Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Maybe you should let your roommate pick out a tablet and size that he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I'm trying to help since he has no idea what's what, this isn't paternalism on my part :raise:

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Thinking of getting a Nexus 7 at Office Depot, since the 16GB is $50 off until the 21st. I kind of like the keyboard case idea, but I'm concerned that my ogre hands will be too big for a keyboard that size. Has anybody else used a keyboard case for a 7" tablet?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Didn't see the new thread. How's the TF701? Wish the TF200 dock would work with it. I'll probably wait until the next version of the transformer to upgrade.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Straker posted:

I understand that Android apps just aren't optimized for 10" and generally waste a lot of screen space but does that apply to ipads toowhatever?
No. iOS has lots of apps optimized for 10". Pretty much all of them, in fact.

Straker posted:

i.e. if you aren't old or super fatfingered you should probably get a small tablet or just go right to a laptop or a yoga or whatever?
Lots of people, myself included, prefer a 10" tablet. The iPad air isn't much bigger overall than some 7" tablets due to the small bezel, and it's as light or lighter than some 7"-ers. Personally I love the extra screen real estate.

Let your friend go and look at tablets and decide what he wants.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Christoff posted:

Didn't see the new thread. How's the TF701? Wish the TF200 dock would work with it. I'll probably wait until the next version of the transformer to upgrade.
The TF701 is pretty okay but I think most people considering the Transformer series should consider the Win8.1 tablets, since wanting a keyboard dock often means wanting to multitask, do work, and have access to Office as well. If you want the TF701 for other reasons or if you absolutely want Android I do think waiting is probably not a bad idea, though--the TF701 comes with Tegra 4 which is not a great chip, especially compared to the S800.

waffle fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 13, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I was under the impression all those microsoft tablets weren't received well and Windows 8 was poo poo? I've never used one but they just haven't seemed real popular with the tablet crowd. Too many android fans? I mean I don't need a keyboard at all but it is a nice feature to have around when you need more battery life, etc. I'm in no rush to upgrade so don't mind waiting. I'm sure there will be an update in the not-so-distant future.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Christoff posted:

I was under the impression all those microsoft tablets weren't received well and Windows 8 was poo poo? I've never used one but they just haven't seemed real popular with the tablet crowd. Too many android fans? I mean I don't need a keyboard at all but it is a nice feature to have around when you need more battery life, etc. I'm in no rush to upgrade so don't mind waiting. I'm sure there will be an update in the not-so-distant future.
It's definitely hit-or-miss, and definitely something people should try out for themselves before buying one. That said there are plenty of people (including myself) who like Win8 in a tablet interface, if the tablet is being used for work-related activity.

But, since you say you don't need a keyboard, you just want one, Android (or better, iOS) is going to be better for you than Win8. The TF701 is fine but not great--the new iPads or the iPad 4 are much better, and you can still have a keyboard with a BT keyboard.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Right, ipads are nice. But the prices are absolutely insane for anything with more than 16-32gb so I'm not sure how you can compare with the lack of expandable memory. Age old arguments, I know.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Christoff posted:

Right, ipads are nice. But the prices are absolutely insane for anything with more than 16-32gb so I'm not sure how you can compare with the lack of expandable memory. Age old arguments, I know.

Because most people don't need that much space for how they use their tablets, and the other benefits of the iPads make up for it for them.

Really, it's hard to recommend whether something is going to work for you or not without knowing what you're looking for and what you're going to use it for. Rather than having to figure it out post-by-post, why not just specify? Why are you looking at the TF701, what do you need, what do you want, and what are you going to be using it for?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Christoff posted:

You just have to let people know what you plan to use it for. I like the Windows 8.1 tablets because I like split screen multitasking way too much to give it up. I use it quite often, and it's hard to give up once you're used to it. If you're looking at a tablet primarily for gaming/entertainment, you may want to look at an iPad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Christoff posted:

They're still in the iffy stage of acceptance but they've had two dramatic improvements lately - bay trail processors have brought the price of full x86 Windows 8 tablets that can run any old program down to similar price to Android devices, and Windows 8.1 has solved a lot of the original stupidity of Windows 8.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MikeJF posted:

They're still in the iffy stage of acceptance but they've had two dramatic improvements lately - bay trail processors have brought the price of full x86 Windows 8 tablets that can run any old program down to similar price to Android devices, and Windows 8.1 has solved a lot of the original stupidity of Windows 8.

More important than lowering the price, Bay Trail processors are the first Atom processors that don't suck when it comes to power. They won't blow you away or anything, but they're totally capable of running standard Windows programs without feeling really compromised.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I'm thinking of getting myself an iPad mini, mostly because it's cheaper. My intent is to use it for gaming, mostly, and I already got a bunch of apps on my iPhone 4S.

What I want to know is, how does the iPad mini fare, performance-wise? I'm not looking for absolute bleeding edge performance and graphics, and I'm fine with how my 4S performs for the most part.

Would it be a waste to get an ipad mini if I just want something a bit cheaper, or should I just shell out for the mini with retina display?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well, to put in perspective, the iPad Mini is a shrunken iPad 2, which is pretty old at this point. The Mini Retina uses the same guts as the iPad Air and iPhone 5S. That's a pretty huge difference. Just spend the extra $100.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The new Mini is pretty sweet, for most uses I think I even prefer having a smaller device than the iPad Air. It's smaller and easier to hold and while the Air is pretty drat light I think the smaller form factor makes the Retina Mini a better device to carry around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XavierGenisi posted:

I'm thinking of getting myself an iPad mini, mostly because it's cheaper. My intent is to use it for gaming, mostly, and I already got a bunch of apps on my iPhone 4S.

What I want to know is, how does the iPad mini fare, performance-wise? I'm not looking for absolute bleeding edge performance and graphics, and I'm fine with how my 4S performs for the most part.

Would it be a waste to get an ipad mini if I just want something a bit cheaper, or should I just shell out for the mini with retina display?
For $100 you get a display that is significantly better and a processor that is not over three years old. It'll be worth it just for the longterm support alone.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Recommending tablets (in real life, to people who solicit my advice) is killing me:

:haw: Hey, you know about electronics stuff! I want to get a tablet for my dad, what should I get him? We have to be able to buy it TODAY.
:) : iPad Air
:haw: How much are those?
:) : $500
:haw: That's too much, I'm not getting that
:) : Well, if they don't mind a smaller tablet, you can get a iPad Mini Retina or Nexus 7 - this year's version.
:haw: : Ok, thanks!

:) : So did you guys end up getting him something?
:haw: : We sure did!
:) : Oh, cool!
:haw: : Yeah, it's Insignia Brand, from Best Buy!

:suicide:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking into a Windows tablet for work. Right now it's between the Samsung ATIV 3 and the Dell Venue 11 Pro. From what I read, the Venue 11 Pro may be the better buy.

What I want:

Keyboard accessory
Decent battery life
Fast processor

Any thoughts? Are there any alternatives I should consider? My budget is about $750, which unfortunately excludes the Surface Pro 2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A laptop.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

me your dad posted:

I'm looking into a Windows tablet for work. Right now it's between the Samsung ATIV 3 and the Dell Venue 11 Pro. From what I read, the Venue 11 Pro may be the better buy.

What I want:

Keyboard accessory
Decent battery life
Fast processor

Any thoughts? Are there any alternatives I should consider? My budget is about $750, which unfortunately excludes the Surface Pro 2.

To expand on what Endless Mike said, you may want to look into the Lenovo Yoga. It's a little more than you want to spend but it would probably fit your needs and you wouldn't have to accessorize it out like you would with a tablet.

Best Buy has an exclusive 11" model for $799

i5-4210Y
4 GB of RAM
128 GB SSD

Silver Grey = http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...yoga&cp=1&lp=12
Orange = http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...yoga&cp=1&lp=13

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I had forgotten about the original Yoga as an option. I may go the route of the Lenovo Outlet for a refurbished model.

Edit - looks like they're Windows RT machines on the outlet. So maybe not.

My budget will be pretty dead set at that amount. I actually recently bought a new 15.6" personal laptop strictly for home use but I became eligible for a program through my work which will reimburse me up to about $750 on a device. I'll be facing a pissed off wife of I have to spend any more money on a computer right now so I want the reimbursement to cover it completely.

I could probably see if I could submit the personal laptop for the reimbursement, but I'd like something a little smaller for porting around. That's why I was considering a tablet.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 17, 2013

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Best choice for kids 5 & 7? Leaning towards fire HDX's with otterbox cases for durability. Plus seems like kindle is geared towards kids with prime and freetime.
I like the Nexus 7, but we tried them last year and screens shattered after a few months. Nexus just seem very fragile versus my kindle fire that I have had for 2 years is still chugging along just fine. I want a tablet that can take the bumps and drops of everyday use from kids.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

me your dad posted:

What I want:

Keyboard accessory
Decent battery life
Fast processor

Dell Venue Pro 11's CPU is 2x the speed of the Samsung.

Surface Pro 1 is on clearance for $599, but 3-5 hours of battery life may not be enough for you it sounds.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Csixtyfour posted:

Best choice for kids 5 & 7? Leaning towards fire HDX's with otterbox cases for durability. Plus seems like kindle is geared towards kids with prime and freetime.
I like the Nexus 7, but we tried them last year and screens shattered after a few months. Nexus just seem very fragile versus my kindle fire that I have had for 2 years is still chugging along just fine. I want a tablet that can take the bumps and drops of everyday use from kids.

I would just say the app selection on kindle won't be as good as the Nexus or iPad. Otherwise for the price it could do the trick.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm looking at getting my wife a kindle fire HDX 8.9 inch tablet for Christmas. She's a big consumer of everything Amazon. She has prime and a ton of kindle books. Can someone give me the pros and cons of the tablet? Also I'm looking to spend under $400 so it fits in my price range.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The big negative to it is that it's stuck in Amazon's ecosystem, which is significantly reduced version of the Android ecosystem. Apps tend to not get updated as often and I would imagine Amazon tends to keep out things that would compete with their own stuff. For $20 more you could get a retina iPad Mini and then install the various Amazon apps (Kindle books and Amazon video are there for sure) and have a much better ecosystem.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Endless Mike posted:

The big negative to it is that it's stuck in Amazon's ecosystem, which is significantly reduced version of the Android ecosystem. Apps tend to not get updated as often and I would imagine Amazon tends to keep out things that would compete with their own stuff. For $20 more you could get a retina iPad Mini and then install the various Amazon apps (Kindle books and Amazon video are there for sure) and have a much better ecosystem.

Thanks for this, are there a bunch of options to choose with the iPad mini and what ones should I look out for? Also is the 7.9 inch screen a good size?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

Thanks for this, are there a bunch of options to choose with the iPad mini and what ones should I look out for? Also is the 7.9 inch screen a good size?

You want to get the iPad Mini with Retina the regular $299 iPad Mini is pretty long in the tooth and worth the $100 to upgrade. The one thing you lose with the Kindle apps instead of Kindle hardware is the Kindle Lending Library for Prime customers.

Another option might be a Nexus 7 2013 and an e-ink Kindle (regular or PaperWhite). However, you lose access to the Amazon Instant Video library because that doesn't have an Android application but does have an iOS version.

If 7.9 is a good size really depends. If you are reading a lot of large fixed size documents (PDF, comics, etc) it might be too cramped. I like my iPad 4 for reading lots of technical e-books which are generally better in PDF because of code samples and pictures. If you are mostly reading novels it will be fine. My wife reads a lot of novels on her Nexus 7 2013.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

gariig posted:

You want to get the iPad Mini with Retina the regular $299 iPad Mini is pretty long in the tooth and worth the $100 to upgrade. The one thing you lose with the Kindle apps instead of Kindle hardware is the Kindle Lending Library for Prime customers.

Another option might be a Nexus 7 2013 and an e-ink Kindle (regular or PaperWhite). However, you lose access to the Amazon Instant Video library because that doesn't have an Android application but does have an iOS version.

If 7.9 is a good size really depends. If you are reading a lot of large fixed size documents (PDF, comics, etc) it might be too cramped. I like my iPad 4 for reading lots of technical e-books which are generally better in PDF because of code samples and pictures. If you are mostly reading novels it will be fine. My wife reads a lot of novels on her Nexus 7 2013.

She has a kindle touch so the lack of lending library isn't a huge issue plus she just got a new iPhone so she's already I'm that ecosystem a little.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
I was given a Samsung Tab 3 as a gift a couple of days ago. I understand its a very basic model. All I do is browse the net and play pointless games. It seems to crash on bog standard apps a lot more regularly than the iPad or iPhone I have used and twice now its crashed so hard that it has switched off and refused to power back on for a significant amount of time.

I've told the gift giver what is happening and we will return it to the store, my issue is I know nothing about tablets and need advice as to what to tell the sales guy apart from what I said above.

Also if you could tell me which entry level "probably gonna be well underused" tablet to get that would help. I would like to:

Play dumb games
Go online
Use it like an electronic notebook

Cheers!

Ps, I'm under the impression computer equipment runs on some kind of voodoo, so make it simple!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Get the 2013 Nexus 7

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

I was given a Samsung Tab 3 as a gift a couple of days ago. I understand its a very basic model. All I do is browse the net and play pointless games. It seems to crash on bog standard apps a lot more regularly than the iPad or iPhone I have used and twice now its crashed so hard that it has switched off and refused to power back on for a significant amount of time.
I totally called this!

Fortunately, the solution is simple:

1st AD posted:

Get the 2013 Nexus 7

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I totally called this!

Fortunately, the solution is simple:

Word!

This looks like the plan going forward.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Csixtyfour posted:

My kids are younger than yours and they each have iPad 2's and the amount of abuse those things take is amazing. I have them in cases like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11212&cs_id=1084902&p_id=9589&seq=1&format=2 and they've help up really well. I wouldn't get them an Air, but for iPad's a 2/3/4 would probably work well. I can't speak to how the newer Kindle Fire's hold up (I have an OG Fire that was a tank), but I do love those EVA foam cases for kids to use.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Help me spend my Christmas money:

I had an 8gb Nook HD that I loved, once I put CM on it, mostly for the screen and the SD card slot. Sadly, the Nook has died.

I used it (and will use the new one) for reading, comics/magazines, Marvel Puzzle Quest, and some online stuff like e-mail, SA, and watching stuff on Youtube.

Do I just grab a 16gb Nook HD and throw CM on it again - it's familiar, and I know exactly what i'm getting. Do I buy a refurb 2012 32gb Nexus 7 - I hear a lot of 'buy a Nexus', and after having my Nook for so long, I kinda feel like I want something new. Expandable storage is appealing, i've got a lot of comics and the like, but 32gb is more than enough space. As a third option, I looked at a refurb 32gb Nook HD+, which i'd throw CM on, and might better facilitate my comics and magazines, but I hear that HD+'s are laggy.

My head says 'go with what you know', but my heart says 'you've done that, get something new.'

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 20, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Nooks ARE laggy but if you're happy with what you had before, the HD+ won't really be any different.

The new Nexus 7 is the fastest tablet in it's class (that's not an iPad anyways), and it's pretty cheap, get that unless you can't stand to miss a larger screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Martinpale posted:

Help me spend my Christmas money:

I had an 8gb Nook HD that I loved, once I put CM on it, mostly for the screen and the SD card slot. Sadly, the Nook has died.

I used it (and will use the new one) for reading, comics/magazines, Marvel Puzzle Quest, and some online stuff like e-mail, SA, and watching stuff on Youtube.

Do I just grab a 16gb Nook HD and throw CM on it again - it's familiar, and I know exactly what i'm getting. Do I buy a refurb 2012 32gb Nexus 7 - I hear a lot of 'buy a Nexus', and after having my Nook for so long, I kinda feel like I want something new. Expandable storage is appealing, i've got a lot of comics and the like, but 32gb is more than enough space. As a third option, I looked at a refurb 32gb Nook HD+, which i'd throw CM on, and might better facilitate my comics and magazines, but I hear that HD+'s are laggy.

My head says 'go with what you know', but my heart says 'you've done that, get something new.'

The nexus will be better on both software and hardware, and will be better supported over time. Plus, since it's stock android there really isn't a reason to bother rooting anymore (although I'm sure the support is there to a point if you still want to do that). Get the Nexus.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Someone recommend me a place (online or not) to buy a nexus in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
I need some help deciding between options.

I'm mostly looking for a basic wifi e-reader/Netflix consumption device, preferably in the $300 range. Naturally I'm inclined towards the Nexus 7. But, I'm also an artist, and I do a fair amount of work digitally, so I thought it might be cool to have a tablet I can sketch on as well. So it's between the Nexus 7 32-gig ($269) and the Galaxy Note 8 ($329).

I'm just not sure if the stylus functionality is worth the extra cost for the Note, which is an older, and less well-supported tablet at this point, and also has lower resolution, apparently. I understand I can still use a stylus on a Nexus 7, but it's not baked into the OS. If anyone has any experience with the note line, and whether the stylus support is really worth it compared to using a stylus on a regular tablet, I'd appreciate the advice. I have a slight preference for the styling of the Nexus, but it's not a big deal.

Edit: Also, if I wanted to root the Note, would that disable the stylus functionality with it?

BanjoFish fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 22, 2013