Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

pumpinglemma posted:

Just as an aside: Madam Lodestone's name is a pun. Lodestone might not be pretty, but it's certainly attractive.

I've been Pratchetted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tiggum posted:

As for Elves...

This is still the best one:

Lords and Ladies posted:

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Wait, nearly triangular face, large eyes...

Oh god, elves are anime :stonk:

Also, in A Hat Full of Sky, Tiffany Aching enters the elven dimension, and discovers that the scenery seems to fill in the details as she looks closer at it.

It's texture pop-in

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 20, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Wait, nearly triangular face, large eyes...

Oh god, elves are anime :stonk:

Also, in A Hat Full of Sky, Tiffany Aching enters the elven dimension, and discovers that the scenery seems to fill in the details as she looks closer at it.

It's texture pop-in

Anime sociopaths from a world governed by the laws of Unreal Engine 3. the horror

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

toasterwarrior posted:

Anime sociopaths from a world governed by the laws of Unreal Engine 3. the horror

To be fair the same world produced the Nac Mac Feegle a bunch of drunken kleptomaniac smurf wannabes who were kicked out of fairyland for being drunk at 3pm on an afternoon leading a noble but doomed revolt against the queen of the elves.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 20, 2013

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to admit it is nice to hear some new, but quality, Pratchett writing in the dialogue. Too many of the new books... don;t have that. No sniping, back-and-forth stuff; at least not as much as it did in the earlier books. So while I'm glad to hear it in the videos, I am also quite sad to realise we very probably won't be seeing its kind from Pratchett again.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Bacter posted:

I fully expect to be cage matching a couple of you about Vimes next update or so!

And I am gonna be mad about that, lemme tell yez.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
I really like the idea of a troll on the run from the law hiding in sculptor's workshop.
It's the perfect camouflage!
(And I wonder if Rhodan even knows Malachite is there, seeing how scatterbrained he is.)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

He sure didn't mind telling US that Malachite was there - but maybe he'd be more careful around the watch? Does he even know Malachtie is on the lam? Does MALACHITE?

Samovar posted:

I have to admit it is nice to hear some new, but quality, Pratchett writing in the dialogue. Too many of the new books... don;t have that. No sniping, back-and-forth stuff; at least not as much as it did in the earlier books. So while I'm glad to hear it in the videos, I am also quite sad to realise we very probably won't be seeing its kind from Pratchett again.

This is actually one of the reasons I really wanted to LP this. It's pretty hard to find a published-but-not-widely-appreciated trove of Prachettry

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 20, 2013

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Bacter posted:

He sure didn't mind telling US that Malachite was there - but maybe he'd be more careful around the watch? Does he even know Malachtie is on the lam? Does MALACHITE?

It's probably more effective to ask first if either of them understand what the law even means.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Lewton's never seen a tree? (Living thing, bigger than Malachite, etc.).

And the Ren & Stimpy scene referenced with the tooth has already been mentioned, but it gains something in the actual performance, so here it is.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Living where he does, I am fully prepared to believe that he's never seen a tree. Except for the observatory, and those look kind of wan.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bacter posted:

Living where he does, I am fully prepared to believe that he's never seen a tree. Except for the observatory, and those look kind of wan.

If I recall correctly, the landscape directly outside of Morpork is one giant field of cabbages.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

citybeatnik posted:

If I recall correctly, the landscape directly outside of Morpork is one giant field of cabbages.

This is another reason why Morporkians don't tend to notice the smell.

And the best bit of Lords and ladies is any moment with Iron in it. It really is satisfying on an almost cosmic level to watch elves getting hit by Iron.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

And the best bit of Lords and ladies is any moment with Iron in it. It really is satisfying on an almost cosmic level to watch elves getting hit by Iron.
Iron and Magrat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Poil posted:

Iron and Magrat.

Oh my yes!

"Only one queen in the hive" is still ludicrously cool.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Poil posted:

Iron and Magrat.

Don't forget Greebo.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Don't forget Greebo.

I think You is scarier.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Greebo going off like a claymore mine on an unsuspecting elf while Margrat look on approvingly is the highlight of the book.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Iceclaw posted:

Greebo going off like a claymore mine on an unsuspecting elf while Margrat look on approvingly is the highlight of the book.

"Don't worry about him," said Magrat dreamily, as the elf flailed at the maddened cat. "He's just a big softy."

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

citybeatnik posted:

Chief export of the major cities of the Sto Plains: Cabbage
Chief flora of the Sto Plains: Cabbage
Chief faune of the Sto Plains: Anything that eats cabbage and doesn't mind not having any friends

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know, it occurs to me that I haven't actually read Lords and Ladies.

It also occurs to me that I have any money, and that there's a sufficiently dorky bookstore near my haus.

BRB, is what I'm saying.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
The bit with Therma is a shout out to Farewell My Lovelly, another Raymond Chandler novel, in which the events of the story kick off by a huge, somewhat dim man goes looking for his old flame Velma who used to sing a club. Also much like the bar went from a troll bar to not being a troll bar, the club in the story used to be white owned and patronized to black owned and patronized.

If anyone was unaware the old man in a wheelchair being your secret second benefactor in addition to his daughter is from The Big Sleep.

Verbose fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 22, 2013

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Verbose posted:

The bit with Therma is a shout out to Farewell My Lovelly, another Raymond Chandler novel,

Fixed that for you. Also, the bit about him not selling his manner is another reference to Chandler, it's from one of the Marlowe Novels, but I'm not certain which. I think it's the Big Sleep.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 22, 2013

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
Fixed. Too many contemporary 20th century authors named Raymond.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

quote:

Vivian: I don't like your manners.
Marlowe: And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

The Big Sleep, as it turns out!

I think I've got a movie for tonight's movie night.

Hmm. Maybe I should do some Noir game/movie recommendations!

And by that I mean I'm totally open to recommendations. I'm a mild noir games enthusiast, but I don't know my way around noir films.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 22, 2013

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Read the books ya philistine!

But yeah the Big Sleep film with Bogey is one of the best. Other classic Bogey noir films include The Maltese Falcon and Key Largo.

I'd recommend Chinatown, Double Indemnity, and The Third Man too to get you started.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dark City's pretty good for a Sci-Fi bent Noir - just watch the Director's cut, as the theatrical version was forced to put in narration that spoil the mystery five minutes in. Ending gets a bit ridiculous, but the lead up is good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dark City is less noir and more Dada, but it's worth watching, certainly.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, I'll recommend Primordia for a (barely at all Noir, arguably a little, but much more post apocalyptic sci-fi) Primordia - just finished it and both I and Mzbundifund liked the story (and if you know him, that is QUITE an achievement). It's by wadjet eye, who also did the very-highly-recommended-by-me and much-more-clearly-future-noir Gemini Rue

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Since we're doing recommendations: For sci-fi noir-ish stuff full of quirky humour, one should definitely not miss the old video game Anachronox.

e: It's actually dead cheap on sale on Good Old Games right now. Steam also has it, but no sale.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 22, 2013

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The Tex Murphy games are good for sci-fi noir with a touch of self-deprecating humour. I haven't played the first two, "Mean Streets" and "The Martian Memorandum", but I have enjoyed all the ones after them and am really looking forward to "Tesla Effect" next year.

Bogey is probably the best known Marlowe, but I'm also partial to Powers Boothe's portrayal of the private eye.

Steve Martin's love letter to noir, "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid", is also excellent. I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've been on a pretty big noir kick lately, but for me, movies and visual media are just....I don't know. Lacking, I guess. When I imagine noir, it's wrought with excessive, overly verbose borderline unnecessary but awesome narration of it's characters and environments, but the older movies just don't have that.

So, the most satisfying noir thingy I've found was the BBC's radio interpretations of Chandler's works - the voices are note for note perfect, they absolutely nailed it. I'd recommend them to anyone, here's a sample from some of the voice actors -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Dj4tB3CuQ

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 23, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Bacter posted:

Incidentally, I'll recommend Primordia for a (barely at all Noir, arguably a little, but much more post apocalyptic sci-fi) Primordia - just finished it and both I and Mzbundifund liked the story (and if you know him, that is QUITE an achievement). It's by wadjet eye, who also did the very-highly-recommended-by-me and much-more-clearly-future-noir Gemini Rue

Gemini Rue was recently ported to iOS, but I can't say how well. I gotta say I love Primordia way more. Both games have twists you can kind of see coming as the game goes on, but Primordia's didn't make me sigh.

Also, goddamn holidays, now I gotta play catch-up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In the vein of Noir, I have a question for the Goon Hivemind. Back in boy scouts at camp 20 years or so ago one of my scoutmasters had a monologue full of puns and jokes that I've been trying to source and get the whole thing. I'm about ready to decide it was original work on his part or the place he got it from is in some warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant, but I may as well ask here.

The tone of it was very similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqJEghaifM and if it was an original work I suspect that was the inspiration. It had the detective Sam Shovel. The only part I really remember was

quote:

If I wanted to find this guy I needed a clue, so I went to the Clue Closet, and he was standing inside. "Quick! Shoot him with your .44!" I didn't have a .44, so I shot him twice with my .22.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm not saying it's the same thing, but this seems like a pretty big coincidence

Also, I almost hesitate to recommend it because I'm heavily considering doing an LP of it next, but Beneath A Steel Sky was a fun, stupid, bizarre future noirish adventure.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 23, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bacter posted:

I'm not saying it's the same thing, but this seems like a pretty big coincidence

Yeah, that's the only source of it I'd found too, but it seems too far of a stretch since she (or he, but despite being gender-neutral my brain assumes Lauries are women since the ones I know are) says she never wrote anything as of 2008. Unless my scoutmaster knew her, but I'd have to delve into cyberstalking to try and figure that out. The name does not ring a bell.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
If you want a movie that mixes Noir and comedy, try The Thin Man. I only recommend the first one, however.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I've acquired the BBC recording of The Big Sleep. This is now happening. These voices are INCREDIBLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Bacter posted:

I've acquired the BBC recording of The Big Sleep. This is now happening. These voices are INCREDIBLE.

Yessss. There's like 7 or 8 of them total, so you won't run out any time soon. Blows my mind how well some british actors can do an american accent.

• Locked thread