Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

heytallman posted:

Tonight, I hit sub-35 minutes in Metroid Zero Mission any% for the first time. Tonight was also my college graduation. Why am I so much more excited with my speedrun achievement than I am my life achievement?

Because college is pointless? I don't know.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

heytallman posted:

Tonight, I hit sub-35 minutes in Metroid Zero Mission any% for the first time. Tonight was also my college graduation. Why am I so much more excited with my speedrun achievement than I am my life achievement?

Because you know you could shave at least another semester off your college strats?

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

Dana Crysalis posted:

The LCC just took the Final Fantasy 6 Any% record from Essentia. 4:56:03

http://www.twitch.tv/thelcc

quotin' dis for awesome.

Seriously, dude's been grinding that poo poo hard, and he's a cool guy and he runs other quality speedgames like Cook Serve Delicious.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask this since y'all are probably the most versed in the different ways to sequence break and shortcut games: What games have you found where developers have either hidden content behind attempts to do things out of order or have breaks that were obviously found in development and left in, perhaps with something acknowledging that they knew it was possible.

I'm thinking of stuff like the covenant in Dark Souls only available if you clear two areas meant to be late-game early, or the cutscene in Metroid Fusion only seen if you do a lot of tricky work to try to leave the area early (and then blocks you out of actually leaving because the devs suck). Or even minor stuff like getting the fourth party member in Golden Sun as fast as possible and her getting lines in cutscenes she normally wouldn't be in, or being able to backtrack in Psychonauts with Mr. Pokeylope (who you'd normally have for about 3 minutes) and getting dialogue about him from just about every NPC.

figure you might know about this already, but there's a hidden message in metroid fusion by doing a series of complicated shinesparks:
http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/other_secret_message.php

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Studio posted:

There has to be something in Warcraft3/Starcraft2 because that's very Blizzardlike and there is usually easter eggs in random places.
I think the either the first or second map in the Human campaign of Warcraft 3 had a hidden usable Hydralisk that you could get to by destroying a bunch of random NPC buildings. I think there's also a Marine in the game but I don't recall if that's actually used anywhere.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

dj_de posted:

I think the either the first or second map in the Human campaign of Warcraft 3 had a hidden usable Hydralisk that you could get to by destroying a bunch of random NPC buildings. I think there's also a Marine in the game but I don't recall if that's actually used anywhere.

Warcraft 3 had assets for a normal marine, ork marine, zerglings and a hydralisk in game. Don't recall where they were used but they were hidden in the campaigns somewhere

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

dj_de posted:

Also if you click a sheep a few hundred times, it does an explosion effect, and if you keep clicking it for another few hundred times, it explodes into Gibs.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Studio posted:

If you reach the end of the boat level in Gimmick with the boss asleep he can be pushed off, but I'm not sure how reliably you can get there quickly. I know a lot of CStrike maps had the credits off in random skyboxxes. There has to be something in Warcraft3/Starcraft2 because that's very Blizzardlike and there is usually easter eggs in random places.

As soon as I saw "boss asleep" I remembered that you can snipe the piranha plant boss in Yoshi's Island and get Kamek to say "Oh My!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQoOyl2uoNw

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dizz posted:

Also if you click a sheep a few hundred times, it does an explosion effect, and if you keep clicking it for another few hundred times, it explodes into Gibs.

It did an amazing ripple effect to the ground as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

or being able to backtrack in Psychonauts with Mr. Pokeylope (who you'd normally have for about 3 minutes) and getting dialogue about him from just about every NPC.

You were originally supposed to have Mr. Pokeylope for a considerably longer portion of the game, and the voices were recorded before the extra content was cut.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dj_de posted:

The Dwarf Marine/Orc Firebat are only used in the credits, I think, same with Guitair Arthas.

When's Awesome Games Done Quick start if it hasn't? I think it starts around now? Who knows maybe it's already over. :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's always in January, and it continues to be in January.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
What location is the next AGDQ taking place at? I didn't see it listed anywhere on the site itself, so I can only assume it might not have been decided on yet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's not the sort of thing that gets left to the last minute. It's at the Crowne Plaza Dulles Hotel in Herndon, Virginia.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Dr. Dos posted:

As soon as I saw "boss asleep" I remembered that you can snipe the piranha plant boss in Yoshi's Island and get Kamek to say "Oh My!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQoOyl2uoNw

I remember discovering this on my own as a kid and thinking I was amazing and found some secret nobody knew about :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
Young Orc

MrLonghair posted:

I publicly, not secretly, feel that it would be great if Twitch crashed and burned and hosed up real hard during AGDQ, because what better way to make Twitch improve? Media and investors will be watching.

If it actually does become a disaster and the fault lies with Twitch, blame me for having my wish come true and hope for the better.

FYI, accelerationalism doesn't ever work the way you want it to.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

flatluigi posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask this since y'all are probably the most versed in the different ways to sequence break and shortcut games: What games have you found where developers have either hidden content behind attempts to do things out of order or have breaks that were obviously found in development and left in, perhaps with something acknowledging that they knew it was possible.

There's always the Escapipe sequence break in Phantasy Star 3.

You have to sell all of your starting equipment to afford it, and if you use it you get teleported out of the story jail cell and the king basically says "Good job, but you hosed up the plot. Try again."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

There's always the Escapipe sequence break in Phantasy Star 3.

You have to sell all of your starting equipment to afford it, and if you use it you get teleported out of the story jail cell and the king basically says "Good job, but you hosed up the plot. Try again."
Not to mention the later one they didn't catch which lets you skip an entire generation.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
This guy is practicing a Q1 run... Not that amazing but wow Quake 1

http://www.twitch.tv/docflam

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

http://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner

TMR has a theme song now.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ArfJason posted:

figure you might know about this already, but there's a hidden message in metroid fusion by doing a series of complicated shinesparks:
http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/other_secret_message.php

Well that IS what his post mentioned.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Sunday Sequence Break is live with an AGDQ Hype episode.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Caleb's family just interrupted half-naked playing MMX for the interwebs time while looking for something and he's so angry he's almost snorting into the mic. But at least he's 9 seconds ahead of PB!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

Well that IS what his post mentioned.

Ahaha oh for gently caress's sake how did I not see that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Caleb gets madder every time I watch the stream, it's amazing.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Him dying right after he said "The rest of the run is cake, I won't choke" is the funniest poo poo I've seen in a while.

e: "This is why they have abortions, to get rid of fuckfaces like me"

vv He's one of my favorite speedrunners, honestly. His chat interaction is great, and he seems really grateful for donations and viewers. His rages are really just the cherry on top.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 23, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Caleb is either a well-played, fine-tuned gimmick or has genuine problems.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

CVagts posted:

Caleb is either a well-played, fine-tuned gimmick or has genuine problems.

He's just a buff nerd who takes his speedgaming seriously. Can't we all appreciate that?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's been like that since he had like 200 followers, maybe he's just a little nuts.

But yea he's funny as hell.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Uranium Anchor is practicing Deus Ex 1 for AGDQ. So far it's been the adventures of JC Denton the pyromaniac leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iastudent posted:

Uranium Anchor is practicing Deus Ex 1 for AGDQ. So far it's been the adventures of JC Denton the pyromaniac leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

Finally I keep missing these.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh look at what I got...20lbs of vinyl.

edit: sorry that was huge.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I was disappointed it wasn't 50 copies of the white album.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

AGDQ 201q

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

hitze posted:

AGDQ 201q

Hey I just got them printed I didn't design them :)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Just save it and use it again in 2019.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Hahaha why are SDA so consistently awful at graphic design

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Hahaha why are SDA so consistently awful at graphic design

the technology isn't there yet.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I especially like the 'MS Word 97 wordart' secondary font

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Comic Sans And Impact used Too Quickly.

• Locked thread