Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
poo poo not pissing me off:
I stupidly ordered the wrong cables from Monoprice back in October. They've been sitting in a box, unopened since. I finally went to use a cable and noticed that I accidentally ordered Mini Displayport > DVI cable instead of regular Displayport > DVI. I went ahead and ordered the correct cables now.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if it's still possible to return these, as I have no use for them. I used their chat program and they offered to set up the RMA right away. Thought that was pretty awesome of them since it was my screw up and well over a month had passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Not pissing me off: the annual buffet called "The Grazing!!" that runs for 6.5 hours and includes breakfast and lunch and cost $5 for the members of the unit. Some of the best food I've had in a long time. And then we got down to the serious business of a Nerf war, which was kicked off by our commander walking up to one of his lieutenants and shooting him in the back of the head. Everyone was walking around armed, and gun battles would break out every few minutes. It was hilarious watching the military members carrying out ambushes and belly-crawling to their next position. The commander almost swooned when I handed him my automatic Nerf gun and several magazines to replace his five-shot pea-shooter. He brought it back an hour later and apologized for losing a few dozen darts, but the entertainment value was worth it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Yaos posted:

What is it with web developers? Why do they insist on pulling this poo poo? It's web based, it should work in any browser. Even Netflix uses Silverlight but at least they are switching to HTML5.

Delicious legacy ActiveX code. Screw you, Siebel.

Also how the hell did IE8's coders manage to write it such that there's a 5-second lag to open a new tab on a goddamn i7.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sweevo posted:

When did Windows Update stop supporting IE6? I know they stopped supporting IE5 a while ago (I want to say about 18 months) because I remember it being an issue with Windows 2000 and having to install IE6 by hand first.

WindowsUpdate works fine with IE6, though it will demand that you install a small update first, then it will demand that you install GenuineAdvantage, then you get the updates.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Lum posted:

WindowsUpdate works fine with IE6, though it will demand that you install a small update first, then it will demand that you install GenuineAdvantage, then you get the updates.

I'm going through this poo poo right now with a crappy Dimension 5150. It wanted IE8 to run updates, so I clicked the link for IE8 download and it sent me to a short url that ended in 'pixel.gif' instead of the IE8 download exe?! Now after doing everything it asked [IE8, NET 2.0 and SP3] it still throws an error, so now I have to download the 'Windows Install Agent' and try again after that. I forgot how lovely a fresh install of XP can be to get working properly. I've been spoilt by 7 and 8.1 just working right out of the gate.

Also gently caress people who insist on using Outlook Express when we build a new machine for them, then complain when they find WLM instead, or we do data copy from their old dying boxes and they can't figure out what the User folder is for and where's all my data what have you done you lost it all it's all your fault :byodood:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GoatShaver posted:

...got pulled aside and told I was doing a terrible job while boss was gone (multiweek vacation) and basically asked "what do you do here?" Luckily I had a lot of people come out of the woodwork and pump my tires which calmed people down.

That's when I have the almost irresistible urge to say something like, "Tell you what, I'll stop doing what I do here and we'll see how long it takes for things to fall apart," even though I know that I'm not really that invaluable. It's a pretty big drat coincidence how everything starts taking longer to do and at worse quality though, once some manager says something like that to me.

quote:

Can't help but feel like its about that time, though. My department consists of two people, we have something going on tonight at our stadium, and i'm the only guy here, which I don't mind necessarily, but give me a loving day off.

Time to start calling in "sick." Those rapid-onset, rapid-recovery 24-hour colds sure are a bitch this time of year, eh?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
It's 9pm on the second last day of work and I'm in the office working on phones. As much as it sucks, being the only one in the office makes it pretty easy to get stuff done.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

One of our professionals just paid for a webinar, and got this email:

The application is some "stop people from copying your IP!" thing, but... we can just print it and scan it if we want to and the application that they sent to my user made trend/officescan freak out.

The irony with this is that anything that is complicated to install/run will require the help of the IT dept / guy good with computers - who will defeat it purely as a matter of pride.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo that's pissing me off. Printers installed with the wrong drivers that were crashing the PC whenever they attempted to use them. I spent 10 hours remotely reinstalling the printers over a lovely connection as they live in the middle of nowhere. Just as I get done, they have a power cut, which has apparently fried everything and i'll have to set it up again next week.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I've complained about "large vendor" before here several times.
Well, given http://bgr.com/2013/12/04/samsung-knox-mobile-security-problems/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews I figure I can name names for one of my ongoing problems now, right?

The article doesn't nearly come close to explaining what a clusterfuck KNOX is, which is pretty weird as Samsung did a great job with SAFE. The "oh, Samsung have had issues bringing up a services department" is a poo poo excuse - yes, licensing is a complete mystery right now, but that's the sort of thing you worry about once your actual API is in some sort of working state. I don't think I can go into details about what is wrong without breaking the NDA, but this is the worst API I have dealt with in 10 years as a developer (in so many ways) - and responses from support are hilariously slow due, I can only assume, to them being snowed under by the fact that every single partner they have invited into the programme has to ask so many questions to even start to get simple things working (going by variable names, at least some of the KNOX stuff is licensed from someone else rather than written in-house, and that particular library has a bunch of standards-compliancy issues with it we have tried to explain to the vendor without success, so I can't wait to see how it's been broken in this case)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

That's when I have the almost irresistible urge to say something like, "Tell you what, I'll stop doing what I do here and we'll see how long it takes for things to fall apart," even though I know that I'm not really that invaluable. It's a pretty big drat coincidence how everything starts taking longer to do and at worse quality though, once some manager says something like that to me.

My boss has no idea what I do, and if I left the entire company would fall apart, because all of our projects run on embedded Linux and I am the only Embedded Linux guy here. My friend who does most of the programming knows enough Linux to get by, but without me he would fall apart as well. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ookiimarukochan posted:

I've complained about "large vendor" before here several times.
Well, given http://bgr.com/2013/12/04/samsung-knox-mobile-security-problems/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews I figure I can name names for one of my ongoing problems now, right?

The article doesn't nearly come close to explaining what a clusterfuck KNOX is, which is pretty weird as Samsung did a great job with SAFE. The "oh, Samsung have had issues bringing up a services department" is a poo poo excuse - yes, licensing is a complete mystery right now, but that's the sort of thing you worry about once your actual API is in some sort of working state. I don't think I can go into details about what is wrong without breaking the NDA, but this is the worst API I have dealt with in 10 years as a developer (in so many ways) - and responses from support are hilariously slow due, I can only assume, to them being snowed under by the fact that every single partner they have invited into the programme has to ask so many questions to even start to get simple things working (going by variable names, at least some of the KNOX stuff is licensed from someone else rather than written in-house, and that particular library has a bunch of standards-compliancy issues with it we have tried to explain to the vendor without success, so I can't wait to see how it's been broken in this case)

As a former Samsung mobile developer who still has his ear to the ground, I feel you and can probably speculate on some of the causes. Samsung has gotten where they are by being the least worst choice, not the best choice.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

H1KE posted:

I'm going through this poo poo right now with a crappy Dimension 5150. It wanted IE8 to run updates, so I clicked the link for IE8 download and it sent me to a short url that ended in 'pixel.gif' instead of the IE8 download exe?! Now after doing everything it asked [IE8, NET 2.0 and SP3] it still throws an error, so now I have to download the 'Windows Install Agent' and try again after that. I forgot how lovely a fresh install of XP can be to get working properly. I've been spoilt by 7 and 8.1 just working right out of the gate.

Oh god, no wonder you people are having poo poo.

Start with an XP SP3 CD. If you don't have one then either :filez: one or make one using nLite.

gently caress installing XP from an RTM CD. Seriously. Just no

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Apparently my office is having a huge Christmas party. No one told IT. :smithcloud:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
You'll find out when they need power strips to plug in their Crockpots or Karaoke Machine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And my bonus is a 15 dollar gift certificate out of my bosses pocket.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jim truds posted:

I know it doesn't seem like much, but a boss reaching into his own pocket to give you a little something is not a meaningless gesture.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I know it doesn't seem like much, but a boss reaching into his own pocket to give you a little something is not a meaningless gesture.

Oh no, I really appreciate it. My boss is pretty amazing. I am mostly depressed that she is constantly reaching into her pocket to give us things. She needs to YOTJ as much as the rest of us.

Also now pissed that my coworker bitching because we want a few bucks to give her something.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

jim truds posted:

I missed bonus season. Apparently everyone in the company got a decent Christmas bonus...the week I was hired. :smith:

Then again, I did randomly win a $200 cash prize at the company Christmas party. :v:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Maybe I should stop working for a non-profit. We get a pat on the back and a "See you next year!".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Helushune posted:

Maybe I should stop working for a non-profit. We get a pat on the back and a "See you next year!".

Same here. No bonuses or gifts either, and any personal gift from a vendor must be reported to salaries for taxation (requirement by law).

Luckily the vendors sends their gifts to the department, so right now we're drowning in cake, candies, wine and booze. :haw:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Helushune posted:

Maybe I should stop working for a non-profit. We get a pat on the back and a "See you next year! Maybe.".

Fixed that for you.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At least my old job had a christmas party with good door prizes. Prior to the new CEO taking it over we actually got like $40 gift cards as well. My new employer does absolutely nothing.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I get a bottle of wine. It seems appropriate.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Fixed that for you.

Oh, thanks. I should find a screwdriver and carve how many years I've been here in to the dry wall next to my desk. Actually, now that I look over at it, there's a bunch of scratches already. Maybe someone else had the same idea.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've worked for two groups of doctors and both do/did 1 week's pay for the Christmas bonus. I wish you guys got the same. :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have never worked somewhere that awarded bonuses. My boss usually calls a team meeting at the end of the year and gives us a small gift. He's forbidden from spending over a certain amount, and frankly I'd be a little uncomfortable if he did, but I've always appreciated the thought.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We're getting a pizza party for Christmas! :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I got a new job for my Christmas bonus :yotj:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
We had our free (org wide) christmas lunch today, then Monday is christmas lunch for just IT. Beyond that, christmas bonus is "well, you can cash out some PTO if you like :) "

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've worked for two groups of doctors and both do/did 1 week's pay for the Christmas bonus. I wish you guys got the same. :(

eh, I'm not complaining (much). I know how nice us Scandinavians have it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sirotan posted:

We're getting a pizza party for Christmas! :unsmith:

I just went out for pizza with all my new colleagues. On the plus side it was fun. On the downside the people who are younger than me, are less qualified and less experienced get paid significantly more than me, according to drunk conversation. Looks like i'm pushing for a big raise when my salary review comes up :shrug:

E: Also were hired after me.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

drat, why is that?

Edit:

Oh hey, I may bitch about this company and its employees, but they did just give me a sweet new 1920 x 1080 screen :dance:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 20, 2013

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I got a new job for my Christmas bonus :yotj:

I got a three week temporary layoff or whatever it's called starting on the first of January. Hoo-the-loving-ray.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

chia posted:

I got a three week temporary layoff or whatever it's called starting on the first of January. Hoo-the-loving-ray.

A holiday?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

toe shoes posted:

A holiday?

It's not a holiday if you can't choose when you take it and they don't pay you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

chia posted:

You see lemons, I see an opportunity to cram in as many in person interviews as possible.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
For most of this week, we've been going through the WSDLs for the customer's SAP. There are only three data types: Strings, decimals and bytes. And to submit changes, you first need to request the entire data structure. Why? Because when you submit it back, anything that is missing is deleted from SAP. And the kicker? The system has no conflict detection and does not use any kind of locking. :v:

Oh well. At least my vacation starts today. I have more than enough opportunities to worry more about it in two weeks.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
Have to go into the datacenter this morning to go look at a server where the xen host seems to have run out of memory, causing the OOM to terminate ssh and nrpe.

The only hosted VM stayed running for a few hours but it seems to have stopped working correctly, so I have to head in far earlier than I was intending.

Macropiper fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 20, 2013

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today... the cheap rear end boss/owner/CEO...

New location going up, will be open in 2 months.

We already have our phone lines setup (6) and ordered with Frontier, just waiting to give them the go ahead to install. Its going to be a grand total of $184 per month with taxes and fees...

Boss decides the location needs one voice and the fax line active before they open. He only wants those 2 active to save some money... Frontier says no problem, just those 2 will be a little over $50.. Except they do have a problem, no one at Frontier can seem to figure out how to achieve this without making it into separate orders and loosing our number assignments. They have been working on this almost a week now with no resolution. In less than 2 months we will be turning them all on anyways...

All of this to save $125...

Boss is pissed at me because it isn't done yet. This is a company that has done over 40 million in sales this year with a few million of that profit; best year the company has ever had. (hence the new location!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Macropiper posted:

Have to go into the datacenter this morning to go look at a server where the xen host seems to have run out of memory, causing the OOM to terminate ssh and nrpe.

The only hosted VM stayed running for a few hours but it seems to have stopped working correctly, so I have to head in far earlier than I was intending.

Isn't it great how OOM always seems to kill ssh first, making completely useless since you are now unable to log in and fix the memory issue. I got to the point where I just disabled OOM on my pxe image since it was worthless.