Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DrVenkman posted:

Psych does what it does well. It's utterly disposable but doesn't strive to me anything more. It's just a fun little show with some great chemistry between the leads and some comedic banter. It doesn't always land, and to be honest it's gone on a little too long now, but it's easy viewing.

In another news, finally made it onto Person of Interest Season 3. Man, Season 2 was pretty awesome. Again that's another show that knows what it wants to do and just does it. It knows where its strengths lie and they found a way to write around Jim Caveziel (I don't think he's in for some Anna Torv-esque turn around soon).
Nah, Caveizel has fun in the role I'd like to think and they got over that hump pretty quickly in S1, except everytime you think Reese has finally settled into everything the writers go and punish him for trying to be happy (see: the endgame arc this season and then the followup episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Psych is far too inoffensive to hate. That's like "hating" Monk.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spatula City posted:

I don't hate Psych, but I just don't have much tolerance anymore for shows that make light of murder. It's why I hate Bones and will never watch Castle. It's not like a murder investigation show can't have a sense of humor, but with these shows, death has no gravity, no reality. It's merely another punchline. People mock the Horatio Caine one-liners from CSI: Miami, but sometimes I feel those shows are entirely composed of that. That, and overwrought relationship drama.

If that means you also hate Dead Like Me or Pushing Daisies then we have nothing to talk about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

If that means you also hate Dead Like Me or Pushing Daisies then we have nothing to talk about.

Yeah seriously. The implications of death can be a great subject for humor.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Spatula City posted:

I don't hate Psych, but I just don't have much tolerance anymore for shows that make light of murder. It's why I hate Bones and will never watch Castle. It's not like a murder investigation show can't have a sense of humor, but with these shows, death has no gravity, no reality. It's merely another punchline. People mock the Horatio Caine one-liners from CSI: Miami, but sometimes I feel those shows are entirely composed of that. That, and overwrought relationship drama.

This means you don't like Murder, She Wrote and this is a hanging offense.

But for a serious answer, while Psych is one thing (because it is basically a comedy) I disagree about Bones / Castle etc. Death for them may be incidental to their goal - the interpersonal relationships of the people who gather together to solve crimes - it's not a means to a pumchline. It's the central idea around which a group forms. That still might not be to your taste but they don't make a joke out of murder. And for the record I don't watch Castle or Bones.

I personally prefer the Law and Orders or Elementarys or Sherlocks or Magnum PIs where the body is basically a prop for the rest of the story compared to shows where it delights in the savagery of the killing. Bones kind of falls into the latter, but I'm more thinking of things like Criminal Minds, later CSI or even Hannibal (though that at least is trying to make something more profound). It's not like there isn't room in the world for all kinds of media but the way that some shows glorify the dying part is much more distasteful to me than the ones that simply use murder as a catalyst.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Sophia posted:

This means you don't like Murder, She Wrote and this is a hanging offense.

Hey... No death jokes. They're not funny. :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sophia posted:

And for the record I don't watch Castle or Bones.

I watched Castle for three seasons or so, and there are jokes but it was never mean-spirited and it wasn't really "death as a punchline," or at least it didn't seem that way to me. Overwrought relationship drama I'll give you, along with a tendency to indulge in "serious business" sweeps-weeks episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spatula City posted:

If you read the book Homicide A year on the Killing Street he gets into this. He says that murder cops have a really dark sense of humor thats full of gallow humor. It is the only way that they can stay sane in their job. They actually bring this up in an episode of Homicide with Robin Williams. His wife is killed and he overhears one of the cops make a joke and he flips out saying its disrespectful. He is eventully calmed down by Gee who explains its the only way that they can survive in their job.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Spatula City posted:

Those shows don't really make light of murder, save for Psych. But Psych makes light of everything. It's literally a show about a guy who doesn't want to grow up and is defrauding the Santa Barbara police department.

Bones has been crappy for a long time, but its mostly because every time there is a conflict, everything is going to be fine in the end with that god awful doop de doo cutesy music in their cutesy world with their precious interns where the only bad things that happen are the murders they investigate. Even then, those murders are 'great' because it gives them an excuse to perform their Rube Goldberg autopsies.

Castle usually creates straw characters the main characters can riff off of, or Richard's pulpy conspiracy theories.

Given the choice? I'd rather be forced to watch Bones than some Law & Order 'realistic' show where we have to put up with 'ripped from the headlines' poo poo, the constant droning 'dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn' noise that plays throughout the entire show, and their just world poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spatula City posted:

I find it hard to comprehend being offended by something making light of the murders of make believe people, not that that's what many of those shows even do. The only exception are those "ripped from the headlines" episodes that L&O did (does? is that show even on anymore?) which are pretty gross and exploitative. But those are a far cry from something like Weekend at Bernie's.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gently caress
YES

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

gently caress
YES

:allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know, I can understand it. I don't personally have a problem with shows like Psych, Castle, or even Brooklyn Nine Nine that build comedy around murder and crime but I can see why that might bother you. I agree that if it was more of a direct reference to specific tragedies or issues than it would be more difficult to take, but since its just random fictional people in random fictional acts it doesn't really resonate as actual human pain or suffering to me. Especially since so often they're not even real characters, just ones that get introduced and killed in the same scene at most. Because I think you'd agree that the death of an established character can actually be a powerful emotional tool in storytelling.

I think that's what made Law & Order SVU so different and powerful when it debuted. So much of the show was about living victims you followed and got to know for an hour. Its right there in the name. A corpse is just a corpse that can be easily used as a plot tool but if you create a living victim and spend time fleshing them out and showing us their pain that's tough to take.

That's what makes Criminal Minds so creepy to me. Its a full head first dive into that pain and anguish of often living victims, often presented as they're in the act of being victimized. And while SVU sometimes offered some degree of recovery or healing none of the Criminal Minds episodes I've watched seem to have anything beyond catching/killing the psychopath knowing there was a new one ready for next week.

But if you're sensitive enough to be offended by Psych making light of murder. Well I can't really say you're wrong to feel that way. Obviously you're more sensitive than I am but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Its probably safe to say I'm more sensitive than the average "DEATH METAL!" Spartacus viewer or something.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress
YES

Beautiful. I love how the show intentionally uses and subverts the imagery and material of other iterations of Hannibal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress
YES

Yessss YESSSS.

I'm even more excited about that February 28 date.

E: Ooh and it's on Friday this year, so now I can actually watch it live!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are those face guards a real thing? And why would Will have it? I don't think he eats people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Are those face guards a real thing? And why would Will have it? I don't think he eats people.

They exist but really are mostly about spitting/biting on guards.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

It's usually to keep violent inmates from spitting or biting or the like, or people prone to fits from doing the same.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Inmate, huh. Interesting.

I think that Hannibal poster might have semi-spoiled the end of season 1. Not that I care too much I suppose, if I did I'd already have watched it by now. I really should finish watching it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don't tell us if it did. I've been meaning to watch Hannibal and I'm a little scared of that myself. So from here on out I'll be reading this thread like this.

lalalalalalalalalacan'thearyoulalalalalalalala

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

STAC Goat posted:

Don't tell us if it did. I've been meaning to watch Hannibal and I'm a little scared of that myself. So from here on out I'll be reading this thread like this.

lalalalalalalalalacan'thearyoulalalalalalalala

Have you seen Manhunter or Red Dragon? I don't think there's anything really shocking if you did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its totally just a metaphor for how Will was driven crazy by Hannibal and committed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you seen Manhunter or Red Dragon? I don't think there's anything really shocking if you did.

I have seen Red Dragon but I actually don't remember it at all. That's actually part of why I haven't watched Hannibal yet. I kind of wanted to rewatch Silence of the Lambs and check out the sequels with it. But I never found the time for all that and everyone says the sequels are terrible and it just got pushed back and back. Now I'm firmly in "I might get spoiled randomly be people who mean no harm but expect me to either no care or be caught up, including Season 2 advertisement" territory.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I have seen Red Dragon but I actually don't remember it at all. That's actually part of why I haven't watched Hannibal yet. I kind of wanted to rewatch Silence of the Lambs and check out the sequels with it. But I never found the time for all that and everyone says the sequels are terrible and it just got pushed back and back. Now I'm firmly in "I might get spoiled randomly be people who mean no harm but expect me to either no care or be caught up, including Season 2 advertisement" territory.

Forget all those ideas about watching movies and just plow through the TV show instead. It's better and then you won't have to worry about spoilers.

E: In fact everyone do this. Everyone watch Hannibal in time for season 2.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean it's not entirely off base that it's a spoiler where the simple reveal is the shocking bit, since you pretty much watch how Will basically goes batshit crazy over the course of the season. It doesn't make that development or that single moment less if you know or see it coming unlike other certain shock-spoilers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hannibal actually takes place well before every movie so you don't really need to bother.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Manhunter is really good though :colbert: Except for the dated music.

But yeah the show is really good. I really think Mads Mumbles is the most interesting version of Hannibal. I think Hugh Dancy overacts a little.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of a balancing act since Mads is so restrained.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I found a relevant post from June.

Hannibal is a pretty cool show.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Its kind of a balancing act since Mads is so restrained.

I've always really loved Anthony Hopkins' performance in Silence of the Lambs but after watching Hannibal I think he should have played it more like Mads. The restraint makes Dr. Lecter so much more menacing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Manhunter is good because of the dated music. :getin:-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Also, it's stylistically closest to Hannibal.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

raditts posted:

I've never seen Dead Like Me, but Pushing Daisies is great because death means something. It makes jokes, but they're morbid jokes, and though the show laughs about death, it never trivializes it.
Bryan Fuller basically owns, and I say this only on having seen most of Pushing Daisies and three episodes of Hannibal.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Spatula City posted:

I've never seen Dead Like Me, but Pushing Daisies is great because death means something. It makes jokes, but they're morbid jokes, and though the show laughs about death, it never trivializes it.
Bryan Fuller basically owns, and I say this only on having seen most of Pushing Daisies and three episodes of Hannibal.
Go watch Dead Like Me at your earliest convenience.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
The only thing lamentable about Dead Like Me is that there isn't more of it.

Well, that and the fact that Ellen Muth doesn't get more work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She has a memorable guest spot on Hannibal!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

She has a memorable guest spot on Hannibal!

Which is literally the only thing I've seen her in since Dead Like Me, though IMDB shows her in a whopping four other obscure productions since.

And I didn't even recognize her the first time I watched her in Hannibal. It wasn't until my second viewing that I even noticed it was George Lass.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I believe one of the almost-victims in Hannibal was a minor Wonderfalls character too. I think it was one of the people that Jaye helped at some point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AV Club name Enlightened the best show of 2013, win my heart completely

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
The incomparable Price Peterson made a tribute video in memoriam to all the TV shows that were canceled or ended this year. Advance warning: watching it feels like repeatedly getting punched in the gut, hard, and now I feel all sick and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20pSK3YgZVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Joramun posted:

The incomparable Price Peterson made a tribute video in memoriam to all the TV shows that were canceled or ended this year. Advance warning: watching it feels like repeatedly getting punched in the gut, hard, and now I feel all sick and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20pSK3YgZVM

My strongest response had been mostly "wait that show was still on?" (Private Practice, I'm looking at you) but then... BLUES CLUES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Also the end made me laugh. I do not feel sad though except for the dog who found things in an enthusiastic way. RIP Blue.

• Locked thread