Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Cross-posting from A/T:

How do you create a running header for pages 2 - X that is different from the header on page 1 for Scrivener and/or OpenOffice?

I've been Googling and researching how to do it and I'm utterly confused and frustrated as hell. I'm trying to do a transcription test for Focus Forward. Here's the prompt plus what they recommend for changing the settings in Microsoft Word:

Focus Forward posted:

FocusForward Standard Format

Name your transcript Word document:
Grocery Shopping IDI Lauren C 012909

First-page heading (bold and single-spaced) (Book Antiqua, size 12):
Project: Grocery Shopping
Respondent: Lauren C.
Date: 1/29/09

Running header starting on page 2 (Book Antiqua, size 10):
Grocery Shopping IDI Lauren C 012909

Setting up a running header:

To display your running header on all pages except page 1, follow these steps:

Click View in the toolbar and select Header and Footer
Click Page Setup in the Header/Footer toolbar
Click the Layout tab
Place a check in the Different First Page box and click OK
If necessary, click Show Previous or Show Next on the Header/Footer toolbar
Type the filename in the header box
Click Close

This will insert a header on every page but the first one.

I don't have Microsoft Word, but I do have OpenOffice and Scrivener.

Tried cross-referencing this tutorial, but it's still left confused and without answers.

Could anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Cross-posting from A/T:

How do you create a running header for pages 2 - X that is different from the header on page 1 for Scrivener and/or OpenOffice?

I've been Googling and researching how to do it and I'm utterly confused and frustrated as hell. I'm trying to do a transcription test for Focus Forward. Here's the prompt plus what they recommend for changing the settings in Microsoft Word:

I don't have Microsoft Word, but I do have OpenOffice and Scrivener.

Tried cross-referencing this tutorial, but it's still left confused and without answers.

Press F11 to open the Page Styles list, and click the button fourth from the left to filter to just Page Styles.

Select the style you're using (Default, or make client-specific ones).

In the upper right of that window click the menu button and choose "New Style From Selection," give it a name like "Default - HeaderOn." Right click it, choose Modify... and under the Header tab turn on headers.

Set up your first page, move the cursor to the bottm, then Insert -> Manual Break... a Page Break, and in the Styles dropdown choose "Default - HeaderOn."

I don't use OpenOffice much but from poking around for a few minutes I think this will work.

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
Just accepted to Zerys. Have a question.
What topics/categories/whatever tend to have the most available work?

Also, still looking for any first hand information on Words of Worth. Asking the Google for reviews of the place yields useless, outdated information.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I see work in Business and Finance, Technology, Home and Garden and Travel (or Local or Cities or whatever it's called) most often. I can't say for sure since they're in the process of revamping their categories, which has led to things like me have more than their limit selected. Hopefully they're removing all the redundant categories.

Words of Worth looks like it was posted in this thread by Kilo India, and she didn't say any more about it; I just added it to the OP because people frequently ask for places that hire in non-US countries, and she said they do.

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
Marvelous. I've selected a million Home & Garden sub-categories.
I've also selected a million Entertainment sub-categories, and I hope that plays out, because I can write Hollywood, music, celebrity, pop culture bullshit all the live long day.

Kilo India, please come to the thread and tell me about Words of Worth. :haw:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Sara T. Biggun posted:

Marvelous. I've selected a million Home & Garden sub-categories.
I've also selected a million Entertainment sub-categories, and I hope that plays out, because I can write Hollywood, music, celebrity, pop culture bullshit all the live long day.

Kilo India, please come to the thread and tell me about Words of Worth. :haw:

I've never seen anything in the entertainment categories, so I dropped them once the HVAC person switched to only Home and Garden people. Automobiles has decent work as well, there's a guy who posts reviews and comparisons that usually make it to the $21/600 words level. Although, since work has been slow people have been grabbing them at cheaper rates. They're super easy, the comparisons less so, but it's basically turning car mfg. websites into copy. The HVAC articles are easy, just follow directions and make something in it a bulleted or numbered list and hit the max word count—they like that. And, they generally post the same content, just with different titles for different clients—making them easy once you've done the same thing five different times (don't make them too similiar though, I've heard of rejections.)

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 10, 2013

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play

thylacine posted:

I've never seen anything in the entertainment categories, so I dropped them once the HVAC person switched to only Home and Garden people. Automobiles has decent work as well, there's a guy who posts reviews and comparisons that usually make it to the $21/600 words level. Although, since work has been slow people have been grabbing them at cheaper rates. They're super easy, the comparisons less so, but it's basically turning car mfg. websites into copy. The HVAC articles are easy, just follow directions and make something in it a bulleted or numbered list and hit the max word count—they like that. And, they generally post the same content, just with different titles for different clients—making them easy once you've done the same thing five different times (don't make them too similiar though, I've heard of rejections.)

Curses. I'm great with entertainment writing.
I guess I'll add a lot more Home & Garden.

I'll keep Automobiles in mind, though I know absolutely NOTHING about cars. I can research things, then drag information out of my rear end like I know what I'm talking about. It's all good.
Also, I'm not opposed to grabbing things at fairly cheap rates. I've worked my fair share of minimum wage jobs. I'm not too greedy.

Thanks for the info.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I tried to do my Focus Forward test in OpenOffice, (well, LibreOffice, but aren't they almost the same thing?) but then I got paranoid about it screwing up and just switched back to my crappy "Starter" version of Word. Since you don't have it though... I wouldn't trust my explanation of how I think I had it working in OpenOffice. Instead, I could just send you my blank template file that I've made from when they sent me back my first assignment feedback.

And now I just noticed you don't have PMs, but if you don't mind posting an email on here for a sec, I can send you both the original .doc file and one that's been re-saved into .odt format.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
The Motley Fool could also be added to the front page of this thread. The pay starts at $50 each and you can basically write as many articles as you want, they're typically about 500-800 words. It will be more difficult than writing for the other sites that appear in this thread, though, as you have to have knowledge about the stock market and know how to research companies.

Drunken Warlord
Jul 8, 2013

It's a dogs life.

rocinante posted:

The Motley Fool could also be added to the front page of this thread. The pay starts at $50 each and you can basically write as many articles as you want, they're typically about 500-800 words. It will be more difficult than writing for the other sites that appear in this thread, though, as you have to have knowledge about the stock market and know how to research companies.

Interesting - I'm definitely considering submitting an article. How often do articles get accepted/rejects?

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

Drunken Warlord posted:

Interesting - I'm definitely considering submitting an article. How often do articles get accepted/rejects?

It seems like most articles get accepted after writing for a while, but it may take some time to get used to the style. With the first few there's probably a much higher chance of rewrites. If you understand what they're looking for in an article, a rejection probably isn't that likely. The editors are willing to work with writers, though. If the article meets the standards it typically gets published for pay.

rocinante fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 11, 2013

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Has anybody worked for Transcription Studio? Just replied to at job posting and it was them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I'm doing a transcription for SpeechInk via Mechanical Turk, is it going to ding my rating if I return HIT's? I had to return two, one of which had a speaker who was speaking insanely quick with a lot of slang, and one of which was too background noise-y to hear.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Client: Hey, remember that 25-minute super rush single-subject interview you did last weekend? I have another one coming in this afternoon like that, are you available?
Me: Sure, that was pretty easy.
Client: Great! It's all yours! (Uploads 90-minute unmoderated seven-speaker video to server at 7pm my time and leaves the office.)

EDIT: Oh good and the first thing out of the interviewer's mouth "feel free to interrupt and talk over each other." Buddy, you just made the list of people I want to flense.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 14, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have a friend that just signed up at Text Broker, is there any wait to get into it? She's a beginner and I'm trying to suggest some easy sites to get into writing since it seems up her ally.

I guess is there any other site that you would recommend to a newbie to this?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 14, 2013

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

kazmeyer posted:

Client: Hey, remember that 25-minute super rush single-subject interview you did last weekend? I have another one coming in this afternoon like that, are you available?
Me: Sure, that was pretty easy.
Client: Great! It's all yours! (Uploads 90-minute unmoderated seven-speaker video to server at 7pm my time and leaves the office.)

EDIT: Oh good and the first thing out of the interviewer's mouth "feel free to interrupt and talk over each other." Buddy, you just made the list of people I want to flense.

Why do people think it's okay to pull that crap? I had a three-to four person interview a while back that turned out to actually be a recording of a school field trip.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

AuntBuck posted:

Why do people think it's okay to pull that crap? I had a three-to four person interview a while back that turned out to actually be a recording of a school field trip.

Well, to be fair, this is a per-hour client so it's not like she was actively trying to screw me, and I think there was a miscommunication between her and the customer. The main issue was that I was expecting a two-hour job and what I got would've taken more like 10. But yeah, a lot of transcription clients -- the ones that pay per minute of tape -- are perfectly happy dumping insanely difficult garbage on transcribers because a lot of starting transcribers will just suck it up and do the extra work and end up making in the region of four bucks an hour.

Here, I was able to explain to her that I'd already been booked for work tomorrow (at an even better pay rate there's no way they'd be willing to match) so pulling an all-nighter or bumping that job were off the table. She's getting extra help.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Astro7x posted:

I have a friend that just signed up at Text Broker, is there any wait to get into it? She's a beginner and I'm trying to suggest some easy sites to get into writing since it seems up her ally.

I guess is there any other site that you would recommend to a newbie to this?

Textbroker has a bit of delay in approving the application -- I don't know how much it is currently -- and then you have to write five articles and wait for them to be reviewed before you can write more. That process can take a while, unfortunately.

Zerys might be the fastest application process and is another decent place to start, though it doesn't have the volume of TB and it's a little clunky.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Might I suggest simply writing [indistinct chatter] at the overlapping parts?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Might I suggest simply writing [indistinct chatter] at the overlapping parts?

Unfortunately, it takes a lot of people talking at once before I can't isolate individual speakers. You get really good at that if you do this long enough, by the way -- I figure if I'm at this another 10 years, I can probably replicate that scene in The Finder where he plays all that music at once to find the jazz singer. Massive over-talking wasn't the big issue with that one anyway, it was constant interruptions and speaker switches and the cameraman not being particularly on the ball covering said switches and having to timecode everything and one of the speakers having a bit of a pronounced stutter and most of the others using "uh" like I'm using spaces between words and the customer wanting it as verbatim as possible.

Compared to the last job from this client, which was an interview with a triple crown-winning actor with pretty much perfect diction, it was a friggin' nightmare. :)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

kazmeyer posted:

Well, to be fair, this is a per-hour client so it's not like she was actively trying to screw me, and I think there was a miscommunication between her and the customer. The main issue was that I was expecting a two-hour job and what I got would've taken more like 10. But yeah, a lot of transcription clients -- the ones that pay per minute of tape -- are perfectly happy dumping insanely difficult garbage on transcribers because a lot of starting transcribers will just suck it up and do the extra work and end up making in the region of four bucks an hour.

Here, I was able to explain to her that I'd already been booked for work tomorrow (at an even better pay rate there's no way they'd be willing to match) so pulling an all-nighter or bumping that job were off the table. She's getting extra help.

Well that's good, I assumed they were just handing it out and leaving in the hope you'd feel obligated to do it.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'm asking on behalf of my wife who had issues with Focus Forward. It appears that the free version of Express Scribe contains a lot of malware and bloatware. I am a little leery of using Focus Foward's application process if Express Scribe is required. Can someone confirm if you can use InqScribe instead?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Express Scribe has no malware that I'm aware of, though sometimes they package other trial versions of software that they have with the player which can be annoying, but they're easily removed. They recently gimped the free version quite a bit but if you look around you can find an older copy of the free software (version 5.10 or thereabouts) which most transcribers prefer even to the current paid version. The paid version is actually pretty cheap for what it does though, the only thing it doesn't really do is quicktime files, which probably won't be an issue with Focus Forward. She should be able to use InqScribe as well if you want to go that route. The FTW transcriber is also a nice cheap transcribing program:

http://theftwtranscriber.com/

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
*on Friday night* Hey, transcriber, I need this by Monday, preferably by the morning.

*still hasn't emailed back by Monday night*

:argh:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Okay transcribers, I need a reality check. I was asked by a client to do an ABS, detailed 3-column with every visual thoroughly described, and any outrageous movements of the people on screen described. Pay was $1.25 per min. I turned it down because after scanning the video I knew it would take me forever and would not be worth my time. Can someone weigh in on whether or not I am right in thinking that's a pretty insulting pay rate for a job like that?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Crunch Bucket posted:

Okay transcribers, I need a reality check. I was asked by a client to do an ABS, detailed 3-column with every visual thoroughly described, and any outrageous movements of the people on screen described. Pay was $1.25 per min. I turned it down because after scanning the video I knew it would take me forever and would not be worth my time. Can someone weigh in on whether or not I am right in thinking that's a pretty insulting pay rate for a job like that?

I'd have told them to go pound sand. I tend to get anywhere from $30 to $45 for each 22 minutes, and the cheap rate is usually for non-timecoded dialogue lists only. Even the high end stuff is timecoding speaker changes and only the roughest description of on-screen events ("CU - Bob" "WS - Bob and Tom in workshop" "Bob hits Tom with tack hammer" etc).

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
I figured as much. Glad I rejected it. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who gets it, though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wow, that isn't even a pittance for that amount of work. It'd probably feel more gratifying to work at McDonald's at that pay rate.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
...is it sad I'm working retail over Christmas and completely have that exact feeling...

In other news I ot an email saying Elance annd oDesk are merging...yay?

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
I don't know if this has been asked in this thread or one of the previous ones but a quick glance didn't find it for me. What kinds of headphones is everyone using for transcription? I'd like to do a little in my spare time but want something that will drown out the noise that is my family.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I'm using a set of Sony MDR-XD200 cans I got off Amazon when my beloved old Plantronics headset died. All you really need is closed cans, pads that completely surround your ear to block out the extraneous noise. It makes an ENORMOUS difference with bad audio.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

I'm using a set of Sony MDR-XD200 cans I got off Amazon when my beloved old Plantronics headset died. All you really need is closed cans, pads that completely surround your ear to block out the extraneous noise. It makes an ENORMOUS difference with bad audio.

My workplace has a few old pairs of those Sonys as well, but more recently we've been using Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones which are only like $30 new. I'm wearing my red pair right now :waycool:

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Thanks for the answers. So, even though they are cheap, something like these would be OK?

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX300-F...nasonic+RP-HTX7

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Unfortunately, there's no real way to know what the quality is like, but assuming it's not some buzzy piece of crap you should be fine. The design is the key. Even really good earbuds or over-the-ear clip models will let in too much noise, closed cans isolate you from ambient and make difficult audio much, much easier to work through.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Derek79 posted:

Thanks for the answers. So, even though they are cheap, something like these would be OK?

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX300-F...nasonic+RP-HTX7

You might not want to go that cheap, in my experience anything under the $20 mark tends to fall apart pretty quickly. I've also got a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7 in girly pink.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

AuntBuck posted:

You might not want to go that cheap, in my experience anything under the $20 mark tends to fall apart pretty quickly. I've also got a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7 in girly pink.

That's actually been my experience as well -- with the exception of some very nice over-the-ear clip models I've been using for my iPod that I can't recall the brand of at the moment, pretty much every set of headphones I've paid less than $20 for has been hot garbage and everything over $20 has been bulletproof.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 21, 2013

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered some Panasonic RP-HTX7 (not in girly pink) since you guys seem to have good things to say about them.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Most of my clients took the holiday off.

I feel like I'm trying to quit smoking not having a full slate of work.

I keep wanting to transcribe something, anything. :)

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Sign up for some work with DT. I am going to have my biggest paycheck ever because of this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
Question:
What do folks writing for Zerys have listed as their main categories?
I think I've listed horrible things, or something, because I NEVER see any articles available.

p.s. Just got on at WriterAccess. yaaaay