Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Damiya posted:

So I've recently started working on the Couchpotato project a bit.. Currently have a pending pull request that adds a configuration toggle for the dereferer.

I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head, but for those of you who use it, any features you'd love to see added?

The ability to mass update the wanted and already downloaded movie list.

My recommendation engine went apeshit one night and added hundreds of movies. Getting rid of them seems to be only possible by deleting one at a time for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have astraweb and a blocknews account. I'm from Europe so I've setup my server list like this:

code:
Server: eunews.blocknews.net

Server: ssl-us.astraweb.com

Server: ssl.astraweb.com

Server: ssl-eu.astraweb.com
I'm only using the ssl servers, should I add the others as well? Also are ssl servers lower on bandwidth or shouldn't there be any speed changes?

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Damiya posted:

So I've recently started working on the Couchpotato project a bit.. Currently have a pending pull request that adds a configuration toggle for the dereferer.

I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head, but for those of you who use it, any features you'd love to see added?

How about having it not delete and replace if it finds an existing file for a movie you downloaded. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally it will mis-match a movie I downloaded as a movie I already have, and then it deletes the movie and replaces it with the new file. It would be nice if it would give you a few options: 1) Delete and replace (what it does now), 2) Copy it as "Movie Name (1).mkv" and pop up a notification, or (3) Ask you what you want to do (with options 1, 2 and maybe an option to re-match the movie in case it detected it wrong).

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Le0 posted:

I'm only using the ssl servers, should I add the others as well? Also are ssl servers lower on bandwidth or shouldn't there be any speed changes?

You don't need ssl.astraweb.com, they have two locations and in my understanding it redirects to either ssl-eu or ssl-us. Blocknews also has usnews, so you could use that.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Damiya posted:

- Settings for retention per provider... don't bother trying files that are older than any of your providers' retention.
- Ability to select a subset of the of the quality choices for download instead of just one or all.
- Option to not use AJAX

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
EDIT: Never mind it's still there :)

Ingram fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 15, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Damiya posted:

An option to send stuff from the Wanted page to the Manage tab. Sometimes they get stuck in Wanted despite being snatched and downloaded.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

YouTuber posted:

An option to send stuff from the Wanted page to the Manage tab. Sometimes they get stuck in Wanted despite being snatched and downloaded.

It seems like instead of adding such an option he should just fix whatever it is that causes them to get stuck.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It seems like instead of adding such an option he should just fix whatever it is that causes them to get stuck.

She, but yea that sounds like a poo poo bug. Any chance you've got a log of that?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm noticing on occasion that Supernews over my Comcast connection in San Francisco, which normally pulls at 3MB/s, will instead pull at 200-300kb/s. This will happen for a day and then fix itself the next. Anyone know what I should look into for fixing this? I've tried changing SSL ports (Supernews only has 2 to try) restarting and updating sabnzbd. Have also restarted my modem and router. Speedtest.net shows I still get 28Mbit connection down, so really curious what's going on.

Since posting this, the speed has been slowly going back up over time, hitting 1.3MB/s right now. I can't help but guess the Supernews line gets throttled during peak usage hours.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 19, 2013

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Ugh, I'm so damned tired of Astraweb's completion problems. It happens on tons of files on both US and EU servers. It isn't from takedown requests either, because it happens even with obscure stuff that was posted two years ago. The files are there, sort of, just broken to the point that par files won't repair them.

What makes it even more infuriating is the Astraweb helpdesk staff literally says poo poo like "go download it again and see if it works this time." What the gently caress? No, the files won't magically reappear if I keep trying, thanks.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
How were you hoping helpdesk staff would help you with that problem?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's the only point of contact for questions, troubleshooting, complaints, etc., which further demonstrates how lame Astraweb is. If I could contact someone worth a drat I would.

Funny thing is, if you read other threads on Reddit or the Newsbin forums, some AW staff will admit there is a problem and they're "looking into it," but then months go by and nothing improves. I think AW hit the sweet spot for price-to-service ratio, where there aren't enough people jumping ship to more expensive service like Giganews for AW to care.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's the reason i left astraweb.

newsgroupdirect has been pretty awesome for me so far, it saturates my 100mbps connection and at 7 bucks a month for unlimited is around half the price of astraweb.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Quit expecting a single provider to work perfectly all the time, BlockNews costs a couple bucks an it will last months.
I switched to Giganews from Astraweb and I wouldn't say they magically solve all the incompletion problems (they write 100% on the site, but you wouldn't believe that)

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Excellent advice. I bought a 200gig blocknews account in January 2012 to compliment my astraweb account and I've only used 34gigs. But those 34 gigs probably went a long way in terms of completion.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Shy posted:

Quit expecting a single provider to work perfectly all the time, BlockNews costs a couple bucks an it will last months.
I switched to Giganews from Astraweb and I wouldn't say they magically solve all the incompletion problems (they write 100% on the site, but you wouldn't believe that)

When I used Giganews (admittedly years ago) it was pretty rare to have broken files, and virtually unheard of to have files that were too broken to be repaired. With Astraweb it's a 50-50 shot whether my downloads will work. Then again Giganews cost me $29 a month.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Former Human posted:

When I used Giganews (admittedly years ago) it was pretty rare to have broken files, and virtually unheard of to have files that were too broken to be repaired. With Astraweb it's a 50-50 shot whether my downloads will work. Then again Giganews cost me $29 a month.

Usenet isn't as obscure. DMCA requests are more common for all providers.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Except I'm not talking about takedown requests, which I pointed out earlier.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Former Human posted:

I was using GN a year ago and recently switched again, incompletes haven't been rare. Without a backup they will be as problematic as Astraweb.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Former Human posted:

Except I'm not talking about takedown requests, which I pointed out earlier.

But you are, because "there, sorta, but pars won't repair" is indicative of completion problems, and all the providers peer.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Supernews is a giganews reseller, right? That my main.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

evol262 posted:

But you are, because "there, sorta, but pars won't repair" is indicative of completion problems, and all the providers peer.

But I'm not, because the completion problems I'm talking about aren't due to takedown requests. How is that so confusing for you?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Former Human posted:

But I'm not, because the completion problems I'm talking about aren't due to takedown requests. How is that so confusing for you?

How can you tell the difference? I thought all completion failures pretty much looked the same.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The Diddler posted:

How can you tell the difference? I thought all completion failures pretty much looked the same.

Astraweb error messages explicitly mentioned takedown requests last time I had them.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Shy posted:

Astraweb error messages explicitly mentioned takedown requests last time I had them.

This is not a requirement, even if you grab the list of MIDs from the nzb, log in over telnet, and issue "article $mid" for every one.

Takedowns are basically the only way this happens between major providers.

Source: I was a senior sysadmin at Highwinds.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

evol262 posted:

Source: I was a senior sysadmin at Highwinds.

Question: In that capacity would you have preferred a newznab-type of client keep a couple dozen connections open with pings once a minute or just let them close at the risk of re-establishing all those connections every few minutes?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Thermopyle posted:

Question: In that capacity would you have preferred a newznab-type of client keep a couple dozen connections open with pings once a minute or just let them close at the risk of re-establishing all those connections every few minutes?

I don't really want to divulge their architecture since I don't know if its public, but we really didn't care unless you were running indexers. Most of the capacity issues didn't happen from connections to front ends or load balancers. We saw a huge traffic spike during the great purge of 2012, but mostly ignored clients other than that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

evol262 posted:

I don't really want to divulge their architecture since I don't know if its public, but we really didn't care unless you were running indexers. Most of the capacity issues didn't happen from connections to front ends or load balancers. We saw a huge traffic spike during the great purge of 2012, but mostly ignored clients other than that.

Well, I'm working on building an indexer not based on newznab which is why I asked. I have a global connection pool to the USP, and I've been going back and forth on whether I should try to keep the connections in the pool alive or let them die.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I'm working on building an indexer not based on newznab which is why I asked. I have a global connection pool to the USP, and I've been going back and forth on whether I should try to keep the connections in the pool alive or let them die.

Either/or. It was hammering through every group alphabetically through every article # in order that we hated.

If you're writing a new one, the best thing you could do is to seed initial lists for High winds, GN, and Astra over Bittorrent and have clients do differential indexes

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there a good alternative to headphones?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

evol262 posted:

Either/or. It was hammering through every group alphabetically through every article # in order that we hated.

If you're writing a new one, the best thing you could do is to seed initial lists for High winds, GN, and Astra over Bittorrent and have clients do differential indexes

That's exactly something I've been thinking about doing. Integrating a backfill download from bittorrent right in to the indexers normal operation. Or maybe a download from usenet itself. My assumption is that USP's order of preference would be like:

1. Backfill files downloaded from BT.
2. A backfill file uploaded to usenet for downloading by indexers.
3. A ton of requests for overviews from a bajillion articles from thousands of indexers building their own indexes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is this $7.5/pm deal exactly the same service as the Astraweb $96 yearly? My $80/year is nearly up (1st January), and I'm trying to renew with a similarly reasonable price. Not interested in blocks as my monthly amount basically results in (roughly) paying for the same amount in blocks over a year as it would paying for unlimited.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

ijyt posted:

Is this $7.5/pm deal exactly the same service as the Astraweb $96 yearly? My $80/year is nearly up (1st January), and I'm trying to renew with a similarly reasonable price. Not interested in blocks as my monthly amount basically results in (roughly) paying for the same amount in blocks over a year as it would paying for unlimited.

Yes

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks, reading back through the pages of this thread people were talking about a good block deal from these guys:

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/

And they seem to have a similar one again, 1TB for $40. Could anyone who signed up to them give a bit of info on how smoothly the experience has gone for them?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

Thanks, reading back through the pages of this thread people were talking about a good block deal from these guys:

And they seem to have a similar one again, 1TB for $40. Could anyone who signed up to them give a bit of info on how smoothly the experience has gone for them?

They've been my primary account since April. You will get some incompletes for certain things and you may want to have another block account as backup but I've been happy with them.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Any indexers taking registration these days? I'm currently using nzbs.org and the Sickbeard indexer but I'd like to have options in case any of these stop working.
I used to use the goon newznab thing but I think the server went dead for good and apparently my registration to nzb.su has been deleted :(

ijyt posted:

Thanks for this, my Astraweb is soon up and I was on the 96$ yearly

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 29, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Le0 posted:

Any indexers taking registration these days? I'm currently using nzbs.org and the Sickbeard indexer but I'd like to have options in case any of these stop working.
I used to use the goon newznab thing but I think the server went dead for good and apparently my registration to nzb.su has been deleted :(

PM me, or email me kirtthomas at the gmail.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

ijyt posted:

I use them as my main. I pick up blocks whenever I need them and they have a sale going. I have no complaints. I would get a backup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alright, picked them up as my main and worst comes to worst I'll get Astraweb from time to time.