Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xzzy posted:

I think it's imagination, because once you get past the bow shock you're in "clean" air. What I think happens is that when the truck's turbulence pushes you away, you turn the steering wheel to compensate. Then you suddenly get past the turbulence with the wheel still turned, causing you to lurch back towards the truck.

That's just a guess though.. remember your vehicle is pushing air too and I'm not sure what interactions might arise when your bow shock gets in front of the truck's.

I don't think so. It's essentially the same as two ships running parallel with each other. The bow shock of both vehicles reverberates down the space between them and causes a low-pressure zone, pulling them together. Alternately, think of it as flow through a pipe, with the two vehicles forming the walls of the pipe. It's much stronger with ships because of the different properties of air/water. Not 100% positive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If two cars are driving down the freeway, and one is on a treadmill..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

I wonder if there's a way to wire up a button / switch to add "don't shift into 1, you dipshit" functionality.

There is. An SPDT toggle switch will do for 87-96 XJs and there's a Montana Fabrication kit to add it to 97 and later XJs.

The toggle switch works on 97+ vehicles as well but WILL trigger a DTC.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

There is. An SPDT toggle switch will do for 87-96 XJs and there's a Montana Fabrication kit to add it to 97 and later XJs.

The toggle switch works on 97+ vehicles as well but WILL trigger a DTC.
Got a link for that? I found https://www.montanafab.com but their website doesn't work and I'm not even sure if it's the right company.

Edit: Looks like it is: http://montanafab.com/2011/07/awa-transmission-override/

Christ that website is terrible.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SFH1989 posted:

My '11 does too, I think they've had them since at least 2008.

They may have been available on select models in '08, but I had a '10 Fusion that didn't have them but the '12 Fusion that replaced it did (company cars replaced every 80,000 miles at my prior job); I'm fairly certain Ford went company-wide with them in 2011.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Geoj posted:

They may have been available on select models in '08, but I had a '10 Fusion that didn't have them but the '12 Fusion that replaced it did (company cars replaced every 80,000 miles at my prior job); I'm fairly certain Ford went company-wide with them in 2011.

My '11 Fusion has the blind spot sensors, but I still don't trust them as gospel. They work well, but it's no excuse not to look before you merge.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

Got a link for that? I found https://www.montanafab.com but their website doesn't work and I'm not even sure if it's the right company.

Edit: Looks like it is: http://montanafab.com/2011/07/awa-transmission-override/

Christ that website is terrible.

It used to be a lot better, I wasn't even sure if they were still in business. Great product though, from all reports.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Krakkles posted:

I wonder if there's a way to wire up a button / switch to add "don't shift into 1, you dipshit" functionality.

I have a 2010 Grand Caravan with the six speed. It doesn't have manual select it has "Electronic Range Limitation" meaning it will not go ABOVE the selected gear. But if you have it set to 2 it will happily shift to 1 whenever it wants to.

On the other hand it's handy as hell on the Highway for passing, and with 6 speeds you can drop a couple cogs without the engine red-lining.

edit: I'm wrong, acutally, you can't force it to make dangerous downshifts by selecting a lower gear, it will wait to change down until your speed is low enough.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Red87 posted:

My '11 Fusion has the blind spot sensors, but I still don't trust them as gospel. They work well, but it's no excuse not to look before you merge.

I was referring to built-in blind spot mirrors, AFAIK the lane sensors are still optional.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

ijustam posted:

Especially when you get passed by a semi and the wake created makes the RV veer to the right.

Anticipate, correct, carry on.

Most interstates are naturally pitched to the right for the right lanes, and left for the left lanes so a pass on either side will double the pulling effect. Also, grow some balls guys. If I can drive 75ft weighing 79k lbs worth of truck and trailer at 70mph with no problem, you can get that rental box or rv cooking just the same.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I honestly found larger box trucks easier to drive than RVs. RVs tend to have really soft, boat-like suspension so the wind causes all sorts of weird poo poo. Box trucks, while still giant sails, at least resist the wind a tiny bit.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Geoj posted:

I was referring to built-in blind spot mirrors, AFAIK the lane sensors are still optional.

The problem I have with my blind spot mirrors is that the focal points between them and the regular side mirrors seem so far apart. I barely remember I have them because I can't see them. I use my side mirrors all the time.

For example, using the regular side mirrors, I'm focusing past the mirror. For the small blind spot mirrors, I'm focusing directly at the surface of the whole mirror.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

ijustam posted:

I honestly found larger box trucks easier to drive than RVs. RVs tend to have really soft, boat-like suspension so the wind causes all sorts of weird poo poo. Box trucks, while still giant sails, at least resist the wind a tiny bit.

Lololololol, wind resistance...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

buttcrackmenace posted:

Spotted on the way to work today.

Do NOT
Double
Stack

Lol.

Got the hell away from this one as quick as I could.

edit : oh look gas is cheap today

Where the hell do you live that they sell Total fuel and American pickups?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
U.S. Virgin Islands.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't think so. It's essentially the same as two ships running parallel with each other. The bow shock of both vehicles reverberates down the space between them and causes a low-pressure zone, pulling them together. Alternately, think of it as flow through a pipe, with the two vehicles forming the walls of the pipe. It's much stronger with ships because of the different properties of air/water. Not 100% positive, though.

You're on the right path here and you're correct enough for this conversation. However, cars do not and will never create bow shocks. A bow shock is a well-defined phenomena in Fluid Mechanics, which cars will not experience until they start moving at transonic speeds ~ 340 m/s.

Bernoulli's principle is what makes cars veer. When cars move close together, the air between them moves a bit faster, which makes the pressure decrease, causing them to move closer together. This would be mch more pronounced between two semi's compared to a semi and a car, but it still happens.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

th vwls hv scpd posted:

He woke up this morning. He has a fractured tibia right below his knee, a couple of fractured ribs and a little road rash on his right knee, shin and top of his foot. I'm very thankful he is doing well so far.

He started to wake up this morning and let the nurse know he was hurting a bit. They had him moving his fingers and toes so I'm hoping he is going to be OK soon.
Jesus, that sounds like a hell of a scare. I'm sure he enjoys riding and all, but for your sake I hope he decides to hang it up. Cars just aren't cognizant of cyclists (of any type, really), and the results can be utterly disastrous.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

buttcrackmenace posted:

Spotted on the way to work today.

Do NOT
Double
Stack

Lol.

Got the hell away from this one as quick as I could.

edit : oh look gas is cheap today

Sorry for the lovely pic but yours reminded me of this, taken a little over a year ago. SUPER safe.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This rolled in this morning. Apparently it was making a strange sound yesterday then this morning on the way to work it started handling funny so she drove to the dealership 20+ miles away. Good thing the TPMS sensor was there, she likely knew she had a low tire.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

This rolled in this morning. Apparently it was making a strange sound yesterday then this morning on the way to work it started handling funny so she drove to the dealership 20+ miles away. Good thing the TPMS sensor was there, she likely knew she had a low tire.

You removed the tread before taking this picture... right?! :stonk:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Beach Bum posted:

You removed the tread before taking this picture... right?! :stonk:

Well it still appears round, so..

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

NitroSpazzz posted:

What does all these lights on my dash MEAN?!?!?! Did I just get a facebook update????

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I remember having this experience last year when I went to pick up a buddy's Dodge Ram from a bar and take it home. I said ok. I got dropped off at the bar by my wife at around 10-11pm.

She followed me to my buddy's place from behind. At this time, the weather was a little cold and was forecasted for some snow so I was expecting some spreaders on the road for salt. Driving down the highway at 70km/hr with the wife in the Jetta behind me. I saw that a salt truck was quickly approaching in the passing lane and I was like, "ok sure" and pulled to the slow lane so they could pass doing their thing.

The salt truck sped up past me and then promptly cut me off spraying tons of salt on me. I shrugged and dropped it down to 60km/hr so he can get some distance ahead of me.

He then slowed down to match my speed. I was really confused at this point. It kinda seems to me that he was intentionally trying to be a dick to me.

I quickly texted my wife and said to pull over and wait for the guy to keep going. So she did as I did.

The guy loving pulled over too. I was flabbergasted and had to assume maybe he was on the radio or something. I called my wife and said, "ok we're going. Get ahead of me and stay ahead. I will meet you there." She said ok and drove past the salt truck.

I waited for a bit and then pulled out and drove forward. The salt truck pulled out just a few seconds later. I doubles the speed limit and blasted past him in the passing lane and kept ahead. I slowed down to the speed limit because I'm pretty sure the cops don't accept, "killer salt truck stalking me."

The salt truck sped up and started TAILGATING ME. Then he flashed me with his high beams and tried to pass me and started to slowly run me off the road. I honked the horn several times with no response. I slammed on my brake before I ran out of roads and pulled over. He pulled over again.

I reached into the backseat and grabbed a large wrench (buddy's work tools) and got out of the truck to confront the driver. I guess he saw the wrench and drove off????

I called the cops and the city and reported what happened. They said they don't know whether it was a contractor or a city worker. I asked for a follow up and I haven't heard anything.

It was a weird moment on the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

quaint bucket posted:

It was a weird moment on the road.
Is you buddy's pickup running a Duelly rear axle?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Is you buddy's pickup running a Duelly rear axle?

Nope. Why?

vvvvv I don't get it... :( vvvvv

E: oh I get it now. I thought you made a spelling error.

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 19, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
*crickets chirp*

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Like the axle wanted to duel? Is that what your joke was?

I hope I just don't get it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

Like the axle wanted to duel? Is that what your joke was?

I hope I just don't get it.
No, you got it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
WORST PUN EVER.

For a second I thought I was reading a craigslist ad.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
also this?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

U.S. Virgin Islands.

Yup.

Also we drive on the left because of donkeys. Seriously.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The Midniter posted:

Sorry for the lovely pic but yours reminded me of this, taken a little over a year ago. SUPER safe.

:v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That yellow gtr was an illegal "stage registered" import, and was impounded and crushed last year.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I might be getting a job with a driving instruction company. Here's to hoping I don't get killed while teaching people how to drive. I'm known by friends and family to be the safest and "most professional" driver and was told I should get into that sort of business. Maybe I can make a difference.

I'm also tempted to ask about having dashcams in the testing cars because I know there's going to be a lot of mistakes. A LOT. When I was taking drivers ed in high school, one girl in my class did not understand the concept of on-ramps and off-ramps, as in that you have to turn the wheel while driving. So many times the instructor reached over to make sure we didn't fly off into the ditch.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

jamal posted:

That yellow gtr was an illegal "stage registered" import, and was impounded and crushed last year.

Last i heard frankie munez owns, or at least owned, the white volkswagen. The Fast&Furious cars all seem to have interesting little back stories.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uh, no. Johnny Tran owns that car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Uh, no. Johnny Tran owns that car.

Too soon, Junior.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It happened today! I flashed my brights (two long ones, as to convey friendliness, if that's at all possible) at a white Hyundai with no rear lights and then he turned them on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bolind posted:

It happened today! I flashed my brights (two long ones, as to convey friendliness, if that's at all possible) at a white Hyundai with no rear lights and then he turned them on!

I followed a Triumph Spitfire on a unlit dual carriageway, with no rear lights, but fully-working headlights (a rarity for a British car of that age that they worked).

The driver must have been confused at the stream of people flashing him from behind when he could clearly see that his lights were working.

I even pulled in front of him, hit the hazards and pumped the brakes 3 times and he still didn't get the message.

What else could be done? Morse code?