Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

E.Nigma posted:

You need the 1.2 patch, that addressed the merc suit and hosed up inventory attachments. I wouldn't even recommend continuing with your current play through because I am releasing the final version with more new weapons Friday.

Goddammit, I'm just being a dumbass aren't I? Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I've been playing a bit of RMA Old Storyline Restoration for SHOC. While the new and remixed content is really cool and mostly well-implemented, the purely vanilla graphics and UI kind of bum me out after playing so much of AA2 and Zone of Alienation. After much searching, I finally came across an English translation add-on for RMA simply called "Shadows" on the GSC forums. It promised to have all the content from RMA, but pretty up the visuals, rebalance things a little, and add in a handful of new guns. Start it up and sure enough, it definitely seems like a prettier RMA. I get my first mission from Sid to get an artifact, then help out the wounded stalker outside the rookie village and find my first gun laying near the dead stalker with the medkit you need. I equipped it to see how it looked and...

:cripes: This what the iron sights on it look like.

How does this happen. How do you manage to gently caress up the very first gun you find in the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Pretty sure that's how you aim a PMm. Rick Grimes the same thing every time he aims. Observe:

"Hold to the head, shoot to the dick."

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Even better is that barely 30 minutes in and I'm already getting corrupt saves. That's a new record for me. It's unplayable past the military bridge blockade. Doesn't matter how I get to the other side, whether it's the tunnel or sneaking/bribing/killing the soldiers, any save I make after the quest log updates is busted.

I suppose in a way it's better that it poo poo the bed this early rather than 20+ hours down the road like a lot of other mods. :sigh:

Anybody here played OGSE? Are there any other mods that are reasonably stable that add new/old maps?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSE is amazing.

The mod I'm working on pretty much is RMA with OGSE ontop of it, with a few neat features from DMX.

I'm lucky in that I've found a working model of a Karlik, both the initial version and the later one

Here's some more info about cut mutants from SoC:

First there was the "Korpus". It was kind of a reference to Serious Sam. Created by the C-Consciousness, it was supposed to be an alternative version of the standard zombies that you would encounter later in the game

Then there was the Karlik (Dwarf). Not much is really known about these. I guess they were supposed to be found at the CNPP

This is the early model:

The later version was vastly different, and was pretty much the prototype for the Burer:

Looks kind of like something from Doom 3

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I miss that one zone-horse thing a Goon was modeling. The concept art for it was awesome.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Found some more information about the Karlik:

They were supposedly a very early version of the Burer, then were sort of changed to be the Burer's underlings. They mostly lived underground and would create traps for stalkers, by flooding passages, causing cave ins etc.

Supposedly they were very "cult-like" in their behaviour and would collect trinkets from stalkers and sort of worship them/cherish them. They're mentioned a few times in the books, as they supposedly hate blind dogs with a passion. Fang says in one of the Russian books that an unburned Dwarf body would eventually become a controller.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ddraig posted:

Then there was the Karlik (Dwarf). Not much is really known about these. I guess they were supposed to be found at the CNPP

This is the early model:

Haha, look at that little poo poo! I just want to punch that thing in the face so hard.

Avocados posted:

I miss that one zone-horse thing a Goon was modeling. The concept art for it was awesome.

Yeah, the "Tark", which would have been an especially ghoulish mutant:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Haha, look at that little poo poo! I just want to punch that thing in the face so hard.

RL version found:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, the "Tark", which would have been an especially ghoulish mutant:

"Blowout soon, fellow stalker!"

"Oh really? When?"

"NOW."

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That's beautiful :allears:

Too bad nothing came of it, I'd like to think that mutant would have the most unnerving call that would travel over the hills. :smith:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

RL version found:

really I'd say aphex twin's music is fitting for the zone, whether it's the ambient or bizarre screechy IDM.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was thinking of using Lustmord's Stalker album for ambient music but I quite like SoC with no ambient music. Makes all the creepy sounds stand out.

e: So I want people's opinions.

This is the current hud I've got. It's pretty much the hud from DMX 1.5 (the latest version of Stalkersoup may use this aswell, I don't really know)

I'm basically using this as it's quite clean, and incorporates the new aspects of the game pretty well: most notably the new "quick use" slots. Unfortunately due to engine limitations this is done in kind of a weird way (you have to select the quick use items from a drop down menu in the inventory) but it sort of operates in the same manner as the CoP hud, but with a few notable changes:

1. There's no ammo counter. You can probably notice this right away, and in my opinion it's one of the worst aspects. This can probably be fixed quite easily, though.
2. No visibility/sound indicators. Not even in the CoP style. Again, this can be a bit of a problem, especially as thanks to the X-ray extensions, the "visibility" meter is actually based on visibility and not light (so it is a fairly accurate representation of stealth). This would be the hardest to incorporate for me, as I have very little experience with editing UIs.

Also the bleeding/hunger status stuff is a bit big and chunky for my liking.

I've got a few other UIs based on this one that I'm going to test out and give screenshots for, and people can tell me which they prefer.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2013

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I've been having a strange issue with OGSE 0692 on the Steam installed version of SOC. Several of the fancier sniper rifles behave like binoculars, where both mouse buttons zoom in and nothing fires. No ammo is displayed in the usual place on the HUD either. I managed to solve it so I figured I'd share it here for those who may experience it, it affects (at least for me) the Gauss rifle, the AWP, and the massive rifle you can rent from Barkeep.

Solution:

I had to unpack the archived databases, specifically gamedata.dbe.
All weapons are found in the config/weapons/ folder.
In each rifle's file ( w_gauss.ltx w_v94.ltx w_awm.ltx ) I modified the class value (line 10 or 11) from WP_BINOC to WP_SVD.
I couldn't locate proper class names for these rifles, maybe they are in another of the gamedata.db* files I don't know, but using a valid class from the other rifles seems to work just fine.

Whoever decided to classify sniper rifles as binoculars...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Chances are good the bin files got overwritten when Steam updated to 1.0006

The bin files allow binocular class weapons to be fired. Those particular guns were classified as binoculars so they could have variable zoom like binoculars have.

Try copying the bin files from your OGSE install over the existing ones. Should work without you having to change.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The functionality of the COP style quick-use slots is really cool, but I would rather not have it surface in the HUD. I have a bad memory but I can at least keep track of what I have set to 4 keys (because I always set them to the same thing when I play COP - medkits, bandages, anti-rad, energy drinks, in that order) and knowing the amount of them is only useful in maybe the first hour or two when resources are still somewhat scarce.

I like the look of the design of the HUD in your pic, especially the status box, though I agree that the side indicators should be scaled down a bit. They'd probably look nicer too since the sprite itself looks a little rough at the current size. I think the status box and minimap might benefit from being scaled down a bit as well, they look like they're taking up a little too much screen real estate currently. The smallest you can get them while still being legible, the better IMO.

I personally don't mind not having sound/visibility meters, I tend to stare at them too much if I have them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right, this is the second option. It's the "Oracl" hud. I personally like this one better. It's used in a few mods, so adapting it to this wasn't particularly difficult.

The large box in the top left is optional. I can easily get rid of that.

Without the motion icon aspect in the top left, it looks very clean with all the important info in one location, quite small, and the icons are not overly huge.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
You know, seeing that little gnome guy makes me wonder why we never got more info on how the humanoid mutants like controllers and such worked.

I mean in SoC one of them loving talks (Well, screams at you to :frogout:.) to you. They're clearly at least somewhat sentient.

Finding a colony of psychic mind loving mutants near the NPP would have been awesome. Also, absolutely horrifying if you stumbled into their little town before you realized that you were surrounded by multiple enemies applying the psychic debuffs to you. :stonk:

It's a shame S.T.A.L.K.E.R. got cut down from the original TES style world design they wanted. There's obviously so much they wanted to do and could have explored in terms of fluff story content, but didn't.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
The StalkerSoup mod adds a lot of backstory and detail about the controllers. I think there's a quest line about them, at certain times you find diary entries of former zone inhabitants written as they slowly mutated into controllers and notes from scientists studying them etc. It was all surprisingly well written and translated too. It's definitely a cool addition, but the way the story is implemented in the game makes some parts insanely difficult (every time you move from Garbage to the Bar, you face 1-3 controllers hidden in the vegetation beside the road)

Related: I'm playing through Misery 2.0 for CoP. I was wandering through the zone towards a small factory complex of some kind when I spotted a campfire with a few stalkers standing around - four around the fire, two patrolling nearby. I remember one of the guys by the fire looked a bit bulky from a distance, like he was wearing an exoskeleton or something. I needed some supplies and had a bit of loot to sell so I lower my weapon and walk towards them. As I get closer I notice patrolling stalkers are moving a bit strangely but I didn't think anything of it. I'm getting fairly close to the fire when the bulky guy turns around... I realise it isn't a guy in an exoskeleton, it's a Controller. And the stalkers are all zombies. The controller instantly kills me :geno: This loving game...

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahah, when he turned around was he sporting the biggest :smug: ever produced in the zone?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That controller questline is pretty much part of the "ARC" mod (Advanced Radiation and Cardiology)

This is the mod that makes artifacts radioactive even in your backpack and adds containers and such. The original version also had more effects of radiation, like it lowering your max health/stamina rather than just outright killing you.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Can someone do me a favor and remind me which SoC mod(s) add driveable cars? I'm starting to get tired of CoP and I've hit a snag in CS (basically I need to give a PDA to Sakharov but there's a constant stream of zombies in the area so I can't get into the bunker) but I wouldn't mind playing a more spiced-up SoC.

Also, looking at some of the content that was cut from SoC, it's a drat shame they didn't have the time to implement everything fully because this hypothetical Zone sounds pretty great. Hopefully some of the former-GSC guys can come up with something similar.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Can someone do me a favor and remind me which SoC mod(s) add driveable cars? I'm starting to get tired of CoP and I've hit a snag in CS (basically I need to give a PDA to Sakharov but there's a constant stream of zombies in the area so I can't get into the bunker) but I wouldn't mind playing a more spiced-up SoC.

Also, looking at some of the content that was cut from SoC, it's a drat shame they didn't have the time to implement everything fully because this hypothetical Zone sounds pretty great. Hopefully some of the former-GSC guys can come up with something similar.

Not sure which part of it is, perhaps DMX, but I've been playing Stalker Soup lately with SoC and that has cars in it. It's a pretty decent mod, but that cave part at the beginning was pretty ridiculous imo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I downloaded the Stalker Shaders recommended in the OP for CoP. But it kinda sounds, looking by the weird description in the website, that it isn't needed/doesn't work with CoP?

I played SoC a fair bit with Complete, how better is ZRP? Does it add anything else/different besides bug fixing?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Oblivion Lost, STALKERSOUP, OGSE, and RMA Old Storyline Restoration have cars, though I can't remember which version of OL I played. 2.2 I think, it's been a while.

As for cut content, Lost Alpha might see the light of day eventually. Until then RMA is your best bet.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really have no idea what the gently caress Tecnobacon is doing, since I've played both DMX 1.3.5 and Stalkersoup (Stalkersoup is supposed to be the english version of DMX) and DMX 1.3.5 is completely rock solid compared to Stalkersoup. I played for hours and encountered no crashes.

If you're going to play stalkersoup, I'd recommend installing DMX 1.3.5 instead and using the localization from Stalkersoup. Or just using this

Here are some more screens from the oracl hud. I've removed the motion icon, as it looked ugly. There's a few screenshots of different aspects, including the bioradar and helmets. The helmets are entirely optional, so you can switch them off with ease, but I've tried to make sure that none of the hud elements get covered up which can happen in some mods that feature them.

You can't really see it that well due to the broken icon, but at the bottom of the screen is the "artefact belt" part, which will display all the artifacts/devices you've got equipped.

e: I've also added this little badboy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMfzN5LZc3o

As far as I'm aware, this is one of the few shotguns not found in most other mods. Not even Stalkersoup has it.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 13, 2013

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If there a way to permanently anger the stalker/bandits faction in Call of Pripyat? Like say if i wanna waylay one of them, will that anger every instance of the faction.

Also, would there happen to be a mod that cleans up the binoculars a bit? I could'nt find one, but im not exactly experienced with S.T.A.L.K.E.R modding.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Dongattack posted:

Also, would there happen to be a mod that cleans up the binoculars a bit? I could'nt find one, but im not exactly experienced with S.T.A.L.K.E.R modding.
There's the absolute scopes pack: http://stalker.filefront.com/file/;113035

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ddraig, was it you or someone else that had a music fix for Misery? I'd kinda like having the whole song play instead of 20 seconds of it.

sobkas
Oct 11, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

Ddraig, was it you or someone else that had a music fix for Misery? I'd kinda like having the whole song play instead of 20 seconds of it.

There is a music mix:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482049&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=164#post419567870
I had some problems with it...

Filenames of ogg files contain characters that somehow breaks sound_theme.script. Renaming them and then correcting sound_theme.script fixed this problem for me.

sobkas fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2013

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I just had a strange experience with Clear Sky. I've got the game on Steam and I installed it last night with Complete. Got about two hours into the game last night and this morning with no problems. I started it up earlier and the screen went to black, as it always does, but then I noticed that my computer went to sleep. I moved my mouse to activate it, and it made the same sound it does when it is starting up, but it went back to sleep again. I tried again once more, but nothing happened. I then turned off my PC and the power wouldn't turn back on. I took out the battery, put it back in, and then it started up as normal. I tried to start the game again but the exact same sequence of events occurred. Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm baffled. I had zero problems with the game earlier, and I was enjoying it, but I think the Zone somehow got into my computer.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Sounds like some kind of problem with your computer and Clear Sky just gives it a push over the edge. Try disabling sleep mode in Power Options, updating your graphics drivers, checking your cpu/gpu temperatures, and check the "Windows Logs - System" in Event Viewer for when you start the game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I did make a music adding for Misery. It's of dubious quality. Will work with any other music mods provided you change the filenames and references in the sound theme script.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sly8veenq48kiaz/MLC%20Music%20Addon.7z

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

sobkas posted:

There is a music mix:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482049&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=164#post419567870
I had some problems with it...

Filenames of ogg files contain characters that somehow breaks sound_theme.script. Renaming them and then correcting sound_theme.script fixed this problem for me.

Huh, that's odd... I got them to work with my install. What kind of characters were verbotten?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
For those still playing Call of Pripyat two great mods have been released:

1) COP Original Weapons Renewal v2.0 - Replaces the crappy looking weapons in the default game with very high quality models that are downright sexy. I'm rocking an AK-74 all game long just because I love the look and reload sound/animation. Everything ejects on the right too.

2) Pripyat Reborn - Alundaio, author of previous AI Tweaks and author of the AI in Misery 2.0 released this mod which is a compilation of all his work which he is constantly updating. The AI is great, not to mention non-AI features he's included like the Unofficial Patch and his item mods. It has a couple of bugs at the moment but he's a smart guy so they'll go away before long.

--
I also mentioned a new LuaJit which ended up in the op. My question is, does anyone here know C++? If you do and love COP you could help everyone by downloading the newest version of LuaJit and re-writing it a bit so that the public API used in 2.x works like 1.1.8. The 2.x versions have the possibility of completely eliminating ALL stutter in the game and upwards of a 60% performance increase. See this thread and the various links for details: http://www.gsc-game.com/main.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr3&thm_page=1&thm_id=6030&page=1&sort=ASC&sec_id=18#113857

Swartz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 19, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Swartz posted:

For those still playing Call of Pripyat two great mods have been released:

1) COP Original Weapons Renewal v2.0 - Replaces the crappy looking weapons in the default game with very high quality models that are downright sexy. I'm rocking an AK-74 all game long just because I love the look and reload sound/animation. Everything ejects on the right too.

2) Pripyat Reborn - Alundaio, author of previous AI Tweaks and author of the AI in Misery 2.0 released this mod which is a compilation of all his work which he is constantly updating. The AI is great, not to mention non-AI features he's included like the Unofficial Patch and his item mods. It has a couple of bugs at the moment but he's a smart guy so they'll go away before long.

Any idea if these two mods are at all compatible with each other? I want to try out Pripyat Reborn but good lord those weapon models do not look good compared to everything else.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Any idea if these two mods are at all compatible with each other? I want to try out Pripyat Reborn but good lord those weapon models do not look good compared to everything else.

They're compatible, just don't use the system.ltx from Original Weapons Renewal and you're all set to merge.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm playing a runthrough with just Atmosfear and a realistic weapons mod on hard. I have the extra storms turned off through the atmosfear control panel though. I just like the better weather patterns.

Late in but what are you using? I come back to CoP every so often but it's hard to find a mod that just adds cool guns and aesthetic additions without messing with a bunch of stuff. Arsenal Overhaul is pretty ugly, unfortunately.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Arsenal Overhaul is pretty ugly, unfortunately.
How is it ugly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

E.Nigma posted:

How is it ugly?

I've swapped my install or I'd drop screens but the mossberg and various other guns had pretty poor models and textures for what's exclusively a weapon mod. The sound effects were weird sometimes too, though sometimes nice.