Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
If Whales actually writes something, anything, with Cataclysm in the name and a non-curses interface, I'd actually consider contributing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I would hope he stays away from libtcod, as I somehow can't imagine him being the one to break the libtcod Curse when it comes to trying to leverage the thing heavily with any large-scale project. Maybe if the libtcod dev pace and progress was much more lively, but as it stands, he'd stand more or less a better chance of getting weighed down in the mire of it CultRL-style than not.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I thought libtcod was fairly complete, last I checked. It also doesn't force you to go full :spergin: and feature creep hard enough to bend space-time, that's just bad development practices.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
How do you get Mechanics up from 0 without a skill book? I can't interact with cars at all at skill level 0 and making lockpicks doesn't seem to work.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I usually raid libraries for Under The Hood to get it started, but I know using a crowbar to pry open windows and doors uses Mechanics. Maybe take one to a few and see if it nets any skill growth?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Making crowbars used to buff Mechanics, too - at least this was before they plugged Fabrication in, not sure how it works now. Raiding a library, school or manor should give you a good chance of looting a skill book, either way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pretty sure you gain mechanics by removing parts from vehicles too.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Pretty sure you gain mechanics by removing parts from vehicles too.

You need at least 2 Mechanics to remove vehicle parts.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, Under the Hood is an important early book to find.

Luckily it's fairly common and spawns in houses quite often. If there's no library in easy reach, just kick a few doors in until you find a wannabe mechanic's pad.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, Under the Hood is an important early book to find.

Luckily it's fairly common and spawns in houses quite often. If there's no library in easy reach, just kick a few doors in until you find a wannabe mechanic's pad.

That's nice but I'm specifically asking about raising Mechanics without a skillbook because I'm playing a city size 1 world which doesn't really have houses or libraries. Using a crowbar or makeshift crowbar to pop open doors does raise Mechanics by a little bit so I'm stuck doing that for the foreseeable future.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If there are no houses, where are all these doors you're popping open? :rolleyes:

Chunk of steel is mechanics 0, you'd need to find a welder though.

Finding Under the Hood is still going to be quicker than either of those I reckon, even on city size 1. It spawns in something like 1 in 4 houses, or maybe you'll get lucky and run into a school or something.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 16, 2013

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

tooterfish posted:

If there are no houses, where are all these doors you're popping open? :rolleyes:

Chunk of steel is mechanics 0, you'd need to find a welder though.

Finding Under the Hood is still going to be quicker than either of those I reckon, even on city size 1. It spawns in something like 1 in 4 houses, or maybe you'll get lucky and run into a school or something.

There aren't any houses in a city size 1 world, but you can use a crowbar on any closed door, even if it isn't locked.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I just genned a city size 1 world with the daily build, and there are fairly frequent clusters of 2-3 houses, as well as special buildings like public works.

Are you using an older build?

Edit: just found one on the first day in that world I genned, mansion. Skill books spawn in LMOE shelters too. You just need to wander a bit and hope lady luck is smiling on you.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bizarre. The latest build doesn't let me sleep.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Bizarre. The latest build doesn't let me sleep.

Ditto. Although pressing the sleep button does reduce tiredness slightly, without any time passing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It's a side effect of the big push for centralizing creature handling. Players, Monsters, and NPCs all use the same sleep code now (monsters don't NEED to, but it means if we want to they now CAN), but unfortunately some of the hooks were missed from the Player class. Still very much a work in progress! But we wanted to get it merged before it fell too hard behind.

And hopefully at the end we'll have significantly more robust creatures, a much more stable and powerful architecture for ALL of our different creatures, and NPCs that are significantly less buggy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a good list of what actions various skills are used for and what are good ways to raise them? The wiki skills page isn't that helpful, it really need a page on each skill.

Very stupid question: How do I loot a cupboard or pick stuff up off a table? I've been resorting to smashing them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 20, 2013

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a good list of what actions various skills are used for and what are good ways to raise them? The wiki skills page isn't that helpful, it really need a page on each skill.

Very stupid question: How do I loot a cupboard or pick stuff up off a table? I've been resorting to smashing them.

[e]xamine the square the cupboard/table/whatever is on and you get a list of items in it.

For skills, you can find skill books around the gameworld that will give some starting skill levels. Look for a library or a mansion, they usually have tons of books.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Akoogly Eyes posted:

[e]xamine the square the cupboard/table/whatever is on and you get a list of items in it.

Edit: Ah 'e'xamining things is different to just looking at them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 20, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to Fit a backpack/rucksack? Wiki says yes, but I only seem to Reinforce them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to Fit a backpack/rucksack? Wiki says yes, but I only seem to Reinforce them.

The wiki is outdated or incomplete in a lot of respects, especially re: item properties.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do I need to Wield my knife each time I want to butcher a corpse, or is just carrying it enough?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Lone Badger posted:

Do I need to Wield my knife each time I want to butcher a corpse, or is just carrying it enough?

Just carrying it, and any cutting implement works just as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the help so far. Hope people don't mind me asking so many newbie questions :)

Now this seems kinda broken. It may be the Animal Empathy but this area is swarming with giant ants none of which are hostile unless I start beating their head in - even if I start a fight none of the others will join in. And they each drop 4 lumps of meat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Thanks for the help so far. Hope people don't mind me asking so many newbie questions :)

Now this seems kinda broken. It may be the Animal Empathy but this area is swarming with giant ants none of which are hostile unless I start beating their head in - even if I start a fight none of the others will join in. And they each drop 4 lumps of meat.

That may be in part animal empathy, but is also in part to do with the recent changes to the colony-type creatures in the game, they are generally non-hostile unless you piss them off.

I won't spoil the details but you don't need to be a formicologist myrmecologist to take a stab at why those particular ants may not be aggressive.

Think about how ants work.

Why isn't it formicology?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 21, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With Marksmanship 3 and Archery 3 I'm still missing over 80% of the time with my crossbow. Are ranged weapons really this ineffective?
My quarterstaff is *drastically* more effective, I haven't run into any situations I can't bash my way out of yet.
(Thinking of making a lajatang but it seems to be a major speed hit for a marginal damage increase)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The Lone Badger posted:

With Marksmanship 3 and Archery 3 I'm still missing over 80% of the time with my crossbow. Are ranged weapons really this ineffective?
My quarterstaff is *drastically* more effective, I haven't run into any situations I can't bash my way out of yet.
(Thinking of making a lajatang but it seems to be a major speed hit for a marginal damage increase)

Well your skills are only good if you aren't over encumbered or have massive penalties. It's easy to get upto like -8 to shooting skills with a few pieces of clothing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Well your skills are only good if you aren't over encumbered or have massive penalties. It's easy to get upto like -8 to shooting skills with a few pieces of clothing.

I've got one point of arms encumberance, which I think is just -1? No eyes encumberance anymore, and hands encumberance says it affects throwing weapons.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't touched the later builds since I prefer a nice, stable release, but if you're not firing at close-mid range then I wouldn't really bother trying since stock crossbows only get one shot before a reload. It's possible the to hit algorythms were changed, but it also does depend on what it is you're trying to hit. You can try shooting a deer a million times and you will basically get nowhere unless you are packing a really accurate weapon.

Presuming things are mostly unchanged since 0.9, any melee weapon starts becoming a meat grinder, especially if you can block with them, once you get your fighting and dodging skills up. You dodge most of the attacks, block a bunch of the ones that do get through and the rest usually bounces off your clothes and armor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is partly game balance I think, if ranged weapons were as good as they are in real life, melee would be completely useless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nftyw posted:

Presuming things are mostly unchanged since 0.9, any melee weapon starts becoming a meat grinder, especially if you can block with them, once you get your fighting and dodging skills up. You dodge most of the attacks, block a bunch of the ones that do get through and the rest usually bounces off your clothes and armor.

That's where I'm at at the moment. I'm just wondering if it's even worth trying to get ranged-weapon backup.
(I've got some guns, but 60 shells won't go far if only ten of them hit)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

It is partly game balance I think, if ranged weapons were as good as they are in real life, melee would be completely useless.

Why not just balance it where letting off a shot attracts all the zombies who could hear it? You could balance it even more by having those zombies chain attract zombies so that letting off a pistol would be the start of a huge problem. You'd have to balance noise management with firepower.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The issue with ranged is that base stats give you significant ranged penalties starting off, you basically need to plan a ranged build right from the start. Personally, I've done fairly well with a regular bow and arrow set.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Why not just balance it where letting off a shot attracts all the zombies who could hear it? You could balance it even more by having those zombies chain attract zombies so that letting off a pistol would be the start of a huge problem. You'd have to balance noise management with firepower.

That sounds less like balance and more like making using guns a death sentence in a populated area.

Also it doesn't really address the issue with bows, crossbows, pneumatic, or silenced weapons because they would still completely invalidate melee weapons.

The ability to project lethal force at range is simply infinitely better than the ability to do it close up, which is why games almost always cut ranged damage to a fraction of its realistic value. There's not really much you can do about that other than seriously limiting your ammo supply, which doesn't mesh with the crafting side of the game because you can make more ammo.

Fundamentally though, being able to attack a melee enemy at range completely eliminates the risk of death. As long as you stay at range, the melee enemy can't do anything to you. It turns risk into just an investment of resources and time. That's a hard thing to balance.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 22, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I don't know what game you guys are playing, but on my current 0.9 firearms ranged character is a murder machine. My build is 12 Str, 12 Dex, 8 Int and 12 Per which is a pretty general build with only positive mobility traits and trigger happy which is 'bad' for a ranged build. All my weapon skills (SMGs, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Marksmanship but not Launchers) are around 10+ and I have a large array of firearms and a solid stock of ammunition that I can reliably replenish through crafting.

Firearms are complete murder machines. I can attract a horde of 50~ zombies in town and then burst fire an SMG/Rifle to wipe out around 5 in one turn or fire off a few 40mm grenades. High powered rifles can snipe targets at your maximum view range of around 60 tiles with a good skill level. Handguns within a few tiles will hit and do good damage depending on the ammunition it accepts. Weapon mods are a lot of fun to play with and your only real concern is managing recoil which is simple. The Masterkey shotgun attachment is also incredibly fun over carrying a dedicated shotgun. (I'd really like to see a spread so you have a cone of fire not single target)

As dynamic spawning gets phased in suppressors will become more important and I think balancing that risk/reward factor of firearms will just make it more fun. And give a tangible benefit to using near silent melee weapons.

:goonsay: Firearms are amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had to guess it's because you've taken all the stats which combine to give you zero ranged penalty.

If you don't take 12 dex/per then you're going to be running with major ranged penalties all the time, which will rather severely limit your ranged performance, I would think.

I also have no issue using ranged weapons in 0.9 assuming I take those stats, but I wouldn't vouch for your performance without them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Interestingly enough, someone on their forums mentioned that apparently the code that spawns zombies based on noise level in dynamic mode was quietly taken out a couple experimentals ago. It might have been added back in since then though, I don't play dynamic much so I wouldn't know.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'd believe that based on my experiences in 0.9 because I really never see zombies in a cleared out area. Plenty of critters and zombears and whatnot, which are more annoying than anything else.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If I had to guess it's because you've taken all the stats which combine to give you zero ranged penalty.

If you don't take 12 dex/per then you're going to be running with major ranged penalties all the time, which will rather severely limit your ranged performance, I would think.

I also have no issue using ranged weapons in 0.9 assuming I take those stats, but I wouldn't vouch for your performance without them.

I think you're seriously overstating the affect the typical minor ranged penalties a build will have on a characters ranged performance.

If you had rock bottom Dex/Per stats then yeah that will hurt, but if you're choosing a build with both low Dex/Per stats you're heavily nerfing yourself (for any build) and shouldn't be using ranged weapons.
That's not a balance issue it's a crappy build.

Besides accuracy penalties the guns themselves are still lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to use a vehicle battery to charge / run tools? I'm running through my battery stockpile way too fast using this welder.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 22, 2013