Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

baby puzzle posted:

There isn't much combat, aside from the Combat Simulator missions. Mostly it is doing various tasks for the aliens. There is no difference in gameplay between Buzz, Woody, and Jessie.

I feel like this playset is the most like Woody's Roundup in Toy Story 3. I think it is my favorite one. It seems like it has the most stuff to do.

Okay, great. Sounds like my family will dig it, and I can take the lead during combat when necessary. Thanks, and the extra comparison helps out as well. I guess Disney can have some more of my hard-earned cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

I haven't yet gotten past the initial collect-a-thon, trying to figure out how to access the different areas and such. A couple places you need Woody to get past. I'm digging the overall terrain and atmosphere.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Completed my set tonight, I picked up the Cars set and Francesco.
Power discs I need: Fix It Felix's Repair Power (Disc 2), King Candy's Dessert Toppings (disc 10), Rapunzel's Kingdom (Disc 16), Dumbo (rare disc). Come on you bastards trade with me. I have extra stuff.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

This poor forgotten thread... maybe I'm just the only pathetic nerdbaby who loves this stuff. Today I picked up the TrU exclusive crystal Mr. Incredible and crystal Sulley, and for the hell of it I grabbed a TrU disc pack. Got a new rare - Zurg's Wrath! I'm not sure what it does but I'll find out tonight. Also scored disc 10, still looking for disc 2 and rare Dumbo. One more cry out to trade them shits.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

TunaSled posted:

This poor forgotten thread... maybe I'm just the only pathetic nerdbaby who loves this stuff. Today I picked up the TrU exclusive crystal Mr. Incredible and crystal Sulley, and for the hell of it I grabbed a TrU disc pack. Got a new rare - Zurg's Wrath! I'm not sure what it does but I'll find out tonight. Also scored disc 10, still looking for disc 2 and rare Dumbo. One more cry out to trade them shits.

Nah, my daughter and I still play this. Each week, we try to go through the new toyboxes but have fallen behind a bit. Without any of the new playsets, things a slow going, but we have almost hit level 15 with the original three.

I really, really enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean. It's a shame we can't create our own ship battles in Toy Box, but then again I'm not patient enough to make my own levels and without the community-created levels behind this (a la LittleBigPlanet), we're at the mercy of whatever Avalanche feel are the best. On the flip side, we had fun with a few from these past two weeks.

I'm pretty certain I have an extra one of those discs, but have to dig it out. We're in the process of moving so it may already be packed.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Let me know, we can swap by mail. I've got some good duplicates.

The crystal TrU variants level fast, they get XP bonuses apparently.
Zurg's Wrath is cool, chance for extra melee damage. It helped greatly in Sulley's drat paintball challenge... gah! Shoot what's far and clobber what's close.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

TunaSled posted:

Let me know, we can swap by mail. I've got some good duplicates.

The crystal TrU variants level fast, they get XP bonuses apparently.
Zurg's Wrath is cool, chance for extra melee damage. It helped greatly in Sulley's drat paintball challenge... gah! Shoot what's far and clobber what's close.

I'll dig around this weekend and report back. I think I know where they are.

On point, I nearly lost my mind on those paintball challenges. Any paintball events, actually. It's nice to know at least some of them can be made easier, or at least tolerable.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

hojusimpson posted:

On point, I nearly lost my mind on those paintball challenges. Any paintball events, actually. It's nice to know at least some of them can be made easier, or at least tolerable.

Bolt's Super Strength (common) also helps a great deal. You can stack 2 discs under a character, and some combine for a third effect which is cool. I used Bolt and Zurg to get through paintball.

Now if I can find a disc that will help me ride a drat pig... ugh Mike's challenge has me inventing new swears!

I'm having a riot with the little green men in the Toy Story playset though. They are hilarious...

"I wish for you to throw me a ball!"

Do it every time he gets in your face for a motherlode of diamonds. I'm using double Jack Sparrow discs (Pieces of Eight) in TS and cashing in huge. It seems that if you stack two of the same disc, they both have a chance to trigger so you hit more often.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Man, I was way into the idea of this game for my daughter for Christmas, until I actually looked at prices and figured out that to get her the Toy Story stuff (that she'd like the best) with both Woody and Buzz we're looking at a cost of £100. What the gently caress?

With that in mind I'm not hugely surprised this thread is so dead. It's a great idea but way too loving price gougey. It feels like the application of a free to play business model on a game that costs above average to begin with. No thanks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah this poo poo is expensive. They must've compared notes with Lucas.

Speaking of which... I think you can bet whatever the next 'Infinity' is, it's going to have Star Wars figures, and that poo poo will print money.

Be that as it may, watching my kid gently caress around for hours in the sandbox building all sorts of crazy poo poo. And watching his younger brother clap and ogle as he does stuff, it helps make it worth it.

As far as 'games' go, I think Skylanders is the better one. And so much more affordable comparitively speaking. However Disney offers a lot of creative options that I think will make it worth it for parents of kids that spend hours in Minecraft just doing random dumb poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So it looks like this is $38.96 at Walmart on Black Friday. Seems like kind of a negative reaction looking through the last few pages of the thread, but it seems like that's due to people grinding out their levels for their characters or something. For $40 is this something my 3 and 4 year olds who don't give a poo poo about leveling but do like Disney and playing with level editors would be into?

I understand this is supposed to be like a Disney version of that Skylanders thing, but I don't really understand Skylanders beyond that it's a Spyro the Dragon spinoff and I loving hated those games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well to say its related to Spyro the Dragon is sort of misleading in that it has nothing to do with those games. Activision acquired the licensed and used Spyro as a flagship character for it, but hes one among many new ones.

Ive never played one but I gather its an action platformer with figures to get sweet sweet cash.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Hey guys,

Just giving you the heads up, that if you love spending money, then all the figurines are now available (Apart from Mickey).
Also, if you head to the Disney Infinity website, you can also download the Toybox creation tool for free.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Phineas and Perry the Platypus are also not out yet.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
So I know they have rare power discs, but are any of the characters harder to find?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Maybe the Toys R' Us exclusives, but even those aren't that hard to find.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
As far as I know, Jack Skellington is currently sold out in Qld, Australia.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I bought a buttload of this stuff from Amazon yesterday, so I guess I'm keeping (and opening!) the $35 starter set I got from Walmart a few weeks ago. I ended up getting 5 figures (Davy Jones, Dash, Mater, and the Frozen gals) + 3 packs of Power Discs for $40, which I take to be a pretty good deal...

Do Playsets ever go on sale? I'm primarily interested in the Lone Ranger and Toy Story sets. Also, I know that when the game first came out, there were some sort of Toys R Us gold-packaged Power Disc packs... do those contain things that are pretty much impossible to find now?

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!
The toys r us discs are available in later series. For instance Mikes Car is the first Toys R Us exclusive and is also in series 2 as a common. The difference is the color of the plastic and the animation of the picture. If your target still has it you can get all of season 2 discs and an album for organization for 60.

I got the frozen set yesterday as well. I didn't need the discs but two figures for 15 is too good to pass up.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I seem to have bad luck with these power disc packs; just started and I already have a buttload of doubles...

- Bolt's Super Strength (2x)
- Mickey's Car (1x)
- Finding Nemo (skydome) (1x)
- Sugar Rush Sky (2x)

If anyone has any Series 1 or 2 commons to trade, I would totally be down to swap.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
How much substance is there to this game, outside of the making your own levels aspect? I'm a big fan of both Skylanders and LittleBigPlanet, but everything I've seen regarding Infinity points to it being a lot more freeform, sandbox, and lacking in overall goals, which doesn't interest me.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Behonkiss posted:

How much substance is there to this game, outside of the making your own levels aspect? I'm a big fan of both Skylanders and LittleBigPlanet, but everything I've seen regarding Infinity points to it being a lot more freeform, sandbox, and lacking in overall goals, which doesn't interest me.

They need way more "playsets". Actual stories using the characters. Right now it's heavy on the user created wander around worlds.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Behonkiss posted:

I've been enjoying the Starter Pack Playsets (the Pirates, Monsters, and Incredibles games) quite a bit primarily because I'm playing them co-op with someone who is not a veteran gamer and it caters to that kind of player. I'm sure it's been compared to the LEGO games and I definitely agree with that... it's sort of like GTA-lite insomuch as you get missions, run around the world to finish those missions, and then go back to your base and upgrade poo poo. The Incredibles game feels a bit like baby's first Crackdown and I really like it for that... although it's far and away the least graphically impressive, it feels the most vast. Both Monsters and Pirates (especially Monsters) have pretty detailed worlds that mesh well with the chunky graphical style.

The Toybox (sandbox mode) is kind of a mystery to me, basically since I have little interest in making my own games/worlds... I've gotten a bunch of power discs that modify the scenery/backdrops/audio, but they add nothing as far as content which is a bit of a shame... sure the world now looks and sounds like Wonderland, but there's nothing gameplay-wise that is unlocked to leverage the scenery change.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Speaking of play sets, after the starter play sets are any of the 3 others out especially good? I'm thinking of getting the Toy Story Space one to play with my boyfriend since I don't have the biggest interest in Cars or The Lone Ranger. But I also heard the Cars stuff isn't so bad.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I wonder what the delay is on the PS4 / XBone versions of this.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Fishylungs posted:

Speaking of play sets, after the starter play sets are any of the 3 others out especially good? I'm thinking of getting the Toy Story Space one to play with my boyfriend since I don't have the biggest interest in Cars or The Lone Ranger. But I also heard the Cars stuff isn't so bad.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Lone Ranger set, so that will be the first one I get post-starter pack.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reviews of the Toy Story in Space one were great. I think Lone Ranger is a favorite as well. Cars is a lot of racing and fetch-questing and is probably only fun if you really like the franchise.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My kid loves cars, and Cars, and probably spent the most time with that playset... but the challenges seem to be the most difficult. The races seem to be F-Zero rage inducing at their higher levels, and it can be additionally flustering if you came off other playsets with way easier races (Lone Ranger, Monsters Inc).

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Fishylungs posted:

The Toy story playset is fantastic. That and Pirates are my two favorites so far. I have not yet played Lone Ranger or Cars, but so far the only one that isn't doing much for me is Monsters Inc. I'm currently grinding through it anyway for the stars and levels.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

A bit about collecting Power Discs and other DI thoughts. Some of this may have been mentioned in this thread, but there are strategies to this that help avoid getting too deep $$.

Firstly, buy at Toys R Us (multiple reasons). One advantage here is that different employees on different shifts will open new boxes of disks and cram them out, giving you a better assortment than if one employee was in charge and closely monitored how many were stuffed out and how many boxes remain in back. Keep in mind that there are currently two display areas for Infinity, one in games and one near the front door. Discs at both. Additionally there are 2 to 4 open boxes at the cash wrap in the games department, at least at the TrU stores in my area.

Now a bit about selection technique... notice the rares have that lenticular motion image thing going on? That ribbed texture lets you feel the rares through the packaging with your fingernail. The discs are positioned back to back in the packaging, so the fronts are facing outward. Be sure to check both front and back of the pack, and scratch in several directions as you won't feel it if you're going "with" the grain. Camp out and scratch them all, take your time. Another advantage of TrU is that the employees don't care at all that you do this, they see far worse toy nerds all the time. I have actually had an employee chill and scratch packs with me for like ten minutes. They simply don't care.

So by "weeding" like this you will buy only packs that contain rares. This way you will get every rare over a couple visits while incidentally collecting all the commons. But wait... there's more...

I recommend purchasing a bunch of them. Like spend 60 bucks at a time. The reason? You can scan them on your base through the packaging and return the packs you don't want! Another huge advantage of TrU, easy returns with receipt no questions asked. So bulk up, you're only paying for what you'll keep, eliminating the inevitable sea of doubles others have to wade through. Feel the pack to see if you've got a round or hex disc, lay the package on the appropriate area of the power base (while in the Toy Box) and you will see what you've got.

TrU advantage #19: They have exclusive gold colored packs that contain "rare" variants of discs that have not been released yet in the regular series. As far as I can tell, every pack has one in it, and these are easier to tell apart because unlike the normal Infinity series, they have unique individual UPC codes that tell the knowing exactly what rare is in there. Allow me to divulge:

UPC ending in: Contains:
4000 Mike's New Car
2398 0 Tron User Control
2399 7 Scrooge's Lucky Dime
2413 0 Zurg Damage
2401 7 Hook's Ship
2402 4 Stitch's Surfboard
4505 Electric Mayhem Bus
2403 1 Tron Sky texture

Those are what I currently know for sure. Get one of each, they will all come with a common for your set. Again, these are the gold colored TrU exclusive packs. The regular white packs all have the same UPC.

Some general disc info you may already know: Round discs enhance your character. You can stack up to two under a single character for both effects and some pairs combine for a third effect, so experiment. The same disc twice? double the effect. For example, Pieces of Eight gives I think a 10% chance of increased loot when you expose currency. If you stack two, each one checks, giving you twice the chance at gaining more cash (or tokens or diamonds or whatever your current world's currency is). For this reason, stacking two Tron User Control discs is extremely beneficial if your goal is to level your characters up faster. I switch discs frequently while playing, depending on the situation. I start a fresh world or new character with a Tron user Control and a Pieces of Eight until my loot is enough to purchase most anything in that world's Toy Store, then I swap the PoE for a Bolt. Generally anyway.

More Toys R Us goodness! Have you seen the exclusive crystal editions of some of the characters? They have an advantage. They level up faster than your normal character and the progress you make advances the normal statue in the Hall of Heroes (silver, gold etc). It doesn't work the other way around though. So if you pick up a crystal, grind for a while!

See? I wrote a thing.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

That's actually super useful... yesterday I swung by TRU and was able to (fairly) quickly find a small handful of packages that contained rares in the white, non-TRU exclusive blind bags. The advice about multiple dump points is also helpful as a few days ago I only looked at the DI section near the front of the store and couldn't for the life of me find a bag that would contain "Tron Sky," but yesterday in the R Zone I found that poo poo immediately. One note for scanning bags on your infinity portal before opening the bags: upon scanning, an error will pop up, but once you dismiss that error it will let you know what disc you scanned. I was able to add 4 full bags worth of new discs to my collection using the methods described.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
None of those discs seem to really add any value to the game. I haven't bothered with them at all. Is it fun to collect, I guess?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Some are definitely more interesting than others. I only buy packs that I can feel have 2 hex discs because the round ones just give buffs. If you aren't interested in collecting then the draw is definitely diminished. They add new weapons, vehicles, and visual overhauls to toybox worlds, but if that doesn't do it for you then there's no point.

I need to get my hands in the TRU Tron discs. Gotta make me some keychains. :cool:

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

mutata posted:

I only buy packs that I can feel have 2 hex discs because the round ones just give buffs.

I am set collecting, but I'm the opposite as to preference. while the hex discs are cool for changing textures and environments in the toybox (they stay that way until you change them), I prefer the ability enhancements of the round ones. Buzz' shield and Bolt in the late rounds of the Incredibles playset are a must if you're spending a lot of time on the ground for example. And as I mentioned, double User Control helps you level up a lot faster if you're grinding out on breakables. As far as stacking doubles goes, the round discs make sense to have doubles while the hex ones don't.

Also for the uninformed as to the TrU "rares", they are cool variants but are not necessarily rare. They are mostly advance exclusives of future discs as far as I can tell, Mike's Car is one example of a red TrU disc that is now a common in series 2.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The TRU discs have cool color borders and lenticular stickers where the common one don't as well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I got both the Nightmare Before Christmas sky and ground texture changers. I'm basically done buying them.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

5er posted:

I got both the Nightmare Before Christmas sky and ground texture changers. I'm basically done buying them.

I still need the Tron and Sugar Rush ground... would probably also like the Frankenweenie stuff, but we'll see.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I got a pack yesterday, getting a Piece of Eight and Carl's Cane from Up. Soothes the fact my first pack had the Nemo skybox I got with the game in the first place. Plus Fix-it Felix's health bonus and the PoE give a combo power that ups how fast you build up a boost while driving, so hopefully I can rack up spins on all the racing adventures.

Sadly the nearest TRU for me is over 2 hours away, so I have to settle for getting 'em at Walmart.

leonlai86
Feb 1, 2005
Looking for the Sugar Rush Sky disc to complete series 1 if anybody has an extra to trade

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

leonlai86 posted:

Looking for the Sugar Rush Sky disc to complete series 1 if anybody has an extra to trade

thanks

I have one for ya, what do you have to trade? I'm interested in series 2

• Locked thread