sorts of mashups and say, "Yeah, that sounds cool. That sounds like a good thing and I want to do it."

And then I start thinking about a tank-y character, and it just kinda seems like a false choice. Like, you can pump that con all you want, but without strength, you're kinda... well, you've got a hard cap on how much you can tank determined by your strength stat, so you just pump them in tandem to whatever ratio works for you, and it just reads to me as being limited in a way that nothing else really does.

Or maybe it's just me, I'm the idiot.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 19, 2013

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The way I'm seeing it it looks like the effectiveness of strength is tied to how easy or difficult it is to rest between encounters. Too easy and it becomes a borderline dump stat, too hard and it becomes a priority.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

How are the formations coming along? Will our valiant heroes still go through door rear end first, wizard style, foregoing any semblance of tactics? Are they going to be adjustable, like ToEE?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SoggyBobcat posted:

The way I'm seeing it it looks like the effectiveness of strength is tied to how easy or difficult it is to rest between encounters. Too easy and it becomes a borderline dump stat, too hard and it becomes a priority.

Yeah, or it could just become the effort stat. If resting requires backtracking, it's the backtrack/continue trade-off stat. Putting aside the whole consumables aspect.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Mortal Sword posted:

rope kid posted:

That's genuinely cool, but we didn't Kickstart a game called gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience
I'm in for at least $100 if you ever do Kickstart that.

Platinum level contributors ($10,000 or more) will in fact get the opportunity to suck Josh Sawyer's dick.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So if I read this correctly the sweet spot for a Fighter would be to not have so little Con that the Stamina regen is "wasted" on a full Stamina bar, but not low enough you have to keep healing him? I don't think the combat will be tuned to precisely this is achievable but, as I understand, you don't want to "waste" regen on a full bar.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

uaciaut posted:

This is absolutely true (and one of the many reasons I hate defensive stats in RPGs) and I

quote:

And maybe you'll need 100 resolve on your fighter to fight the final boss and finish the game! This isn't about how you make up for bad design choices by forcing people to take a stat they don't want to take through feat requirements and other baits, if the only reason you're taking a stat is to get to a certain feat and otherwise the stat is crap then something's not made right.
And of course i'm dealing in the info that's being given and not in "what if"'s.

That's not what I meant at all. Sure, you could make things have arbitrary stat requirements - but what I more meant was that stats can be the gateway to other things other than their pure effects, and many of the most interesting effects will probably be unlocked through those!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Disco Infiva posted:

How are the formations coming along? Will our valiant heroes still go through door rear end first, wizard style, foregoing any semblance of tactics? Are they going to be adjustable, like ToEE?
We've done UI work on the formations menu, but it's not finished yet.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
This is like the fighter/rogue thing, but obviously far more aggravating to people. STR/DEX/CON/INT are just forever bound to decades and decades of D&D expectations. Just change the names already, Christ.
:negative:

I don't think anyone would freak out if the mechanics were exactly as they've been described, but the stats were called Brawn, Nimbleness, Resilience, and Cunning instead. I think Cunning is a good replacement for INT as a 'damage' stat, anyway. It's obviously a mental stat, but it clearly has a bit of a combat slant to it: "A cunning blow!", etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

If you want a fast moving class, barbarians get Wild Sprint (limited use, but very fast) and monks inherently move faster (a li'l) in combat. If you want a fast-attacking character, use weapons classified as Fast, like daggers, stilettos, rapiers, etc.

Murderbarian here I come.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

This is like the fighter/rogue thing, but obviously far more aggravating to people. STR/DEX/CON/INT are just forever bound to decades and decades of D&D expectations. Just change the names already, Christ.

I don't think anyone would freak out if the mechanics were exactly as they've been described, but the stats were called Brawn, Nimbleness, Resilience, and Cunning instead. I think Cunning is a good replacement for INT as a 'damage' stat, anyway. It's obviously a mental stat, but it clearly has a bit of a combat slant to it: "A cunning blow!", etc.

Honestly, yeah, the most elegant solution here seems to be just changing the name of the particular stat(s) causing the argument. Nobody seems to be bothered by how they work, all the debate has hinged on the terminology used to describe it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
... I'm mildly irritated by how they work?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Disco Infiva posted:

Would we be able to have an <attack_at_destination> option or anything? I like being able to (in one click without having to wait) tell a dude to walk or run over somewhere and engage an enemy from that future destination.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I'd have problems with all of those. Or to be more precise they aren't that intuitive to me either.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Masonity posted:

How about int raising minimum damage while strength raises maximum damage?

If a weapon hits for 10-20 damage then hitting harder with it (+5 modifier str) hits for 10-25 while hitting smarter with it (+5 modifier int) hits for 15-20. Both have equal dps but are very different play styles, strength based on harder top end blows while intelligence based on hitting the right places so you have less low end blows.

Jesus loving Christ. How about we don't change anything about a system we haven't played yet because we don't like the way a single attribute is named. For fucks sake a naming issue is not cause to change the gameplay of a system none of us have actually played with, and which on paper, and according to the people who have played with it is awesome.

"I don't like the damage stat being called Intelligence" is not cause to overhaul the guts of the entire character system, and certainly not cause to call for the system to be overhauled.

Attributes influencing stuff you wouldn't expect is what happens when you build something that's supposed to work. Abstraction is good, because it stops a system from becoming stupid by trying to make the by-definition abstract stats "make sense". It's a natural consequence of a well designed system.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 19, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Here's a thought for posters that want smashing characters: Have a mechanic for melee attacks (since weapon choice is not really class specific) that let you burn health to do extra damage. You literally fight harder not smarter, because you wear down long term health with muscle strain and injury by hitting like a train.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Mortal Sword posted:

Honestly, yeah, the most elegant solution here seems to be just changing the name of the particular stat(s) causing the argument. Nobody seems to be bothered by how they work, all the debate has hinged on the terminology used to describe it.

Name them in the in game languages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SurrealityCheck posted:

Name them in the in game languages!

I vote that intelligence is called "Úrf". Your Úrf determines how hard you hit and how well you examine and recall facts in conversation/out-of-combat events.

• Locked thread