Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bolind posted:

It happened today! I flashed my brights (two long ones, as to convey friendliness, if that's at all possible) at a white Hyundai with no rear lights and then he turned them on!

This never happens.

He was probably brake checking you but didn't have any brake pads in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

spog posted:

I followed a Triumph Spitfire on a unlit dual carriageway, with no rear lights, but fully-working headlights (a rarity for a British car of that age that they worked).

What else could be done? Morse code?

Headlights but no tails on a vintage Triumph? Someone would have to armwrestle the Prince of Darkness.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
90's Nissan Quest, 7:30 last night, going 80 up RT3 with no lights, full of kids, mom driving on cell phone, dad passed out in passenger seat, discounted Christmas tree tied to the roof. Christmas tree decides that two bits of twine wont keep it down and that sucker flew off. That's tree #4 I have dodged this december :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

What else could be done? Morse code?

A scrolling led sign in your rear window with the message "TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS YOU DOOFUS."

I know we've all considered that, right?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

A scrolling led sign in your rear window with the message "TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS YOU DOOFUS."

I know we've all considered that, right?

I couldn't behave with such a thing. Texting while Driving would take on a whooole new dimension :unsmigghh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I got as far as pricing out parts to build one and then realized I would probably become the victim of road rage very quickly.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Beach Bum posted:

I couldn't behave with such a thing. Texting while Driving would take on a whooole new dimension :unsmigghh:

They're only about :10bux: :10bux:, too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-Red-LED-Message-Sign-Moving-Scrolling-Display-Board-for-Car-shop-windows-/251395542985

eBay posted:

Support :English character,digital,punctuation & Russian

Блядь! Блядь! Блядь!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
So it's snowing in Seattle. Everyone knows what that means!

I came into work about 2 hours late to let the roads clear up a little bit. During my wait, I watched a guy wreck outside my apartment because he thought his SUV could drive like it can when it's dry. Slammed it sideways and pretty hard into a curb.

Today was my first time driving my RWD Volvo in the snow, as well as driving stick in the snow; so I was taking it nice and easy. During my 8mi little adventure, I saw several tank commanders, including some in grey/silver cars without their lights on. Then there were the guys in the SUVs / Brotrucks that were doing 40 - 50 down city streets. One of them was riding my tail for a few miles even though I was in the right lane and the only car on the road. Why don't you get around me?

I trust myself behind the wheel in snow, but man, I almost never drive in it because of the other drivers around here are so drat stupid and impatient.

My rig this morning:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Solar Coaster posted:

So it's snowing in Seattle. Everyone knows what that means!

There is a reason why I am sitting in my office at my house instead of the real office downtown. Not only is it the last day before the holiday shutdown, but there was no way in hell I was going to risk some rear end in a top hat hitting my new car. I had to drive my girlfriend to school this morning, so I had a chance to try out the new Jetta in the snow. Did surprsingly well on the stock tires. And I might have taken advantage of the big empty parking lot at her school to play with the handbrake. I was half tempted to go for a drive in my e30, but apparently the battery did not like sitting for a couple months unused.

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!
Roxbury SW and Meyers Way headed down to Georgetown were disappointingly clear of snow/wrecks, but up in Arbor Heights things were delightfully slick at 9am. I very nearly got the Buell out for some real shenanigans, but decided that wrestling the bike out of the shed and through my snowy backyard wasn't worth it. Hopefully this year we will have another Seattle SNOWPOCALYPSE, it's entirely downhill to work, and my rock skis could use some more asphalt treatment on the edges.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

This is more of a 'these are the pedestrians who occasionally share the roads with you when they cross', but on the way into work just now I saw a lady who had decided the best way to get traffic to stop for her to cross was to push her stroller out onto the road with her child still in it.

And this was instead of walking about 30ft to a proper crossing with traffic lights and stuff too :psypop:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Icedude posted:

This is more of a 'these are the pedestrians who occasionally share the roads with you when they cross', but on the way into work just now I saw a lady who had decided the best way to get traffic to stop for her to cross was to push her stroller out onto the road with her child still in it.

And this was instead of walking about 30ft to a proper crossing with traffic lights and stuff too :psypop:

Roosevelt Boulevard in Philadelphia is one of the most dangerous roads in the country. Mostly because pedestrians do just this and die constantly. Don't get me wrong though, most of the drivers over there are assholes too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Work has me traveling the Boulevard quite a bit. It is a nasty stretch of road. I also take it to get to my mom's house; my wife medicates before that trip.

One of the worst fatal car accidents I investigated happened there, when newlyweds were rear-ended by a drunk driver while sitting at a red light, and were trapped in the car while it burned.

Just about every tree is scarred.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
As someone who has driven a Uhaul i can't imagine how slow this thing was driving when it got pulled over.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

:gonk:

I hope that was an expensive ticket, cripes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's one expensive tow hitch adapter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wonder what MPG that box truck was getting.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
"A". A mile per gallon.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Bovril Delight posted:

I think it was probably in the GPM, gallons per mile, field honestly.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd be willing to bet its more on the order of "how many gallons per mile" it was getting.

e:f/b

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Toucan Sam posted:

As someone who has driven a Uhaul i can't imagine how slow this thing was driving when it got pulled over.

Pfft, haters...

0rganDonor fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 23, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

0rganDonor posted:

Pfft, haters...

I was thinking the exact same thing. :hfive:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Toucan Sam posted:

I have an acquaintance that lost his second food truck trailer that way. The 2500 Ram tow vehicle died, so they hitched it to a front-lift tow truck, with the trailer still attached. A couple miles later, the trailer rolled, and smeared itself all over the turnpike.

His first venture was an airstream he converted, and mounted two big commercial-sized propane tanks to an improvised platform on the aft end, and didn't adjust the trailer CG, so it only had like 20 pounds of tongue weight. That one got squirrelly and smeared itself all over the turnpike as well.

Did I mention that after the first time he miraculously didn't loving kill anyone, he used kickstarter to fund his second traffic jam food trailer, and after he AGAIN managed to not kill anyone, he's doing the same thing?

:v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I read that as a totally different type of tank and started looking up how to get it on my license. :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toucan Sam posted:

Richard Scarry approved.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Elmnt80 posted:

I read that as a totally different type of tank and started looking up how to get it on my license. :(

In the UK, if you passed your car test during 1990-1996, you were automatically allowed to drive Agricultural Tractors, Road Rollers and Tanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spog posted:

In the UK....... Road Rollers

Now you're just making up words. You know that we know you guys do this to us, right?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Now you're just making up words. You know that we know you guys do this to us, right?

What do you call this?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Measly Twerp posted:

What do you call this?

Steamroller.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Enter Char posted:

Steamroller.

Where does the coal go?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is a rip off of the CATERPILLAR CS433E VIBRATORY SMOOTH DRUM ROLLER. No longer powered by steam.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

You don't need a special license to drive a tank on the road. So long as it has road treads and you follow all the weight and width restrictions that we on the commercial side follow and are not driving it for profit, you're golden.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

That is a rip off of the CATERPILLAR CS433E VIBRATORY SMOOTH DRUM ROLLER MAGIC WAND. No longer powered by steam.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

0rganDonor posted:

You don't need a special license to drive a tank on the road. So long as it has road treads and you follow all the weight and width restrictions that we on the commercial side follow and are not driving it for profit, you're golden.

If I'm driving a tank around on public roads, one way or another, I'm getting some money.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Who would stop you from driving a tank anyway? Someone with a bigger tank?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Who would stop you from driving a tank anyway? Someone with a bigger tank?

Generally guns are involved. :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Nelson

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So many idiots driving silver cars with no lights in the fog this morning.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Must be nearly time for the tour down under again, so many spastics in Lycra on the roads again. That road train of arrogance would have been 200m long and doing no more than 25kph in a 100kph zone.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ferremit posted:

Must be nearly time for the tour down under again, so many spastics in Lycra on the roads again. That road train of arrogance would have been 200m long and doing no more than 25kph in a 100kph zone.

gently caress you, cyclists have the right to the road too, and riding in a big gently caress off group like that means that they're less likely to get killed by manchildren like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cyclists have the right to ride single file and should get out of the way when traffic needs to pass, not block the entire road for a distance too long for anyone to pass them.