Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So should we be able to access the Stanly VM store now, or does it become available after the class is over? And how do I find the EDU vouchers for the reduced cost exam?

I had the same question. I e-mailed the instructor but I'll probably lose moodle access by the time he would actually respond. Argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a link to this:
https://vmware.stanly.edu/

It says you login with your moodle username/password, but if I try that it says it needs to be an email address. Neither <username>@stanly.edu or <username>@scc.stanly.edu worked.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

There's a link to this:
https://vmware.stanly.edu/

It says you login with your moodle username/password, but if I try that it says it needs to be an email address. Neither <username>@stanly.edu or <username>@scc.stanly.edu worked.

did they not alias/sso moodle? holy poo poo I did that poo poo for my job when I was 20.... what the gently caress....

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FWIW, my vmware.stanly.edu username is just my moodle username. Maybe they changed it after my class? IDK.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

FWIW, my vmware.stanly.edu username is just my moodle username. Maybe they changed it after my class? IDK.

Moodle IIRC uses MySQL if the engineer isn't competent he ported poo poo wrong.

Please PM me and I will see what I can do

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Yeah, I tried my username and password and it said that it wasn't correct. I thought that it was just something that wasn't available until after the class was finished.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It was made available a while ago. I don't remember if the instructor made it available, but I had an issue logging on to it that he had to do something to fix.

I scheduled my exam for the 21st - if you guys do buy the voucher with the quiz, just be wary that you have to use the voucher on an exam before 12/31 or it goes away.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Is there any training material for these Red Hat Certificates of Expertise other than the classes? Do they seriously expect people to pay $20000 for the RHCA lol, as if anyones even heard of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just scheduled SWITCH for the 27th because apparently the education center is closing down here and that's the absolute last date that I could do it. Hopefully they re-open it so I can take TSHOOT.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm sorry if this isn't allowed or frowned upon but I'm selling my CCNA lab to fund my next exams so if you're in the UK you might be interested in some of it. Just some 2600s/2950s and some nice expansion cards for CCNA/CCNA voice.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
This seems like a really dumb question, but I'm having difficulty finding a straight answer: what qualifies as valid ID for PearsonVUE testing centers for CompTIA tests? Their site says:

quote:

"We ask that you arrive at the test center 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will give you adequate time to complete the necessary sign-in procedures. Please be prepared to show two (2) valid forms of personal ID; one must be a valid Government issued ID. Both must have your signature, and one of the two must have your photo. The name on the registration must match the names on the IDs exactly."

My driver's license is the primary obviously, but what would constitute another? I have current credit cards, but they don't have my full name, at most just my middle initial; the same holds true for my health insurance and auto insurance cards. What does PearsonVUE / CompTIA consider valid forms of secondary ID? I'm assuming exactly means exactly and I'll need a second ID with my full middle name as well.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 16, 2013

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've always used a credit card, but have recently been using my concealed carry permit as my second ID. My credit cards only have my middle initial, and don't have Jr. like my ID.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I used my license and social security card at a PearsonVUE center here in California.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
I've always used a credit card (without middle name). If your Pearson account is John Smith and the card says John A Smith it won't matter.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks. Getting ready to take the A+ exams next month and wanted to make sure I had my bases covered.

On that subject, I worked my way through the Sybex study guide for A+ over the last couple months and at the end of each chapter they had a Performance Based question separate from their multiple choice reviews where they ask you to do some procedure. On the exams are these more like essay questions, or are they presented in multiple choice format as well and you need to choose the best or correct methodology (an example from the Sybex book was a question on the process to replace memory modules in a standard desktop PC).

e: Ah, found it. They launch a simulated environment. Interesting.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 16, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just gave 185 to Stanly CC. Should finally become a VCP soon!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Moey posted:

Just gave 185 to Stanly CC. Should finally become a VCP soon!

Very good choice, especially as one of the perks of the class is a voucher for 70% off the test. You also get a one year free trial of vCenter Standard, which can be extended for a second year. The voucher alone drat near pays for the cost of the class.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Very good choice, especially as one of the perks of the class is a voucher for 70% off the test. You also get a one year free trial of vCenter Standard, which can be extended for a second year. The voucher alone drat near pays for the cost of the class.

This. I didn't know about the voucher and bought the prep quiz + voucher + retake if failed package for $225, and then a few days later got the "oh here's the VMware store and coupon" email.

Do yourself a favor to make maximum use of your time: get a prep book and study it while you're doing the classes. Even if you hang on his every word, take notes, and do the exercises, the stuff covered on the exam is woefully inadequate with what the course covers. There is so much in the Sybex book (which IMO isn't super-great, it's very much a technical manual and not a learning tool) that wasn't gone into in-depth in the class. It'll save you time so you don't realize "that's it?" when the course ends and you think it's time to prep up.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is the Scott Lowe 'Mastering vSphere 5' book a decent enough replacement for whatever Stanly course materials there are?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes. In fact I'd say it's superior to those materials in literally every conceivable way.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My only gripe with the book is the quality of the paper is pretty low compared to most books. A lame complaint because the book is otherwise awesome.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ozu posted:

Is the Scott Lowe 'Mastering vSphere 5' book a decent enough replacement for whatever Stanly course materials there are?

Great book. I am really just using the Stanly course as my "rubber stamp" so I can sit the exam. I don't expect to really learn anything from it.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Can someone recommend a good book to use for the Net+ exam? Preferably one with the practice tests and the like, too.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I used this one http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Netwo...ybex+network%2B and the Professor Messer videos. Passed it easily. The book doesn't come with the test prep stuff on a CD you have to go to the URL it gives and download it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Moey posted:

Great book. I am really just using the Stanly course as my "rubber stamp" so I can sit the exam. I don't expect to really learn anything from it.
Thanks. I think that's what most people are doing. I have the pre-req course for the VCP4 complete but I'd still need a $1800 refresh if I wanted to sit VCP5. Stanly is the way to go.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

The Dreamer posted:

I used this one http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Netwo...ybex+network%2B and the Professor Messer videos. Passed it easily. The book doesn't come with the test prep stuff on a CD you have to go to the URL it gives and download it.

Merci!

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
I know this is a smaller, more specific cert, but anyone here had to take the Kofax Capture certification with training? It's some of the driest video training I've had in awhile.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Just bought my VCP5 exam voucher - I love paying $67.50 for a $225 exam. The Stanly CC course basically paid for itself. I figure I'll sit the exam at the end of February, so that gives me 2 months to read Scott Lowe's book and lab the hell out of my system. I'm downloading the vCenter Standard iso that comes with a free 2-yr trial from the Stanly VMware store, so this should be lots of fun. Now I just need to set up a nested ESXi host so I can play with DRS, vMotion and HA.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just took and passed my VCP5 with a 406 - and oh man is the Sybex book not the best at teaching a LOT of the stuff, or at least not in a "hey, seriously, this is probably going to be on the exam" part.

Good for a cover-to-cover overview of what's on the blueprint and how to do it, bad for getting a lot of the little things in there. I had to make a lot of educated guesses, a lot of "think through the entirety of vSphere Client" to get to a lot of answers. Others were less difficult. But it was a tough one.

Glad it's over... and now I can take a few months to get into XenServer, which is what my current job uses, rendering the VCP useless for now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm planning on taking my CCENT in January- I've taken two practice tests, both scoring in the high 80s (main weakpoints are IPv4/IPv6 summarization, and the more memorization-based bits, like matching given services/well-known-ports to TCP/UDP).

My question, I guess, is how much help will this be in terms of getting me hired? My main issue is that my degree (BS in Physics), and my work experience (software development internships with DoD/DoE contractors) aren't too relevant to networking jobs. The CCENT seems to be, well, entry-level, so as someone with almost no network-related work experience, how much trouble would I find getting an entry-level (including helpdesk) position in that field? Would taking the CCNA before seriously looking for positions be a good idea?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, with a CCNA and software development experience you might be able to land a Jr. Sysadmin gig somewhere. But otherwise, helpdesk is the entriest of entry-level positions and they don't really expect you to come in with too much, so a CCENT is fantastic. That being said, bust your rear end to get the CCNA so you can move on to something less terrible in 6 months.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MJP posted:

Glad it's over... and now I can take a few months to get into XenServer, which is what my current job uses, rendering the VCP useless for now.

Xenserver has been trash without custom configs/scripts supporting it, is it any good felt like ESX 3.5 everytime I've used it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Xenserver has been trash without custom configs/scripts supporting it, is it any good felt like ESX 3.5 everytime I've used it.

I've only poked around XenStudio a little bit browsing through it. I just started at the company last month, but we'll be doing a hardware refresh next year - I definitely plan to go down either the XenDesktop or XenServer route.

Also forgot to mention: any goons want my Sybex VCP5 book? Only a few highlights in it, I ended up just writing down notes. Yours for the cost of USPS shipping from 07083, probably can't get it out until after Christmas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

psydude posted:

Well, with a CCNA and software development experience you might be able to land a Jr. Sysadmin gig somewhere. But otherwise, helpdesk is the entriest of entry-level positions and they don't really expect you to come in with too much, so a CCENT is fantastic. That being said, bust your rear end to get the CCNA so you can move on to something less terrible in 6 months.

Alright, thanks for the advice :) . I've already enrolled in Cisco ICND2 courses at a local community college which will run the next semester- they have an excellent lab setup, which is wonderful- I've even managed to convince the IT department there to let me in there off-hours to use as a study area. Maybe a bit optimistic, since I haven't passed the ICND1 yet, but I'm feeling fairly positive about it right now- two or three weeks of self-study should do the trick.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MJP posted:

I've only poked around XenStudio a little bit browsing through it. I just started at the company last month, but we'll be doing a hardware refresh next year - I definitely plan to go down either the XenDesktop or XenServer route.

XenDesktop can run on Vmware and is actually recommended IIRC. XenServer every time I have used it is complete poo poo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

XenDesktop can run on Vmware and is actually recommended IIRC. XenServer every time I have used it is complete poo poo.

My boss isn't a big fan of VMware licensing costs, though. There's no real drive to bail from XS/XD right now, but he wasn't pooh-poohing me getting my VCP despite that. Maybe things will change, who knows. If not, it behooves me to take the XS cert down the line. With that, the Hyper-V from my MCSA, and VCP, it couldn't hurt to be a virtualization triple threat.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MJP posted:

My boss isn't a big fan of VMware licensing costs, though. There's no real drive to bail from XS/XD right now, but he wasn't pooh-poohing me getting my VCP despite that. Maybe things will change, who knows. If not, it behooves me to take the XS cert down the line. With that, the Hyper-V from my MCSA, and VCP, it couldn't hurt to be a virtualization triple threat.

I wish you the best in keeping a decent liver health

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I wish you the best in keeping a decent liver health

I wanted an excuse to buy a bottle of Hibiki anyway.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I got my CCNA a coupleish years ago, and work is paying for CCNP classes for me this year. Do I need to backtrack and learn the new stuff in CCNA v5 before those classes or should I be comfortable that anything I missed from taking the older CCNA I'll more than make up directly in studying for the current CCNP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No. If anything the new CCNA just goes into some CCNP material for OSPF and EIGRP, but I don't think you'll be missing anything by just plowing ahead with the CCNP.