Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When're your reviews going to be up? The sawback looks pretty neat.

The more I use those RC4WD challengers and GMade steel wheels the happier I am with the set. I love the way they look and their rock crawling grip is on par or maybe a touch better than the ripsaws. Haven't used it in mud yet but it did pretty well in axel deap snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just found out that I'll be heading over to Nuremberg next month for the toy fair. Needless to say I'm about as giddy as a diabetic in a candy store. Krushgroove, are you going to be there with the HPI Europe crew?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

powderific posted:

When're your reviews going to be up? The sawback looks pretty neat.

The more I use those RC4WD challengers and GMade steel wheels the happier I am with the set. I love the way they look and their rock crawling grip is on par or maybe a touch better than the ripsaws. Haven't used it in mud yet but it did pretty well in axel deap snow.

My Sawback article is going up tomorrow. I really like the truck. I plan on taking it out in the snow this weekend (if the forecast is right)

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
those rims are gonna look even more awesome when they rust.

Glad to hear mostly positive stuff from the sawback, think a bud of mine was looking for a crawler on the cheap and this fits the bill.

Really need to get my scalers finished, worse is finding a place to crawl, its not an easy task In Qatar.

My TF2 is ready for paint, but again finding paint is always an issue for me, will have to wait till a friend comes back in January with some rattle can auto paint.

Always wanted a topper Hilux (i have way to many hilux) looked like the dinky RC topper was to easy to crumple, when RC4Wd released one I knew it was time! The rampage rear bumper is nice but the tire mount is way to high, will have to lower that in the future. Also LOVE the look of the pitbull growlers can't wait to try em out.

Paints gonna be military olive green with these decals :3:

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/cgtzbl.htm

Oh if anyone is looking at scx10s or wraiths RPP is having a sale on the jeep and wraith kits.
http://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/12.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=12&show=60&page=1&brand=Axial%20Racing

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just found out that I'll be heading over to Nuremberg next month for the toy fair. Needless to say I'm about as giddy as a diabetic in a candy store. Krushgroove, are you going to be there with the HPI Europe crew?

As usual! :)

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
I am down to these 2 cars currently, my SCX10 (That I will likely never part with), and my SC10B. I just finished the 2/4WD conversion on the SCX10, shiftable from the controller, I am far more excited about that than I should be. I am looking at possibly buying an RC8.2 RTR electric to bring to the track this summer. I started playing with the SC10B at the track last summer, and it was far better out of the box than I ever expected, Biggest complaints out of the box were the rear tires, ESC, and it running a little hot. Top end speed was more than needed for that track, and more punch out of the corners would be useful, so I bought the 2 pinions below what was stock, and the tires that seemed to make most SC guys at the track happy (Soft JC Barcodes) to test out. I also swapped out the HORRIBLE stock brushless ESC and put in a Traxxas Velineon ESC. I can't for the life of me get any RTR Associated Brushless ESC to act anywhere close to what I would consider consistent. The braking/reverse transition from forward is garbage. I also purchased a Futaba 4PLS to replace all my random transmitters, so I just need to buy another overpriced receiver or 2 if I buy the RC8.2. This on top of my extensive RC plane purchasing is getting a bit out of hand.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That lipo is looking really spotty dude. That's some pretty pronounced bulging.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

kuffs posted:

That lipo is looking really spotty dude. That's some pretty pronounced bulging.

Yeah, you have no idea, that's what you get for buying Duratrax Onyx Lipo's I guess. I probably own 50 Lipo's between my planes and cars (Mostly planes), and the only batteries that have done this are these 2 Duratrax 5700 2S Lipo's (All stored at "Storage Voltage" as well). They are junk, would never buy again. They are used for testing, and are stored in an all metal military ammo box when not being used. Those piles were $50/each new, and did that after about a month. Only thing I have ever purchased from "Duratrax" that was worth anything were battery chargers and small odds and ends (Pinion gears, etc.). I call one Wilson, and the other Voit due to their sportsball-esque mannerisms.

Budget Monty fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 12, 2013

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

4PLS receivers are only $60 though, how's that overpriced? If you don't care for telemetry then just get the $50 receiver for the 4PL.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

4PLS receivers are only $60 though, how's that overpriced? If you don't care for telemetry then just get the $50 receiver for the 4PL.

Compared to many other brands I have purchased over the years, $60 is about $20 too much in my opinion. Futaba is a little too proud of their smaller electronics I think. And telemetry sensors? close to double if not more compared to other brands.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've started reviewing an Absima radio, the CR4T I think, it's great. It's a rebranded FlySky radio with receivers that cost about $10 each, and the latest versions have plug-in telemetry. The touchscreen could be better but it's great value, it's my second FlySky radio actually.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Yeah, I fly with a Spektrum DX8 Telemetry radio (Altimiter, GPS, Batt. Voltage, Rec. Voltage, RPM, Speed [GPS/Air], Amps, etc.). I love Spektrum, but their 4 channel telemetry car radio came with a 3 channel receiver for some reason, and to add the 4 channel receiver to use all 4 channels that I needed, it simply got too expensive. Why sell a name brand 4 channel controller and include a 3 channel receiver?

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have a hacked flysky GT3b, use it for most of my scalers/slow rcs, works very well and for 10 dollars or less for a receiver how could i not?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I have no previous experience with RC stuff. I want a onroad (maybe 4x4?) electric car thats 1:8 (unless you talk me into another size.) This will be for having fun with and teaching myself. what companies/models would you suggest?

Not averse to a light truck chassis that cam go over grass/mild dirt, but not looking for a rock crawler. Id like a LITTLE ground clearance.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 19, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Method Loser posted:

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I have no previous experience with RC stuff. I want a onroad (maybe 4x4?) electric car thats 1:8 (unless you talk me into another size.) This will be for having fun with and teaching myself. what companies/models would you suggest?

Not averse to a light truck chassis that cam go over grass/mild dirt, but not looking for a rock crawler. Id like a LITTLE ground clearance.

If you want to start with basic stuff to learn RC, go with 1/10th scale. 1/8th will be mega expensive to deal with for beginner stuff

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

You Am I posted:

If you want to start with basic stuff to learn RC, go with 1/10th scale. 1/8th will be mega expensive to deal with for beginner stuff

Okay, then, 1:10. Whats a good kit with upgrade paths/lots of support and isnt a pos?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I would suggest maybe a Tamiya TT or DF Chassis rally car would fit your needs as an all-rounder/first "real" RC car.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 19, 2013

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Is there any good writeup/whatever that will tell me exactly everything I am going to need to buy to build one of these things, or is literally everything included in these 'kits?' Sorry, I;m a retard, but gotta start somewhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Most kits are the body & chassis of the car, a cheap motor, and maybe a speed controller. You will need some simple tools (e.g. a screwdriver), a radio set (transmitter, receiver, steering servo), a speed controller if you didn't get one in the kit, paint for the bodyshell, battery pack and charger for the car, batteries for the transmitter. Most shops will do you a combo bundle with a kit so you get everything you need bar some AA-size cells for the transmitter and the paint.

A reason I recommended Tamiya is that their kits are really easy to build and generally good quality.

Edit: Do you have an approximate budget?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 19, 2013

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Most kits are the body & chassis of the car, a cheap motor, and maybe a speed controller. You will need some simple tools (e.g. a screwdriver), a radio set (transmitter, receiver, steering servo), a speed controller if you didn't get one in the kit, paint for the bodyshell, battery pack and charger for the car, batteries for the transmitter. Most shops will do you a combo bundle with a kit so you get everything you need bar some AA-size cells for the transmitter and the paint.

A reason I recommended Tamiya is that their kits are really easy to build and generally good quality.

Edit: Do you have an approximate budget?

Let's say $500 I want to get something nice, y'know

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, ok, that's actually more than I thought you were considering. Some of the more experienced guys here can probably give you better advice than I at that price point, but I was thinking that under $400 all-in would get you something like one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZES4&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYHY4&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYVS1&P=0

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Method Loser posted:

Is there any good writeup/whatever that will tell me exactly everything I am going to need to buy to build one of these things, or is literally everything included in these 'kits?' Sorry, I;m a retard, but gotta start somewhere.

When you say 'kit', that could mean a build-it-yourself kit or a Ready to Run (RTR) kit. $500 can take you a long way in either direction. If you're going to build a kit you'll need to budget at least $50-60 or more for decent tools (that will last you you entire RC career, tbh).

1/10th is definitely the way to go, it's the most popular size, and with on-road you can get a million different bodies, tires, wheels, light sets, all sorts of things.

As far as brands, Tamiya is always a good bet until you decide to add every option part they have, then it really starts to add up, HPI (full disclosure, I work for HPI) is good but options can be limited for the on-road beginner-level stuff. Kyosho is decent but doesn't have much support in most shops I think, Traxxas is really popular and they aim at customers wanting all-out top speed, but I don't know what their 1/10th on-road selection is like.

Some companies like HPI include battery, charger, AAs for the transmitter, the whole shebang in the RTR kits. Others require you to provide the battery and charger, so do a little research and don't necessarily buy the first thing you see. If you go for a self-build kit you'll need motor, speed control and radio gear as well, which can eat up your budget fast if you decide to get a radio that's just a bit better, a speed controller that's just a bit better, etc.

Definitely your best 'bang for your buck', especially if you're not sure you're going to stick with RC as a hobby, is to get an RTR car or truck. If you put it on a shelf after driving it twice and never touch it again, you can at least get a good chunk of your money back. You can do the same with a kit you've built, but you'll probably lose more money on it if you sell it in one lot, and it's a lot of hassle to take it apart and sell all the parts separately.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tamiya's newer stuff is ok, but they have a lot of kits that I think are annoying if you don't have nostalgic attachment to them, due largely to needing lots of upgrades to be on par with more modern kits. Stuff like friction dampers and lots of bushings.

That money could get you into an HPI WR8, which is a pretty awesome 1/8 scale rally car. For 1/10 rally I love my Tamiya XV-01, it's a much newer design than the DF-03, but it'd probably cost nearly as much as the rtr wr8 once you have electronics in it.

powderific fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 20, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Method Loser posted:

The RC Tech forums https://www.rctech.net are a very good place for information. Thankfully the forums there aren't full of retards and whitenoise posters, so you get quite a bit of information.

Tamiya have released the XV series which will suit your requirements perfectly - it can run on road and off road without any issues:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/4wd-rally-on-road-(xv)-36180

There are plenty of online RC stores like A Main Hobbies and Speedtech RC that will do the kits way cheaper than what Tamiya have advertised.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Forgot to mention, I want no RTR. half the point of this is me building it is something to do. So Ill have to buy tools/remotes/whatever. I mean 500s not a hard limit, I can go higher if theres something real cool. Keep in mind, while mechanically inclined, I know 0 about RC stuff and have no idea what gidgets make these run.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those Tamiya kits are usually not RTR, so you need to make sure you have lexan paint (Tamiya sells small cans of it), lexan scissors to cut out the shell and phillips head screw drivers.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you get a Tamiya kit get a JIS style screwdriver too. Hozan makes cheap ones; I picked up a ball grip version and the quality seems good enough.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Is there any primer online for people that know nothing and want to get into this? I have no idea what lexan paint or scissors or why Id want a JIS screwdriver, and I dont think this thread needs me posting hundreds of dumb questions.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Method Loser posted:

Is there any primer online for people that know nothing and want to get into this? I have no idea what lexan paint or scissors or why Id want a JIS screwdriver, and I dont think this thread needs me posting hundreds of dumb questions.

In each of the Tamiya manuals they have a list of what tools you need: http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Method Loser posted:

Ask the questions, it's fine. You can download the manuals for cars that look interesting to you, but unfortunately because this is a 'hobby' with loads of different disciplines (off-road, on-road, electric, nitro, gas, a dozen different scales and then specialized genres like crawler, drifter, etc.) it can be difficult to get all possible questions answered in one place.

Lexan paint is paint designed for the clear plastic bodies that self-build kits come with. The bodies are clear and are painted from the inside, which protects the paint from scratches and damage. Because the plastic is polycarbonate (GM Lexan is the brand name, it's basically the same stuff bulletproof glass is made of) you need special Lexan paint, which is flexible and doesn't crack. Body scissors are short, sharp scissors that are curved that are easier to use to cut out RC bodies than long straight scissors are.

JIS screwdriver is for the Japanese screws Tamiya uses - you can use a normal Philips screwdriver but you won't get as much 'purchase' or grip with it. You'll need a #1 (small) and a #2 (large) Philips if you get a kit that uses Philips screws. Kits use either Philips screws or hex/Allen head screws (most use hex). Hex head sizes are usually 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and maybe 3mm for 1/10th scale kits.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Method Loser posted:

You can also buy painted tops if you don't have the patience or area to paint it. I used to paint my bodies (poorly) in my garage but I live in a 10th floor condo in a very urban area now so I just by them painted.

For Tamiya stuff you want that JIS driver because Tamiya uses those bolts in their R/C stuff. You might get away with it but more than likely you're going to strip out bolts either trying to get them off or torque them properly.

I don't think anybody in the thread minds if you post a million questions.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So I recently took the plunge to try out r/c drifting. I got a great deal on an HPI Sprint 2 drift and cleaned out my entire basement (to my wifes delight) to have a good spot. I drove the car stock and found it merely ok. I decided to lock the rear diff and this started bringing out the fun in the car, but I still found it a pain to handle. I decided to just go "all in" and purchased a front one-way diff in the hopes it would make the car more fun to drive....and yeah, holy poo poo. The car is a BLAST to drive now and we are building an actual track in my basement. I can't believe how much of a difference the one way makes. The car is now extremely controllable and drifts with ease.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
RC drifting is loving awesome.

Get some dirt in your basement and do RC rallycross!!!!!

I could watch RC drifting youtube videos all day.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's something about RC drifting that is terribly...therapeutic once you've got a good surface, tires and setup :)

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
drifting is why I got into this hobby, so much fun, so chill.

counter-steer drifting even more fun once you get the hang of it.

this has probably been posted a few times but its one of the best rc drift vids i ever seen on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTZKKrI1kQ

Jealous that you have the space to make a nice scale drift track colonelJohnMatrix, glad you are enjoying it so far. I think just about every drifter uses a front one way now, Yokomo's drift cars have them as standard in their kits.

My Yokomo DIB should be here in a few weeks. :3:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFtxBa1W4A

I want to build a track like this so bad. I know I've posted vids of my cyclone S drifter a while back. I have an unbuilt AE86 treuno Cup Racer new in box that will be a project this winter. :)

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFtxBa1W4A

I want to build a track like this so bad. I know I've posted vids of my cyclone S drifter a while back. I have an unbuilt AE86 treuno Cup Racer new in box that will be a project this winter. :)

awesome track, If i could ever afford to own a shop with a carpet drift track i would be a happy man, Enjoy the cup racer they are a fun little cars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

RC Drift is ok, but drat some of the drivers are loving dickheads. I remember them coming into my friend's work (hobby shop) begging for sponsorship. Most of them didn't know what they were doing and were blowing up high end ESCs almost weekly.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

RC Drift is ok, but drat some of the drivers are loving dickheads. I remember them coming into my friend's work (hobby shop) begging for sponsorship. Most of them didn't know what they were doing and were blowing up high end ESCs almost weekly.

I think any type of r/c'er who is the type to beg for sponsorship is probably also an rear end in a top hat...but yeah, I can totally see that being the case with drifters. One of the reasons I stayed away from it for so long is that the guys around here that do it are arrogant guys that run around with neon lights on their honda civics. When I posted in a local forum about what I should get, I was warned by one of them to stay away from the HPI sprint because it was "total loving garbage". My sprint is just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

HoWSeR posted:

awesome track, If i could ever afford to own a shop with a carpet drift track i would be a happy man, Enjoy the cup racer they are a fun little cars.

Oh I certainly will, I already own a Datsun 510. My company bought the remaining AE86's from HPI when they disco'd the cup racers and I bought our second to last one. A local hobby shop in town has the 240Z kit in stock still (where I worked in high school) and said he'd sell it to me for $120 so I'll probably buy it next month.