Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's a bit embarrassing that someone whipped that up and there's still no support for playing FLAC when it comes to local files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Whoa Spotiamp is awesome, thanks for posting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
How come sometimes songs will randomly become unavailable? Eg I've been listening to the new Deafheaven album for weeks now and all of a sudden nearly half the tracks have blanked out:

Is it unlikely they'll ever return?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I gave up trying to figure it out. Some songs disappeared off Maxinquaye one day, so I figured it was over sampling rights, but the next thing I noticed was a couple random Rakes songs disappeared which don't have any samples, though one of them was "The Light From Your Mac" so I thought "Maybe Apple is mad?"

Now I just don't even try and guess.

Weirder things happen too, like how there are two identical Labradford albums, one properly called "Fixed::Context" and the other one, recently added, called "Fixed : Content".

It's all a bit mad.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I've noticed that its mostly songs that are 10+ minutes that randomly disappear. At least with Deafheaven thats the case and i've seen it with other albums before.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
When the latest Sleigh Bells came out, about half the tracks disappeared the day after release, then came back a couple of days later. They also used to have about half of Clutch's discography, but it's been slowly disappearing. I saw Blast Tyrant come and go at least twice. I assume this kind of thing is all due to record label licensing deals, but it could be technical issues. No one outside Spotify really knows, because they just randomly remove and add tracks with no notice.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
I noticed no one here has mentioned Fidelify: http://www.fidelify.net/

It's a bit buggy, but makes a noticeable difference when paired with ASIO4All.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
And just like that the Deafhaven album is fully restored... :iiam:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

All of Black Sabbath's discography from the Ozzy era is on Spotify now.

Just thought you guys should know.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Friends Are Evil posted:

All of Black Sabbath's discography from the Ozzy era is on Spotify now.

Just thought you guys should know.

gently caress yes, thanks! Now there are really no gaping holes in the catalog for me. I own all the Beatles albums I would want so those can be added locally. Same with Tool. And AC/DC is one of my least favorite bands so that's not a hard hit.

Things will get interesting in the next few months with Beats Music coming out. I'm satisfied with Spotify, but they'll have to crank out new features if they want to stay ahead. Beats, who bought out MOG a while back, will be shutting down MOG in April. MOG users won't be able to transfer playlists to Beats so Spotify has a chance there to make a grab for audience. I'm not saying playlists can be transferred to Spotify, but maybe they can attract them in another way.

Beats will likely capture a large audience from their headphone sales. I imagine they'll be (if not already) bundling streaming plans with headphone purchases. I ride the train to work most days and it's just amazing how many pairs of their headphones you see on any given day. I'd wager many of them aren't aware of any streaming music options aside from Youtube. They will be soon.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

me your dad posted:

gently caress yes, thanks! Now there are really no gaping holes in the catalog for me. I own all the Beatles albums I would want so those can be added locally. Same with Tool. And AC/DC is one of my least favorite bands so that's not a hard hit.

I love that Spotify are adding more stuff but the locally adding thing is a pain when using a mobile device. This is where Google Play shines.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Tychtrip posted:

I love that Spotify are adding more stuff but the locally adding thing is a pain when using a mobile device. This is where Google Play shines.

I really hope Spotify is aware of this gap in their service and looking into something like that.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

jpotts posted:

I noticed no one here has mentioned Fidelify: http://www.fidelify.net/

It's a bit buggy, but makes a noticeable difference when paired with ASIO4All.

Really cool find, thank you for this.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Eight Is Legend posted:

I really hope Spotify is aware of this gap in their service and looking into something like that.

It's easy to add local stuff for me. :shrug:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Giving paid subscribers like a GB or five of space they can use to upload local tracks that aren't on Spotify to the cloud and play on any of their devices would be fantastic.

I could upload all my Beatles and King Crimson and random indie bands that just aren't on Spotify yet and basically have 0 gaps between being at home and being anywhere else.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I thought that a few weeks ago, but I'm sure they would run into some issues somewhere legally. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Another Person posted:

I thought that a few weeks ago, but I'm sure they would run into some issues somewhere legally. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

Google already does that so

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

Giving paid subscribers like a GB or five of space they can use to upload local tracks that aren't on Spotify to the cloud and play on any of their devices would be fantastic.

I could upload all my Beatles and King Crimson and random indie bands that just aren't on Spotify yet and basically have 0 gaps between being at home and being anywhere else.

If you don't physically carry the first 10 King Crimson albums on your person at all times you aren't a real music fan, in my opinion.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Earwicker posted:

If you don't physically carry the first 10 King Crimson albums on your person at all times you aren't a real music fan, in my opinion.

What's wrong with Thrak?

Being able to stream from the cloud with Google Play is nice but uploading to it is slow and it tends to break on my not-great tags. Fixing them takes forever because of the slow upload. Can't win.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Spotify newb here. Is there a way to check the bit rate of a song/album? I've got the premium version and the quality sounds very good, just wondering what the actual bit rate is.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caiman posted:

Spotify newb here. Is there a way to check the bit rate of a song/album? I've got the premium version and the quality sounds very good, just wondering what the actual bit rate is.

Answers here: https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-bitrate-does-Spotify-use-for-streaming

quote:

Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

~96 kbps
Normal quality on mobile.
~160 kbps
Desktop and web player standard quality.
High quality on mobile.
~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
Desktop high quality.
Extreme quality on mobile.

"Extreme"

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks. So does that mean I'm always hearing it at 320kbps, regardless of connection speed, signal strength, etc?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You have to go to the preferences window and select "high quality streaming"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I know this is a Spotify thread but somebody was recently hyping up Rdio to me. When I asked how the library compares to Spotify, they weren't really sure. Does anyone here have a lot of experience with both and could give a quick compare and contrast? I'm more concerned with the breadth of catalogue than misc features.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

I know this is a Spotify thread but somebody was recently hyping up Rdio to me. When I asked how the library compares to Spotify, they weren't really sure. Does anyone here have a lot of experience with both and could give a quick compare and contrast? I'm more concerned with the breadth of catalogue than misc features.

Rdio doesn't have a desktop program and I find their library isn't as large. The UI they have is nice though.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

thathonkey posted:

Library is a tiny bit smaller, although, having used Rdio the last 8 months and recently switched back to Spotify, i haven't really noticed anything missing. But my taste dont really extend beyond the year 1989 so that might be a factor in it. Their Collections function, mobile app and general UI is a whole lot better, although Spotify is better in allowing you to actually find new music, thanks to apps and such.

There is a desktop program, despite what the previous poster said.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tried Rdio out briefly, I like the Collections thing and the mobile ap looks nicer. Buuut, I searched for a few bands and one was missing entirely, another had only the latest album, and the last was missing a couple eps. So yeah I guess the library is smaller for like, less popular more recent bands?

This is based on like, a couple minutes of searching though and may not hold true for someone else's bullshit indie bands.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Spotify does have more exposure and a (slightly -- Rdio's really improved in the last year) larger library, but Rdio's UI and mobile app continue to be so much better than I just can't switch.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

It's so disappointing that they're still clinging to integer bitrates for conveying quality; I understand why they do it, but it's really aggravating because it just persists stupid beliefs about lossy audio encoding

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

het posted:

It's so disappointing that they're still clinging to integer bitrates for conveying quality; I understand why they do it, but it's really aggravating because it just persists stupid beliefs about lossy audio encoding

Care to elaborate on this?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

me your dad posted:

Would he ever!

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Sidebar: Let us take advantage of the social nature of Spotify and share some choice playlists:

Jazzy stuff,

Hip-Hop stuff,

and the best goddamn 80's throwback playlist I've ever seen.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Someone maintains a very comprehensive playlist of all the music used in Breaking Bad. I'm sure there's lots of other great "fan soundtrack" lists.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I spent too much time making this: http://open.spotify.com/user/monochromed/playlist/2ONhggmIwDUVAoE1if3hJq

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Followed. Because awesome.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

You are my hero

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was thinking about jumping over to Beats Music for a second there, but then I realize to it isn't as cool as Spotify is. In other news, the browse tab is back and I couldn't be more happier.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

We're terrible people for doing this. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE CONTAINED

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

me your dad posted:

Everyone gets stuck on these perceptions of bitrates from like 10 years ago where they always refer to Average Bitrate or Constant Bitrate when anyone doing this seriously should be using VBR profiles (and I assume spotify is doing so behind the scenes but "-q 3" is less meaningful to people than "~160kbps")

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's difficult to actually get the subtlety across, I'm just sick of talking to people who express mp3 encoding quality in terms of 128/160/192/256/320

Earwicker posted:

Would he ever!
Hush you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

het posted:

Everyone gets stuck on these perceptions of bitrates from like 10 years ago where they always refer to Average Bitrate or Constant Bitrate when anyone doing this seriously should be using VBR profiles (and I assume spotify is doing so behind the scenes but "-q 3" is less meaningful to people than "~160kbps")

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's difficult to actually get the subtlety across, I'm just sick of talking to people who express mp3 encoding quality in terms of 128/160/192/256/320

Hush you!

I still have no idea what you're talking about but that's fine. As long as the number is bigger I am satisfied. What's better than 320? Will we see 460!?

I'd like to see Spotify introduce a feature that would let you see how big (file size) a playlist is if it's in offline mode. I suppose I can dig into my file system in Android once it's synched to my phone but I'd much rather know before hand. I guess I could also roughly calculate it based on its bitrate (eek!) and length.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread