Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM
Alexander Rusev down in NXT isn't exactly "fat" so much as "building-like" in build, but he moves pretty drat quick for a dude pushing 300 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LvK posted:

American Balloon immediately comes to mind. I think there were these two huge fat guys, the Headhunters? Who were supposed to be pretty flippy? But either way I saw one match with them and, uh, was not impressed. To say the least.

The Headhunters are agile, but they have absolutely no grasp of ring psychology at all.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Earthquake wasn't bad when he was younger, if nostalgia doesn't color my opinion too much.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
So in 1994 they used a Coin-Flip to decide who got to battle Yokozuna at Wrestlemania first, and I assume a double sided coin was used so that Lex could call it in the air, but was there any internal talk of doing the other matchups? Lex vs Crush and Bret vs Yoko then winner faces Lex if Lex had gotten a better crowd reaction? Or was the plan always for Bret to leave with the title?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cozz posted:

So in 1994 they used a Coin-Flip to decide who got to battle Yokozuna at Wrestlemania first, and I assume a double sided coin was used so that Lex could call it in the air, but was there any internal talk of doing the other matchups? Lex vs Crush and Bret vs Yoko then winner faces Lex if Lex had gotten a better crowd reaction? Or was the plan always for Bret to leave with the title?

The plan since nearly the Rumble had been Bret wins, and having him go first would be silly.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
More people should watch Jerry Blackwell

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Rodney the Piper posted:

Earthquake wasn't bad when he was younger, if nostalgia doesn't color my opinion too much.

In one of the PPV's he threw a very impressive standing dropkick.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He actually broke that out quite a bit. He'd do it during Superstars squashes and freak out the announcers.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rikishi did that thing where he did a flip when clotheslined

Dey Yah posted:

So in WWE cage matches now you can win with a pinfall, submission, or by escaping the cage. I remember the stipulation used to only be escaping the cage. When did this change happen, and was it just an accommodation for one wrestler or one spot or what?

The original cage matches actually used to be pin only. Escape rules were added for drama/gently caress finishes in the 70s or 80s iirc

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The whole point of a cage match is to definitively end a feud without interference. The whole escape angle is just stupid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrBling posted:

The whole point of a cage match is to definitively end a feud without interference. The whole escape angle is just stupid.

That's WWE for you, pins aren't dramatic enough. Gotta have the face climb over the top . . .

. . . although it did give us Hogan vs Orndorff, so it was completely worth it.

I wish the internet had been around in '86, just to see all the boards explode at the the indignity of Orndorff being cheated out of the title.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Isn't Bray Wyatt a pretty agile fat guy? I s'pose he's not super fat, but wasn't Husky Harris' gimmick 'the army tank with a ferrari engine'?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm always kind of stunned by how fast he can move. One second he's in the rocking chair, the next he's on the other side of the ring.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Rikishi did that thing where he did a flip when clotheslined

I remember I used to call that "The Marty Jannetty sell" until I saw Rikishi do it. :aaaaa:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, how do you suppose Marty Jannetty's name became synonymous with failure and obscurity in tag teams? The guy stuck around for a long time, became an IC and tag champion after The Rockers, and still looks great in the ring despite his recurring substance issues. Is it just because Michaels skyrocketed to becoming one of the best ever? Even then, the term "The Marty Jannetty" implies he was a complete unknown or sucked at everything in comparison. I always feel sorry for the guy whenever I hear his name used like that. In fact there have been a few cases where he's been trotted out to defend his name, and looked great despite always being booked to lose the match. But he certainly wasn't a jobber post-Rockers.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Marty Janetty is an unpittiable loser that nobody feels broken up about making synonymous with failure

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Marty Jannetty is a wash out who has failed multiple times since they broke up, has substance abuse problems and likes to gently caress underage ring rats. You seem to have the most positive opinion of him I've ever seen anyone post. Regardless, even if he had stuck around longer and been more successful the other guy in the team went on to be Shawn Michaels so he would still be much less significant success by comparison.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's probably more in comparison to where Shawn eventually went. A guy who headlined Wrestlemanias versus a guy whose best was holding the IC title for a few weeks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Speaking of which, how do you suppose Marty Jannetty's name became synonymous with failure and obscurity in tag teams? The guy stuck around for a long time, became an IC and tag champion after The Rockers, and still looks great in the ring despite his recurring substance issues. Is it just because Michaels skyrocketed to becoming one of the best ever? Even then, the term "The Marty Jannetty" implies he was a complete unknown or sucked at everything in comparison. I always feel sorry for the guy whenever I hear his name used like that. In fact there have been a few cases where he's been trotted out to defend his name, and looked great despite always being booked to lose the match. But he certainly wasn't a jobber post-Rockers.

In January of 1997 Shawn Michaels was WWE champion and Marty Jannetty was trying out to be a jobber in WCW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That said, the time when Shawn was IC champ and Marty jumped out of the crowd to challenge and beat him for the belt was pretty drat cool.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Marty kept getting fired from everywhere he worked because he's an unprofessional drug addict.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

They used it so someone (I can't remember, either Bruno, or the heel) could get his foot stuck in the ropes while the other guy walked out. It was a screwy finish they did and it's just how they booked, and it worked for them.

But in principle I agree, but the ship has really sailed on the whole cage match thing for a number of reasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

They used it so someone (I can't remember, either Bruno, or the heel) could get his foot stuck in the ropes while the other guy walked out. It was a screwy finish they did and it's just how they booked, and it worked for them.

But in principle I agree, but the ship has really sailed on the whole cage match thing for a number of reasons.

I think the cage match is one of HHH's projects, so it may regain a bit of credibility over the next few years.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

Marty kept getting fired from everywhere he worked because he's an unprofessional drug addict.

This also describes Shawn for like 97% of his career.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

This also describes Shawn for like 97% of his career.

That's unfair, Shawn was off the drugs during his unprofessional phases from 2002-2005!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Marty Jannetty still looks great in the ring despite his recurring substance issues.

Agree to disagree

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Also I'm pretty sure Janetty was the one with that story about drugging and sexually assaulting a bunch of college students on a plane which at best makes him a STDH creep and at worst a total psycho.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

I think the cage match is one of HHH's projects, so it may regain a bit of credibility over the next few years.

That would be nice. Cage matches need to be more like Flair-Race from Starrcade 83 or Magnum-Tully in 85. Proper cage matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Without the goddamn ref getting in the goddamn way the entire goddamn time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

More "electrified" cage matches where one or more parties forget that the gimmick mid match and climb it as normal please, thanks in advance.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FishBulb posted:

Marty Jannetty is a wash out who has failed multiple times since they broke up, has substance abuse problems and likes to gently caress underage ring rats. You seem to have the most positive opinion of him I've ever seen anyone post. Regardless, even if he had stuck around longer and been more successful the other guy in the team went on to be Shawn Michaels so he would still be much less significant success by comparison.

His problems weren't common knowledge when the term first came into popularity though, and it's not the first instance of one half of a tag team rising to stardom. But your last sentence explains the situation better. It's just weird that the whole Barber Shop segment is often promoted as THE defining moment for both of their careers, when Jannetty did plenty after that and Michaels didn't rise to fame immediately after.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

sticklefifer posted:

His problems weren't common knowledge when the term first came into popularity though, and it's not the first instance of one half of a tag team rising to stardom. But your last sentence explains the situation better. It's just weird that the whole Barber Shop segment is often promoted as THE defining moment for both of their careers, when Jannetty did plenty after that and Michaels didn't rise to fame immediately after.

They absolutely were common knowledge. Jannetty was fired right after the Barber Shop segment aired for a drug fueled assault on a police officer, and then was fired mid-feud the next two times they tried to do a Michaels/Jannetty feud. This is a guy who couldn't keep his nose clean enough for places like mid-90s ECW, his WWF career sputtered because Vince got legit serious about drugs for obvious reasons in the 92-94 range and they kept having to fire him over it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
There's nothing particularly wrong with an escape style cage match; my favorite cage match (LCO vs. Watanabe/Ito) is an escape match. But that's also a really greatly worked match that does a great job of slowly building up the drama and the big spots; the first escape attempt happens halfway through the match and the attempts are all spread out so when they do happen there's a lot of drama in them.

In the WWE, escape style cage matches are basically however long of people slowly climbing, getting pulled off, slowly climbing, getting pulled off, etc. which just makes it boring. It's an even bigger problem with having the door and being able to win by pinfall or submission. There's no real drama with the door and the drama of an escape suffers when you also go "well if that doesn't work they can just pin them". Really with the Cell WWE needs to take pinfalls and submissions out of standard cage matches and make them escape only. By climbing, preferably, since the door is stupid imo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cozz posted:

So, I really thought that here, SummerSlam ('93), or somewhere else, Lex Luger bragged in a bar or something that he was winning the world title, and Vince caught wind of it, and changed the finish.

Am I dreaming this?

The whole 'Lex Luger in the WWF' period is strange, because he came in with a really neat heel gimmick, and dumped it in favor of Hulk Hogan, Junior. He ended up looking like a loser with that gimmick, although he did get a "tie" Royal Rumble win. Then he formed a tag team with Davey Boy before jumping ship, and Vince got his "revenge" by putting Davey in the main event of, like, the next 3 or 4 PPVs.

If the point of the '94 Rumble was to see who was a bigger hero (Bret or Lex) was, that was a dumb experiment, as the reaction for Bret was overwhelming.

MassRafTer posted:

I kind of hope the blue WWF cage returns, but I doubt it. :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

So, I really thought that here, SummerSlam ('93), or somewhere else, Lex Luger bragged in a bar or something that he was winning the world title, and Vince caught wind of it, and changed the finish.

Am I dreaming this?

The whole 'Lex Luger in the WWF' period is strange, because he came in with a really neat heel gimmick, and dumped it in favor of Hulk Hogan, Junior. He ended up looking like a loser with that gimmick, although he did get a "tie" Royal Rumble win. Then he formed a tag team with Davey Boy before jumping ship, and Vince got his "revenge" by putting Davey in the main event of, like, the next 3 or 4 PPVs.

If the point of the '94 Rumble was to see who was a bigger hero (Bret or Lex) was, that was a dumb experiment, as the reaction for Bret was overwhelming.

I kind of hope the blue WWF cage returns, but I doubt it. :smith:

I hate that ugly toy looking thing so much. :(

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Lex Luger bar thing is a Scott Keith "fact" that was made up out of whole cloth. They got Luger very hot for SummerSlam, Vince decided not to put the title on him in favor of seeing if it was a fad from the bus tour or whether it would last until Mania, not giving Luger the title basically killed him, they decided well before Mania to put the title on Hart instead, and Luger got sent down to the midcard for the rest of his tenure.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

The Lex Luger bar thing is a Scott Keith "fact" that was made up out of whole cloth.

Ha ha - what the hell? That's so bizarre.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

Ha ha - what the hell? That's so bizarre.

Its Scott Keith what do you expect? You should read his King Lear rant for more insanity.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Scott Keith what do you expect? You should read his King Lear rant for more insanity.

Scott Keith posted:

I read King Lear in Grade 12, and was quite impressed with it. It was very dark and cynical, and as a cynic myself I could appreciate that. But the whole "understanding Shakespeare" thing always went over my head. I'm a very superficial person at heart, and I dislike symbolism and allegories and boring stuff like that. It was meant as entertainment, says I, so entertain me.

uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is there anyone better at promoting his own merch than Cena?