Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Nobody wins when nerds argue about attribute point systems. Just go with the original plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

rope kid posted:

A question for anyone reading the thread: if you saw a list of stats presented like this:

Might For melee classes (i.e. can swing a blunt instrument harder), but not wizards or projectile weapons
Constitution
Dexterity Hand-to-hand combat or projectile weapons, proxy component of "skill".
Perception All classes, proxy component of "skill". Also healing.
Intellect All classes, proxy component of "skill". More important for, e.g., wizards. Also healing.
Resolve

or

Power All clases. Brute force for melee, raw "magic potential" (?) for, e.g., wizards, but not projectile weapons. Also healing.
Constitution
Dexterity See above.
Perception See above.
Intellect See above.
Resolve

What would you assume the stat that affects damage would be? Based on that answer, if you discovered that stat affected all damage and healing, including damage and healing from sources like guns and wands and bows and fireball spells, how would you feel about it?

I am not an AD&D player and my only exposure to these systems is through video games. The ones I would expect to affect damage I bolded and indicated why in italics, in this part I've also indicated whether or not I would assume it also affected healing. I would also be fine with stats affecting both damage and healing.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 19, 2013

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't think there's anything wrong with Intellect affecting all damage, but if it were up to me I'd basically name every stat exactly what it did: Power, Resistance, Health, Stamina, etc.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

rope kid posted:

A question for anyone reading the thread: if you saw a list of stats presented like this:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

What would you assume the stat that affects damage would be? Based on that answer, if you discovered that stat affected all damage and healing, including damage and healing from sources like guns and wands and bows and fireball spells, how would you feel about it?
I would assume that Might and Power were the damage stats.

As for your second question: both Might and Power make sense for melee weapons. Having them affect healing and spells would seem transiently weird but I can kind of get behind it (wow, what a mighty/powerful healing spell!).

Guns and wands would feel a little weirder (since it feels like it ought not to matter how mightily you pull the trigger or how powerfully you wave a wand, since neither guns nor wands rely more than trivially on musclepower or brainpower to work, at least in my mind).

Having said all that, ultimately, I probably wouldn't care all that much about the precise name of each stat as long as it was explained in the character creation screen (or somewhere equally obvious) what each stat did.

quote:

Nobody wins when nerds argue about attribute point systems. Just go with the original plan.
Yes, this.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe
It wouldn't solve all the issues, but if they were to rename strength to endurance (the ability to endure long-term damage and carry more items) there would be no obvious-sounding damage stat and players would be forced to read all the descriptions to find out which one it is.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Might and Power here, too.

It's what Lord of the Rings Online does, by the way, and it always seemed obvious and classy, when I played that game.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

rope kid posted:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

What would you assume the stat that affects damage would be?
Might and Power, with possible options on Dex or Resolve.

quote:

Based on that answer, if you discovered that stat affected all damage and healing, including damage and healing from sources like guns and wands and bows and fireball spells, how would you feel about it?
Might just has slightly too physical a connotation for me not to be weirded out that it helps my guns and my healing. Power less so, though I guess it's still slightly strange that it helps non-drawn (i.e. not longbows/crossbow) ranged weapons. I would find it very bizarre if you told me Dexterity. While Resolve is a "well, maybe it could be this too" choice rather than the immediate one, I suppose it raises the least objections once you've hypothetically told me that it is this all round number raising stat.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
"Puissance" is the best name for the strength/power stat.

Seriously. Just roll it around your tongue. Puissance. Mm.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

rope kid posted:

I'd assume -

Might/Power = melee/ranged weapon damage
Intellect = spell damage
Constitution = max HP and possibly passive healing over time

I'd be perfectly fine with Power = all damage. Might still reads to me like a melee/ranged (not spell) damage stat.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 19, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rope kid posted:

"Power" probably connotates magnitude with all things a bit more than "Might" but in a vacuum I think "Might" would work just as well.

Difference being that people have probably heard "magical power" more than "magical might."

I think it works fine for damage and healing for all of the above except I think conventional thinking would say that the damage magnitude of gun's would have to come from targetting. So that implies some combination of intellect and dexterity. Everything else could be reasoned as some internal soul-power/literal strength that draws from the same "power" well.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 19, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't see any of these proposed stats forming the acronym S.P.I.D.E.R. :colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
There are lots of names that are good for affecting all damage, but having it affect all damage and healing is what makes me quirk an eyebrow like Spock. Add in damage from guns and wands too, and I like 'Resolve' more and more. I'm resolved to hew your limbs off. I'm resolved to get a headshot. I'm resolved to heal your wounds.

It works.

Power as a distant second.

Might is too 'physical'.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Actually it's not very lore-y but if you really wanted to spell it out for people, "Magnitude" wouldn't be a terrible option.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Again though i don't understand what an attribute HAS to govern a single combat stat and why an attribute (or multiple attributes) can't affect multiple combat stats at the same time. It would be so much easier to simply let class kits affect how heavily an attribute affects a stat for THEIR class and modify their effectiveness with feats, etc.

Que sera, sera though.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 19, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

I could totally see Power or Might both being the "make numbers bigger" stat, but I like the "health and tool-belt capacity" nature of Strength right now. I just don't know what to call it without bringing in baggage. Enterprise? Resourcefulness? Robusticity? Backbone?

Bottom line, as I've said before and Fintilgin says above

Fintilgin posted:

I'm resolved to hew your limbs off. I'm resolved to get a headshot. I'm resolved to heal your wounds.

It works.

mutantmell
Oct 14, 2012

rope kid posted:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

I'd assume might/power would be the damage parts of the system. I'd feel weird that it'd control both damage and healing.

(I'd feel that using Intellect for damage is less intuitive, but I'd be fine, and it'd feel fine if it controlled healing)

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

uaciaut posted:

Again though i don't understand what an attribute HAS to govern a single combat stat and why an attribute (or multiple attributes) can't affect multiple combat stats at the same time. It would be so much easier to simply let class kits affect how heavily an attribute affects a stat for THEIR class and modify their effectiveness with feats, etc.

Que sera, sera though.

That adds unnecessary complication to the mechanics to settle a very minor intuition issue. Not worth it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

rope kid posted:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power - AOE
Constitution - stamina/health
Dexterity - evasion
Perception - accuracy
Intellect - crit
Resolve - damage

I think that would work. "Resolve" being the damage stat would work well in my head for both healing and firearms/crossbows aswell.

However,

Mozi posted:

This.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

a slim pixie posted:

It wouldn't solve all the issues, but if they were to rename strength to endurance (the ability to endure long-term damage and carry more items) there would be no obvious-sounding damage stat and players would be forced to read all the descriptions to find out which one it is.
I like this. It also removes my little "longbows need strength :byodood:" spergery. On the other hand, not having something that tells me how physically strong my character is while I have stats of how quick-thinking/seeing I am, how quick-thinking/knowledgeable I am, andabout how quick-moving/nimble I am is a little strange to me. If you had to, I'd have strength do what it does now under the proposed system, then have a stat that only affects damage/healing in all forms. Resolve would be the best choice in my opinion, or something named to represent the soul power of the person or something.

uaciaut posted:

"I'm gonna pump x stat whenever I don't need anything else" is what comes of this, no? If a rogue gets most of their damage from their dex, why wouldn't they always pump dex once they've hit the bare minimum requirements they need for anything else?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 19, 2013

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
One cool feature that could ameliorate a lot of this would be to have a little textbox next to your character stats as you make it which roughly describes the type of character you are making so that you can work out if those are the gameplay effects you want. So if you make your hypothetical incredibly stupid warrior it notes that they are not clever enough to learn the finer points of combat, struggle with the basic logic behind footwork and positioning, and so on. Maybe even make it more explicitly mechanical (this character is too limited to know more than one combat style, or whatever).

I love anything that connects numbers to semantics.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008

Male Man posted:

That adds unnecessary complication to the mechanics to settle a very minor intuition issue. Not worth it.

I disagree, i think having stat govern both damage and healing done entirely will create more balance issues since you have to more or less work around it. And i don't care how complicated the mechanics are, i care about how well they work to create a solid, fairly balanced gameplay. Then again i do enjoy working with mechanics and doing math and poo poo so it might just be a personal prefference. To each their own i guess.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

uaciaut posted:

There's really nothing easy or simple about it. It becomes increasingly complex the more things you add to each stat and the more you intentionally branch off subtypes of weapons, damage, etc.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Furism posted:

Might and Power here, too.

It's what Lord of the Rings Online does, by the way, and it always seemed obvious and classy, when I played that game.

Lord of the Rings Online did some loving awesome poo poo with renaming things that are usually called something else. Making the traditional "hitpoints" Morale was brilliant, because that way they could get the gameplay of a healer into a universe where there aren't dozens of people running that can magically close the gravest of wounds.
If anything that should serve as an example that it's perfectly fine to rename to things that are traditionally called something else. People get over it. They get used to it quickly.

uaciaut posted:

Que sera, sera though.

Because that's complicated as hell for no benefit other than "my verisimilitude". Splitting stats also hurts hybrid characters. Both ranged/melee, phsyical/caster and damage/healing hybrids are going to exist in Pillars of Eternity, and they'll be significantly worse if damage and healing, ranged and melee or physical and magical attributes are split up - for no benefit. It would also significantly decrease viable build numbers and it seems like one of the goals is to make every kind of character useful with every class.

You're supposed to be able to have a Smart Person, a Quick Person, a Strong Person, a Tough Person, a Resolute Person - and each of them can be any class and function. Strong Wizard, Tough Wizard, Smart Wizard - they should all be viable, and the system as described does that.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 19, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Might/Power over here too. And when I found out they did everything, I'd probably switch to resolve in the first set, but keep power in the second. Guns are a weird one though, it almost feels like they shouldn't scale with anything. Your gun shoots has hard as it does whatever you do. And as we've already ascertained they're pretty inaccurate, scaling with perception doesn't even make sense. You can be the best at spotting targets on a target in the world, but if your gun doesn't shoot straight, best of luck hitting them in the face if that's where you're aiming.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
You know what? Call the skills anything you want. The biggest hope of this random guy on the internet is that there is minimal overlap between things the player upgrades that affect a character's capabilities in combat and upgrades that affect capabilities out of it. A stat that affects a Paladin's DPS capability shouldn't necessarily also affect his ability to influence people in dialog trees, because these areas are two different areas in a video game and while it's good for the paladin and makes sense in a strict trope sense, it kind of locks out every other class from being an "influential" character, which is the opposite of what you want for an actual Role Playing Game, right? I'd love to be able to make characters like zealot rear end in a top hat lawful evil Paladins or charismatic, chaotic good necromancers or lawful good rogues or whatever else like that.

I guess in my mind the best solution would be to dole out experience rewards for "combat" and "personality" points, with no overlap between the two systems. But that's probably not going to happen because this is an Infinity Engine-like game, not a new blank slate IP.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 19, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

rope kid posted:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

In the first option I'd assume might for melee, dex for ranged, int for magic dmg, resolve for healing. The second option would be a lot more confusing as to me power refers to stuff like mana, etc. After the initial confusion though I'd basically guess the same as in the first option.

If I discovered that one stat affected everyone's damage/healing output I wouldn't really like it at all. I enjoy the image of stupid but incredibly strong frontline fighter, smart but physically not so strong wizard, strong willed clerics, etc. I don't really roleplay my characters much, but one of the few things where I do do it is character building. It something where I want the correlations to immediately mase sense to me, and eg. my giant sledgehammer wielding frontliner needing int to increase his damage output wouldn't make sense to me.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In D&D, there already is a single damage stat for a lot of melee classes: Strength. Con and Dex are valuable enough for most fighters that not everyone builds max-Str fighters with dumped Con and Dex. The problem isn't that Strength is the only stat that affects damage for those classes, it's that the other stats don't affect enough meaningful things for those classes to make them attractive alternatives.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mozi posted:

This is an awesome post.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

In D&D, there already is a single damage stat for a lot of melee classes: Strength. Con and Dex are valuable enough for most fighters that not everyone builds max-Str fighters with dumped Con and Dex. The problem isn't that Strength is the only stat that affects damage for those classes, it's that the other stats don't affect enough meaningful things for those classes to make them attractive alternatives.

*cough* The problem is the existence of stats. *cough*

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GreatGreen posted:

You know what? Call the skills anything you want. The biggest hope of this random guy on the internet is that there is minimal overlap between things the player upgrades that affect a character's capabilities in combat and upgrades that affect capabilities out of it. A stat that affects a Paladin's DPS capability shouldn't necessarily also affect his ability to influence people in dialog trees, because these areas are two different areas in a video game and while it's good for the paladin and makes sense in a strict trope sense, it kind of locks out every other class from being an "influential" character, which is the opposite of what you want for an actual Role Playing Game, right?

The beauty of the system as described is that there is no Paladin DPS stat. You can in-fact have a Paladin that is exactly what you want him to be in terms of dialogue, and he'll still be effective in combat, but distinct from a Paladin someone else built to do something else in dialogues. The system is different from DnD in that it doesn't force stats on classes. A wizard doesn't have to be smart, and a Paladin doesn't have to be charismatic.
What it does do, is lock a certain combat advantage to certain kinds of characters. All smart people will heal better and hit harder, and all tough people will be able to take more hits. But that's not that different to DnD, since intimidating characters were more intimidating if they were strong and vice versa, etc.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 19, 2013

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
The more information the game gives you back about its expectations of the capability of the character you have constructed based on the stats the easier it is for the player to build a character which they want to play. You are attempting to coax the game system into giving you a character that has the properties you want.

And the more reactive the game is to that concept the more fun! I think.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Megazver posted:

*cough* The problem is the existence of stats. *cough*
This game will have ability scores and classes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

This game will have ability scores and classes.

Yeah, I know man. I know. But your post was about D&D.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zilkin posted:

If I discovered that one stat affected everyone's damage/healing output I wouldn't really like it at all. I enjoy the image of stupid but incredibly strong frontline fighter, smart but physically not so strong wizard, strong willed clerics, etc. I don't really roleplay my characters much, but one of the few things where I do do it is character building. It something where I want the correlations to immediately mase sense to me, and eg. my giant sledgehammer wielding frontliner needing int to increase his damage output wouldn't make sense to me.
But I'd like to play character classes that aren't some of the most tired tropes in gaming. I want my barbarian to see a new enemy with totally weird anatomy and make an experienced guess on where those areas are and what to do rather than roaring and trying to smash a jelly cube with a club. I want my fighter to be able to take a spear and harass five dudes into fighting him at once because he's just so drat accurate at hitting exactly the right weak spot that they can't ignore him. I want my wizard to strap on armor and beat things with his magical explodybook in one hand and mace in the other while my priest cowers in the corner wearing robes praying for his god to save them all. My chanter doesn't sit in the back singing poo poo with a lute, no, he's grabbing an axe or spear or a warhammer and belting out creepy-as-gently caress war chants while hacking you to death while the ranger is ripped as all hell and carrying the biggest bow this side of the forest for hunting everything while the other ranger is really, really good at working with his pet thing because he's got such a connection with animals (those two rangers aren't friends).

If that means there's one stat (called expertise or puissance or resolve or whatever) I don't care, but I want to be able to make a fighter that isn't strong without having him suck. I want to see a benefit for a wizard that isn't a rickety consumptive wreck who struggles to turn the pages of his book because they're so heavy, even if it means he spent so much time studying he's got more powerful spells. I want a rogue that isn't that good with a knife, but by god does he have every single drat poison available and he knows how and when to use them.

I don't really care how that system comes out, but I want it. I think having intellect be the damage stat triggers some "hey, what the hell?" aspects, but that's fine and I'll live with it. Having a gently caress-off hammer is going to do more damage than a dagger, all other things being equal, and if that hammer requires more strength to use, there you go: there's your damage benefit from strength.

edit: The more I think about it, the more damage should be tied to a soul-related stat. You've got the soul mechanic, most of the characters are in some way soul-related in their power, and those that aren't can just be said to be subtly using their soul strength to improve their physicality in some way without actually improving their muscles directly. It makes sense with the physical damage, it makes sense with the spell damage, it makes sense with ranged weapons, and it makes sense that the same stat governs healing strength and smashy skills if it isn't something real or tangible in the world. If that doesn't work with the lore, well, drat, but that's what makes the most intuitive sense to me..

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 19, 2013

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008

rope kid posted:

There's really nothing easy or simple about it. It becomes increasingly complex the more things you add to each stat and the more you intentionally branch off subtypes of weapons, damage, etc.

True but outside of each class getting their damage from their own governing attribute (i.e. monks resolve, fighter type str, cyphers and casters int), which would still create a lot of balance problems and complications, i see no way around it.

I definitely understand that a more transparent, intuitive system is the ideal thing here since it makes it more accessible to more people and generates fewer complications. Main thing i can say about is i'm sure glad i ain't in your shoes durrrrrr.
Good luck with sorting things out though!

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

rope kid posted:

[snip]

Might and Power, though to me might carries a teensy bit more physical connotation than power does, and guns with either feels a bit off. Nothing I can't rationalize away, though (THEY'RE SOUL BULLETS OKAY).

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

verybad posted:

Might and Power, though to me might carries a teensy bit more physical connotation than power does, and guns with either feels a bit off. Nothing I can't rationalize away, though (THEY'RE SOUL BULLETS OKAY).

verybad's SOUL BULLET crits ORC for 37 points of emotional damage

ORC reconsiders life choices and regrets the path not taken

+500xp

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK if we're really gonna get bogged down in what each of these connotate I may as well go whole-hog.

Currently
Strength - Health, number of inventory slots, Fortitude saves
Constitution - Stamina, Fortitude saves
Dexterity - Accuracy, Reflex saves
Intellect - Damage and Healing, Willpower saves
Perception - Critical Damage, Reflex saves
Resolve - Durations, AoE sizes, Willpower saves

"Logically" - based on "realism" and not D&D so much since I only ever played BG
Strength - melee physical magnitude, bow magnitude, attack speed, number of inventory slots
Constitution - health, stamina
Dexterity - ranged physical magnitude, accuracy, attack speed
Intellect - magical damage, ranged physical magnitude, critical physical damage, healing
Perception - I don't know, threat detection? a lot of potential overlap with intellect re "targetting" for magnitude/crits
Resolve - stamina, durations, AoE sizes, increased efficacy at low health

I would suggest something like this for the breakdown as it stands if you really wanted to shake off people's hang-ups from other games:

Ideally
Fortitude - Health, number of inventory slots, Fortitude saves
Stamina - Stamina, Fortitude saves
Accuracy - Accuracy, Reflex saves
Power - Damage and Healing, Willpower saves
Foresight - Critical Damage, Reflex saves
Resolve - Durations, AoE sizes, Willpower saves

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SurrealityCheck posted:

verybad's SOUL BULLET crits ORC for 37 points of emotional damage

ORC reconsiders life choices and regrets the path not taken

+500xp
Previously: The orc looked back at his family huddled in the tent as merciless human raiders swarmed the encampment. He had to see this through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

uaciaut posted:

True but outside of each class getting their damage from their own governing attribute (i.e. monks resolve, fighter type str, cyphers and casters int), which would still create a lot of balance problems and complications, i see no way around it.
What is to "get around", that one stat affects damage and healing? The way to get around that is to balance the per-point increase to damage and healing from That Stat against the per-point increase to other valuable things from other stats. Decentralizing where those bonuses come from makes that more complicated, not less.

• Locked thread