Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ZoninSilver posted:

I THINK if you dodge over a mook in that fight, you're essentially invincible all the way through, which made the dodging a fair bit easier when I realized it.

I didn't find the Bane fights problematic other than when I would sometimes move a little too close to a corner, boxing me in and making me unable to dodge in time. The key was to let him get really close before dodging, do it too soon and he'd change direction. Once thugs get involved, as ZoninSilver says, it becomes trivial because you get invincibility frames from dodging over them, and Bane will damage the thugs for you as he charges around. So long as you make sure to be jumping when his shockwave attack hits, Bane fights are pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
A piece of advice. When you take down Bird, do not decide to stop playing and quit, please exit the building before you do so.

The map itself has dissapeared as I tried leaving a few rooms so I quit and restarted. I am now floating in a completely black void everytime I load the game. Good thing I finished the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im kind of wondering how a play through would work out where you are only allowed to beatdown people and nothing else. Would it be easier or harder? It would definitely be a different way of playing the game for me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

blackguy32 posted:

Im kind of wondering how a play through would work out where you are only allowed to beatdown people and nothing else. Would it be easier or harder? It would definitely be a different way of playing the game for me.
Can you batswarm? Or at least counter?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What if you couldn't even do beatdowns?

Batman: Arkham Prelude: You play as 12-year-old Bruce Wayne. You have no gadgets and no particular skill at fighting. You must navigate the day-to-day life of a disgustingly wealthy young boy trying to cope with teachers, bullies, and the crushing, debilitating hopelessness of being an orphan in a world that doesn't care. Revolutionary new fighting system allows only for petulant slapping and shin-kicking. Help young Bruce do his homework, cope with his depression, and uncover the mystery behind the new transfer student in his homeroom class HINT: It's the Joker.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
With all the dark and grime bullshit that's gotten severely overdone, I'm about ready for a silly Brave & The Bold-ish Silver Age Batman game. With coop play. (And that isn't a Lego game.)

Old chum.

Also as a side note, and this is a gripe I have about the Arkham series in general - I hate hate HATE over-Zbrushed character designs that are over-roughed and gungy looking. Batman himself looks marvelous, weirdly - but most other villain characters look really gungy and wrinkly and ugo. Not in a 'hey cool nasty villains to fight' way but a 'wow these guys are really unappealing character designs that come off like corpses caked in greasepaint' way. I see this problem in a lot of big budget games, but it first most noticably cropped up in the gears of war series - at least when I noticed it.

I actually would prefer a Batman game with a cleaner noir aesthetic - hyper stylization and use of color filtering for some kind of living comic book look. Instead of these repeated trips through the uncanny valley playing with what looks like a tasteless nerd's DC character collectable statue collection that he smeared burger grease on. Off the top of my head, I think the Yaiba ninja gaiden game is trying for a look along those lines - but it can be done even better than that, IMO.

Also, I demand a 'get rid of a bomb' segment in my silver-age Batman game.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 19, 2013

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mentioned it before, but I found the character design in Origins much more subdued than the previous two games. Most of the mooks you fight looked like just regular schmoes and dock-workers instead of 'roided out thugs. Bane looks like a huge, muscular dude instead of some sort of beef mutant. Joker, while grotesque-looking, has a kind of stylized look instead of the fairly run-of-the-mill one we got in Asylum and City.

I think it's ironic that you want the aesthetic of the games to be more like a comic book, since that's pretty much where the first two games were coming from. They seem very much rooted in the hyper-muscular, super-contrasty comics of the '90s, though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

I mentioned it before, but I found the character design in Origins much more subdued than the previous two games. Most of the mooks you fight looked like just regular schmoes and dock-workers instead of 'roided out thugs. Bane looks like a huge, muscular dude instead of some sort of beef mutant. Joker, while grotesque-looking, has a kind of stylized look instead of the fairly run-of-the-mill one we got in Asylum and City.

I think it's ironic that you want the aesthetic of the games to be more like a comic book, since that's pretty much where the first two games were coming from. They seem very much rooted in the hyper-muscular, super-contrasty comics of the '90s, though.

I actually can think of several Batman artists who draw similar to how the character models in the first two arkham games were executed. The characters often look like over-textured corpses in the comic too. :allears:

And yeah, well, Jim Lee was involved - which would probably explain the over-bulky over-textured 90's-ish look combined with 'zbrush artists having too much fun with the texture tools.'

Anyway, a fun silly and ironic batman game is a much needed palate cleanser for me right now. Something like this, really:

Speaking of which, that 'palate cleanser' effect happened for me recently watching the batman Adam West movie, and some episodes of the series. It's weird, but since Batman spans so many generations written in so many ways, going back to this sillier time is a nice way to 'balance' out the modern Batman by taking the piss out of the overly-dark pretentious bullshit the character often becomes mired in.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 19, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Spacedad posted:

With all the dark and grime bullshit that's gotten severely overdone, I'm about ready for a silly Brave & The Bold-ish Silver Age Batman game. With coop play. (And that isn't a Lego game.)

I'm not sure if it's going to be a Batman game, but Rocksteady mentioned they'd be making something taking place in the Silver Age somehow. I just hope it means bizarre gadgets that are Powered By Science and astoundingly mundane villains.

Also, I recently went back and watched Batman Beyond (which holds up surprisingly well), and it's a shame the costume for it in AC lacks that cool angular style from the show. It just looks like a really weird bodysuit in the game.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it would be a neat idea to have an anthology-esque game franchise where each game in the series evokes a different era, but that ship has kind of sailed for the Arkham series, what with City being a direct sequel to Asylum and Origins being a prequel. Maybe Rocksteady could have an offshoot Batman series. Batman: Gotham instead of Arkham.

EDIT: The Animated Series costumes for Arkham City looked pretty awesome. I get why they couldn't have an actual Terry McGinnis-looking Beyond skin, though, since it would involve creating a whole new skeleton.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 19, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm not sure if it's going to be a Batman game, but Rocksteady mentioned they'd be making something taking place in the Silver Age somehow. I just hope it means bizarre gadgets that are Powered By Science and astoundingly mundane villains.

Also, I recently went back and watched Batman Beyond (which holds up surprisingly well), and it's a shame the costume for it in AC lacks that cool angular style from the show. It just looks like a really weird bodysuit in the game.

It better involve a Scooby Doo cameo at some point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sober posted:

Can you batswarm? Or at least counter?

I guess those are modifiers, but I never use batswarm in the first place. But you could allow counters are simply just evade over every thing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Speaking of which, that 'palate cleanser' effect happened for me recently watching the batman Adam West movie, and some episodes of the series. It's weird, but since Batman spans so many generations written in so many ways, going back to this sillier time is a nice way to 'balance' out the modern Batman by taking the piss out of the overly-dark pretentious bullshit the character often becomes mired in.

What's funny is that the Adam West TV show was actually pretty faithful to the comics at the time - it's just that the comics at the time were kind of goofy. Still, it was in full, vibrant colour, it was packed with action, and that batmobile was :krad: The stories were stupid, but it was a good show nonetheless!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blackguy32 posted:

I'm kind of wondering how a play through would work out where you are only allowed to beatdown people and nothing else. Would it be easier or harder? It would definitely be a different way of playing the game for me.

Probably harder, but I still think the beatdowns are over-used and over-emphasized as a game mechanic in City and Origins. You practically always have to start out with one just to get your combo multiplying.

^^^That's poorly worded, but what I mean is it's too simple to over-use them.^^^

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Is it bad that barely three-four months after release, Batman AO is now 50% off?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Skoll posted:

Is it bad that barely three-four months after release, Batman AO is now 50% off?

Well, it is the Winter Sale. Good on WB Montreal for not pulling any of that 25% or 33% bullshit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

A Christmas sale was all but guaranteed no matter when it came out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Skoll posted:

Welcome to Steam, you must be new here!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was honestly expecting 25% off at the most. Even the Season pass is 50%.

Is the Bruce Wayne DLC worth getting, because I'm not interested in the skins or Black Mask poo poo.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
If you like the challenge rooms Bruce Wayne is a completely separate character with his own gadgets, moveset, and set of challenges/medals for each map. If you're only going to play the new maps/challenge campaign that come with him it's probably not worth it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Phylodox posted:

What if you couldn't even do beatdowns?

Batman: Arkham Prelude: You play as 12-year-old Bruce Wayne. You have no gadgets and no particular skill at fighting. You must navigate the day-to-day life of a disgustingly wealthy young boy trying to cope with teachers, bullies, and the crushing, debilitating hopelessness of being an orphan in a world that doesn't care. Revolutionary new fighting system allows only for petulant slapping and shin-kicking. Help young Bruce do his homework, cope with his depression, and uncover the mystery behind the new transfer student in his homeroom class HINT: It's the Joker.

If there was a Bully remake that made Jimmy as Bruce and Gary as the Joker, I'd probably pay, like, 200 dollars for that.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TechnoSyndrome posted:

If you like the challenge rooms Bruce Wayne is a completely separate character with his own gadgets, moveset, and set of challenges/medals for each map. If you're only going to play the new maps/challenge campaign that come with him it's probably not worth it.

I just wanted it cause of story content, but I'm iffy on paying ten dollars for it if it's not even as long as Harley's Revenge from AC.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I am the night mode is a lot more fun than I thought it would be so far, it also let me finish off the worst nightmare track and get the point counter-point cheevo. Playing like your life means something feels fantastic :allears:

Copperhead did manage to thrash me to mere milimeters of my life though, can't wait to see what Bane does to me :shepicide:.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Skoll posted:

I just wanted it cause of story content, but I'm iffy on paying ten dollars for it if it's not even as long as Harley's Revenge from AC.

Keep in mind that there will be story-based DLC that would, one assumes, be about as long as Harley's Revenge. You could always just spring for that on its own whenever it comes out.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Is the predator map in the Black Mask challenge pack basically the predator room in the Steel Mill?

Also I might actually jump on the season pass if only because it'll mean I get Initiation and the other story DLC cheaper.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Does the Initiation DLC have multiple endings? Like, if I get more medals do I get a better ending blurb or is it just the same one no matter what?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Phylodox posted:

Does the Initiation DLC have multiple endings? Like, if I get more medals do I get a better ending blurb or is it just the same one no matter what?

The more medals you get, the more elaborate the ending is.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sober posted:

Is the predator map in the Black Mask challenge pack basically the predator room in the Steel Mill?

Yep.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Phylodox posted:

I think the ending changes if you get less than 8, 8 - 14, and all 15.

Really, though, it's just Kirigi going "You still have much to learn. Clean the bathroom." "There's room for improvement. Clean the floors." "Oh, I'm impressed. Make me tea."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That's dumb as poo poo, seeing as they lock the Penguin/Final Offer predator map behind Deathstroke too. :shrug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Seventh Arrow posted:

What's funny is that the Adam West TV show was actually pretty faithful to the comics at the time - it's just that the comics at the time were kind of goofy. Still, it was in full, vibrant colour, it was packed with action, and that batmobile was :krad: The stories were stupid, but it was a good show nonetheless!

The puns and the snappy dialogue in general actually holds up really really well, it still makes me laugh. Burgess Meredith's delivery of "Midget Moron" whenever he is speaking to Robin. :3:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just beat Arkham Asylum. I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't really trying to be too outstanding. It explored its ideas and ended just when it needed to. I do think it was a bit monotonous, at times, and recycled the same obstacles a lot, but it was pretty entertaining.

I really enjoy games like this.

btw, the Killer Croc boss fight was hyped way too much. What a letdown.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've never really heard anyone hype Croc's fight. It was scary seeing him pop up the first five or so times, but after that it became monotonous.

Additionally, does anyone else really think the challenge map areas of Asylum could've been better? I was disappointed that the Predator room in the Botanical Gardens didn't get used, nor the Boiler Room in Medical.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jeez I bought the season pass for AO and 5.6 GB download? :negative:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sober posted:

What is it with this series' preoccupation with and love for the mother loving Steel Mill? It's one of the crappiest areas in the game(s) and yet they keep having players run through it over and over.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Additionally, does anyone else really think the challenge map areas of Asylum could've been better? I was disappointed that the Predator room in the Botanical Gardens didn't get used, nor the Boiler Room in Medical.

Could of used a little more Steel Mill. I gotta' have that Steel Mill, baby.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've never really heard anyone hype Croc's fight. It was scary seeing him pop up the first five or so times, but after that it became monotonous.

It wasn't that great overall but the end is really cool. The game doesn't excessively hold your hand about what you need to do and standing there holding the detonator as Croc rumbles toward you is pretty tense.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think he means it was hyped in-game. You here all through the game about how terrifying he is, and when you get there it's basically "walk slowly." Then again, there weren't really any good boss fights in AA except Poison Ivy, and even that was basically just copied from Spanish Napoleon in Resident Evil 4. The Joker fight was so disappointing- he injects himself with serum and turns into a giant monster, and then just stands around while you fight the same mooks again and again. City was so much better- Mr. Freeze was seriously one of the best boss fights of all time, because of the way you combine everything you've learned throughout the game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Sober posted:

Jeez I bought the season pass for AO and 5.6 GB download? :negative:

Picked it up myself. How is all the content?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

City was so much better- Mr. Freeze was seriously one of the best boss fights of all time, because of the way you combine everything you've learned throughout the game.
Plus the out-of-nowhere holy poo poo Clayface fight which I am so glad I was not spoiled about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jurgan posted:

I think he means it was hyped in-game. You here all through the game about how terrifying he is, and when you get there it's basically "walk slowly." Then again, there weren't really any good boss fights in AA except Poison Ivy, and even that was basically just copied from Spanish Napoleon in Resident Evil 4. The Joker fight was so disappointing- he injects himself with serum and turns into a giant monster, and then just stands around while you fight the same mooks again and again. City was so much better- Mr. Freeze was seriously one of the best boss fights of all time, because of the way you combine everything you've learned throughout the game.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Additionally, it turns out the Botanical Gardens predator map is used. It's just not on Steam's AA GOTY.

And neither are the play as the Joker missions.

• Locked thread