Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
1991 Comanche, factory 4.0L, factory 2wd AW4 automatic, d35 rear, p225/75r15 tires.

I changed the air filter, plugs/wires, and the oil. That's about it.

4.0L engine (spare), transmission, transfer case, radiator, a full beer cooler, tent, all my camping gear, two spare front axleshafts, two spare rear axleshafts, front and rear spare driveshafts, engine hoist, 100+lb toolbag, entire vehicle worth of spare fluids, me, and a pile of random parts I was bringing to a friend.

That was all highway miles going through the appalachians in PA (up... down... up... down... gently caress YOU HOLY poo poo WHY DID I CHOOSE THIS ROUTE) while so incredibly hung over that I barely touched the throttle and did 55-65 the entire way.

I didn't believe the numbers either, but I redid them twice with GPS verified mileage (my odo was within 1%) and fuel consumption was measured from full tank to refilled tank.

My crapcan cherokee with 4x4, automatic, and 235 series tires routinely gets 21-22mpg during the summer with me driving 75-80 on the highway back and forth to work, too.

It's all about throttle usage and engine management system maintenance. The ECU will only feed the engine as much fuel as it needs to burn the air you give it. Stay out of the throttle and maintain a reasonable steady speed (many engine control systems will drop out of closed loop and run a bit rich under mid to heavy acceleration, check if yours does, this means wasting fuel) rather than losing and gaining speed at random.

I can also make the same engines get 12mpg or less if I am driving in anger and/or offroad.

Oh, and here's something a friend of mine posted on facebook:

Not sure this engine is gonna do much more for him :v:

350 in a blazer, beat the poo poo out of it in a mudhole at like 7000rpm and a few things came loose. IIRC some water ended up in the wrong spots in the engine too.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All the German engineers who could do things efficiently for the common man were put to death after World War II. :v:

"Why make it simple when complicated will do?"

I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point but it rings true every time. When I start my own company one day our entire design manual will be different arguments against that saying. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

1991 Comanche, factory 4.0L, factory 2wd AW4 automatic, d35 rear, p225/75r15 tires.

I changed the air filter, plugs/wires, and the oil. That's about it.

4.0L engine (spare), transmission, transfer case, radiator, a full beer cooler, tent, all my camping gear, two spare front axleshafts, two spare rear axleshafts, front and rear spare driveshafts, engine hoist, 100+lb toolbag, entire vehicle worth of spare fluids, me, and a pile of random parts I was bringing to a friend.

That was all highway miles going through the appalachians in PA (up... down... up... down... gently caress YOU HOLY poo poo WHY DID I CHOOSE THIS ROUTE) while so incredibly hung over that I barely touched the throttle and did 55-65 the entire way.

I didn't believe the numbers either, but I redid them twice with GPS verified mileage (my odo was within 1%) and fuel consumption was measured from full tank to refilled tank.

My crapcan cherokee with 4x4, automatic, and 235 series tires routinely gets 21-22mpg during the summer with me driving 75-80 on the highway back and forth to work, too.

It's all about throttle usage and engine management system maintenance. The ECU will only feed the engine as much fuel as it needs to burn the air you give it. Stay out of the throttle and maintain a reasonable steady speed (many engine control systems will drop out of closed loop and run a bit rich under mid to heavy acceleration, check if yours does, this means wasting fuel) rather than losing and gaining speed at random.

I can also make the same engines get 12mpg or less if I am driving in anger and/or offroad.

Oh, and here's something a friend of mine posted on facebook:

Not sure this engine is gonna do much more for him :v:

350 in a blazer, beat the poo poo out of it in a mudhole at like 7000rpm and a few things came loose. IIRC some water ended up in the wrong spots in the engine too.

I haven't managed to break 18 MPG in my '95 Cherokee, and it's a 4-banger, 5-speed. Mostly city driving, though. I'll have to take it on a long highway trip and see how she does. Probably should just drop in a 4.0 if it's going to get the same mileage. I'd appreciate the extra 60 horses.

Also: holy gently caress that 350.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

jammyozzy posted:

"Why make it simple when complicated will do?"

Somehow I think this also fits into this discussion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I routinely get 18-19mpg in town and 23+ on the highway. I'm pretty sure my TPS is dying at the moment as well.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

What were you driving and how was it geared? I never saw higher than 17MPG when I had a TJ but I routinely get 23MPG highway in my Cherokee.

2001 XJ 4x4 with 3.73 gears and automatic. It also had 31" BFG tires, Cragar steel wheels, and a 3" lift which might have something to do with it. To be fair I never really took it on any road trips long enough to fill an entire gas tank and empty it on nothing but highway miles, so my number is probably a bit skewed from stop and go here and there. But it never achieved 20+ mpg in the 2.5 years I owned it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I'm pretty sure this belongs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En47S7LM9zE

:staredog:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cananevada.mpg :colbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This came up, I think, over in AI a while back. It's an actual product.
http://www.thestickler.com/

I'd probably use a big hammer rather than my leg to manipulate the wood, however.

Edit: Oh wait, this is AI. Maybe it was in TFR?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 21, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

At 0:51, I suddenly needed a crowbar for the chair that my rear end had eaten. Jaysus.

e: looking at their website, this furious deathcone can be yours for the low low price of $279. :what:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 21, 2013

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
It would have been great if that one piece got lodged under a tire and the truck drove away.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The idiots even chose to setup their work surface on the exhaust side of the vehicle, really explains a lot. :downs:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really hope that this isn't a real thing and someone put up the site / product for the lulz. I can't imagine the first time someone actually buys it, uses it and gets hurt (Probably all the same instance). The Lawyers will be lining up to grab the last .10 that the creators own.

Lets put a giant screw on a hub and hope people attaching logs to it actually split wood and don't die.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No sale, unless it comes in a 4 pack. :colbert:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I haven't managed to break 18 MPG in my '95 Cherokee, and it's a 4-banger, 5-speed. Mostly city driving, though. I'll have to take it on a long highway trip and see how she does. Probably should just drop in a 4.0 if it's going to get the same mileage. I'd appreciate the extra 60 horses.

Also: holy gently caress that 350.

According to my research the 4.0 gets better fuel economy than the 4 cyl.

I've been averaging 20-21 on my 98 Cherokee (4wd/5speed) with the 4.0 in mixed city/hwy driving. It really is all about throttle modulation, they are so torquey they will accelerate with the lightest touch. You just gotta be prepared to wait a second to get up to speed. I'm looking forward to taking it on some road trips and seeing how good I can do with only freeway driving.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

tater_salad posted:

I really hope that this isn't a real thing and someone put up the site / product for the lulz. I can't imagine the first time someone actually buys it, uses it and gets hurt (Probably all the same instance). The Lawyers will be lining up to grab the last .10 that the creators own.

Lets put a giant screw on a hub and hope people attaching logs to it actually split wood and don't die.

I really don't understand why everyone is so scared of this. Its not like its spinning super fast and if you just beat it on with a hammer it probably wouldn't look as scary. This is probably for splitting lots of wood, which I'm sure a axe would get tiring after a while.

I mean have you ever seen wood splitting machines? They normally use tons of hydraulic pressure and will remove limbs as well as split logs.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

InterceptorV8 posted:

Somehow I think this also fits into this discussion.

:psyduck: That's that gun that fires caseless ammunition, why is it full of clockwork?

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 21, 2013

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Valt posted:

I really don't understand why everyone is so scared of this. Its not like its spinning super fast and if you just beat it on with a hammer it probably wouldn't look as scary. This is probably for splitting lots of wood, which I'm sure a axe would get tiring after a while.

I mean have you ever seen wood splitting machines? They normally use tons of hydraulic pressure and will remove limbs as well as split logs.

Exactly, this has been posted in here before and that was the same general consensus. So remember kids things to split logs are dangerous. Wether its jethro in Kentucky using his F-350 and that device or, Dave in the north Canadian woods using a hydraulic fancy machine. Either one will gently caress you up if not treated with the respect it deserves. you guys are just picking on jethro because he's smoking a GPC and hasn't cut his hair in a while.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boat posted:

:psyduck: That's that gun that fires caseless ammunition, why is it full of clockwork?

The mag fed cartridges facing straight down, the breech had to rotate the cartridge 90 degrees, lock, seal the chamber, and then keep rotating to vent the chamber, and feed the next round, all at instantaneous rates of fire around 2000 rounds per minute...

It's basically the best :germany: gif ever conceived.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Valt posted:

Yeah, it's not like it's an axe head welded to a flywheel with no safety mechanisms whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ejWHlPLaE

That's totally a good idea.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've always been partial to this splitter. Relies mostly on torque, not power like the nightmare wheel there, and basically no way to hurt yourself unless you literally lay your hand across the top of the log.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVs3PfgCsjw

\/E: "i recommend a kickback shield" :downs:\/

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 21, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, it's not like it's an axe head welded to a flywheel with no safety mechanisms whatsoever.

:stonklol:

How that guy isn't missing most of his fingers I will never know. I love the 'had a few malfunctions' line

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The story I'm seeing here is that rednecks really hate chopping wood.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

xzzy posted:

The story I'm seeing here is that rednecks really hate chopping wood.

Well you'd hate it too after you've had to split a cord of firewood by hand. A good splitter (of which none of these contraptions are admittedly) can do in an hour what would take an entire morning by hand.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Delivery McGee posted:

quote:

Jack Dickson

To Figginwidowmaker: Well most don't approve of the seeming dangerous limb lopping device. The truth of the matter, as I see it, is it's like interacting with a wild animal, if you show fear and apprehension you're done. I've cut near 20+ cord since the video and not as much as a splinter. The video looks as though each chop is near amputation, I keep at least 10 inches from any part of the wheel and with a couple small improvements to prevent kickbacks it just makes noise.................as well as scaring the hell out of onlookers. NO FEAR! Thanks for the input though, its much appreciated.

Holy loving idiot.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
But hey he's got gloves!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

According to my research the 4.0 gets better fuel economy than the 4 cyl.

I've been averaging 20-21 on my 98 Cherokee (4wd/5speed) with the 4.0 in mixed city/hwy driving. It really is all about throttle modulation, they are so torquey they will accelerate with the lightest touch. You just gotta be prepared to wait a second to get up to speed. I'm looking forward to taking it on some road trips and seeing how good I can do with only freeway driving.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. The 4-banger wasn't my choice - this was a freind-of-the-family type of deal that was too good to pass up. I would have rather had the 4.0, but for $600, in as good a shape as it's in, I'll take it. The 5-speed was a bonus, too. The 2.5L is fine for the daily drive I do. I would love more oomph, but if I really have a craving, I have a '90 RX-7 for sporty, and a '70 Olds Cutlass for muscle. The little truck does a fine job of hauling bulky stuff, and is way easier to get in and out of than the RX-7. Better mileage, too. :)
If the engine ever gives up I'll stuff in a 4.0L. Maybe if I just find a cheap one. Or another deal on a Cherokee. I'd kind of like a '95-up 4.0L 4x4 5-speed, if I can find one. '97-up would be nice for the more modern interior.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrYenko posted:

The mag fed cartridges facing straight down, the breech had to rotate the cartridge 90 degrees, lock, seal the chamber, and then keep rotating to vent the chamber, and feed the next round, all at instantaneous rates of fire around 2000 rounds per minute...

It's basically the best :germany: gif ever conceived.

Please post this gif if you have it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

Please post this gif if you have it?

I've never seen an animated gif of the mechanism, but here's a pair of stills to help you picture it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
At least it's named right. . . I'm not quite sure if I would feel safe using this thing or not. Video filmed at four frames per second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4GmFX3Puo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress is wrong with people :psyduck:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jesus Christ. I have a gasoline/hydraulic splitter up at my cottage because we cut hundreds of trees to put the actually cottage in (Don't worry there's 90 acres of protected forest) And fuuuuuck doing that with a maul.

That wheel of death thing doesn't even split logs properly.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Colonel Sanders posted:

At least it's named right. . . I'm not quite sure if I would feel safe using this thing or not. Video filmed at four frames per second.

Well, it has some safety features, unlike the first one posted. Looks like it makes a big mess though.

What is wrong with hydraulics? Couldn't you use a little engine like that to pump some hydraulic fluid through broken down excavator parts bought at the junk yard? Too complicated than welding an axe head to a big wheel?

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Colonel Sanders posted:

this is practically OSHA approved compared to the other poo poo shows posted in this thread. I actually wouldn't be too nervous using it

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Colonel Sanders posted:

"This was my first test with the guard setup"

That means he's used that thing before with the logs flying directly back at his face :ughh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yes he has a guard for flying logs but nothing there to help him if the axe head were to make a break for it near the top of the rotation.

I would consider that a critical safety feature with the welds being subjected to extremely hard and potentially off-axis impacts on a regular basis.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Apparently e36 drain plugs are hollow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SuperDucky posted:

Apparently e36 drain plugs are hollow.

That's so the plug breaks before the threads get torn out. You can hammer an allen key into them just fine.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BlackMK4 posted:

That's so the plug breaks before the threads get torn out. You can hammer an allen key into them just fine.

What size are you supposed to use for that for future reference? I tried putting one in but admittedly I didn't hammer it in, using a no. 4 easy out seemed like a easier, more safe idea since I wouldn't have to drill into what was left of the bolt and the hollow bit should have been cast relatively straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BlackMK4 posted:

With my luck I would have hammered the whole enchilada into the oil pan. Though I would have had few other options after the stud remover snapped off :mad: