Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think a lot of people who setup backups mash next until the window goes away, then clicks run on a backup job and declares the task completed successfully if it doesn't error out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It can work, I actually use it at a couple of my poor small clients that can't afford don't have tape/cloud solutions. SSR + swappable hard drives or whatever.

These guys don't have hosted Exchange or VSS aware apps, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of backups briefly, has anyone used the Amazon Storage Gateway for anything yet? Any good/poo poo stuff to report?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Stugazi posted:

Symantec System Recovery. When we logged into the restore console for the first time I saw they didn't have the Exchange stuff turned on. It was just backing up the files. Good times!

I'm suddenly terrified. We use eVault to do a MDB backup of Exchange, and we have our users use Retain archiving to do their mailbox-level restores if they need to.

Exchange (consolidated single host/all roles config) is hosted on a 6-host ESX cluster, across 3 VMs in a Neverfail replication cluster.

Am I doing something wrong?

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
FWIW, the SSR restored EDB did recover the mail. I think the client was flat out lucky and I had serious doubts but it worked so we're happy.

MSFT O365 archiving options are rear end. We have E1 and to get eDiscovery they need to go to E3. That's $8/user to $20/user.

I know GFI archiver was mentioned a few pages back. We're looking at options and prefer scaleable cloud based options. This client is planning to double in users from ~100 to 200 in next year. I feel like an onsite solution isn't going to scale as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GFI has been great for us so far. We have quite a few instances of it that we manage.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Stugazi posted:

FWIW, the SSR restored EDB did recover the mail. I think the client was flat out lucky and I had serious doubts but it worked so we're happy.

MSFT O365 archiving options are rear end. We have E1 and to get eDiscovery they need to go to E3. That's $8/user to $20/user.

I know GFI archiver was mentioned a few pages back. We're looking at options and prefer scaleable cloud based options. This client is planning to double in users from ~100 to 200 in next year. I feel like an onsite solution isn't going to scale as well.

If you want cloud based look at mime cast or McAfee mxlogic. Both offer archiving though I'd lean towards mime cast since it seems to be a nicer product. In house gfi all the way. It's awesome

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What's the most fail-proof way to get a 12gb pst into a new exchange mailbox

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Open new mailbox in Outlook, import PST.

This is basically Microsoft's only recommended approach, too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can import the PST with PowerShell as well.

https://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/importing-psts-with-powershell-in-exchange-2010-sp1/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Open new mailbox in Outlook, import PST.

This is basically Microsoft's only recommended approach, too.

yeah that's what I'm doing but I was hoping there was some third party that auto-skipped-or-magically-did-something to corrupted items etc.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

yeah that's what I'm doing but I was hoping there was some third party that auto-skipped-or-magically-did-something to corrupted items etc.

There's an option while importing with PowerShell to tolerate a defined amount of corrupted items. Can't remember what the switch is off the top of my head though. I used it constantly when we were importing PST files into our Online Archives.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
I've got a client who's with Apptix/Mailstreet and they've been suck-tastic the past few months to the point that they're seriously considering switching providers. Mailboxes just randomly disconnect from Outlook and then reconnect 20 minutes later. Is Office 365 the goon recommended provider nowadays?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That or Google Apps. What you go with depends on the organisation, if they are email = Outlook then stick to an Exchange product.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

TKovacs2 posted:

When I worked in the IT service industry, I frequently saw people using SSR as their be all/end all backup solution.

Very rarely did I come across an actual, functioning SSR solution.

There are actually functioning SSR solutions somewhere?

The company I work for has Exchange 2k7 being backed up to an ancient LTO-3 drive with BE 12. Until I started they didn't have an Exchange license (or SQL for that matter) and were wondering why every single backup was failing. The licenses are now installed after a fight to buy them (it was actually suggested that I find a pirate copy) and SQL is backing up nicely but the Exchange is still failing due to the MAPI versions being different E2k7 and backup control servers. Am I allowed to upgrade Exchange or downgrade the BE box to get them to match? Am I gently caress!

:negative:

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I would look for a new job if they are asking you to find pirated copies to backup their critical business data. They don't value IT or you. This is a reminder to you that there are greener pastures. Go find them.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Stugazi posted:

I would look for a new job if they are asking you to find pirated copies to backup their critical business data. They don't value IT or you. This is a reminder to you that there are greener pastures. Go find them.

Another there months and I'll have been there a year. I'm waiting until then before I find something else (the closer to the year mark, the better). Aside from some completely pants-on-head retarded stuff, they're actually pretty easy to work for although I could be earning a lot more money doing the same job elsewhere. A lot of the low level staff are fantastic and since I've been there there's been a hell of a lot of changes made from server upgrades to stupid things like antivirus being updates centrally (it used to be done by the users so you can imagine how often it actually got done) that I've spearheaded.

The way I'm looking at it is one year more experience is a few grand more on my pay cheque.

I'd still prefer to flip them to Office 365 and use the Exchange box for something more useful before I leave but they'll never let me do that...

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
We need to create a new domain just for email to live alongside our current one. Is there a guide for the best practice in doing this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Well, it depends what you're doing.

Are you creating new addresses? Just make a recipient update rule (test first) to add YourNewDomain.com to everyone.

If you're making a new Windows Domain, that can be a bit trickier depending on your versions of windows, etc.

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
Not an entirely new domain, just new email addresses and mailboxes. Users will remain on domain X, but have mailboxes for @X and @Y.

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
Quick situation regarding DirSync and Office 365:

I am working with SkyKick on a migration (possibly never again) and initially I had asked them about setting up DirSync prior to the migration, I didn't think it was the way to do it but they said go ahead. Now I'm realizing I shouldn't have as I'm about a week from migration and I've been stuck at creating mailboxes. I assumed they fixed this but on calling them they said they were having an issue. Obviously since we synchronized from AD to O365 with an on-premise Exch server, DirSync wrote an attribute that signified to O365 that the mailbox existed (msExchMailboxGUID). Initially I thought "well I'll set DirSync to remove that attribute and then re-Sync", but come to find out just re-synching this attribute does not in fact clear the attribute from the Azure AD side of the equation, and I can't clear it from the Azure AD side via powershell etc.

So my thought process on this goes sort of like this: Deactivate DirSync, delete the activated accounts, configure the DirSync tool to NOT write that attribute (removing it from the connector), run MSOL powershell to get deleted users and remove them from the Recycle Bin, reactivate DirSync, and then reactivate my users.

Which should then provision the mailbox. I think. Anyone have any input or corrections? I don't have the time to be wrong on this one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Balls Macintosh posted:

Not an entirely new domain, just new email addresses and mailboxes. Users will remain on domain X, but have mailboxes for @X and @Y.

Do they need brand new mailboxes? If not, just add the new address as an alias on each user, and make sure that the new address domain is accepted at the Organizational Level and on any firewalls/spam filters you might have.

If you must have new mailboxes, AD is lovely in the way that one user account = 1 user mailbox organization wide, so you would need a new Active Directory user object for each new mailbox (unless you do something like Shared Mailboxes, but I'm not a fan in this scenario.)

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
New mailboxes. They need to be able to separate company X mail from company Y mail and send/reply using the corresponding address. If I have to do create new AD users for that, that's fine, I just want to do it right.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Balls Macintosh posted:

New mailboxes. They need to be able to separate company X mail from company Y mail and send/reply using the corresponding address. If I have to do create new AD users for that, that's fine, I just want to do it right.

Yeah unfortunately exchange is dumb in this way. I think what I'd do is probably create a shared mailbox for each user and make an address policy for those new mailboxes.

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks!

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design

durabrand107 posted:

Quick situation regarding DirSync and Office 365:

I am working with SkyKick on a migration (possibly never again) and initially I had asked them about setting up DirSync prior to the migration, I didn't think it was the way to do it but they said go ahead. Now I'm realizing I shouldn't have as I'm about a week from migration and I've been stuck at creating mailboxes. I assumed they fixed this but on calling them they said they were having an issue. Obviously since we synchronized from AD to O365 with an on-premise Exch server, DirSync wrote an attribute that signified to O365 that the mailbox existed (msExchMailboxGUID). Initially I thought "well I'll set DirSync to remove that attribute and then re-Sync", but come to find out just re-synching this attribute does not in fact clear the attribute from the Azure AD side of the equation, and I can't clear it from the Azure AD side via powershell etc.

So my thought process on this goes sort of like this: Deactivate DirSync, delete the activated accounts, configure the DirSync tool to NOT write that attribute (removing it from the connector), run MSOL powershell to get deleted users and remove them from the Recycle Bin, reactivate DirSync, and then reactivate my users.

Which should then provision the mailbox. I think. Anyone have any input or corrections? I don't have the time to be wrong on this one.

This did work by the way, in the unlikely event someone else runs into this problem.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
Is there a very good reason why an Exchange 2007 installation would suddenly drop all the mail within a mailbox? This has happened twice for one particular user at one of our clients now. This user swears up and down they haven't nuked their email on purpose - it's there one day and gone the next. We can't even get it back from OWA. We're able to restore all emails from backup though, but we don't want to have to keep doing this.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

EuphrosyneD posted:

Is there a very good reason why an Exchange 2007 installation would suddenly drop all the mail within a mailbox? This has happened twice for one particular user at one of our clients now. This user swears up and down they haven't nuked their email on purpose - it's there one day and gone the next. We can't even get it back from OWA. We're able to restore all emails from backup though, but we don't want to have to keep doing this.

They are deleting it all then lying to you

VVVV Or that VVVV

Syano fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 8, 2014

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Rouge POP device grabbing it all? Those are always fun.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
No, the only places this user gets their mail is on their smartphone and on their work PC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Disable ActiveSync and OWA, see if the problem comes back.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

EuphrosyneD posted:

when you say all mail do you mean literally the entire mailbox, or is it just the inbox

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
A big gently caress you to Outlook/Exchange or whatever combination that causes Outlook to sometimes send emails as a winmail.dat attachment. We have systems that automatically reads incoming emails, extracts relevant attachments and then do some processing. I finally became fed up with having to push the problem back to the clients (whose systems and email clients we don't control) that I caved in and wrote a pre-processing step that automatically expands any winmail.dat attachments.

It works great, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

EuphrosyneD posted:

One of my newer clients is home to the biggest rear end in a top hat user base I've ever seen (100+ healthcare brokers who are just all assholes, every single one) and one guy was doing this to me - deleting all his loving emails, then bitching at me in email and CC'ing the CEOs. I loving hate corporate offices.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MW posted:

A big gently caress you to Outlook/Exchange or whatever combination that causes Outlook to sometimes send emails as a winmail.dat attachment. We have systems that automatically reads incoming emails, extracts relevant attachments and then do some processing. I finally became fed up with having to push the problem back to the clients (whose systems and email clients we don't control) that I caved in and wrote a pre-processing step that automatically expands any winmail.dat attachments.

It works great, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Don't send RTF emails.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Jeoh posted:

Don't send RTF emails.

might get this as a tattoo or at the very least, on my tombstone.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Don't send RTF emails.

You can kind of remove rtf as an option with Gpo

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

EuphrosyneD posted:

No, the only places this user gets their mail is on their smartphone and on their work PC.

Did the user tell you this? .... because if you didn't know users are loving liars.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So, uh, WTF did I miss here? I moved my London office over to our new email server and outlook just picked up the change automatically. Is this the fabled improvements made to RPC or something in one of the Service Packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

So, uh, WTF did I miss here? I moved my London office over to our new email server and outlook just picked up the change automatically. Is this the fabled improvements made to RPC or something in one of the Service Packs?

that's normal and that's why you keep the old exchange server up for a while after the migration - outlook clients that hit the old server will be informed of the new one.