Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tebow sounds like a scared child when he talks. His phrasing and cadence is just incredibly awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

MourningView posted:

He's not on college gameday so that's pretty impressive! I assume they were talking about Chris Fowler, who is also really good at his job.
My bad :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I got really annoyed with how much the Fox announcers were harping on the Eagles for not snapping the ball with 1 second left on the playclock in their win on Sunday against Arizona.

Apparently Jimmy Kempski from Philly.com also got annoyed and wrote up a great FJM-style takedown of the announcing crew's idiocy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...management.html

Jimmy Kempski posted:

During the 4th quarter of the Eagles' win over the Arizona Cardinals, Chip Kelly's offense had 4 drives. They mustered just 45 yards on those drives, three of which ended in punts. Kelly was profusely criticized for his clock management by the FOX broadcast team of Kenny Albert ("Kenny"), Daryl Johnston ("Moose"), and Tony Siragusa ("Goose"), or... "Kenny, Moose and Goose."

Their beef with Chip was that he wasn't letting the play clock run all the way down before snapping the ball, thus wasting the opportunity to milk as much time off the clock as possible.

Before we get into their actual commentary, let's jump in the "way back machine" to Week 10 in Green Bay, where the Eagles executed one of the best clock killing drives I've ever seen. In that game, the Eagles ran 16 plays (including 3 kneel downs), which burned off 9:32 to secure the win. The Eagles did not huddle once during that drive, nor did they let the clock wind down to 1 second on the play clock until they were in kneel down mode.

The drive was immensely successful, so nobody bothered to wonder why the Eagles weren't letting the play clock run down to 1 before they snapped the ball. In fact, there were 11 plays on that drive in which the Eagles came up to the line with the clock running. Here is how many seconds were left on the clock when the Eagles snapped the ball on each of those plays:
More coverage

5, 6, 4, 2, 4, 4, 4, 4, 10, 7, 8.

That's an average of 5.3 seconds left on the play clock for each snap. But why would Chip Kelly not take advantage of running off every last second? He was asked about that after the Eagles-Cardinals game.

"We were just trying to get the proper looks," said Kelly. "I think there was going to be plenty of time if we didn't convert in those situations."

Frankly, I have no idea what that even means, but I think I can translate. I believe Kelly was saying "None of your business, Holmes."

There are advantages to not letting the play clock run all the way down to 1. If you let it run down to 1 on every play in clock killing mode, the defense knows exactly when to fire off the ball to stop your run game. If you mix it up, the defense has no idea when you're going to snap it, which keeps them on their heels. One of the great advantages any offense in football has is knowing when the ball will be snapped, while the defense doesn't. By telling the defense exactly when you're snapping the ball, that's a major equalizer. That may sound like "Football 101," and it is.

The one play from that drive against the Packers that really stands out was when they snapped the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock. On that play, look at RDE B.J. Raji. The snap is already in Nick Foles' hands out of the shutgun, and Raji isn't even out of his stance yet:

Lane Johnson drives him 4 yards down the field, opening up a huge hole for LeSean McCoy:

McCoy got 9 yards on the play.

Raji wasn't ready for the ball to be snapped because he was expecting the Eagles to burn clock, and instead of milking an additional 9 seconds off the clock, they were able to burn more than an extra minute and a half by getting a first down, and thus, 4 more plays. The sacrifice of those extra 9 seconds, in this case, was worth the reward.

Fast forward to last Sunday against the Cardinals. The FOX broadcast team of "Kenny, Moose, and Goose" began their criticism of this approach as early as the 11:50 mark in the 4th quarter, with the Eagles up by 10. It all began with Siragusa:

Goose: "I understand how you want to have your offense come out and keep the pace up, but you have to go and work (the clock) right here. That’s gotta be one thing that you need to do, and right now, Nick Foles… I mean he still has 18 seconds on the clock and they’re ready to snap it. They’ve got to use that time to take it off the clock so Arizona doesn’t have a chance to go and get more possessions."

They actually snapped the ball with 10 seconds left on the play clock here, but whatever. With almost 12 minutes left in the game, it's very nitpicky to start in with the clock management when there's a lot of ballgame left.

Goose's initial salvo stuck in Moose's head, who was all over Chip Kelly on the next drive, which began with 8:32 left on the clock, which again, is still a lot of time:

Moose: "I think Tony made a good point on the last drive. The time on the clock, the play clock below there, where you see 23 (seconds) counting down right now, that’s the play clock. And they were snapping it at :18 last time. It looks like they’re slowing down a little bit, but I think that that’s a point, Tony, where they have to keep an eye on that and take that down a little bit further."

Again, they snapped it with 10 secons left on the play clock during the previous drive, not 18, but let's ignore what actually happened.

On the next set of downs, Kenny Albert chimed in, in what almost seems like something they planned on talking about during the commercial break.

Kenny: "Since the Eagles’ last touchdown early in the 3rd quarter, 4 possessions, 4 punts, including two 3-and-outs."

Moose: "And that’s what Chip Kelly will talk about. He’ll talk about those first 2 that were 3-and-outs, because he talked to Tony coming back onto the field for the 2nd half. We’ve got to eliminate those 3-and-outs. And if you do that, yeah, you are going to possess the ball for another series, but I think that there’s still a thought process that you have to go through in specific situations."

The funny thing here is that Moose actually seems to understand the strategy of first downs being more important than milking a few extra seconds, but just sort of criticizes it anyway without any actual rebuttal.

And then Goose chimed in:

Goose: "Let’s see what they do right here. The offensive line is on the line of scrimmage right now. The play clock is at 27, counting down, and they have to use this whole play clock. If they wanna go and dwindle this clock down, Arizona has no time to come back. They have to… dwindle it down."

What Goose was seeing here was the Eagles lining up quickly, but taking their time before they snapped. All this really does is give the offense a long look at what the defense is showing, but Goose immeditely went into freak out mode because it looked like they might snap it early.

On this particular play, they tried to catch the Cardinals off guard, by quick snapping it with 12 seconds left on the play clock.

Kenny: "They’ll snap with 12 seconds remaining on the play clock."

This was the play in which Nick Foles was intercepted, but there was a penalty, which stopped the clock. This seemed to be lost on "Kenny," who on the next play had this say:

Kenny: "Now the snap comes with 7 left on the play clock."

Uh... It didn't really matter whether there was 7 seconds, 1 second, or 58 seconds. The clock was already stopped.

Then Kenny on the next play, as if it's now a fun game:

Kenny: "We’ll see how much time the Eagles take here before snapping the football on second down. Play clock still at…"

Goose (interrupting): "This boggles my mind. I don’t know, Daryl. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Why aren’t they wasting the clock away?"

Here, Goose was once again not understanding at all what the Eagles were doing. The Eagles were in no-huddle, but certainly not "hurry up." They were getting up to the line so that they could see what defensive look the Cardinals would show:

This caused Goose to basically go "OMFG... THEY'RE GOING TO SNAP IT WITH LIKE 80 SECONDS LEFT!!!!!!!"

But the Eagles were in no hurry at all. Above you can see that they are set, but then they look to the sideline to get the play call after having seen how the Cards lined up. I mean... Does this look like an offense that's in a hurry?

Kenny: "Now they kill some time. Play clock down to 10. Snap with 5 (left)."

OK, so the Eagles snapped it with 5 seconds left on the clock. That should satisfy everyone, right?

Moose: "I think in this situation, Tony, along with what you’re saying, it’s also just bringing your offense off the line of scrimmage to kind of that sugar huddle area and then breaking to the line of scrimmage. You know, at a certain point, as you allow that clock to go down."

Oh, so the Eagles haven't huddled all year, because it isn't necessary, but now you want them to huddle instead of lining up and seeing what the Cardinals' defense will show? Makes sense.

What say you, Goose?

Goose: "Yeah, you’re helping your defense too."

Yep. Those 4 extra seconds are really going to give the defense the added rest they so sorely need!

Ladies and gentlemen, the #2 broadcast team on FOX.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So we're less than 2 months away from the Winter Olympics. And with it comes the usual complaints about not showing stuff live in America. However, this time, NBC says NBCSN is going to show live figure skating every day:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/december/nbcsn-to-present-unprecedented-live-figure-skating-team-usa-hockey-during-the-olympics.html

Considering that's usually the biggest ratings draw in the Winter Olympics, it's quite the move.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It sure was fun having to watch hockey on tape delay in 2010 even though the events were happening in my own loving time zone.

Welcome to the 21st Century, NBC. We've been missing you.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Vertical Lime posted:

So we're less than 2 months away from the Winter Olympics. And with it comes the usual complaints about not showing stuff live in America. However, this time, NBC says NBCSN is going to show live figure skating every day:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/december/nbcsn-to-present-unprecedented-live-figure-skating-team-usa-hockey-during-the-olympics.html

Considering that's usually the biggest ratings draw in the Winter Olympics, it's quite the move.

If they don't everyone who really cares will use streams and the US is probably only getting one medal (ice dance) so it's less exciting than usual. The US is not even remotely competitive in men and pairs and getting a medal in the ladies event is very unlikely.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Also, anyone in northern border towns will have great coverage on CBC. That will be another option, and likely the preferred option, for a lot of us.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
We don't normally talk about stuff we love, but I really love Real Sports on HBO. And Frank DeFord is one of my favorite.

What is the consensus on Real Sports and DeFord?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

We don't normally talk about stuff we love, but I really love Real Sports on HBO. And Frank DeFord is one of my favorite.

They trashed the living poo poo out of E-Sports the other night so they're all okay by me.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

They trashed the living poo poo out of E-Sports the other night so they're all okay by me.

I saw a clip of this, it was pretty embarrassing for everyone in the room. You can make fun of the e-sports crowd for a lot of things, but clumsily musing how many of the players go to Star Trek conventions just reveals how exceptionally old and/or whitebread you are

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/december/espn-will-cover-the-bcs-title-game-like-it-s-the-last-ever-sporting-event-on-earth.html

gently caress ESPN, but is it bad I find this cool as hell?

quote:

ESPN: Traditional game coverage with Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit.

ESPN2: “BCS Title Talk”

"will allow fans to eavesdrop on the casual and organic conversations of ESPN college football analysts and special guests such as coaches, players and celebrities discussing the game from an on-site room. On-screen graphics will incorporate game statistics and information as well as a “social stripe” that will provide live social media feedback throughout the telecast."

ESPNEWS: “BCS Film Room” on ESPNEWS

"will feature ESPN experts as well as guest coaches and players providing in-depth X and O analysis of the game as it happens from a film room equipped with multiple camera angles and touchscreens."

ESPN Classic: “Sounds of the BCS”

"presentation featuring only the natural sounds of the game. The telecast will couple ESPN’s on-screen game coverage with the audio originating from numerous microphones located within the stands, field and more as well as the in-stadium sound system. Classic’s coverage will include the halftime performances of the Florida State and Auburn marching bands."

ESPN Goal Line: “BCS Command Center”

"will provide a split screen application with live game action and immediate replays of every play. The coverage will use the ESPN Radio broadcast call and incorporate live game statistics on the screen."

ESPN3: Auburn and Florida State radio feeds

"The Florida State- and Auburn-specific coverage will feature the team’s home radio broadcast with an on-screen presentation providing fans with the game feed plus isolated cameras on key coaches and players from that team. The coverage will include the halftime performances of the Florida State and Auburn marching bands."

ESPN3: “BCS Campus Connection”

"will showcase live fan reactions from various watch parties within the home markets of Auburn and Florida State into the game coverage."

ESPN3: “BCS SpiderCam"

"Fans will be able to watch the entire game from the above stadium camera angle"

These are the type of things I'd love to see included in a Super Bowl telecast, and a whole number of other events.

For example? I'm a HUGE Indy 500 fan. You couldn't tell me it'd be amazing to see ESPN go all out on and cover such things as a crew covering the pits, in-cars, and various other camera angles. Same with Daytona, The Final Four and any other event you could toss out at me.

In terms of the "Radio" thing, I've been waiting for that for the longest time. If the NFL were to ever do that, I'd be more than willing to pay "x-amount of money" to have that package on my television.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God I wish I had ESPN News on my cable package. That live tape breakdown sounds awesome.

In other "ESPN Does a Good Thing" news, they picked up the Arena Football rights for 2014. This is good news for both sides--the AFL is desperate to get back on the map after a disastrous decade, and ESPN has some football methadone for the NFL offseason. I'm interested to see how this works out.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

In terms of the "Radio" thing, I've been waiting for that for the longest time. If the NFL were to ever do that, I'd be more than willing to pay "x-amount of money" to have that package on my television.

Yeah the radio thing would be amazing as a Titans fan.

I would love to hear the natural sounds of the game thing too in hockey, everybody's been saying that for years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leokitty posted:

If they don't everyone who really cares will use streams and the US is probably only getting one medal (ice dance) so it's less exciting than usual. The US is not even remotely competitive in men and pairs and getting a medal in the ladies event is very unlikely.

Yeah but Everyone's Mom is still gonna watch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Am I the only person who thinks it's weird ESPNU is not participating in this?

Why wouldn't the Sounds of the BCS telecast be on ESPNU instead of an SD-only channel? The hell is ESPNU airing that's so important?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It's been a long time since I checked it, but doesn't NFL Network show scores with the audio from the radio broadcasts during the Sunday afternoon games?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Mahoning posted:

I love everything Frank DeFord has ever done -- even his NPR sound-bite columns -- and it's kind of sad that he's quietly fading into the sunset.

But, more to your point, Real Sports owns.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

MourningView posted:

Yeah but Everyone's Mom is still gonna watch.

Everyone's Mom doesn't know how to find online streams for live action, they would just tune in at whatever scheduled time like they always have.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

God I wish I had ESPN News on my cable package. That live tape breakdown sounds awesome.

I know I have it but I have no loving clue what channel it's on. I will most assuredly be watching that version, though.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Live tape breakdown seems kind of cool but it won't be narrated by a gambling addicted pervert, so pass.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GUESS WHO'S JOINING ESPN

And don't worry, if an NFL team comes a-callin', there is an out-clause in his contract.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope his contract includes a restraining order against Skip Bayless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

GUESS WHO'S JOINING ESPN

And don't worry, if an NFL team comes a-callin', there is an out-clause in his contract.
I get the feeling the ESPN's going to want an out clause.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's the tentative list of hosts/announcers for the Winter Olympics

http://fangsbites.com/2014/01/nbcs-announcers-and-hosts-for-the-2014-sochi-olympics/

As expected, Michelle Beadle is nowhere to be found, although I'm looking forward to Rebecca Lowe's expanded role. She's done a great job on EPL coverage. I'm less looking forward to Lauer and Viera on the Opening Ceremony again, they were awful in London.

E: Different Randy Moss, but that would've been hilarious.

Benne fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 6, 2014

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Benne posted:

Randy Moss is a reporter for Nordic and ski jumping :psyduck:

It's not that Randy Moss

Ted Robinson should be fortunate the Super Bowl is in Jersey if the Niners make it that far.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If anybody's into bobsledding, Leigh Diffey could make a reading of the phone book own hard, so you're set there.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

CBJSprague24 posted:

If anybody's into bobsledding, Leigh Diffey could make a reading of the phone book own hard, so you're set there.

Bobsled is literally the number one reason to watch the winter games, so good.

Gookzilla
Apr 3, 2003

Hate motivates

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

But, more to your point, Real Sports owns.
Real Sports almost justifies the price of HBO alone. If you ever want a case of mental whiplash, watch an episode of Real Sports, then watch an episode of the hilariously over-produced, ridiculously dumb E:60. Every time I see that goofy fake "production meeting" section of E:60 I almost let out a guffaw, and then the laughs keep rolling when they get to the actual stories where they're posing the subjects in these weird, artsy-fartsy/symbolic camera shots and have interviews with 18 different camera angles edited together.

An entire season of E:60 couldn't match the drama of the last 15 seconds of Bernie Goldberg's interview with Mike Tyson on Real Sports. You were watching a man slip into this whole other place inside his mind and it was fascinating and terrifying all at once.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gookzilla posted:

An entire season of E:60 couldn't match the drama of the last 15 seconds of Bernie Goldberg's interview with Mike Tyson on Real Sports. You were watching a man slip into this whole other place inside his mind and it was fascinating and terrifying all at once.

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyrNrAws6pA&t=645s

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, Megacast review?

-ESPN broadcast

Was good as usual. There was thankfully not a lot of Brent hounding over some hot chick in the stands, and it was much better this go around. If the rumors are true about Musburger retiring, it'll be kind of sad without him there.

-"Sounds of the BCS"

I felt it was an interesting concept, but the follow through wasn't very good. I tuned in to see the Half Time show, and found it kept getting interrupted by commercials. That was close to 90% of the reason I wanted to tune into watch it. Also it wasn't made available in HD, which itself prevented me from really tuning in all that much.

-"Film Room"

Excellent idea, and excellent follow through. The only thing that can truly be criticized for it is to have Matt Millen within the broadcast, but regardless, great idea.

-“BCS Command Center”

Interesting concept. found the ability to have stats flash on the screen an intriguing idea, and something like this would DEFINITELY be great for something like Monday Night Football. Not too sure how thrilled the NFL would be with it though.

-#titletalk

I saw several people in the NCAA thread describe it as being a big, live, podcast. I felt that this particular channel was at it's best when it was using Rece Davis as an "Anchor" of sorts. Having Tebow and Manziel together was rather interesting, and felt that made for an interesting watch. Cheyrl Hines was kind of an "iffy" get, but I feel if you tooled this particular version to cater towards the "casual" fan (IE,"Football for Dummies"-type), that it could go rather well.

Overall it felt like a great idea, and I very much enjoyed it. A few bugs here and there, but I think ESPN may have stumbled onto something that could prove to be revolutionary.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
From what little I saw of the Coaches it seemed real solid, guys who have an active role in the game and have some clue what they're talking about. I feel like it could have used an NFL guy in there to maybe let us know who we should be keeping an eye on that aren't skill position players, such as when Auburn #73 (e- Greg Robinson let me pretend I know what I'm talking about)made the block on I think the first Auburn touchdown. Millen is not that person because gently caress Matt Millen.

And if Musburger is retiring than they'll just move Brad Nessler to the A team and pair him with Herbstreit and if you've played NCAA in the past decade you won't notice a thing. Nessler's real solid and everything will be fine. I wonder who would become the #2 then, move Davis into that role and away from May/Holtzzzzzzzz?

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 7, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna give Matt a little benefit of the doubt here because last night he was better than anything he's done in the booth in the last 8 years. He's still not spectacular or anything but he seemed pretty comfortable and more in his element.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I want to see them do the Film Room concept for baseball. I tried to watch but as a casual it was like listening to a foreign language.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Speaking of HBO Sports, "State of Play: Trophy Kids" premiered like a month ago but I didn't see it until the other day. Basically it follows four psychopath parents who push their kids way too hard to succeed at sports. It's a really uncomfortable watch, particularly when the football kid's father is berating his son in the car (two separate times).

This is the trailer where Peter Berg explains a bit more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIvsMZhuz8&t=645s

I don't mind the tough love, rub-some-dirt-on-it attitude in sports because I do feel like it serves a purpose at times, but a lot of this straight up mental abuse.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

I'm gonna give Matt a little benefit of the doubt here because last night he was better than anything he's done in the booth in the last 8 years. He's still not spectacular or anything but he seemed pretty comfortable and more in his element.

He did okay except he kept pointing to the screen instead of using his telestrator which got on my nerves

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I could only watch Spidercam for a few minutes before I wished that's how all football looked all the time and got sad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd pay for ESPN to do Draft Room with Matt Millen where you can watch a special feed of Millen with draft magnets looking befuddled and lunging for wide receivers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Whatever was on ESPNNEWS was really cool and felt like a DVD commentary for a football game. The thing on ESPN2 with Johnny Manziel talking about some guy's abs (this did happen) felt like a bit of a cluster.

Ace Jameson posted:

Speaking of HBO Sports, "State of Play: Trophy Kids" premiered like a month ago but I didn't see it until the other day. Basically it follows four psychopath parents who push their kids way too hard to succeed at sports. It's a really uncomfortable watch, particularly when the football kid's father is berating his son in the car (two separate times).

This is the trailer where Peter Berg explains a bit more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIvsMZhuz8&t=645s

I don't mind the tough love, rub-some-dirt-on-it attitude in sports because I do feel like it serves a purpose at times, but a lot of this straight up mental abuse.

There are some vile people (I call them "civic parents") on this planet. I know a guy in my hometown who desperately wanted his son to be a high school starting QB. When he didn't get the middle school starting job, he was moved to another school, then another, then another, until he finally wound up at a school where he probably only made it because they needed a QB.

Also, one of the football coaches from a local school had twins a few years ago with his girlfriend. It's been widely said that he doesn't want anything to do with the daughter because she'll never play football.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

There are some vile people (I call them "civic parents") on this planet. I know a guy in my hometown who desperately wanted his son to be a high school starting QB. When he didn't get the middle school starting job, he was moved to another school, then another, then another, until he finally wound up at a school where he probably only made it because they needed a QB.

Also, one of the football coaches from a local school had twins a few years ago with his girlfriend. It's been widely said that he doesn't want anything to do with the daughter because she'll never play football.

This isn't broadcast-related, but deserves mentioning. Any talk of psychotic sports parents and what it does to the kids needs mention of the Esquire article on Todd Marinovich from several years ago. If you haven't read it yet, definitely take the time to, especially in relation to this chat about kids and sports. It's fantastic, and terribly sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

warheadr posted:

This isn't broadcast-related, but deserves mentioning. Any talk of psychotic sports parents and what it does to the kids needs mention of the Esquire article on Todd Marinovich from several years ago. If you haven't read it yet, definitely take the time to, especially in relation to this chat about kids and sports. It's fantastic, and terribly sad.

The ESPN doc on Marinovich is pretty good (it's on Netflix).