Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Are there any non-asiatorrent torrent links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Episode 2:Ugh, I found Hong Chul pretty annoying this episode so was sad not to see him go - was pretty surprised how fast everyone turned to his side (although it was definitely a smart move by everyone once the majority was leaning that way). I've never seen Infinite Challenge though so will allow that I may come round to him later on. That was a really good final challenge in theory though, would be interested in seeing it come back later when there are stronger alliances in place.

Love that Jinho spotted a pretty clever solution to win the game, became the overall winner of it and played a decisive role in the elimination; that guy definitely still has game.

I love how much effort clearly goes into this show on the production side though - beyond the insanely well designed games, they do such a great job in editing of teasing out storylines in each episode (+ throughout the season) and concealing information from the viewer until the most shocking time to reveal it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

Episode 2: Holy gently caress Jaekyung got hosed over so bad, and even I enjoy having NHC on this show and hope he lasts for a while. That sucks. :smith:
Unfortunate that we lost a pretty face so early, but she was bound to get knocked out soon anyway. I didn't like that the surviving players could basically decide who won the death match, while I've always though of the death match as an opportunity to save yourself, separate from the main match.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 16, 2013

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That 2nd episode was complicated as hell. I noticed that Jinho conveniently revealed the reversed straight plan when he happened to be the one in the middle receiving the 10 garnets. Nice.

Josh Lyman posted:

Unfortunate that we lost a pretty face so early, but she was bound to get knocked out soon anyway. I didn't like that the surviving players could basically decide who won the death match, while I've always though of the death match as an opportunity to save yourself, separate from the main match.

Pretty much the #1 rule of every Death Match on The Genius is that it always depends on how much the other contestants like you. You can pretty much guarantee yourself a spot in the finale if you always ally with the largest group and are willing to sacrifice yourself for the team when they ask you to.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Indian Poker wasn't like that though, neither was tactical Yutnori, and especially not that silly memory game they played later in the first season.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I definitely prefer the Death Matches that depend on the other players, hence why rock, paper, scissors will always be the best one. Especially when they bring back people who've been eliminated. Although agreed that there should probably be at least some chance of winning it even if everyone else hates you, which this one pretty much didn't have.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've got 2 episodes of S1 left, and the Tactical Yutnori is absolutely killing me. It doesn't help that the games go on for about 2 hours and are condensed into minutes that make it confusing, and half of me just thinks 'Should I just skip to what appears to be the last few minutes?' and the answer in hindsight is pretty much always 'Yes'.

Didn't get on with that image card game much either, R/P/S (even though I should've been sick of it due to how often its used in RM) and Indian Poker are a lot more 'watchable' from a Western perspective at least.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've got 2 episodes of S1 left, and the Tactical Yutnori is absolutely killing me. It doesn't help that the games go on for about 2 hours and are condensed into minutes that make it confusing, and half of me just thinks 'Should I just skip to what appears to be the last few minutes?' and the answer in hindsight is pretty much always 'Yes'.

Didn't get on with that image card game much either, R/P/S (even though I should've been sick of it due to how often its used in RM) and Indian Poker are a lot more 'watchable' from a Western perspective at least.

I like the deathmatch of second last episode.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Teek posted:

Episode 2: If someone was going to be sacrificed to the Genius gods, happy it was her, as she wasn't really bringing much to the show. Glad Hong Chul stuck around. We still really haven't gotten a sense of him game-wise yet. First episode he got out early, this episode he being abandoned.

From the way he was running his mouth this whole episode, I'd say that's his big strength game-wise. Even if the others weren't all stacked against Jaekyung, Hongchul's mindgames did seem to throw her off her game. I could see him reaching Poong or Gura levels of craftiness before getting ousted

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't think Hong Chul will make it to the end, he's too flashy and noticable. Last time players like him (the old guy who ran the mob esque group with Sangmin in it) started getting eliminated around halfway

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Somehow Jinho always ends up ahead, you crafty bastard

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I disagree, as someone who was completely lost during the first Yutnori game. I got a hang of it during the second time it was on, but more importantly, RPS was INCREDIBLY boring to watch, I hope it never shows up again. I'm still going through season 1 so the image game/Indian Poker haven't showed up, but I can't imagine the first is any more interesting than RPS was. Both season 2 elimination games beat out RPS and Yutnori as concepts, even if I think the episode 2 game would be more interesting without the gambling creating an incentive to create a landslide win.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

In terms of games in episode 2 I thought both were interesting though the main game was a bit confusing for broadcast. I was intrigued by the way it was designed to crack alliances. I thought of the double win immediately when they were explaining the rules so in that final round I was really hoping that eight players swapped seats to do that, but realizing that a straight could go both ways was a reasonable scheme as well.

The death match OTOH, was a work of genius. Even without the Caeser-esque back stabbing party, the betting strategies are really tricky. Forcing your opponent's bet, bluffing, manipulating the return by splitting up the bet, and enlisting the aid of other players made for a pretty tricky game. I hope that one comes back in later rounds.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Davincie posted:

I don't think Hong Chul will make it to the end, he's too flashy and noticable. Last time players like him (the old guy who ran the mob esque group with Sangmin in it) started getting eliminated around halfway

I don't think Hong Chul will win but I think he'll stay around to the end since he seems to be a much bigger draw than the other players. While I don't think the show is scripted, I think the cast and the production crew are well aware of how the industry works and taking out one of the most anticipated players seems like a big waste of his talent.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Finally caught up, which means now I'll be stuck waiting for a new episode every Monday. :(

Also, about this week's episode, not a lot of sympathy for Jaekyung. She revealed herself as someone who her partners couldn't work with, and being uncooperative is much, much worse than being unpopular. Doohee kept asking her if she had a better idea when he was begging her to swap and she wouldn't give him anything to work with. Glad she's gone, especially over Hongchul.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im up to episode six on the first series, and the music selection is totally absurd. I was always under the impression that due to regional conflict and nationalism that Korea pretty much refused to import Japanese shows but theyve played the Cowboy Bebop opening several times during recaps, and on this ep they just started playing the "poo poo goes down" song from Evangelion during a particularly important scene.

Also theyre leaning on the Liar Game Manga so hard its pretty much a crutch. The zombie game was pretty much identical to Liar Games quarantine game, except the players couldnt check thier status at any time.

Im not complaining, I love the show. I just always had the wierd idea that Korea straight up did not truck with Japanese poo poo.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Meme Emulator posted:

Im not complaining, I love the show. I just always had the wierd idea that Korea straight up did not truck with Japanese poo poo.

It's not the weirdest idea, it's just a little outdated. Japanese cultural imports were banned in South Korea after World War II, but I think that was mostly done away with around the time of their shared World Cup, which was in 2002. There's a fair bit of cultural exporting going on between the two nations these days, although I think it's actually Korea that does most of the exporting.

I have no idea if Cowboy Bebop was ever popular in South Korea, though. The Genius uses a lot of songs from it, but that might just be because it has a great soundtrack.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Im up to episode six on the first series, and the music selection is totally absurd. I was always under the impression that due to regional conflict and nationalism that Korea pretty much refused to import Japanese shows but theyve played the Cowboy Bebop opening several times during recaps, and on this ep they just started playing the "poo poo goes down" song from Evangelion during a particularly important scene.

Also theyre leaning on the Liar Game Manga so hard its pretty much a crutch. The zombie game was pretty much identical to Liar Games quarantine game, except the players couldnt check thier status at any time.

You should watch Queens Classroom. They adapted it from a Japanese drama, and its loving excellent.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Zythrst posted:

So after watching s2e1 I've gone back and gotten through 7 of season 1 and this show is amazing.

Season 1 Episode 7 Jinho you magnificent bastard! The look on everybody's faces as they realized what was happening was priceless.

That was definitely my favourite moment. I doubt even the producers knew of that strategy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Varam posted:

I have no idea if Cowboy Bebop was ever popular in South Korea, though. The Genius uses a lot of songs from it, but that might just be because it has a great soundtrack.

Might just be the soundtrack, Running Man has used Tank! too. Actually, there's a lot of overlap in music between recent RM and The Genius, really. Do they have the same audio engineers/production or something?

And yeah, I've been catching up on season 1 and I have to say, the image-matching game is really annoying in that it manages to simultaneously be unnecessarily complicated, yet really basic and simple to 'cheat' and win on. At least the others stick to one or the other (RPS is easy, all about networking, Yutnori is hard, but all about skill/luck, Indian Poker is easy and strikes a good balance in what you need to win, etc). And episode 6/7 with Jinho's win first against Gura and then in the main game next episode were probably the biggest 'gently caress yeah' moments so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish they wouldn't use the Moby track though. That's the Yoomes Bond theme and it should be used sparingly, now just willy nilly :colbert:

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
This week's elimination: Can't say I'm surprised Jaekyung is gone so early. In addition to being passive she didn't seem to "get" what makes the show interesting (that is, calculated gambits), playing conservatively until the end. Junghyun seems dumber than bricks and I'm baffled as to how he's managed to cruise so far. Dahye (the Go player) was very competent this episode, leading negotiations, while staying out of the limelight. She's not flashy like Hongchul but she's smart and can be ruthless: just look at how she won in episode 1. I have a feeling she'll become a major dark horse this season.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've noticed in S2, compared to S1, the contestants are more...polarizing I guess? to me early on. In S1 I basically knew none of them, so they had to make themselves interesting in the show, and generally managed that quite well - from episode 3, I was sad to see pretty much all of them go. This season I have many early favorites (Jinho and Sangmin from S1, Dahye and Yoonsun for being awesome, Hongchul since I've seen him before, Yohwan since I like his easygoing character and interactions with Jinho - helps that I'm into Starcraft there I guess) but the others really aren't engaging me as quickly as most participants in season 1 did. I'm sure that'll change, but it's an interesting thing for me to note. Hell, it could simply be BECAUSE I already have favorites here, and not giving the rest their proper due.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The subber is putting the 'behind the scenes' clips on Youtube - this one with the rest of the contestants betting on the elimination game is good. They don't really edit these clips or anything, so they're pretty interesting just for getting more of a sense of what it's actually like being there.

Oh, this one with everyone having a press conference after filming the first episode is very funny.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just finished season 1, and the final episode was...kind of disappointing, really. Same for episode 10. Hope they can improve the final episodes somewhat this time around. Though, just using the better deathmatch games they've shown in S2 would help a lot. That said, 11 was awesome and between episodes 7, 11 and 12 as well as his card-counting in Indian Poker and the like, I'd definitely say Jinho's strength is in memorization, and in games - ideally fairly simple ones on the surface like 7/11 - that have a lot of room for finding loopholes and individual plays as opposed to relying on following strict (and insanely complicated) rules, or dealing with alliances/betrayals. Though he seems to have improved at the latter.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 19, 2013

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
It was funny how in season one Jinho was completely stumped by the Kong game which had no room for exploiting cleverness in finding flaws in the game. It was pure game theory on how much to cooperate and betray. By contrast, Sunggyun played it magnicifently, stealing first place by backstabbing his teammates Kyungran and Eunji, not giving either of them the life token and then helping Eunji to win the deathmatch so he could claim half her now sizable pile of garnets at the start of the next game. The way they were the first two to arrive in the studio was kind of manipulative by the show producers, it always seems the two or three players who spend some time alone before everyone else arrives are exactly the ones with things to work out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder who prepares the games and how long it takes to make them. The first episode of Season 2 is turning out to be amazing.

Apparently the producers work together with a board game company to develop the games. Makes sense to me, considering one of the deathmatches last season was Dixit with cat pictures instead of illustrations.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Apart from all the Cowboy Bebop songs, the sound team seems to enjoy the Dexter soundtrack as well. Not that I am complaining either, it's just really noticable for me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Whatever that intro song is, I like it and how they work the introductory talk for each episode into it. Very suitable.

S1E11 BTS of the laughter is wonderful, too.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 20, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrLonghair posted:

Whatever that intro song is, I like it and how they work the introductory talk for each episode into it. Very suitable.

Melodie really is an awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAH43-XiMCM

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Holy crap I thought the intro was a song for the TV show, that owns

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Am I crazy or has The Genius' age rating increased from 12 to 15 for this season.

Looks like someone needs a swear jar.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There was some swearing in the BTS footage. Mostly mild stuff, related to Starcraft lingo.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Holy poo poo they made a Liar Game show. Fantastic.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Jinho's in episode 7 of Season 1 really is phenomenal I'm guessing that the producers designed the cards like that on purpose, just because I know it's pretty common to see magicians use decks like that so that it's easy to tell which card someone selected from the deck. Either crazy observant of him or well thought to consider it. I also love the running joke that his pronunciation is terrible, especially of English.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those of you who are familiar with Liar Game, are you referring to the manga or TV series? I'm watching the series now (subbed on Youtube) and while I can see similarities in the format, the main female character is about as frustrating to watch as Shinji in Evangelion, and the audience is treated like kids, drawing out explanations in both time and verbiage of how to play the game and how the winner triumphed.

It's shot how I imagine the panels in the manga would look, so at least that's cool.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 22, 2013

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Just finished marathon'ing through the first season and echoing the futile hopes for an American version. The main problem I had watching this was it took a long time to figure out who was who.

Seems like it could secure a cult following pretty easily and it'd be a really cheap show to produce, but it probably wouldn't be as good. Part of the appeal to the show is how lighthearted everyone is despite taking it seriously.

Another vote for deathmatches that are less influenced by the other players. When the other players participate, it's pretty much just voting someone out just like every other reality show. I'm okay with them giving a small advantage to the players, but not when it becomes outright impossible to win unless you have the majority of the people on your side (like RPS or Quattro to a lesser extent).

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 22, 2013

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who are familiar with Liar Game, are you referring to the manga or TV series? I'm watching the series now (subbed on Youtube) and while I can see similarities in the format, the main female character is about as frustrating to watch as Shinji in Evangelion, and the audience is treated like kids, drawing out explanations in both time and verbiage of how to play the game and how the winner triumphed.

It's shot how I imagine the panels in the manga would look, so at least that's cool.

I found the Liar Game manga to be much better than the show, for what it's worth. Also worth checking out is Kaiji, which starts off with a variation of the Rock-Paper-Scissors card game.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Pretty much every anime adapted from a manga stretches things out way too much for budgetary and lack-of-material reasons, but all the 'gambling' ones are really, really guilty of doing it. Akagi is also a good one, incidentally.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Binged season 1 and what's out of two in the last week. This show is so much fun, I really wish more game/reality shows were so intelligent. Unlike others in this thread, I do think US versions could work, it's just that the casting would need to be extremely careful.

I like that the casts work so well, and that people do genuinely have varied strengths that help them in different situations. Jinho for example is absolutely brilliant in 1-1 situations (or situations in which his actions alone can influence a teams result, like this week with just happening to "realise" they could reverse the straight when he was in the middle), but is much weaker when dealing with group dynamics.

There are two flaws to the show though. The first, as has been mentioned, is the music. Especially the constant Dexter soundtrack (they seriously use 4/5 tracks off that thing).

But the biggest problem is the constant flash forwards. I don't want to know what happens in one hour, especially when the show works flawlessly without these flash forwards. It seems to me like a shameless grab to keep viewer attention to let them know that something interesting will happen, but it just removes a lot of the excitement and surprise. I generally just look away when they are showing them, but they shouldn't be in there in the first place.