Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

victrix posted:

This is the same contest that doesn't even have links to the roguelikes in question. It's a pretty dumb page all around.
I remember late 2011, wondering if I'd ever see Dungeonmans through to the point where I could get it up there.

:dukedog:

My only regret is that I didn't think to name my game Dungeon Penetrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Ahaha Noxico is on the poll. Give it a try folks, it won't disappoint :thumbsup: I recall someone mentioning it somehow being on last year's poll and I decided to stream it for some friends. Very cool, very slick :angel:

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Levitate posted:

Yeah I did the tutorial and read the manual some. Just not sure how much to invest in what skills and attributes but yeah I guess starting off you can't go too wrong dumping a lot into melee and evasion
Investing in skills is always a good idea, and one point makes a bigger difference than you'd expect. Buy abilities that look cool/useful, but don't blow tons of xp on them. If it feels like enemies are hitting/critting you too often, and you can't hit anything, it's because you're not putting enough xp in skills (especially melee and evasion).

Also, stealth is really really good. A couple points in it is the difference between picking your fights and having to wade through a never ending flood of orc archers.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is a stream of someone playing a good newbie melee/brawler build: http://youtu.be/dthj73CBpRU

Charge, dodge and flanking will get you past the early game.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Gog.com has a sale today on this bundle of games with roguelike elements.
http://www.gog.com/promo/roguelikelike_bundlelike_70_off_winter_promo_2013

Spelunky
FTL
The Pit + DLC
Rogue Legacy

I haven't played The Pit yet but love the rest of these games, and 70% is a drat fine deal!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Herosiege is out. Tried it on my tablet but runs really slow. Think I might pick it up on PC though
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182280302

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Farquar posted:

Gog.com has a sale today on this bundle of games with roguelike elements.
http://www.gog.com/promo/roguelikelike_bundlelike_70_off_winter_promo_2013

Steam has truly destroyed my game buying habits. I selected the one I wanted and then said, "Only 50% off? Screw this."

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I'd just like to point out that Playism is having a holiday sale so you can get One Way Heroics for $1 if $2 was just way too rich for your blood.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Emong posted:

I'd just like to point out that Playism is having a holiday sale so you can get One Way Heroics for $1 if $2 was just way too rich for your blood.

Gah I really want to try this game but every time I try and buy it with the Pay with Debit Card or Credit Card option paypal takes my info and then kicks me back to the order page while taking a dollar from my account.

Screw you paypal

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Harminoff posted:

Herosiege is out. Tried it on my tablet but runs really slow. Think I might pick it up on PC though
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182280302

I'd impulse buy this at $5-7 or so, but 12€ for what looks like Arena of Isaac? gently caress you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It Did Not End Well is a remarkably good name for a roguelike.

E: There's a PonyRL :stare:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'd impulse buy this at $5-7 or so, but 12€ for what looks like Arena of Isaac? gently caress you.

Given the nature of game / sale prices, if you want to sell your game for 5$, you need to price it at 15$ retail.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Heads up, Oryx is looking for a C programmer who can help him keep Brogue tiles up to date.
Email him at oryx at oryxdesignlab.com

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Does anyone have opinions on Delver?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The problem with Roguelike of the Year polls is that last year's best roguelikes and this year's best roguelikes probably overlap a lot. There just aren't that many good new roguelikes released.

Most new roguelikes are someone thinking 'Hmmm I'll make a roguelike' and then giving up after 6 months.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Corridor posted:

The last I heard everything that Delver does Eldritch does better, YMMV.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Corridor posted:

Played it, beat it, liked it, don't really have any urge to play it again. I think it has potential but there just isn't enough to it now. It's early access and the dev is very active so I have high hopes for it. When the next content patch comes out I'll play it again.

For the $4 I got it for I think it's worth it. Wait for it to be on sale on Steam. Haven't played Eldritch so I can't compare but I've heard mixed reviews about it, and also that it's focused more on stealth.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Eldritch is not a very good game imo.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Somehow I'm not surprised since it looks like Peak Indie Garbage.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Corridor posted:

I enjoy it! Not the deepest game right now but it's fun to run around and sword/arrow things apart. The player is a very simple entity and there's not a lot of choice, but hey it's early access.

Corridor posted:

Eldritch is not a very good game imo.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised since it looks like Peak Indie Garbage.

drat. Well Corridor what don't you like about it? I'll admit, it doesn't do it for me 100%. I've played it a few times, gotten about halfway through the second book, but I've yet to feel a burning desire to push all the way through. It feels a touch repetitive, if I had to label it.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
My impression of Eldritch was that it felt like an Early Access game but it's not one. All the sound effects sound like the devs mumbling into a mic.

e: When I finally died on my first run it was because a worm was biting my toes while I was trying to fight a frog man. I would never have even known if the camera didn't drop to the floor. It didn't fill me with the desire to keep trying!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

Good news! It's currently on sale for $6.50: http://www.desura.com/games/hero-siege

E: Every review of it seems like it's just BoI with more items and fewer quality of life improvements or something equally dismal; haven't played it myself. Looks neat though.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2013

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I don't know if if is exclusive or not to the Android port I have right now, but Sil is currently starting with a Christmas present in my inventory that contains a random artifact, though a bad feeling happens for opening it before Christmas. They sure are helping with the early game though!(I'm terrible at Sil)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

I don't know if if is exclusive or not to the Android port I have right now, but Sil is currently starting with a Christmas present in my inventory that contains a random artifact, though a bad feeling happens for opening it before Christmas. They sure are helping with the early game though!(I'm terrible at Sil)

Yep, this is a thing, and not exclusive to Android. Have fun with your present!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

madjackmcmad posted:

I enjoy it! Not the deepest game right now but it's fun to run around and sword/arrow things apart. The player is a very simple entity and there's not a lot of choice, but hey it's early access.

drat. Well Corridor what don't you like about it? I'll admit, it doesn't do it for me 100%. I've played it a few times, gotten about halfway through the second book, but I've yet to feel a burning desire to push all the way through. It feels a touch repetitive, if I had to label it.

I suppose it feels repetitive because the enemies tend to respawn a lot and they pose no threat to a reasonably able gamer. In your combing through an area you can pass through a particular part of the floor even five times and in most cases there will be an enemy to fight even if you killed them just moments ago. You can skip a lot of the areas but then again it would be better if the dev streamlined the core game.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Hey, have the contest prizes gone out? I haven't received anything and just want to make sure it's not something wrong on my end. (I picked Dungeonmans and am super excited about it).

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

lordfrikk posted:

I suppose it feels repetitive because the enemies tend to respawn a lot and they pose no threat to a reasonably able gamer. In your combing through an area you can pass through a particular part of the floor even five times and in most cases there will be an enemy to fight even if you killed them just moments ago. You can skip a lot of the areas but then again it would be better if the dev streamlined the core game.

I found that true on my trip down but coming up I wanted to rush through it and got my rear end handed to me.

That said, the graphics have improved a bunch and seem to be getting even better. Also the developer is trying to make it easily moddable which is always a good thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

korora posted:

Hey, have the contest prizes gone out? I haven't received anything and just want to make sure it's not something wrong on my end. (I picked Dungeonmans and am super excited about it).

I think there are a few still to go out - madjackmcmad, how would you like to handle hooking up korora?

I still have to send Corridor and doctorfrog something. That's it, I believe.

I'm not going to give doctorfrog my copy of FTL given he already owns it, so if anyone wants it, the next person to post some kind of RL review is welcome to it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I have a copy of The Pit I can give to one of them if they want it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

korora posted:

Hey Korora! The alpha isn't out yet but you're in, day 1. Email me, jim@dungeonmans.com, and I'll have you ready to go when the alpha happens, and I'll also give you the zircon albums that were in the $25 and up sweetener for the Kickstarter.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

What everyone else said. It feels like an alpha game but it isn't. Enemies respawn instantly but they are poo poo. I wandered around for ages killing everything I ran into with zero effort, just using the knife. I had a pistol but never used it. Had a spell, never used it. Collected a ton of tokens, never used them. Only times I ever lost health were trying to hop over spikes. I felt there was no point to playing. Eventually I ran into a shoggoth or something, and was so bored that I suicided by taking it on melee. Then uninstalled.

Also it looks like rear end.

e. I already have FTL and The Pit on gog or wherever. You're not obliged to give me poo poo though, I just a huge sperg and like writing game reviews.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 21, 2013

korora
Sep 3, 2011

madjackmcmad posted:

Hey Korora! The alpha isn't out yet but you're in, day 1. Email me, jim@dungeonmans.com, and I'll have you ready to go when the alpha happens, and I'll also give you the zircon albums that were in the $25 and up sweetener for the Kickstarter.
Oh cool, I didn't realize the alpha isn't out yet. Just sent you an email.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Corridor posted:

What everyone else said. It feels like an alpha game but it isn't. Enemies respawn instantly but they are poo poo. I wandered around for ages killing everything I ran into with zero effort, just using the knife. I had a pistol but never used it. Had a spell, never used it. Collected a ton of tokens, never used them. Only times I ever lost health were trying to hop over spikes. I felt there was no point to playing. Eventually I ran into a shoggoth or something, and was so bored that I suicided by taking it on melee. Then uninstalled.

Also it looks like rear end.

Yeah the game really feels half-baked. There's a grand total of I think 5 usable items, of which only the pistol and the knife are useful. Maybe 4 spells which are all bad except the "make a block" spell, and a bunch of generally useless accessories. The devs seemed to assume players would be slow and sneaky, but with how stupid and useless enemies are you can just bunnyhop around everything. Really, the nicest thing I can say about Eldritch was that you could really zoom around levels, especially with jump boots and an amulet of destruction. Also you hands look like drumsticks and half the time the enemies just kill themselves. The only challenge in the game are the statues that insta-kill you if you look away from them.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

S.T.C.A. posted:

Good news! It's currently on sale for $6.50: http://www.desura.com/games/hero-siege

E: Every review of it seems like it's just BoI with more items and fewer quality of life improvements or something equally dismal; haven't played it myself. Looks neat though.

Could someone give some opinions on this? It does look pretty fun but 7 bucks for a roguelike when I have half a dozen I haven't beat that I got for free, I need to be convinced.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Space Bat posted:

Also you hands look like drumsticks and half the time the enemies just kill themselves.

Haha they do, on both counts.

Really frequently I would come across a monster corpse that had wandered into spikes or fallen from something high. Half the time I would hear them and not even bother checking for the body. Monster suicide was part of the ambient noise.

The most frequent enemies I'd find dead on floor spikes were the floating eyeballs. You know, the monsters that can not only fly, but fly anywhere in all directions and altitudes. They would kill themselves by managing to move onto the relatively rare spots that are dangerous on the floor. They did this all the loving time! Like a full two thirds of the eyeballs deaths in that game were unrelated to me.

I didn't get far enough to see the blink angels or whatever, that sounds actually interesting.

e. you don't realise how important idle animations are to immersion until you see a neutral shopkeeper npc standing totally still like a static object.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I remember one other thing that bugged me about Eldritch. I bombed one of those spooky ancient statues expecting something terrible to happen, ala bombing Kali's altar in Spelunkey.

Not only did nothing cool happen, but the statue stayed floating in mid-air, unharmed. And! When you looked underneath, the model literally had no polys on the bottom so you could see through it. Did they just never think someone would blow the statue up?

superh fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 21, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It is literally an alpha game. One that the devs looked at and went "eh gently caress it that'll do".

Then instead of fixing poo poo and adding actual content and rebalancing, they released a dlc of a bunch more levels.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Corridor posted:

Haha they do, on both counts.

Really frequently I would come across a monster corpse that had wandered into spikes or fallen from something high. Half the time I would hear them and not even bother checking for the body. Monster suicide was part of the ambient noise.

The most frequent enemies I'd find dead on floor spikes were the floating eyeballs. You know, the monsters that can not only fly, but fly anywhere in all directions and altitudes. They would kill themselves by managing to move onto the relatively rare spots that are dangerous on the floor. They did this all the loving time! Like a full two thirds of the eyeballs deaths in that game were unrelated to me.

I didn't get far enough to see the blink angels or whatever, that sounds actually interesting.

e. you don't realise how important idle animations are to immersion until you see a neutral shopkeeper npc standing totally still like a static object.

The blink angels start out sort of interesting because there's a big shock when suddenly you die when you look away for a second, but after a while they just become annoying. Sometimes they can't follow you up to a different floor of the dungeon, sometimes they can. Still, they're about the only thing that ever added any tension to the game. Rlyeh was pretty much just enemies with tons of HP aimlessly wandering around stupidly.

Edit: On a less cynical note, I do think Dungeons of the Endless has potential. I've beaten the alpha a few more times since my last post and it's still a lot of fun, although the RNG can really gently caress you. I'm looking forward to seeing what the devs are planning on adding.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 21, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yep, this is a thing, and not exclusive to Android. Have fun with your present!

What is the bad feeling you get? Is it the same roll penalty from having sils on the ascent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What is the bad feeling you get? Is it the same roll penalty from having sils on the ascent?

Um, not certain :shobon: But it's definitely a bad thing; opening your present early is one of those risk/reward tradeoff things.