Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

La Parka had his awesome fat guy corkscrew. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DeathChicken posted:

La Parka had his awesome fat guy corkscrew. :colbert:
This!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO-HfHdGLfg

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Has there ever been a stable comprised entirely of high-flyers? Most stables seem pretty well balanced. I want to say Filthy Animals, but Konnan and Disco weren't really flying dudes. I guess the Mexicools would count too, even though they were more ground-based by the time they all got to WWE.

Special K in RoH was exclusively bad indie highflyer spot monkeys

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mick's "Carnies/Racists/Perverts" entry should basically be "Wrote The Hardcore Diaries." I had only that book to keep me company on a three-day train ride and it still pisses me off how bad it was.

I haven't read Countdown to Lockdown.

Hardcore Diaries was a horrible, garbage book.

Countdown to Lockdown was better, but maybe it's just because I had my sights set so low after that HD crap.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
What makes Hardcore Diaries so especially bad? Like, I rarely hear ill spoken of Foley and his writing around here but when Diaries comes up no one has anything good to say about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Special K in RoH was exclusively bad indie highflyer spot monkeys

Brian XL and Abyss were in Special K at various times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

What makes Hardcore Diaries so especially bad? Like, I rarely hear ill spoken of Foley and his writing around here but when Diaries comes up no one has anything good to say about it.
It's 50% him creeping on divas and 25% him rambling incoherently about his 'great' ideas that were actually terrible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Brian XL and Abyss were in Special K at various times.

Brian XL was a spot monkey. Still, nobody would call Abyss a highflyer.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Endorph posted:

It's 50% him creeping on divas and 25% him rambling incoherently about his 'great' ideas that were actually terrible.

To expand a little on the latter part, Foley was really obsessed with the idea of having one last huge top guy run in the 2005-2006 range and spends good chunks of the book having his hopes to "make" John Cena in the same way that he got Triple H and Randy Orton really over get dashed, and things like that. That part of the book is actually an interesting window into both the modern WWE creative process and Foley's desire to have one last big run (which ultimately led him to that sad run in TNA).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Brian XL was a spot monkey. Still, nobody would call Abyss a highflyer.

Maybe I am thinking of Slugga then? They had a big rear end bodyguard at some point.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe I am thinking of Slugga then? They had a big rear end bodyguard at some point.

Slugger was the other big guy with Special K indeed. Plus, Joey Matthews was in Special K as well, and he wasn't really a high flyer either. Heck, during his run with them they even made it a point to have him wrestle like a cheap "Jerry Lawler in Memphis" knockoff while the other Special K members were doing 630 corkscrew backwards rana moonsault planchas onto their own faces.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The real answer is the greatest stable of all time, The Flying Elvises. God I hate you TNA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The real answer is the greatest stable of all time, The Flying Elvises. God I hate you TNA.
Early TNA had some amazing gimmicks. Remember those two dudes whose gimmick was that their dicks were gigantic?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

Early TNA had some amazing gimmicks. Remember those two dudes whose gimmick was that their dicks were gigantic?

No, the gimmick was that they were literal giant sentient cocks. The Johnsons.

PSA: If your dick actually looks like either of these guys, please get tested.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 23, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

No, no their gimmick was they were human dicks being humiliated by the least convincing Ivy League dandy ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, I know those dudes, but there were two other dudes who stuffed tubesocks down their shorts to give the illusion of having a ginormo-sausage.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"We'll have TWO dick-themed tag teams!"
\
:russo:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8H0DJRGNMs

wwe also had a team called the dicks although i think they were just meant to be chipendale rip offs.

Lance storm had a huge dick gimmick for a week when he was changing gimmicks also about every week.

Basically stuff like this is what your parents/friends who hate wrestling walk in on.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Endorph posted:

No, I know those dudes, but there were two other dudes who stuffed tubesocks down their shorts to give the illusion of having a ginormo-sausage.

I think one of them was half of The Naturals?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeffersonlives posted:

To expand a little on the latter part, Foley was really obsessed with the idea of having one last huge top guy run in the 2005-2006 range and spends good chunks of the book having his hopes to "make" John Cena in the same way that he got Triple H and Randy Orton really over get dashed, and things like that. That part of the book is actually an interesting window into both the modern WWE creative process and Foley's desire to have one last big run (which ultimately led him to that sad run in TNA).

Wasn't there also something about him believing that having Terry Funk bite Vince's rear end would make Funk / Dreamer / Foley at One Night Stand into the hottest angle WWE had seen in years? (And then him pouting for 20 pages when Vince said, "No, actually, Terry biting me in the rear end is not going to kickstart business.")

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

I've been forcing people to watch every TNA Weekly PPV and we're up to the end of 2003 and I don't remember this at all. Maybe the Hot Shots were that team and it got lost in a memory of all of the other horrible poo poo they did.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Imagine if a Terry Funk rear end biter gimmick created a wrestling boom so great all other forms of entertainment were made obsolete

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I've been forcing people to watch every TNA Weekly PPV and we're up to the end of 2003 and I don't remember this at all. Maybe the Hot Shots were that team and it got lost in a memory of all of the other horrible poo poo they did.
I looked it up and the Hot Shots were, in fact, that team.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Croc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8H0DJRGNMs

wwe also had a team called the dicks although i think they were just meant to be chipendale rip offs.

Lance storm had a huge dick gimmick for a week when he was changing gimmicks also about every week.

Basically stuff like this is what your parents/friends who hate wrestling walk in on.

The actual titantron was... yea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoVJdPdJ9Gk

(couldn't find a vid of their tron that didn't have the american males theme in it, though)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Watching the latest OSW Review and WCW's wholesale ripping off of gimmicks is making my head spin. Not even halfway and so far it's the gimmicks ripped off are:

Mr. Perfect's
Rick Rude's
Lex Luger's
Ric Flair's

It seems that WCW was trying to establish this "passing the torch" motif, but it's just not working. At all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVbAQxhJThY

The episode is great, though! I had no idea that WCW was that bad (I'd stopped watching long before any of this). Actually, let me rephrase: I'd heard it was bad. I heard it was horrible. But good god.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

I've been forcing people to watch every TNA Weekly PPV

why

why would you do this to someone

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

why

why would you do this to someone

Seemed logical after showing late 95 and early 96 Nitros.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The WCW Heavyweight Championship belt changed hands 25 times in the year 2000? :psypop:

Edit: vvv Just got to that part. OSW is summarizing all the changes and I'm stupefied. I'd call it sabotage, but a person couldn't sabotage anything as thoroughly as what was done to WCW.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 24, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

The WCW Heavyweight Championship belt changed hands 25 times in the year 2000? :psypop:

Once as a gift.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Ghostpilot posted:

Wasn't there barely over 100 shows in that year? So it would change hands every two weeks?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Wasn't there barely over 100 shows in that year? So it would change hands every two weeks?

There were multiple instances of the title changing hands twice (or thrice) in the same night.

Edit: Oh nice, OSW conveniently made a list on-screen:

1. Jan 16th: Souled Out (Vacated).
2. Jan 16th: Souled Out (Chris Benoit).
3. Jan 17th: Nitro (Vacated).
4. Jan 24th: Nitro (Sid Vicious).
5. Jan 25th: Thunder (Vacated).
6. Jan 25th: Thunder (Kevin Nash).
7. Jan 25th: Thunder (Sid Vicious). Russo leaves WCW.

8. April 10th: Reboot Nitro (Vacated). Russo returns to WCW.
9. April 16th: Spring Stampede (Jeff Jarrett).
10. April 24th: Nitro (DDP).
11. April 25th: Thunder (David Arquette).

12. May 7th: Slamboree (Jeff Jarrett).
13. May 15th: Nitro (Ric Flair).
14. May 22nd: Nitro (Vacated).
15. May 22nd: Nitro (Jeff Jarrett).
16. May 23rd: Thunder (Kevin Nash).
17. May 29th: Nitro (Ric Flair).
18. May 29th: Nitro (Jeff Jarrett).

19. July 9th: Bash at the Beach (Booker T).

20. Aug 28th: Nitro (Kevin Nash).

21. Sept 17th: Fall Brawl (Booker T).
22. Sept 25th: Nitro (Vince Russo).

23. Oct 2nd: Nitro (Vacated).
24. Oct 2nd: Nitro (Booker T).

25. Nov 26th: Mayhem (Scott Steiner).

:psyboom:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 24, 2013

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Timby posted:

Wasn't there also something about him believing that having Terry Funk bite Vince's rear end would make Funk / Dreamer / Foley at One Night Stand into the hottest angle WWE had seen in years? (And then him pouting for 20 pages when Vince said, "No, actually, Terry biting me in the rear end is not going to kickstart business.")

Vince was right but I still want to see that happen someday.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mick going on and on about how brilliant it was to make Funk the centerpiece of the Attitude Era in 2005--when Funk could barely walk to the ring--was somehow not the stupidest part of the book.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mick going on and on about how brilliant it was to make Funk the centerpiece of the Attitude Era in 2005--when Funk could barely walk to the ring--was somehow not the stupidest part of the book.

On the other hand, he did admit that the mean-spirited carny dad in Tietam Brown was based on Raven.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

drat, now I want more Mick Foley's terrible ideas.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I actually don't think the Terry Funk rear end biting thing was a bad idea for an angle, but I agree that it never would've been the game changer Mick thought it would be.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wasn't Vince's justification for poo pooing it not the angle itself, but that Funk was too old and no one would know who he was?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

WeaponX posted:

drat, now I want more Mick Foley's terrible ideas.

Melina should be heavily involved in main-event storylines.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What exactly is a "gently caress-finish"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What exactly is a "gently caress-finish"?

Any finish that isn't a clean pin/submission/KO that's upheld.

So, interference in a normal match, ref shenanigans, overturned decisions would all be examples of gently caress finishes.

Notable examples: A Dusty Finish is a type of fuckfinish that Dusty Rhodes popularized where it looks like one dude won but then the decision is overturned, leaving ambiguity as to who won and continuing a storyline while "protecting" both parties (sort of)