Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Eboracum posted:

Awesome, I'll do that. I doubt I'll be on tonight but I'm on most nights at the moment.

There are goons around the world to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Jimbot posted:

Alright, that makes sense. It didn't seem like it'd be a good tool for flying solo aside from saturating a specific area for the heck of it.

Another question: How do you use LMGs? More than once I aim at a guy and go full-auto and never hit him (like I do with every other weapon and succeed at doing). The reticle is square on the guy but 90% of my shots miss. When I'm killed the enemy usually has 50% or 75% health and all it takes is a quick burst-fire from their weapons (not LMGs) to kill me. What is going on and/or what am I doing wrong? This is the default LMG too, so the rate of fire is slow as poo poo so it shouldn't cause the spread I am experiencing.

Unlock the M240B since its the best gun in the game and I wont here anything else. Maybe its because I used for over 50 hours in Battlefield 3 but I can pretty much snipe people across the map with it by burst firing. I had 3000 kills and 700 of those were headshots because it naturally tracks upwards. I prefer the bipod and find a nice place where I can lay down and fire on a point. Also it has a larger caliber bullet which might have something to do with it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Blind Rasputin posted:

Could you guys help me with some good advice at how a novice can start playing this multiplayer on xbone? I've finished the single player campaign. I am wondering which map and kit I could begin with to get comfortable with the play mechanics and staying alive. My first exposure to the multiplayer side of this game was the dawn breaker large map and gently caress was I in over my head. The last time I played anything like this was bad company 2 on the PC. I've only played single player games on consoles and rarely first person shooters on a console (really the only one has been borderlands2), so I have a lot of learning to do to get good aiming. What are some basic actions I should be taking to stay alive, or roles I should be playing as a beginner to not be a moron? I remember in bad company 2 if I really just concentrated on capturing the objectives and let kill counts take a distant backseat I'd actually do pretty good point wise and help the team.

I was also wondering, those with this on the xbone, do you use the kinect leaning and head looking gestures? I found them to work surprisingly well in the single player campaign, especially the leaning around corners while aiming through the sites. The head movement one can error once in a while but is easily calibrated by switching quickly to 3rd person view and back. The ability to look around while flying without having to use one of the joysticks seems like it would be great during multiplayer. Do these functions actually work out for you guys then?

Always try to flank around people. Now more than ever with 64 players if you try to run head on in to their whole team you'll get a few kills at most then die to overwhelming numbers. I'd mess around with every kit at least until you get some of the basic unlocks like repair tools and med kits. One of the really nice things about the last few BF games is you can really play any kit any way. For example recon and support both eventually unlock c4, which is great against vehicles, so either of those can be played with that in mind. Also don't just mindlessly revive people if you play assault. It can be easy to fall in to the trap of "oh I can't kill mans so I'll just revive!" but there is nothing more frustrating in this game than being revived in a lovely spot and getting killed again right away.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Could you guys help me with some good advice at how a novice can start playing this multiplayer on xbone? I've finished the single player campaign. I am wondering which map and kit I could begin with to get comfortable with the play mechanics and staying alive. My first exposure to the multiplayer side of this game was the dawn breaker large map and gently caress was I in over my head. The last time I played anything like this was bad company 2 on the PC. I've only played single player games on consoles and rarely first person shooters on a console (really the only one has been borderlands2), so I have a lot of learning to do to get good aiming. What are some basic actions I should be taking to stay alive, or roles I should be playing as a beginner to not be a moron? I remember in bad company 2 if I really just concentrated on capturing the objectives and let kill counts take a distant backseat I'd actually do pretty good point wise and help the team.

I was also wondering, those with this on the xbone, do you use the kinect leaning and head looking gestures? I found them to work surprisingly well in the single player campaign, especially the leaning around corners while aiming through the sites. The head movement one can error once in a while but is easily calibrated by switching quickly to 3rd person view and back. The ability to look around while flying without having to use one of the joysticks seems like it would be great during multiplayer. Do these functions actually work out for you guys then?

Mostly what has been said already, but I'd roll with Assault for a bit. It A.) gives you a feel for the gunplay without requiring to learn anything because a weapon is built for a specific reason, B.) helps you realize that you can just remove cover with the grenade launcher and C.) has a good deal of endurance once you get health kits unlocked. The defibs are a so-so call since it feels like the revive window much narrower than before. After you think you have a good feel for the basics, I'd move through engineer, support and then recon with a focus on playing battle recon (i.e. take a carbine, take tools to help your squad deploy forward or spot enemies and be aggressive).

And above all else, find goons on the Bone to play with. That safety net will help you develop.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Oh look there's an error log on the ps4.

BF4 only crashed 57 times for me before they fixed it!

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Oh look there's an error log on the ps4.

BF4 only crashed 57 times for me before they fixed it!
76, and I came back and played again. It's just too good when it's working.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The Mortar is actually wicked effective against infantry,you just have to find a solid fire fight where both teams are stuck hiding behind cover and occasionally popping out to take a couple shots but staying stationary for the most part. Dragon pass has two points close to each other with a bridge in between and good cover for both teams, so it's very easy to rack up mortar kills if there's a significant fight going on in that area.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Got a double headshot at ~400m but of course nothing I do seems to get it to save a video of that moment.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So here's my 1-month trip report after putting 26 hours into multiplayer on the XBOne (with the disclaimer that I've played Domination 98% of the time and only played the other game modes a couple of times to get the "Won Them All" achievement):

I genuinely like everything better in this game than BF3 (which was fun in it's own way, just like all Battlefield games), except for the CTDs (crash to dashboard) I still experience occassionally. The gunplay still takes a lot of getting used to and dropping the Network Smoothing Factor (or whatever) makes a bit of a difference in me winning gunfights, but having a tactical advantage and teammates that actually know their guns from their own assholes will trump anything every time, obviously.

I'm also doing better after watching weapon impression videos and using other weapons other than the starting ones I was using the last time I posted. Taking each one of them in the Test Range to get a basic feel for them helps a lot too (though I'm still trying to get a feel for the XM25 Airburst).

Weapon recommendations are certainly welcome. For the Assault Kit, I'm currently favoring the AEK-971 due to it's ROF and the recoil seems manageable. For Support, I seem to do the best with the QBB-95 since it's recoil is controllable for mid-range fights, but overall, LMGs feel seriously gimped this time around. I had a much easier time wiping squads in BF3 matches, but that could also be because BF3 Domination maps were much smaller. There has been several times where I can put 30 rounds into someone's back while he safely runs around the corner. Bullshit.

The Recon Kit is my tryhard class again this time around since it's stupid powerful for CQBs. A shotgun, motion sensor, and C4 is the easiest way to get to the top of the leaderboard most of the time. C4 seems gimped also this time around. I think they lowered the blast radius this time since I also had an easier time getting kills with it in BF3.

But man. Shotguns. Unless an enemy gets REALLY lucky, all you have to do is close the distance with a shotgun in hand, run out, and tap your "I Win" trigger a couple of times. I do miss my Recon's railgun-esque P90 from BF3, but shotguns are as ridiculous as ever. (Don't have much use for the Engineer Kit on smaller maps and I'm not much of a sniper, so can't really comment on those).

An important tip for all kits: NEVER underestimate your sidearm. Pulling out my pistol instead of reloading your primary has saved my rear end more times than I can count. I've even won several mid-range fights with them.

So yeah, other than the crashes I get maybe once a day and the typical lopsided team bullshit and getting thrown onto the losing team with retarded pubbies almost all of the time, I'm loving this game.

I'm Moraduke if anyone wants to rescue me from pubbie hell. :)

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
If anyone else is working today, I can't be the only one that needs a drink afterward. I'll probably be on around 8 central time if any PS4 dudes want to chill and try to shoot straight enough to kill some mans.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Does stabbing people in the front ever not turn into a counter? I was standing in a corner waiting for a dude I knew was on the way, he must have spotted me in his peripheral vision and turned to face me as I stabbed him. I am literally 4 for 4 on knife counter kills, is it unbelievably easy or something? To be fair I virtually never see anyone but me use a knife unless you run up behind a guy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

trashcangammy posted:

Does stabbing people in the front ever not turn into a counter? I was standing in a corner waiting for a dude I knew was on the way, he must have spotted me in his peripheral vision and turned to face me as I stabbed him. I am literally 4 for 4 on knife counter kills, is it unbelievably easy or something? To be fair I virtually never see anyone but me use a knife unless you run up behind a guy.
Yeah, all they have to do is hit R3 when prompted and they will counter kill you. Don't try to knife people from the front, it will end badly for you.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Can other people kill you during the knife animation?

I turned a corner once and ran right into a whole squad, one tried to knife me, and the other three guys just stood there and watched as I turned it around and gutted their buddy.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Can other people kill you during the knife animation?

I turned a corner once and ran right into a whole squad, one tried to knife me, and the other three guys just stood there and watched as I turned it around and gutted their buddy.
You can get killed when you knife. You can't get hurt when you're counter knifing.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
XM25 Talk:

There are two ways to make this work. If you have a moment to breathe, scope in on where your target is, put the crosshair where the edge of their cover is and come back out and go back into the sights. This will set your range perfectly for their cover. Then aim slightly to the side or above and unload. If you are taking fire, aim the the corner where the top horizontal hash meets the vertical one at the cover the enemy is in, scope in and fire to the open space. XM25 airbursts aren't instant kills, but if they're close, you can bag people with two or three. You'll also get multies.

Knife Talk:

Yeah, countering is really easy. The counter window and prompt doesn't come up until you and the other player are both in that 'Struggle with the knife' pose, but you can activate the counter early if you know it's coming. You can be shot out of the stab animation by the person you are stabbing or by his mates and a safe stab can become a front stab as there is time to move around in this one before the animation for the stab starts. This is unlike BF3, where you would teleport to the enemy mans on the stab and get your shank in once within so many feet. Additionally, you cannot shoot someone getting stabbed out from underneath the stabber. Once the animation is underway, if the guy doesn't get shot off before completing the stab, the kill is there's. Oh, and front stabs only work on new players who don't know what is going on.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Knives are for scrub babies. Defibs for lyfe.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

causticBeet posted:

but there is nothing more frustrating in this game than being revived in a lovely spot and getting killed again right away.

I don't know, crashing every single time I play on the Locker surpassed this some time ago.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I don't really mind being revived. At least they tried.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tehinternet posted:

I don't really mind being revived. At least they tried.

The other thing is that sometimes even during firefights, people won't look down and you'll be able to get a kill or two while lying prone.

I used to hate it too but now I don't mind so much. It's fairly rare in my experience on Conquest though, since it seems everyone's running recon or engineer outside of the locker. When I was doing heavy domination to unlock weapons and train myself I used to love playing assault (outside of the fact that most people seem to think that big bag o' healing is filled with explosives, but w/e) but it just feels really weak when vehicles get involved.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

alansmithee posted:

love playing assault but it just feels really weak when vehicles get involved.
Vehicle wise your grenade launcher still kills jetsky, quads, jeeps, party wagons, all helos, jets and boats. Nothing better than sniping a jeep going jihad on your tank. Also, people inside armors have low visibility and you can poke them with the grenade to make them look your way and give your C4 guys a chance.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

That's why I use the medkits. They home in on stupid pubbies and they get healed whether they want it or not.

If the revive timer is so short now, people should be revived at 100hp. It's irritating and paddles take too long to charge for too little payoff.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

If you are hugging, the enemy can only shoot or hug you if you are winning the hug. Speaking of, nice to meet you, RadValtar. Or should I say 'knife' to meet you.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Is anyone playing this on the ps3 or 360? My mates are still playing on ps3s so that's what I got it on. The game really feels unbelievably dated, the frame rate is terrible and the resolution feels like a ps2 game. A lot of the time I press R2 before shooting just to check whether what I'm looking at is a person or a bush. I think BF4 on ps3 has set a new world record for closest pop-in, it literally doesn't render a 1990s-esque meshwire fence until you faceplant. Because I'm playing with friends it's still reasonably fun but technically it's a mess.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Where my XBoners at?!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

10 Beers posted:

Where my XBoners at?!

Had a good group going earlier, six of us plus Beelz doing a rad job commanding.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkCRsgOMI8

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

bringer posted:

Had a good group going earlier, six of us plus Beelz doing a rad job commanding.

Well that doesn't help me now, does it?!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

10 Beers posted:

Well that doesn't help me now, does it?!

It's advice for the future, to always play before you think you should!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

bringer posted:

It's advice for the future, to always play before you think you should!

But I WAS playing earlier!

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I think I was commanding for yall either right before or right after Beelz, hope I actually helped.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

One, how the hell do you promote a squad as commander on a tablet. And two, how do I join friend games to be the worse commander ever

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

tehinternet posted:

That's why I use the medkits. They home in on stupid pubbies and they get healed whether they want it or not.

If the revive timer is so short now, people should be revived at 100hp. It's irritating and paddles take too long to charge for too little payoff.

I love using med packs because they home in but too often I find myself switching to a med pack to throw it and switching back when I'm in a hurry without ever throwing one. I also don't like having to look at the ground to make sure the med pack goes to me instead of flying off out of cover. I use med boxes so I can revive someone and throw down a med box on them and run along. This'll usually help them get back to full and maybe save them if they start taking fire immediately after accepting the revive.

The game has been good to me lately, crash wise. Though I found that TDM and Domination are the most fun game modes. I don't know guys, I just don't get the fun with a million vehicles and yours always attracking a recon you can never see until he C4s you.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I got really lucky tonight and bombed 6 assholes pole dancing a flag with JDAMs. Finally enough kills to unlock the beloved Cruise Missile.

Don't. loving. Even. Bother.

The thing is a piece of poo poo for what you have to put up with to unlock it. Very limited area effect on wookies, and a direct hit on a tank only does 70 damage. If there is a box above Super Scopes Magee, and you hit the box, then the missile does absolutely no damage, and no massive explosion animation plays out. You also only get 1 per bombing run, and the thing takes forever to launch off the bomber.

I am really bummed out by this thing. I was expecting it to be a mega-nuke I could look forward to killing with and getting killed by.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

On a similar note, how effective are the bombs you unlock for attack jets? Worth taking over the lock on missiles,?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Requested_Username posted:

On a similar note, how effective are the bombs you unlock for attack jets? Worth taking over the lock on missiles,?

The JDAMs? If you are really really good at them they can be pretty decent. But they are really tough to get the handle of and you're better off demolishing vehicles with Guided/Main cannon.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I figured out promoting is done by dragging promote to the squad leader, but is there a way you can check your old commander scores so you can see how you did?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I only need one kill with the mobile AA in China Rising to unlock the MP7, but people just sit in the spawn with the aa all game shooting at jets from a mile away while staying "safe". I wish I could finish this challenge in not China Rising but I got a kill earlier in the AA on the dam level and it didn't count.

Edit: Wait, portable AA is the stinger.

Is there a list somewhere of which paints are unlocked through battlepacks and which are assignment specific?

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 22, 2013

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

V for Vegans posted:

I only need one kill with the mobile AA in China Rising to unlock the MP7, but people just sit in the spawn with the aa all game shooting at jets from a mile away while staying "safe". I wish I could finish this challenge in not China Rising but I got a kill earlier in the AA on the dam level and it didn't count.

Edit: Wait, portable AA is the stinger.

Is there a list somewhere of which paints are unlocked through battlepacks and which are assignment specific?

Yea, you need to use the stinger/igla.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
I thought the assignment stuff had to be done all in a single round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Are China Rising maps mixed in with regular, or if you want to play the expansion, you only get the 4 map choices and want regular, you join a reg server?

• Locked thread