Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

a dozen swans posted:

More family shenanigans - just tried (and failed) to use my mom's kitchen knife to cut garlic. Spent a minute with a steel and now it's back to form. Maybe people don't like to cook because they have lovely tools? :shrug:

Lots of people are horrified of sharp knives. Understandably, of course, since a sharp knife can help you cut the poo poo out of your finger much much quicker, but they also fail to understand that a sharp blade is much easier to control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I second that, the severity of the cuts I've gotten over the years are inversely proportional to the sharpness of the knife.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Blunt knives are much more dangerous than sharp; there's a much higher chance of slipping. Then you get a nice jagged cut. I cut myself every now and again (rarely) but they heal quickly because they're very clean cuts.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I hate unwarranted interest from 'authorities'.

/p

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

therattle posted:

Blunt knives are much more dangerous than sharp; there's a much higher chance of slipping. Then you get a nice jagged cut. I cut myself every now and again (rarely) but they heal quickly because they're very clean cuts.

Yeah, and since there's no significant force between them, they're cuts, not deep jabs.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Do all of you hold what you're cutting like a "cat's paw," your fingertips tucked back while guiding the blade with your knuckles?

No matter how many times I've tried, even with the sharpest knives, I can't get the hang of it. I tend to just keep my hand away from the knife instead.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Cat's paw is the official safe way to use a knife, but I think that most people just hold it and trust their own reflexes because of how much easier it is to control your cuts and get the cuts you want.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Happy Hat posted:

Busy day.. No pictures..

Helped clear a road, killed 3 cobras, found two dead guys (gender not completely determined), served lamb chops for dinner.

Christ, man. Hope you are getting home soon. You are hereby excused from community service for the rest of life. :/

contrapants posted:

Do all of you hold what you're cutting like a "cat's paw," your fingertips tucked back while guiding the blade with your knuckles?
Yes.

Yawgmoth posted:

But that's exactly what people do. I work in a grocery store and people ask me if we sell "homemade" everything, from chex mix to sweet potatoes. And when I tell them "sorry sir, but if you want homemade [thing] you'll have to make it yourself. At home. We do however sell the ingredients for that and I can help you find them, though." they look at me like I just told them they need to draw a bloody pentagram on their oven and conjure it from the depths.

I seriously think that some of these people see cooking as some kind of magic.

Sjurygg posted:

They do. And recipes are spells that must be followed to the letter, lest the Powers rain down disaster at Their dark pleasure.

gws.txt

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

therattle posted:

Yup. I've never done poo poo to my hand with a chefs knife or a good pairing knife, but I have learned to fear the channel peeler.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

Yup. I've never done poo poo to my hand with a chefs knife or a good pairing knife, but I have learned to fear the channel peeler.

I keep my knives sharp has hell and rarely cut myself, and if I do, it's usually small.

The mandolin, however....

That fucker has drawn more of my blood than the Red Cross.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Good_Vs_Evil posted:

The mandolin, however....

If you say its name three times, it will awaken, hungry for blood. (Wear disposable gloves. When the rubber nicks, let up the pressure.)

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Here's a crazy idea: use the guard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pester posted:

Cat's paw is the official safe way to use a knife, but I think that most people just hold it and trust their own reflexes because of how much easier it is to control your cuts and get the cuts you want.
Uhhhh no

pr0k posted:

Credibility shattered, forever

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

I hate unwarranted interest from 'authorities'.

/p

I remember the shadiest poo poo going down whenever my family was visiting the Philippines. Getting pulled over by cops just for bribes, etc. The last time I was there though was the funnest. Armored guard because we were riding with my mom's cousin (so I guess he's my 2nd cousin? 2nd uncle? uncle? idk), then mayor of Makati City Jejomar Binay. I can only imagine what it would be like visiting him now...

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

pr0k posted:

Pffft, gently caress that. Just learn2mandoline. Or hold whatever you're slicing with a towel. Or sharpen the blade on your mandoline so you don't have to use so much force.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pffft, gently caress that. Just learn2mandoline. Or hold whatever you're slicing with a towel. Or sharpen the blade on your mandoline so you don't have to use so much force.

I can't watch cooking shows where they use mandolins. I am always scared a gruesome injury is seconds away

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I should probably just ask my question in the quick/dumb thread, I always forget about that thing. Nothing to see here...

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 20, 2013

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Vegetable Melange posted:

(Wear disposable gloves. When the rubber nicks, let up the pressure.)
At work I'm required by corporate to wear a kevlar glove whenever I'm knifing something. It's lame for the majority of knifework but I find it's the safest way with a mandoline (switch your glove to your primary had though duh). I don't have to be nearly as careful as I would have to with just a plastic glove.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I use a turned off meat slicer for many mandoline tasks

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Speaking of meat slicers, the deli at my work has an automatic one. It's pretty neat. Slices a thing, flips the slice down onto the pile, and shaves off another slice.

The coolest thing we have in the bakery is the freezer :haw: the twist tie machine.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
The package has been delivered.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Excellent. Well done, 007.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

HK5000 posted:

At work I'm required by corporate to wear a kevlar glove whenever I'm knifing something. It's lame for the majority of knifework but I find it's the safest way with a mandoline (switch your glove to your primary had though duh). I don't have to be nearly as careful as I would have to with just a plastic glove.

I love my kevlar glove for this. I can tear through 50 Lbs of onions nearly twice as fast when I don't have to worry about nicking my hand.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I should probably stop paring with my chef's knife now that I've nicked my dumb hand three times doing it. It's just so convenient to use one knife for everything, though.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pile of brown posted:

I use a turned off meat slicer for many mandoline tasks

I used to use a running slicer for mandoline tasks. Then a dishwasher/prep kid copied me, despite specific instruction never to do that. After washing his blood off the slicer I stopped doing that.

Someone make a macro a'la Mortal Kombat: MANDOLINE WINS

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pr0k posted:

I used to use a running slicer for mandoline tasks. Then a dishwasher/prep kid copied me, despite specific instruction never to do that. After washing his blood off the slicer I stopped doing that.

Someone make a macro a'la Mortal Kombat: MANDOLINE WINS

Post pics of sacrifices to the Mandoline God ITT

(spoiled for gross)

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 20, 2013

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

pr0k posted:

I used to use a running slicer for mandoline tasks.

With your HAND? Holy poo poo. :stare:

I didn't even like manually spinning the blade while I was cleaning the slicer, let alone would I have put my hand anywhere near it while it was running. Restaurant people are loving crazy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ejstheman posted:

I didn't even like manually spinning the blade while I was cleaning the slicer, let alone would I have put my hand anywhere near it while it was running. Restaurant people are loving crazy.

Bakery people are pretty crazy too because we deal with hot things and sharp things pretty much all the time.

Also spending extended periods of time in a -2°F freezer looking for a thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Today I discovered that the angry lady on the angry lady sauce bottle is named Tao Huabi. It's her. She is the honored grandmother.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

ejstheman posted:

Only cukes and carrots and I was damned careful. And yeah, I hate cleaning it more than using it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Bakery people are pretty crazy too because we deal with hot things and sharp things pretty much all the time.

Also spending extended periods of time in a -2°F freezer looking for a thing.

Dull knives aren't sharp. Also, us real chefs do all that poo poo, but without opening boxes.(Riffing on our bakery)

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

pr0k posted:

Only cukes and carrots and I was damned careful. And yeah, I hate cleaning it more than using it.

I don't understand why they don't engineer them to be more cleanable. There's no technological reason why it couldn't disassemble just a little bit more, so you could put all the food-touching surfaces in the triple sink and wash them normally. You have to get a soapy rag and go at it like you're detailing a car, then rinse, then sterilize, then clean up the huge mess you just made on the table, then clean up the huge mess you just made on the floor.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

pr0k posted:

I've seen far too many fingers hosed up while playing with slicers..

In fact, one day I was present when a guy lost the tips of 4 fingers (and I mean bone and meat and stuff, not just skin)

Decided that cleaning the slicer with the guards off WHILE RUNNING (old slicer, only had a single button on-off switch as safety feature easily defeated by tape) BY HOLDING A RAG AGAINST THE SPINNING BLADE!

Worked great until the rag got caught and whipped his fingers around the blade, between the bottom of the slicer and the frame where there was about 1/4" clearance.

Oh, the screaming and the blood...

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
That's how I always cleaned the slicer. I cleaned the rest of it and then held a rag to the spinning blade and never had any problems with it. There was no way to clean the entire blade on any of the slicers I used without doing that. Hell, that's how everybody cleaned it and there was never any sort of finger mutilation.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

That's how I always cleaned the slicer. I cleaned the rest of it and then held a rag to the spinning blade and never had any problems with it. There was no way to clean the entire blade on any of the slicers I used without doing that. Hell, that's how everybody cleaned it and there was never any sort of finger mutilation.

It was horrifying

People cut their fingers old all the way often a very calm. He attended jumping around and spray blood everywhere.

Lots of bleach and clean up.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Have a holly jolly Christmas! It's the best time of the year! I don't know if they'll be snow but have a cup of :barf: !

Merry Christmas to me!!

One kid barfed at 10:30, 11:30, 1:30, 2:30, 4:00, 7:00, and 8:45.

Please Jesus, all I want for Christmas is for the rest of them to not start spewing vomit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NosmoKing posted:

Have a holly jolly Christmas! It's the best time of the year! I don't know if they'll be snow but have a cup of :barf: !

Merry Christmas to me!!

One kid barfed at 10:30, 11:30, 1:30, 2:30, 4:00, 7:00, and 8:45.

Please Jesus, all I want for Christmas is for the rest of them to not start spewing vomit.

You poor bastard. I mean, I'm sorry for the kids too, but they don't have to clean up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I drove 12 hours straight today, from Charlotte, NC to Shelton, CT. My meal choices today: sausage egg biscuit from McDonalds (surprisingly good), foot long oven-roasted chicken sub on wheat from Subway with lettuce, onion, cucumber, provolone, and their sriracha sauce (the worst thing I have ever eaten, and in two parts because my stomach needed something after the first half wasn't enough to tide me over the whole drive).

Now I'm in my hotel room and about to enjoy a calzone from a local place I know makes good poo poo. Several drinks have helped.

The point of this post? Don't make 12-hour drives without a compatriot other than a dog (last time I was here was with my ex, this time was with my dog who whined excessively).

I almost don't want to go to sleep because I'm in some sort of weird dream state and think everything is both fake and real.

Placenta Smoothie
Aug 25, 2008

Somehow I don't think walking unarmed into a herd of boar with razor blades for tusks is an entirely sound idea.

The Midniter posted:

My meal choices today: sausage egg biscuit from McDonalds (surprisingly good)

Go to sleep, you're both drunk and hallucinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
A couple of nights ago, I had one of those "so detailed, it's almost reality" dreams.

I was running my own butcher shop, and making custom charcuterie for customers. People would bring in their deer, elk, duck, pheasant, etc, and I would come up with a way to cure/smoke/sausage/whatever.

Everything was going great, until I received a human leg that someone wanted made into a ham. Reluctantly, I created a beautiful, spiral sliced, hickory smoked human ham from the leg for my customer.

Then, they kept showing up. Two, three, six human hams hanging in the meat locker. What the gently caress?

That's when I woke up. I rolled over, checked the time, and checked Facebook. The first post was from a restaurant I like to eat at, and their special was misspelled.

"Wine Braised Short Rob with Creamy Polenta."