Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Where am I

Hello, welcome to Oddworld! Oddworld is a series of games created by the video game company: Oddworld Inhabitants! The Oddworld games revolve around the battle between nature and industry, it has social commentary which wasn't really a thing a lot of video games did back in the late 90s. More importantly though, the oddworld games are fun, funny, and introduce the audience to unique settings and characters. There are four games so far in the series, three of them are in a planned "quintology" (to be honest I have no idea if that is still a thing OWI are still sticking with). A new n tasty game is in the works, it should be released sometime in 2014 (it is, in fact, a sort of re-imagining of the game being played in this thread!)

What is this

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee is the first game in the Oddworld series. It revolves around a wimpy, skinny looking alien man named Abe and his brethren. One night Abe was waxing floors when, gasp, things at his job are not as they seem! Abe's Oddysee is a 2D puzzle platformer along the veins of "Prince of Persia" and "Out of this World". There are no lives to worry about, but it's difficult to get through with your skin intact. Add the fact that you need to save your friends from getting eaten, and Abe's Oddysee becomes a notoriously difficult experience.

What are you doing

The ending of Oddworld is determined by how many of your friends you save. So I'm doing two separate runs: the Save All and the Kill All. Keep in mind that in Oddysee it's impossible to kill everyone without resorting to straight up no-clip style cheating, so hopefully what we can do will satisfy your disgusting bloodlust.

Where are the other games I like video game

This is not the first oddworld LP! Here are some other let's plays of other games (as well as this one) if you want to expand your mind and take in other perspectives.

Abe's Oddysee by TwoDayLife (that is also this game)
Abe's Exoddus by TwoDayLife
Munch's Oddysee by Metroixer (thats me)
Stranger's Wrath by Plavski

Give me the Vids

:angel: SAVE EM ALL :angel:

01: Hello
02: life lessons
03: Stockyard Stockings
04: check out my political Slog
05: Monsaic Lines
06: easy game
07: Lizard Spiders
08: Cheating
09: Fighting
10: Zap Em
11: welcome back
12: a wizard
13: the purple one
14: Finale

:devil: KILL EM ALL :devil:

k01: a criminal
k02: a child

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
(limited bonus content)

Bonus: Gameboy

This is Oddworld Adventures. Originally I was going to have a series of bonus videos, in which I was going to play through it and beat it. Much like the Kill All Run, this did not work out. It did not work out because I have had negative fun playing this game. No one has anything to say about Oddworld Adventures. The artbook that I get all my quotes and fun facts from doesn't mention the game once. This is what the oddworld wiki has:

quote:

Oddworld Adventures is a video game created in 1998 for the Game Boy by Oddworld Inhabitants, GT Interactive and Saffire. The game is a port of Abe's Oddysee, but due to the Game Boy's limitations, the game is much shorter and lacks some detail. Unlike Abe's Oddysee, the game begins from the wilderness, leaving the introductory RuptureFarms area absent from the game.

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, is there any explanation ever for the possession ability? It seems really random towards the other, somewhat mundane abilities you have.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, is there any explanation ever for the possession ability? It seems really random towards the other, somewhat mundane abilities you have.

The Mudokon species just have the ability innately; it's part of the reason why they have their mouths (partially) sewn shut.

I got this game with my family's new computer & never really got any length of time into it. Missing the chant button does that to you.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
You'll get a much better YouTube encode if you scale your video to 720 lines (so 960x720 for 4:3), if you're interested. The video is kind of muddy currently because of the art style.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, all the good PS1 games of my youth are getting LP'ed at the moment.

I vastly prefer the sequel, but I can't help watching anyone playing through these games.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I actually got this on Steam last month, I love this series for how bizarre and gloomy it was. Can't wait to see more of this dude, good first vid so far. :) I suck at these games but I really loved it so I'd love to see it played properly.

I didn't like how the game doesn't tell you about the Possession first thing, but then again it probabaly was in the manual. I knew I forgot something on that first screen when I bought that game. I loved that you said "LOOK OUT" to that other slig before shooting his guts out, I love this grimy era of PS1 games.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

oldskool posted:

The Mudokon species just have the ability innately; it's part of the reason why they have their mouths (partially) sewn shut.

I got this game with my family's new computer & never really got any length of time into it. Missing the chant button does that to you.

I thought their mouths were sewn together to prevent them from eating the products they help produce.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

FinalGamer posted:

I loved that you said "LOOK OUT" to that other slig before shooting his guts out, I love this grimy era of PS1 games.

It's actually not a bad idea in general - nearby Mudokons will duck if you shout "LOOK OUT", so they won't get hit.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I loved this game when it was first released, even though I never got all 99 Mudokons. It really is very difficult due to the lack of quicksave. Thank god the sequel fixed that though (as well as letting you talk to multiple Mudokons at once)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I always thought it was weird the PS1 game looked better than the one on the Xbox.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I love the Oddworld games. I've played this one, and Much' odyssee along with Strangers Wrath. All are really good games with an unique feel and atmosphere that you cant find in any other games. Going to follow this RP to relive my childhood memories! Also, now that they are remaking Abe's Odyssee for the next gen consoles, i REALLY hope they also get around to making a Stranger's wrath remake. That game was flipping awesome.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

GyverMac posted:

I love the Oddworld games. I've played this one, and Much' odyssee along with Strangers Wrath. All are really good games with an unique feel and atmosphere that you cant find in any other games. Going to follow this RP to relive my childhood memories! Also, now that they are remaking Abe's Odyssee for the next gen consoles, i REALLY hope they also get around to making a Stranger's wrath remake. That game was flipping awesome.

They already did a HD remake which had a lot of effort compared to a lot of HD remakes. Everything got sweet new models, voices and sound effects got redone and they added new difficultly modes. It's a pretty fun game.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Iretep posted:

I thought their mouths were sewn together to prevent them from eating the products they help produce.

:eng101: actually, abe is the only mudokon (I think) that has his lips stitched together! It's why his buddies call him stitch-lips in the later games. Apparently, when Abe was born, he couldn't stop crying. So the mudokon queen stitched him up in order to avoid getting in trouble.

quote:

I didn't like how the game doesn't tell you about the Possession first thing, but then again it probabaly was in the manual.

Yeah by the time the game explicitly tells you about possession most players have probably already figured it out. I don't know why the developers tutorialized things the way they did, cause the order they teach things in is weird.

quote:

Possession is pretty shoddy, gameplay wise, in oddworld. In the first game you can only possess sligs. In sequels you can suddenly possess things that weren't possessable in the first game. In the third game you couldn't even possess things until an old tree let you. As it is, it's just a power Abe has (and I think other mudokons? I dunno no one else ever does it.)

quote:

You'll get a much better YouTube encode if you scale your video to 720 lines (so 960x720 for 4:3), if you're interested. The video is kind of muddy currently because of the art style.

I re-uploaded the first video and have the rest set for these changes. I don't have a good eye for these things but if doing so has made the videos look better then that's cool.

With all that done, here's a new video!

02: Life Lessons

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Looking at Abe's Oddysee it was incredibly ahead of its time. Regenerating health, hudless UI and moral choices.

I can imagine that there are more fun ways to kill off the Mudokons than just leave them behind.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You can possess your own farts in the sequel, that there is why it will forever be awesome to me. :allears:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

My most favourite area of the game next video.

It's a weird series in that my most liked areas are always the first ones, and my least favourite is the final area in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how alternating between rolling and running while going long distances seems to be something everyone does.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Um, couldn't you have opened the portal in the TOP part of the secret area for that one Mudokon?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Um, couldn't you have opened the portal in the TOP part of the secret area for that one Mudokon?

It was a portal that took you back up. If I remember right those don't work on normal mudokens.

Fizzicist
Nov 14, 2009

I was just thinking of doing an LP of Exoddus, so I'm happy to see this. Such a great game, I look forward to reliving it!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Got a bundle of all four Oddworld games awhile ago during a sale or something.

Still haven't beaten them. I am very bad at this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure I've played an Oddworld game before, but I don't think it was this one. It was on the Playstation, so probably Abe's Exoddus. I'll have to look into that.

It also reminds me of Skullmonkeys, not necessarily because they're similar but because I played them around the same time. Ahhh, nostalgia. Looking forward to this.

PilotEvan
Jun 27, 2008

WHAT?
Played this game quite a bit when I was younger - loved the dark yet humorous atmosphere and the action/puzzler gameplay, even if was bullshit hard at parts. I'll be following as long as you show all your failed grenade throws at some point cause I've hosed those up in more ways than I could ever think possible.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Blue Ghost posted:

Looking at Abe's Oddysee it was incredibly ahead of its time. Regenerating health, hudless UI and moral choices.

I'm not sure if I would call "dying in one hit" regenerating but I agree on the other stuff!

quote:

I love how alternating between rolling and running while going long distances seems to be something everyone does.

What, you think you can be employee of the year by just running around everywhere?

quote:

Unfortunately I forgot to mention how there are two different types of portals. After the stockyards there will basically be another mini-tutorial area that will cover some stuff I missed. It's awkward considering a lot of this stuff is not supposed to be stuff a first time player would know about until that area.

quote:

I'll be following as long as you show all your failed grenade throws at some point cause I've hosed those up in more ways than I could ever think possible.

You won't be disappointed I'll tell you that much

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday, here is an appropriate picture to go along with the new video. Those of you waiting for Abe to be an f'd up and twisted killer, do not worry, you will not have to wait for much longer.

03: Stockyard Stockings

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 28, 2013

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

There will be dogs. Lots of dogs.

Sort of. :getin:

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Metroixer posted:

I'm not sure if I would call "dying in one hit" regenerating but I agree on the other stuff!

I was thinking of the enemies later on that make Abe constantly gasp in pain until he dies or gets away from them. I assume they're damaging him when he gasps.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Metroixer posted:

Bees. Also Fleeches. Oh and Slig beatings.

I think the saddest part is that whole philosophy was thrown away for Munch's.

Edit: To get that by that slig in second(?) secret area, you can just sneak behind him as he goes to the next screen, then make a run-jump for the ledge, then hang from it until he goes way.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 28, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Abe's Oddysee was one of the first Playstation games I played, was so glad to find it in my uncle's collection way back. I loved screwing around with killing Mudokons. Agreed that the Stockyards had the hardest hidden areas. The little touches like being able to chat with Sligs made this game great, along with the atmosphere and amazing backgrounds and designs. Pre-rendered backgrounds was the best thing about PS1 games, along with the atmosphere the Oddworld series had.

Also, isn't it possible to get multiple Mudokons at once by saying "Hello" more than once after a few seconds?

The tense music spiking over and over again might kill its intent, but I found it amusing in a way. Like a short-tempered atmosphere.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This is a good LP.

Are you running this on an emulator or something though? That graphical bug on the fire at 4:09 is something I've never seen before and I'm guessing it doesn't always look that way on the PSX version.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

This is a good LP.

Are you running this on an emulator or something though? That graphical bug on the fire at 4:09 is something I've never seen before and I'm guessing it doesn't always look that way on the PSX version.

I haven't played it in a while, but I seem to remember seeing that when I last played the game on my PS3, so maybe it is just a bug in emulation. At least it's pretty minor.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

TwoDayLife posted:

Bees. Also Fleeches. Oh and Slig beatings.

I completely forgot about bees. I considered fleeches but was only thinking of Oddysee. Beatings count even if they never happen to Abe, yeah.

quote:

For what it's worth, I've seen the weird square show up around the fire in the PC version too.

I have two videos for you tonight:

:angel: 04: check out my political Slog :angel:

:devil: k01: a criminal :devil:

have a happy new year!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Ooh updates! Happy new year!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I love the song that also played in the menu, known as "Free-Fire Zone". Also holy gently caress those Scrags are terrifying when they jump :stare: I dunno most of these secrets and I only got as far as halfway through the game. Can't wait to see how you solve that poo poo.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey this LP rules and is really chill. I'm enjoying it a ton since I really sucked at this game when I was a kid but appreciated the art style a ton. It definitely oozes psx era charm.

Man that console ruled.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Love this game, one of the first we owned on the Play Station. I'm getting dizzy with nostalgia just looking at it. I never could find all of those 28 Mudokens.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I like others tried to play this when I was young and found it inscrutable. It's much easier to enjoy the atmosphere now that I'm not chucking my controller in frustration. So I'm really enjoying this, looking forward to more. Your skill at this game is extremely well complemented by your professional presentation.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I remember either my older sister or my stepmom getting this game for her birthday back when it came out, and none of us could beat it (I was especially horrible and kept dying in the first few rooms). I think the furthest any of us got to was when my older sister got to one of the temples, and she took a wrong path or something that locked her out from completing it. Like there were two tunnels and you were supposed to go through one of them first, and she went through the other one instead. I could be wrong since it's been 10+ years since my sister has played it.

I'm still amazed on how well this game has aged, especially the backgrounds. :allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I didn't even know this was a Playstation game, I had it on the PC. I never could get anywhere with it because I was a really dumb kid but I remember being fascinated by the setting, and I'm still sad to this day that the Hand of Odd never got made. :(

edit: wait, according to Wikipedia they actually are making it?? holy poo poo

I read about that freaking game in PC Gamer or something years and years ago and could just never get over how amazing it sounded...of course I'm sure it's changed quite a bit, it sounds less sandboxy now than I remember it being described and the sensible thing is try to remain only cautiously optimistic and all that, but gently caress it, I'm all :neckbeard: inside and can't stop.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

quote:

Your skill at this game is extremely well complemented by your professional presentation.

Oh no...expectations....

quote:

I didn't even know this was a Playstation game, I had it on the PC. I never could get anywhere with it because I was a really dumb kid but I remember being fascinated by the setting, and I'm still sad to this day that the Hand of Odd never got made.

edit: wait, according to Wikipedia they actually are making it?? holy poo poo

Not to be rude, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Not only does JAW have a bad habit of working on like a million things at once, but last I heard Hand of Odd might turn out to be a browser game of some sort. It's always going to be one of those unreachable things for me (just like Sligstorm :( )

School has started back up, and I thank you for being patient about updates. Here is a video. If you watched my Munch LP, you'll know I have the oddworld artbook. This artbook gives some neat flavor text about locations, it's time to break it out again.

05: Monsaic Lines

quote:

The Monsaic Lines are the unpspoiled wilderlands of Mudos. The ancient Mudokon adorned their holy wilderness with rock art to tell the story of their people. Initiates of Mudokon cult and secret societies wandered the Monsaic lines to disocver their own souls and to learn the history of their culture. This sacred region is bereft of extensive population or powerful structures. Sligs rarely tread here. While the rock art covered structures are ancient, they have been carefully maintained by Native Mudokon and various holy personages (such as the mudokon Shaman). The superstructure consist of a huge root system that supports the land masses. There is a large reservoir under Monsaic Hidden which accounts for the moss-covered stone and wood. Deep within the caverns is a holy chamber known as the Monsaic Sanctum. It's where freed Mudokons are safe-housed. They are brought here to regain their spiritualism and get in touch with nature. Mudokons can be seen chanting and meditating in peace similar to Buddhist monks.

• Locked thread