Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Soonmot posted:

I liked Dr Lollipop :(
I didn't think it was great but it did have some funny bits. Certainly worth the 10 minute time investment to watch another episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Jorenko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=839ptAhRI9I

A pretty good episode appears! A bit fanwanky, but good execution.

Wallow continues to be the best.

Also in catching up on other CartoonHangover series, was there any word on more story war stuff? The production quality was not the worst cartoonhangover has produced, but I love the idea of more K.C. Green written stuff.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Parts Kit posted:

I didn't think it was great but it did have some funny bits. Certainly worth the 10 minute time investment to watch another episode.

Honestly, outside of Bee & Puppycat, none of the recent, popular, cartoons did anything for me with their first episode aside from be kind of cute. Now, I love Adventure Time. But look back at how lackluster the opinions were for Bravest Warriors when it first premiered. These shows grew into something special. Dr. Lollipop had enough going on with its setting that I wanted to see what could develop.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Soonmot posted:

Honestly, outside of Bee & Puppycat, none of the recent, popular, cartoons did anything for me with their first episode aside from be kind of cute. Now, I love Adventure Time. But look back at how lackluster the opinions were for Bravest Warriors when it first premiered. These shows grew into something special. Dr. Lollipop had enough going on with its setting that I wanted to see what could develop.

I think the problem is that Cartoon Hangover can't afford to finance three or four episodes of every new show they make. Judging by the way they handled Bee and Puppycat, it seems like you get one episode and then they'll do a crowdfunding campaign for an actual series if the audience response is positive. I'm not sure how viable that is in the long term though, since it relies on regularly putting out good pilots.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that a spongebob-style jellyfish? :haw:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Episodes until now = sell Catbug merch. This ep = sell Jelly Kid merch. And Catbug merch.

Still digging the show anyway but this is clearly the business model. Only merch I'd be at all tempted to get thus far would be a Gas Powered Stick shirt.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

Is that a spongebob-style jellyfish? :haw:
No, that's Himmel Mancheese, Emotion Lord's friend.

Also, Catbug is a vicious little bastard!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Who is behind Beth?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pardot posted:

Who is behind Beth?

Say Nothing posted:

Ker-bump.
I don't know if anybody noticed this, but Bravest Warriors has it's own version of Adventure Time's snail; a guy called The Passenger, who appears as an easter egg in every episode.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I actually kinda feel like they're overusing Catbug. I hope I don't get sick of him. :(

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bobulus posted:

I actually kinda feel like they're overusing Catbug. I hope I don't get sick of him. :(

Yes.

They should use more Plum instead. :getin:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Bobulus posted:

They hit purestrain :3: gold when they discovered that kid's voice. It's not hard to understand why they're going to milk it for all its worth.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

They obviously realize that he can't just be cute, and have been putting him in situations where how cute he is is funny (basically making him evil). That might get tiresome, but like, I think he has more staying power than you give him credit for.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cartoon Hangover top 13 moments of 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwhrvoMIrA

Dire for Hire
May 13, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Emotion Lord, best character 2012
I see your emotion lord and raise you a catbug. It's not just the character but the child voice actor who is the real life catbug.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

They obviously realize that he can't just be cute, and have been putting him in situations where how cute he is is funny (basically making him evil). That might get tiresome, but like, I think he has more staying power than you give him credit for.

I think it's less that and more that they have to milk the kid before his voice changes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

mind the walrus posted:

I think it's less that and more that they have to milk the kid before his voice changes.

The other day I was at the store and I heard a kid who sounded exactly like Catbug. It freaked me out a little bit.

So, hopefully they can find a replacement VA.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I like Bravest Warriors a lot, but I can easily see it wearing out its welcome by the time they need a new catbug VA. I agree though that finding one should be easy enough if I'm wrong.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 12, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Returning Thursday Jan. 23rd.
Still seven episodes left in season 2!

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 17, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fake edit: I'll just bump this thread for this...

Edit: Sneak peek, The Puppetyville Horror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm7aVmFbWMY

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
New Bravest Warriors is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqOy699GSk

E: It's pretty good

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 24, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Good, but bloody dark episode. You can definitely tell it came from Jhonen Vasquez.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It wasn't as dense as the other episodes. It was pretty much six minutes of buildup to one passable joke. It was alright, but it just felt a little barren to me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

How scary is it that I recognized Dana Snyder's voice almost instantly? Anyway I liked that episode.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
That was amazing, but I have to admit I think the preview for the next one makes me excited because Catbug has a cute little Catbug-colored space suit. :3:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This episode was good because there was a bunch of Impossibear, who is way better than Catbug. :colbert:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Behind the scenes, Puppetyville Horror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3sTKdcXeY
Puppet Master was Master Shake?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrviEBJyx3g

Catbug Takes Charge oh boy

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
2015 - Catbug! Also featuring Bravest Warriors.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well I've reached the point where I don't find Catbug inherently charming or cute. At least the story didn't give him a pass for totally loving up the mission.

It was nice to see Slippy Napkin though. I don't think I've seen that little guy since the pilot.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Say Nothing posted:

Behind the scenes, Puppetyville Horror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3sTKdcXeY
Puppet Master was Master Shake?

Yes indeed he was.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

mind the walrus posted:

Well I've reached the point where I don't find Catbug inherently charming or cute.

Nope. Still loving adorable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Well I've reached the point where I don't find Catbug inherently charming or cute. At least the story didn't give him a pass for totally loving up the mission.

They need to give it a bit of a rest, yes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Merewif Tag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axP2IPMslCI

Preview: Dimension Garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGGjn9BpdVw

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I cracked up real bad at HEY WHAT THE HELL BRO part. And the total lack of biz/old drafty house bit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Oh hey, no Catbug and an excellent episode.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
That was a good episode, but are they ever going to expand upon the "Plum has an evil alter-ego" thing? I don't think they've ever mentioned it in the series proper.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That was a good episode, but are they ever going to expand upon the "Plum has an evil alter-ego" thing? I don't think they've ever mentioned it in the series proper.

I was under the impression that it was less evil and more just a snobbish rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007
Regardless of whether or not it's legitimately evil, I'd like to know how one ends up with a centuries-old personality, and the body -- not to mention the whole separate brain -- of a teenager. Do Merewifs start out with one brain and one body, live a full life cycle, age as far as they can, and then develop a new brain around the point of natural death, at which point, their body "resets"? Is the Merewif council of elders populated by people with four or five brains, signifying several lifetimes' worth of wisdom? Does their species have psychic abilities?

I want way less Catbug, and more answers to the actually interesting questions the series brings up.

• Locked thread