Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Shakugan posted:

But the biggest problem is the constant flash forwards. I don't want to know what happens in one hour, especially when the show works flawlessly without these flash forwards. It seems to me like a shameless grab to keep viewer attention to let them know that something interesting will happen, but it just removes a lot of the excitement and surprise. I generally just look away when they are showing them, but they shouldn't be in there in the first place.

The flash forwards bother me as well, but since it's in Korean all I have to do is not look at the screen and I'll be non the wiser. (I did a similar thing for the credits of BSG.) It's a stylistic choice of the show, so it's on me to skip out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Same here, I just look away. Thankfully they do the black bumper before and after, so it's fairly easy to look away and back and not miss anything. Sometimes they're deliberately misleading, sometimes not. But even if they're misleading, they still sometimes point to a specific thing happening, which I try to avoid getting spoiled on.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Everyone seems to pick up on the dexter soundtrack, but it's the Ocean's Trilogy stuff that pops out for me. Only so many times you can hear Gritty Shaker and not kinda wince.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The flash-forwards don't really spoil anything for me. I mean, I know that somebody got screwed, but the answers to "how?" and "who by?" turn out to be something I hardly ever expect. It's been like that for me since the first episode with the garnet bribe orchestrated by the webcomic dude.

Kinda like an episode of Columbo: I already know who done it, I just want to know how Columbo figured it out and how crazy he can drive the perp while doing it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Teddybear posted:

Everyone seems to pick up on the dexter soundtrack, but it's the Ocean's Trilogy stuff that pops out for me. Only so many times you can hear Gritty Shaker and not kinda wince.

I also just finished binging through season one of this show, and the best was when half the episode was set to The Great Gatsby soundtrack, including a whole five-minute montage set to Lana Del Rey. Also they liked to use Tron: Legacy a lot too. And regarding the flashforwards, they didn't bother me too much, but I miss that that they dropped the "THERE IS A BIG TWIST COMING UP" notice they had in the first few episodes, those were hilarious.

I do like when the games have some sort of component that challenges me while watching it, and when the show is edited in a way to let me "play along" with the problem-solving aspect of things, even if the whole game theory/social strategy stuff is entertaining on its own.

And man, (season one) Jinho impressed the hell out of me. Like, him rocking the Open Pass game was cool, but going in it felt like there was a way to "solve" the game like that, especially since the other players had figured out the colors, but we as audience members couldn't really "play along" at home for that since that's such a tiny detail. However, him figuring out how to win the 5:5 Game in the 10-minute break astounded me; what he did seems so obvious and logical in hindsight but I never would have thought to do that if I were playing.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hey guys, the totally bizarre music cues are one of the many amazing things about this show - another great one is the use of the main theme from Django (at the end of episode 7). I could definitely do without the flash-forwards but they can serve their purpose sometimes: in most episodes there is a period in the middle when everyone has their plans in place and it's easy to start believing that everything will play out exactly how they expect, but then the flash-forwards act as a reminder that nope, someone is getting hosed over.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The flash-forwards don't really spoil anything for me. I mean, I know that somebody got screwed, but the answers to "how?" and "who by?" turn out to be something I hardly ever expect. It's been like that for me since the first episode with the garnet bribe orchestrated by the webcomic dude.

Kinda like an episode of Columbo: I already know who done it, I just want to know how Columbo figured it out and how crazy he can drive the perp while doing it.
The problem with the Columbo comparison is that how he figures it out and driving the perp crazy is the whole charm of the show, it's gimmick, if you will. In the case of The Genius, trying to solve the "mystery" itself is appealing, at least for me.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The flashforwards don't bother me, but I also don't think they add a whole lot most of the time. Although there are some notable exceptions, like (S1 Spoiler) the one in the zombie episode, where it went from Sangmin thinking he had everything solved to him running around, frantically begging for a cure. That was a pretty funny contrast that wouldn't have been as effective if it wasn't cut together like that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I really like the flash-forwards, because it really shows you how, in just a couple of hours, things can change so drastically and unexpectedly. They can also throw you off and deceive you, much in the way the players can be deceived, which makes for fun twists sometimes. They don't really spoil anything, and you then uncover the "what" and "why" leading up to the moments, much like how the show focuses on the "what" and "why" of the games.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Episode 3 is available

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I'm a huge Sangmin fan but it's pretty clear to me that he's not going to last much longer. No one is even trying to pretend trusting him, but just keeping their distance.

On the other hand how clueless is Junghyun?? He couldn't be faking it could he?

edit:

GraPar posted:

Episode 3 is available

Alert ! Alert! Jinho is starting the episode with only five garnets!!! Something nefarious is in the works...

Edit2: Oh man. That was a magnificent episode.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 23, 2013

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'm sad that Dahye got eliminated. I had high hopes for her from the start but I guess the nerves got to her, which is a fatal mistake. Doohee was a sneaky son of a bitch with the acting though, well done to him. Great episode yet again, but I'm looking forward to next episode since the preview made it seem like a pretty interesting game.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

That was an amazing deathmatch.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Wahad posted:

I'm sad that Dahye got eliminated. I had high hopes for her from the start but I guess the nerves got to her, which is a fatal mistake. Doohee was a sneaky son of a bitch with the acting though, well done to him.

Yeah, I was really hoping Dahye would stay on longer as well, especially over Yooyoung. Ah well. Also, Jiwon continues to be loving annoying, I hope he goes soon. The only cast-member I dislike.

Pretty good episode, though the main game wasn't the most engaging or exciting in my opinion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fun episode, I'm really starting to feel the new cast. I like how Hongchul is smarter than he seems and how pragmatic Yoonsun is but I figured Doohee was a spy so I'm surprised nobody else considered it. Having a spy in the opposition definitely seemed like the best strategy there.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm definitely pulling for Yoonsun at this point. Though I love the magician's sunglasses, because they make him look extra shady at all times.

Also why did it take until the last 5 minutes before Extreme Ways showed up :colbert:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
That was a pretty intense death match, but I'm a little sad that it ended up with only two people. Teasing a death match involving even more players was cool, so I hope it happens later on. It'd be interesting if there was a game where only one player could win, and everyone else goes to a giant death match together.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cityinthesea posted:

Also why did it take until the last 5 minutes before Extreme Ways showed up :colbert:

I was worried it wouldn't be in the episode at all! Don't hold out on me, Korea! :argh:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Am I the only one that thinks Gyul is too strong in the Hap/Gyul game? I honestly think it should only be worth one point.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Zythrst posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Gyul is too strong in the Hap/Gyul game? I honestly think it should only be worth one point.

When it was in the Series 1 Finale I thought so, but then they added the six round limit this time around so I think that balances it out.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Actually I think Gyul/Hap is a flawed game because if both players were tied and knew there was only one Hap left, the game basically (never) ends as both refuse to find it.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
It ends when 6 turns have passed.

If you were very good, you can always get Gyul or deny it. I think it's fine, it allows for a comeback.

Plus how many negative points were given for getting it wrong? It seemed like a lot.

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 23, 2013

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Femur posted:

It ends when 6 turns have passed.

If you were very good, you can always get Gyul or deny it. I think it's fine, it allows for a comeback.

Plus how many negative points were given for getting it wrong? It seemed like a lot.
Just one. I agree that the reward for a successful Gyul call is too high, since the risk is only one point.

Hap Gyul seems to be based on classic card game known in the west as Set. In the tabletop version, there are no turns -- you just yell "Set!" when you see a match. If correct, the three cards are scored/replaced, and the rest of the board stays the same.

It's a pretty fun little card game. You can get a copy from Amazon for like $10.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Phenomenal episode: great twist, exciting deathmatch. Have come round to liking Hongchul. Love that Jinho has been on fire this season - three immunities, all without pissing anyone off too much. Next week's episode does look mental, and Sangmin-heavy, so guaranteed to be brilliant.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would have thought Jinho would be a bigger target but I guess most people would rather be his ally for the time being rather than try to knock him out.

I saw the backstab coming a mile away but I loved the montage. Running back and forth and throwing notes into the room was just too funny.

In the deathmatch, Dahye should have bought a token of betrayal as soon as the players isolated them. That would have given the Yooyung a point but broken the strategy. That might not have saved her, but it would improve her chances of being able to escape.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 24, 2013

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I think the best way to deal with the Gyul would be if you are wrong, you lose a point and you are out for the rest of that board.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

How would you go about casting an American version? Assuming you kept it as a one day a week commitment, $10k per garnet, you could get a lot of people who wouldn't normally do that. People you wouldn't ordinarily think of as smart, clever folks.

Xavier Woods, for example, is a professional wrestler who you wouldn't expect to be clever, but he's actually a PhD candidate.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Teddybear posted:

How would you go about casting an American version? Assuming you kept it as a one day a week commitment, $10k per garnet, you could get a lot of people who wouldn't normally do that. People you wouldn't ordinarily think of as smart, clever folks.

Xavier Woods, for example, is a professional wrestler who you wouldn't expect to be clever, but he's actually a PhD candidate.
The way American celebrity-based competition shows are normally cast wouldn't work. You end up with D-list celebrities -- one-hit wonders from the 80's, reality show "stars", that sort of thing. People like this are usually participating solely to further their careers, and they tend to cause drama to get more screen time.

There's also the problem with the manufactured conflict that occurs on every single one of these shows here. The producers prompt the contestants for everything, reshooting segments for more desirable reactions, and sometimes flat-out telling people what to say.

The thing I love about The Genius (and Running Man), is that everything is so good-natured. Even when there's deceit and backstabbing, it's rare that anyone gets genuinely angry. This type of show just doesn't exist here. As far as American networks are concerned, drama equals ratings.

I think the only way it could happen would be for it to be a web-based series (free of network bullshit), cast with people from the "nerd community" (less drama). I know it's trendy to hate on people like Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, and Felicia Day, but they're the type of people who could pull off a Genius-style show without ruining the concept.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

The way American celebrity-based competition shows are normally cast wouldn't work. You end up with D-list celebrities -- one-hit wonders from the 80's, reality show "stars", that sort of thing. People like this are usually participating solely to further their careers, and they tend to cause drama to get more screen time.

There's also the problem with the manufactured conflict that occurs on every single one of these shows here. The producers prompt the contestants for everything, reshooting segments for more desirable reactions, and sometimes flat-out telling people what to say.

The thing I love about The Genius (and Running Man), is that everything is so good-natured. Even when there's deceit and backstabbing, it's rare that anyone gets genuinely angry. This type of show just doesn't exist here. As far as American networks are concerned, drama equals ratings.

I think the only way it could happen would be for it to be a web-based series (free of network bullshit), cast with people from the "nerd community" (less drama). I know it's trendy to hate on people like Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, and Felicia Day, but they're the type of people who could pull off a Genius-style show without ruining the concept.
I agree with all of this, except we don't have any proof that celebrities like Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, or Felicia Day are, for lack of a better term, smart enough to last more than a couple episodes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Josh Lyman posted:

I agree with all of this, except we don't have any proof that celebrities like Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, or Felicia Day are, for lack of a better term, smart enough to last more than a couple episodes.
True, but they'd probably be smarter than the drummer from RATT or a runner-up from Survivor eight seasons ago.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Alternatively don't make it American, but make it British and get the best of the panel show regulars, plus maybe some other out there invites.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 24, 2013

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Bankok posted:

I think the best way to deal with the Gyul would be if you are wrong, you lose a point and you are out for the rest of that board.

But you pretty much guarantee 4+ points to your opponent.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I could see it as something Nerdist or geek and sundry could put together. It's one set, cheap props, short film times, and the most expensive single thing would be the prize money probably.

Man, I hope this happens. Anybody got Hardwick's number?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I think an American version of the show would require the contestants to live in the game house, and most likely would work better with random people than the D-List "celebs" they would be able to book.

How are all these presumably notable people(I don't know, I have no knowledge of Korean pop-culture) able to make time every week to show up at some house? Is Korea that small? Or are these people just not very busy?

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
What is the Idol of Immunity supposed to be that they're getting hints for? I'm not sure they went into explaining it much at all.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fooma posted:

What is the Idol of Immunity supposed to be that they're getting hints for? I'm not sure they went into explaining it much at all.
It lets the user declare him/herself immune from the death match one time. I wasn't real clear on when it has to be used.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
This is the most amazing goddamn show. The music cues can get kinda cheesy, but I think they're used very well most of the time, and I will never ever listen to Extreme Ways the same way ever again.

Spoilers for who's still here after 3: I think Boxer and the magician are my favorite of the ones left, but Hongchul can poo poo talk like nobody else and is more socially smart than anyone gives him credit for. Sangmin is pretty pro at reading people, and I'm pretty sure Yoonsun has balls of steel fitting for a lawyer. It'd be pretty cliche for Boxer and Jinho to end up in the finals, but oh my god it'd be epic.

As for everyone making it to the show, it's not that long of a commitment, and google says that South Korea is a bit smaller than Virginia. I can get more or less anywhere in the state in a few hours, so I don't think it'd be that much of a problem.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
South Korea isn't very large, no, and something like half (or more?) of the country's population live in or around Seoul. Once everyone has their schedule cleared for the duration of the show I don't think actually getting there is a big concern.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I nominate Patton Oswalt, Danica McKellar, Wil Wheaton, some guy from the MIT blackjack team, and I dunno, Frank Abagnale Jr, as the first contestants. (If not a contestant, Wil is probably the perfect producer for this show since the Korean producer said that its games were created in collaboration with board game makers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I'm only halfway through an episode but holy poo poo watching amicable smart people play complicated games against each other is loving delightful.