Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

45€ for Internet +2x HDTV + phone + cellphone.

Internet comes with some kind of wireless fibre modem/router combo that can be set to bridge mode, you get 2 IPs (dynamic that changes IP if you're offline for 24h or more or static IP if you want), no ports blocked.

Plus you can watch all TV channels in VLC which is awesome.

All in all a much better deal than my previous cable that had weekly outages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
It's supposed to be 15/5 but I get better than that constantly so I'm not complaining

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Los Angeles slow crowd checking in! Guess that's the price we pay for living in the best city on Earth! Although no one can touch my 0ms ping. It turns out I am the Internet.

Time Warner Cable with $70 "Extreme" Internet.

T-Mobile LTE with lovely signal in my house.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Clear. I'm getting off them. Usually falls between 12-22mbit down and 1-2 up. I'm upset that they got bought out by Sprint and no longer offer the plan. Also their wimax towers are being converted to LTE. It's possible in 2014 they may bring back the service but I think the next year on Clear is gonna suck.

I really like how reliable it's been, but I'm starting to have issues with throttling I think.
I'm switching to the 30/5 Time Warner plan, regrettably.

I think I'm paying 49/mo.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 28, 2013

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pretty weird test because I'm actually getting about 12 megabits right now on a debian ISO.

Actually on a 25/10 connection (80/month, Thank you comcast business class) but I think my speed has more to do with my lovely Wifi penetration here. And maybe the downstairs neighbors turned on a microwave or something.

At home in NH I get 9/3 but I pay about 30 bucks a month for it. And out in the boonies it's not too bad. We're supposed to get some fiber soon.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

This only really works in Australia if your boss is footing the bill though because the $80 / month I pay for home internet doesn't come close to that.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I used to be on a 30/15 plan with Optimum and then they upgraded that "boost" plan to 50Mbps but I never got around to getting the DOCSIS 3 modem. One day they sent me it without me asking, and my $65/month plan that was getting 30Mbps turned into this:

Thought it was a mistake at first and then I read they are upping the speeds to compete with FiOS. I can't get FiOS in my apartment, but I am pretty happy.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BT Infinity 80/20 plan.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Not as insane as some of yours, but it works well enough.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

And I live under 6km from the CBD. Of 2 million people. gently caress Telstra's lovely copper network.

e: my iPhone pulls 84.94 down and 11.59 up in the same room but only has 3GB/mo. :negative:

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 1, 2013

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

With the final approval of work paying for it, I finally upgraded my internets. 100/20 from 16/3. Holy Christ, what an awesome leap. I've gone from 1-2TB of data a month to about 10TB this month.

Glad they're subsidizing it, because $200 a month? Well F that noise.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Some of your speeds are outrageous.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This is the best of 5 attempts on a good day. I wish I was back on dial-up, but my old ISP closed down.

I used to get a consistent 3 Mb/s, but then Windstream bought all of the ISPs and throttled everyone down to 56 Kb/s because they can.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This is the best of 5 attempts on a good day. I wish I was back on dial-up, but my old ISP closed down.

I used to get a consistent 3 Mb/s, but then Windstream bought all of the ISPs and throttled everyone down to 56 Kb/s because they can.

Fook me. That seems almost ground for some kind of anti trust poo poo. What the hell is that speed.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Long shot, but any UK goons have an opinion on the best FTTC ISP?

I'm with fast.co.uk at the moment, (on ~6Mb/s 21CN ADSL) and they're honestly pretty great support-wise, but their 100GB FTTC package is a 12-month £51.05/mo contract plus £101.99 setup and you have to get your own router.

I'm considering AAISP, who are also highly rated and do 100GB FTTC on a 6-month contract for £40/mo with a £1 setup and a free router. Which seems pretty great honestly and I'm wondering if I've missed something in the small print.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

3peat posted:

1000/100 for the equivalent of $18/month

I don't wanna use up my SSD with torrents so I need to get a normal hard drive that can stand over 100MBps without doing the disk overload thing, I'm thinking a WD black might work? I don't wanna deal with RAID..
That and the cost of a gigabit wireless router makes this gigabit internet thing kind of a pain in the rear end :(

The problem is if you're downloading multiple torrents, any hard drive is quickly going to be overwhelmed because you're not using the strongest point of HDDs - sequential speed - you're going to do a lot of random writes.

Essentially, a couple of raid 0 fast hard drives is a reasonable option, an SSD would be better.

Can you get a slower connection? Maybe you can save some goddamn money. Also, nobody feels sorry for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jack the Lad posted:

Long shot, but any UK goons have an opinion on the best FTTC ISP?

I'm with fast.co.uk at the moment, (on ~6Mb/s 21CN ADSL) and they're honestly pretty great support-wise, but their 100GB FTTC package is a 12-month £51.05/mo contract plus £101.99 setup and you have to get your own router.

I'm considering AAISP, who are also highly rated and do 100GB FTTC on a 6-month contract for £40/mo with a £1 setup and a free router. Which seems pretty great honestly and I'm wondering if I've missed something in the small print.

This will probably sound like blasphemy but I've been with BT since Infinity launched and I haven't had a single issue. £26 a month for 80/20 (line rental is on top of that like with everything). They have a reputation of terrible support but I haven't had to deal with it, just ordered online and it got installed.

If you want a separate FTTC modem instead of an all-in-one box then just ask the Openreach guy when he comes to swap your faceplate over and he will give you one off the van.

Going up the pricing scale a bit, Zen do unlimited for £30 and they should fit the bill of a more professional ISP perfectly.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 13, 2013

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Caged posted:

This will probably sound like blasphemy but I've been with BT since Infinity launched and I haven't had a single issue. £26 a month for 80/20 (line rental is on top of that like with everything). They have a reputation of terrible support but I haven't had to deal with it, just ordered online and it got installed.

If you want a separate FTTC modem instead of an all-in-one box then just ask the Openreach guy when he comes to swap your faceplate over and he will give you one off the van.

Yeah, I've heard okay things about Infinity generally. We have 'business' Infinity at work and it's mostly been great, (apart from them literally cutting us off in the middle of the business day on two occasions because of an unpaid invoice.. that in both cases wasn't due for like 2 weeks, which they sheepishly acknowledged before switching us back on when I called them) but I seriously cannot handle ever dealing with BT support again if I'm not being paid to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See my edit re: Zen

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

My landlord takes care of the bill so I don't know what my speeds are supposed to be. 20/5 I'm guessing.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

We pay $50 a month for 50/25 FIOS. I am really going to miss it when I have to move.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Finally got cable installed. Nothing fancy but it's so much loving faster than the DSL that's included with the apartment. At least now I can use it for a backup internet connection :haw:

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

It can definitely be worse than this in Canada -- of course, this is nearly 90/mo with very basic TV.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

When my previous ISP/telco announced they would start capping the previously unmetered connections (16/1Mbit) in about two years, I went looking for other offers.

This is what I got for 30€/month from my cable provider.

Sometimes I'm tempted to upgrade to 150/5Mbit for another 5€/month.
Most offers around here are asynchronous.

The contract for the old line is still running, since my landline is part of the deal, but having a fallback might prove to be useful.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 16, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That upload :(

BobDoleTrasher
Nov 14, 2013

Generally hates cLutch
Some crazy prices there, my 7 year old potato can't keep up with it, but my isp actually offers 1Gb/s for 18$/mo with digital, phone and cellphone included. Has the world gone mad? Also not too far away on price on a 500 Mb/s thing, with everything included.

E: to show what i mean by not keeping up, right now i'm on a 100Mb connection and this is kinda what i get, tho i did get a 160MB/s download speed off steam once, downloaded like 11 gigs in less than 10 minutes, never happened again.

BobDoleTrasher fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 19, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

this would be faster if speedtests and speedtest servers weren't so hilariously broken.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

this would be faster if speedtests and speedtest servers weren't so hilariously broken.

Here's an alternative test site that claims to be more accurate. It'll also give you nifty graphs!

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Not at home right now, but I pay about $50 for 1.2 down. gently caress all of you except that 56k guy. I hate northwest florida.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SamDabbers posted:

Here's an alternative test site that claims to be more accurate. It'll also give you nifty graphs!

I'm pretty sure that nobody stateside has 10gigabit speedtest servers. Also that site's got a slow transit carrier somewhere between them and me. Yep.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 20, 2013

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Apparently testmy.net has an optional "multithread" mode which can pull from several servers simultaneously, including Cloudflare's CDN. If that isn't enough to stress your connection, then :drat:

take the red pill
Dec 12, 2013

by T. Finninho

$90 for cable tv (no premium channels like hbo) and internet. Am I overpaying? (East Coast USA)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

take the red pill posted:

$90 for cable tv (no premium channels like hbo) and internet. Am I overpaying? (East Coast USA)

Yes.

€65 for HD television, extra channels, DVR, telephony and this internet. If we felt like it we could get our contract changed to 200/10 mbit for the same price, but then we'd need to invest in gigabit switches for our network.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I get 80/30 on Bell Aliant in St. John's, Newfoundland. No bandwidth cap either. If there's one thing our infrastructure is good for, it's internet.

Oddly the upstream seems available on an 'as necessary' basis- if I upload a large file, it often starts slow (5-10 mpbs) and ramps up to the max speed. Downstream doesn't appear to have a similar delay.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 21, 2013

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Canada.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 22, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also canada.

Yours looks like crappy satellite internet, hell, even my phone is miles faster.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Chakron posted:

I get 100/100 for $30 a month, no contract. The solution to all ISP issues is to move to the American Northwest, apparently.

Indeed!

Tacoma,WA still have public ISP's run by the public local utility company. Wrap your head around that.

Staircase
Jun 6, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Holy poo poo, another Windstream user! Aren't we so lucky?

Took this at 2AM.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Paying for 25 down, 5 up. :pwn: I suspect my old-rear end router or USB wifi adapter may be part of the problem, maybe I'll check via ethernet later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
100Mbit for $60/month. I want to try gig at $120/month, but I can't really justify it.

• Locked thread