Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

Finally finished wrapping my s2000 in a giant sticker:

gently caress this is good. What are those wheels. They are also of the "good" type.

I also see an aftermarket seat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Yeah that's a mighty fine lookin' s2000. Good job!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pivit posted:

drat, that looks great.

What is that thing behind it? Art?

Looks like a boiler of some sort.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chinatown posted:

gently caress this is good. What are those wheels. They are also of the "good" type.

I also see an aftermarket seat?
Thanks!

They're WedsSport TC105N's in 17x9 +35 with 245/40's all around. The seat is a Recaro Pole Position in red mesh/alcantara.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love that color on cars. It looks almost like that light grey color bentley used on the Continental SS.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ouhei posted:

Thanks!

They're WedsSport TC105N's in 17x9 +35 with 245/40's all around. The seat is a Recaro Pole Position in red mesh/alcantara.

What coils did you end up switching to? I wish I could get away with going that low around here too :(

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

afen posted:

There's not much to say about it. I mostly just do regular maintenance and clean it, the manifold/turbo/ic job is the most work I've ever done to the car. The snow picture is from last year. There's no snow now and my right foot is twitching :(

No, that car NEEDS a thread :negative: Literally best car ever.

This explains my feelings well:

Das Volk posted:

Basically everyone in this forum who didn't get these in their country and probably quite a few more who did have a massive, raging hard-on for this car. Including me.

Crustashio posted:

Dude.

It's a loving RS2.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 23, 2013

Speedibus-Rex
Nov 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I wish.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Ouhei posted:

I'm not entirely sure what that thing is, it's in front of an old mill they've converted to offices near my condo, I think it's either made of old railway stuff or something that was in the mill?

Darchangel posted:

Looks like a boiler of some sort.

Ahh, yup. That is apparently a yarrow boiler of some sort.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
*cough* Hi.

Currently building a high compression E85 1974 Rocket 350 to replace the gutless, worn out slow piece of poo poo 307. Also going to box the frame, rebuild the steering, convert it to a five speed manual, and replace the GM 7.5 2.14 open diff'd rear end with a Ford 9 inch 3.53 LSD one when I pull the engine. Might as well get it all done at once, y'know? Possibly also slap on one of FAST's EZ-EFI throttle body fuel injection systems so I can get something more in the range of gas mileage instead of gas footage.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

May I live vicariously through you, G-Body brethren? What year is this (I can't see the grill :v:).

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
In the spirit of winter here is my old $300 Sentra.

It finally died after I took a jump on the ice at about 40mph and both rear shock towers completely collapsed.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2013

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

West SAAB Story posted:

May I live vicariously through you, G-Body brethren? What year is this (I can't see the grill :v:).

It's an '85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham, so it came with the hideous eggcrate grills. I acquired a set of aftermarket '86 blade style grills which, aside from their refusal to line up quite right, look a hell of a lot better. Mostly I just need to space out the spring plate from the lovely plastic posts it bolts to, but those are getting kind of disintegrate-y so it'll have to wait until I can glue in some helicoils.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IronCastKnight posted:

It's an '85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham

If I didn't know better, I'd say you got my car, but I had the white top and deep blue combo. My 307Y poo poo itself around the 60k mark and it was cheaper to replace than repair. Then I ended up with a $400 '84 Cutlass with the Buick 231, and absolutely no options. At least the seats were comfortable, because I sure wasn't going anywhere fast. :suicide:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IronCastKnight posted:

*cough* Hi.

Currently building a high compression E85 1974 Rocket 350 to replace the gutless, worn out slow piece of poo poo 307. Also going to box the frame, rebuild the steering, convert it to a five speed manual, and replace the GM 7.5 2.14 open diff'd rear end with a Ford 9 inch 3.53 LSD one when I pull the engine. Might as well get it all done at once, y'know? Possibly also slap on one of FAST's EZ-EFI throttle body fuel injection systems so I can get something more in the range of gas mileage instead of gas footage.

I approve this project.

IronCastKnight posted:

It's an '85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham, so it came with the hideous eggcrate grills. I acquired a set of aftermarket '86 blade style grills which, aside from their refusal to line up quite right, look a hell of a lot better. Mostly I just need to space out the spring plate from the lovely plastic posts it bolts to, but those are getting kind of disintegrate-y so it'll have to wait until I can glue in some helicoils.

Yeah, those look way better than the egg-crate, for sure.

West SAAB Story posted:

If I didn't know better, I'd say you got my car, but I had the white top and deep blue combo. My 307Y poo poo itself around the 60k mark and it was cheaper to replace than repair. Then I ended up with a $400 '84 Cutlass with the Buick 231, and absolutely no options. At least the seats were comfortable, because I sure wasn't going anywhere fast. :suicide:

I feel your pain. I had an '81 Regal with the 231, e-carbureted. "Not fast" about sums it up. It got a little quicker when I swapped the 2.16? rear for the 2.73 (or was it 3.23) rear from a Chevy Maibu wagon. Big difference. Still not fast, but it could get out of its own way.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I'm just keen on restomodding my Cutlass into something more resembling its muscle car predecessors instead of the posh-rear end granny churchmobile it started off as, especially with the foul likes of the GNX taunting me with their high performance awesomeness. Plus, I learned to drive in a small, agile, and quick rebadged Korean car[fuckin' '04 Aveo], so the stock big fat wallowing road pig behavior really got up my rear end something fierce. Ideally, I'd like a 0-60 time of something less than four minutes.

I'm still contemplating whether I should go full-sleeper or replace the hood with one of VFN's 442-esque dual-scoop fiberglass hoods.

I do confess, with as much as I've spent on the engine and assorted other parts so far, sometimes I kind of wish I had bought an RX-8 or a good condition RX-7 FC instead, because I'm also madly in love with rotaries. I tend to drown these feelings by buying more parts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IronCastKnight posted:

Plus, I learned to drive in a small, agile, and quick rebadged Korean car[fuckin' '04 Aveo], so the stock big fat wallowing road pig behavior really got up my rear end something fierce.

Jesus, if an Aveo is your benchmark for handling responsiveness I need to pick up an AED and take you for a ride in a Miata sometime.

How toast is your stock suspension? So many handling illnesses (even of 80s grandma land barges) can be cleaned up with new parts (especially bushings and dampers) which will reduce the amount of "noise" you're receiving when trying to figure out what to upgrade first. I wouldn't be surprised if fresh bushings (whether OEM or aftermarket), shock absorbers and a swaybar upgrade is all you need to make it feel zippy rather than doing major frame mods to get the same feeling (though subframe connectors really help out Fox bodies so I wouldn't be surprised if they're also a good thing in other 80s coupes). Car looks gorgeous.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 25, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IronCastKnight posted:

I'm still contemplating whether I should go full-sleeper or replace the hood with one of VFN's 442-esque dual-scoop fiberglass hoods.

Dear god, you ARE me - circa 21. Let me guess, your dream 442 is a '70 W30? v:v:v

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I know right? The bar is that low and the Cutlass still drunkenly sprawls over it to lie face down, crying, in a puddle of its own vomit.

Considering the car had 167k miles on rough small town Oklahoma roads with the cheapest, shittiest shocks the previous owners could buy, I'm not entirely sure there's much all of the stock suspension left. That's why I'm going to rebuild the suspension when I take the engine out, replacing pretty much every last bushing and damper, putting in a new UMI anti-sway bar, and some new UMI tubular A arms(bit overkill, but gently caress it I'd rather have something better than what I need than something worse). Probably also going to swap out all the steering bits with Hotchkis parts. Fortunately I'm young, single, and employed, so I can afford throwing all this expensive poo poo at my car.

From what I've read the G-body is a twisty, flexible little thing, so I've been looking into frame braces as well. I'm still up in the air about boxing the frame anyways, on account of steel not being especially cheap anymore. Still, my dad's a good welder, so at least I wouldn't be paying for that service, and I was going to take the frame off to install new body bushings, so y'know... while it's there and convenient.

Sadly, the body is pretty much the only thing in good condition about the car. Few small dents and dings, one bit of the lower front driver's side quarter panel is a bit bent where it seems the previous owner ran over a bigass stick of some kind, but nothing all that bad. Also very, very little rust, which is always nice.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

West SAAB Story posted:

Dear god, you ARE me - circa 21. Let me guess, your dream 442 is a '70 W30? v:v:v

HOW DID YOU KNOW?! Damnable mind reader! Of course, I'm 28 instead of 21, but close enough.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IronCastKnight posted:

HOW DID YOU KNOW?! Damnable mind reader! Of course, I'm 28 instead of 21, but close enough.

That is my favorite 442, as well. :kimchi:

Keep away from SAABs. I don't think AI could handle a second Viggen.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Ouhei posted:

Thanks!

What brand of wrap did you use?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ouhei posted:

Thanks!

How much camber do you need up front for clearance? I'm considering running 255/40/17 all around for next season with -1.5 up front but I'm a bit concerned about rubbing.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Judging by the tire to fender clearance I'm going to guess there's going to be a lot of rubbing on his setup when doing "performance driving".

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
My car ownership follows a clearly defined and utterly predictable pattern. I alternate between stupid but fun fast cars and then utterly reliable, but dull and boring cars. My last car was an utterly reliable Honda Accord - it never let me down, but by god it was draining the very life from my veins every time I drove it.

The only logical thing to do was buy a Jaguar XKR with a 4 litre Supercharged V8

It's got 4(ish) seats! That's almost practical! Yes, some would point out that you need to be a very small child or a double amputee to sit in the back but that's not the point.

It's not as shiny as it could be, but it's blowing a gale here and I just finished fitting a clear indicator and reflector kit and some stainless steel instrument rings and gear surround courtesy of Santa. The polish and shine will have to wait for better weather.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Oh that veneer, so goddamn nice. Very jealous! How is the (un)reliability?

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank

Voltage posted:

Oh that veneer, so goddamn nice. Very jealous! How is the (un)reliability?

So far, so good! Might be a different answer in a few months though. It had been sat for a very long time when I bought it so I've been doing odd bits and pieces - reglued the headliner, new battery and de-misting headlights etc. I bloody love it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
From what I have been hearing, the newer Jags (Ford ownership) are quite reliable compared to the olden days. The AJ-V8 has the timing chain issue (which only plagues certain models) but other than that they are pretty good.

Report back soon, I am after an XK8 myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

From what I have been hearing, the newer Jags (Ford ownership) are quite reliable compared to the olden days. The AJ-V8 has the timing chain issue (which only plagues certain models) but other than that they are pretty good.

Report back soon, I am after an XK8 myself.

And a cropping up issue of leaking pulse dampers on the $1400 fuel rail that is no longer available. Although this seems to be more prevalent in the US and the suspicion is ethanol fuel/incorrect seals to deal with it from the factory.

I'm currently in need of one of those rails for a friend who's XK8 vert is sitting in a garage torn apart.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

Judging by the tire to fender clearance I'm going to guess there's going to be a lot of rubbing on his setup when doing "performance driving".

Yea, I'm more concerned about the fender lip. These cars roll quite a bit stock. This is the fronts on 225s with ~-.8camber.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

And a cropping up issue of leaking pulse dampers on the $1400 fuel rail that is no longer available. Although this seems to be more prevalent in the US and the suspicion is ethanol fuel/incorrect seals to deal with it from the factory.

I'm currently in need of one of those rails for a friend who's XK8 vert is sitting in a garage torn apart.

Can you not by pass it? I would not doubt our fuel would screw something up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Can you not by pass it? I would not doubt our fuel would screw something up.

There are two, one on each side of the rail mounted on cups and clamped/retained on the rail in a "permanent" fashion.

Someone on jagforums has removed them, machined caps, and silver soldered them on and all is apparently well. I would think cutting the cups off and tig welding it shut would be a better plan, but I'd prefer to do that on ANOTHER rail in case something goes sideways.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Is there any better 442 than a '70 W30? (Full disclosure, I own a wannabe '70 Cutlass S)

Motronic posted:

There are two, one on each side of the rail mounted on cups and clamped/retained on the rail in a "permanent" fashion.

Someone on jagforums has removed them, machined caps, and silver soldered them on and all is apparently well. I would think cutting the cups off and tig welding it shut would be a better plan, but I'd prefer to do that on ANOTHER rail in case something goes sideways.

Well, that's a stupid design. Let's permanently mount a fail-able part to one that pretty much never fails. And then discontinue the whole thing. At least the pulsation dampers that like to leak and burn down FC RX-7s are replaceable/removable.

Yeah, saw that thing off and weld up the hole.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Muffinpox posted:

Yea, I'm more concerned about the fender lip. These cars roll quite a bit stock. This is the fronts on 225s with ~-.8camber.

There's two schools of thought on this, run a tire/wheel combo that has good clearance on full compression (for tire deflection), or the autocross method which is to raise the car, jack up the spring rates, and run as wide tires (285+) as you can get (which is not good for me).

I only run 235s on my Eclipse when every dude is dying to run 255s and I still rub sometimes with rolled fenders. No inner rubbing though.

I'm not sure on S2000s widths off the top of my head but I've seen road course S2000s only run 245 width Yokos (which usually run wide) with over fenders front and rear. I think if you ran a higher offset you could run maybe a 255 rear depending on clearance but tire compound matters way more than an extra theoretical 10mm of width.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

exempt posted:

If I self a new Raptor that ends up overseas I could lose my job and our dealer will never get another. Ford hates that these make it elsewhere.

I am waay late to this since I don't check this thread often, but the reason for this is that the US gets the cheapest cars in the world, and carmakers want to protect their profits in the rest of the world keep all their American market vehicles in the country to keep prices low for hard working 'murrican consumers only :911:. So they aggressively go after anyone involved in exporting US market cars to other countries.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130701/RETAIL07/307019970/export-scammers-gain-is-dealers-pain#axzz2XnEiHvLq

quote:

Automotive News
July 1, 2013 - 12:01 am ET
First it was a $70,000 Mercedes-Benz GL350. Then another one, followed by a BMW X6 and a Porsche Cayenne. All were paid for in cash.

Jane Goss, the town clerk and tax collector in tiny Sanbornton, N.H., realized something was fishy after a local man started coming into her office every few weeks to register high-end SUVs.

"I knew that he didn't have the means to pay for these cars fully," said Goss, who also noticed that the man never drove any of the vehicles to her office. "I don't know of anybody in Sanbornton who can do that. By the fifth one, I said, 'No, I can't register this car.'"

Federal authorities say the man unwittingly had become part of a scheme that illegally exported thousands of luxury vehicles to China. In what has become a burgeoning black-market industry, exporters typically hire straw buyers in the United States and send vehicles overseas by claiming them as used on customs declarations. The buyers often never see the vehicles they claim to be purchasing for personal use.

High prices and heavy demand for luxury cars and SUVs in China, caused in part by 25 percent tariffs on imported new vehicles, mean scammers can often sell the vehicles for at least double what they would get in the United States. A new BMW X6 costs more than 1 million yuan in China, or about $171,500, compared with a U.S. starting price of $60,725; the Porsche Cayenne has a base price of 922,000 yuan, or about $148,750, in China, and $50,575 at U.S. dealerships.

Even after factoring in considerable shipping costs and other expenses, the exporters can make a huge profit on each vehicle by undercutting legitimate dealerships in China.

The schemes can cause big financial problems for U.S. dealerships, which are contractually prohibited from selling new vehicles to anyone who intends to export them and can be penalized by the automakers for doing so -- even if they do so unwittingly.

Dealerships that sell to exporters may be forced to pay charge-backs, have incentives revoked and receive fewer vehicles from the factory in the future. Widespread fraudulent registrations also hurt dealerships that do not sell to exporters because such registrations understate the dealerships' actual market shares, making it appear they are falling short of sales targets. That can affect bonuses paid by automakers as well as future allocations.

First prosecution

New Hampshire has been at the center of several large export schemes because it is the only state with neither a sales tax nor a requirement that vehicle owners carry insurance. Exporters maximize their profits by having vehicles titled there, even though many of the vehicles are bought elsewhere and never enter the state.

John Kacavas, the U.S. attorney for New Hampshire, recently announced that two California men pleaded guilty to federal mail fraud charges and violations of U.S. customs laws, in what officials say was the first successful prosecution of a major vehicle-exporting operation. The defendants admitted to scheming to export 93 vehicles worth more than $5.5 million that they and others bought in 16 states.

Authorities seized 14 of the vehicles at California's Port of Long Beach and began forfeiture proceedings. The men, Frank Ku, 31, and Danny Hsu, 33, were fined $5,000 and sentenced to three years probation in May.

"This is a first of its kind prosecution, and I hope it will not be the last," Kacavas told Automotive News, while declining to discuss investigations into any other operations. "These rings are far reaching. Some are operating on a scale much grander than Ku and Hsu."

In the case, Kacavas said his office was more focused on trying to recover as many vehicles as possible and deterring additional exporting than sending Ku and Hsu to prison.

Court documents say Ku and Hsu found straw buyers by looking on Craigslist for ads posted by people who appeared to need money. Those buyers, who received "a few hundred dollars" for each vehicle they purchased, were not charged.

"Some of them were sort of hapless victims as far as we were concerned and not worthy of federal prosecution," Kacavas said. "They made very little money from doing this."

But for the exporters, he said, "it's very lucrative."

Ku and Hsu, who ran a company called CFLA, paid New Hampshire residents to use their addresses so they and other employees could falsely obtain local driver's licenses. Court documents show they made some of the purchases themselves, in addition to using straw buyers, and in some cases they had an employee fly from California to pose as a straw buyer's fiancee and handle all of the payment and paperwork.

Export scam
How the vehicle exporting scheme run by Frank Ku and Danny Hsu from October 2009 through March 2012 worked
• Ku and Hsu used Craigslist to find straw buyers and people who would let them use local addresses to obtain fake driver's licenses.
• They or the straw buyers purchased high-end vehicles with checks from a local bank account. Straw buyers would earn several hundred dollars for each transaction.
• They applied for titles in New Hampshire, New Jersey and other states, claiming that each vehicle was for personal use and posing as the straw buyers when the Department of Motor Vehicles questioned the applications.
• Vehicles were shipped to the Port of Long Beach in California.
• After their titles were issued and forwarded to California, the vehicles were shipped overseas with export declarations that categorized them as used.
• When the vehicles got to China, Ku and Hsu delivered the vehicles to buyers who had ordered them in advance, often for more than double the U.S. price.
• They successfully exported 79 vehicles, and 14 more were seized in Long Beach. The average value of each vehicle was about $53,000.
Source: Court filings

Troopers issued warning

Goss, the clerk in Sanbornton, a town of about 3,000 people in the center of the state, said she had attended a class in which state troopers warned clerks to be on the lookout for suspicious registrations of high-end vehicles. The man she confronted started showing up about a year later, in late 2010.

When questioned by the town's police chief, Stephen Hankard, the buyer readily acknowledged buying the SUVs for someone else and seemed unaware that he might be part of an illegitimate operation.

"He answered a Craigslist ad, and I think he honestly believed that what he was doing was legal," Hankard said. "He seemed pretty confident in what he was saying."

After alerting Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials in March 2011, Hankard said, "police chiefs from all over the place started calling me" because their clerks had noticed unusual vehicle purchases as well.

The Sanbornton buyer has not been charged with a crime. Information he gave customs agents helped lead Kacavas in May to charge a Chinese national, Hong Chen, who runs several businesses based in Maryland and Virginia, with mail fraud and misuse of export declarations.

Chen and his businesses are accused of illegally exporting nearly 3,000 vehicles worth more than $157 million -- an average of about $53,000 each -- from February 2008 through March 2013. About 40 vehicles being prepared for export were seized at the Port of Newark in New Jersey in April, documents show.

Chen was arrested in May, and a judge recently agreed to delay his trial until later this summer to allow for negotiations between prosecutors and his lawyer, who did not return a call seeking comment.

Dealerships harmed

Detective Sgt. Andrew Player of the New Hampshire State Police said his agency has become more active in rooting out illegal vehicle exports, and legislators have discussed ways to make such crimes harder to pull off.

"It's been going on for a while," Player said. "We began to receive complaints from the automotive dealers themselves. They were concerned about what was going on and getting charge-backs."

U.S. Customs regulations only allow new vehicles to be exported by their manufacturer, and still consider vehicles to be new if bought for resale purposes.

According to a deposition by the customs agent who investigated the Chen case, Mercedes-Benz USA has a policy allowing the company to impose the following penalties if it discovers that a vehicle was exported less than a year after being sold as new: "an administrative expense equal to 8.5 percent" of the suggested retail price, "any market support funds or special program discounts paid by MBUSA for that vehicle will be charged back" and "the dealership will lose one like-model unit on the next decade allocation."

Paul Holloway, whose Holloway Automotive Group has two Mercedes-Benz stores and other dealerships in New Hampshire, said at an April news conference with Kacavas that his company had sustained losses "in the six figures" as a result of export schemes. "This is just a fraction of what's going on," Holloway's partner, David Cushman, told the New Hampshire Union Leader newspaper.

Court documents in the Chen case say a 2010 Mercedes GL350 BlueTEC was bought in October 2010 from Holloway Motor Cars of Manchester and shipped to China about a month later. They show that only one of the four SUVs and crossovers registered in Sanbornton was bought in New Hampshire, with the others coming from Mercedes-Benz dealerships near Boston and a Porsche dealership outside Syracuse, N.Y., more than 300 miles away.

The X6 was bought at a BMW dealership -- directly across the street from a police station -- that officials said also fell victim to Ku and Hsu's scheme.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130701/RETAIL07/307019970/export-scammers-gain-is-dealers-pain#ixzz2ohDeje4a
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

I'm not entirely clear on the laws here but it does appear to me that the export of vehicles out of the US by anyone other than the OEMs is in fact illegal, and those guys were caught through a sting operation by the feds.

I live in China right now. There's a Raptor and a (San Antonio) Tundra parked 2 houses down from me. :geno:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 27, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Waa waa, trade barriers kill us poor multi-billion dollar companies, free unregulated markets are best (when it benefits us, gently caress you consumer)!

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006
Finally made it over to Mt. Fuji last weekend. These are from my cellphone and didn't turn out too well given the lighting. Will see if I can work up the energy to get the other photos off my camera and clean them up a bit. It was definitely a fun drive, as the roads were actually pretty clear of traffic for once!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Winter mode activated and its cold outside.

It's truly hilarious watching peoples' faces when I take off from stoplights or fly through a turn at twice the speed of plebs with all-seasons. We had 8"+ of snow last week and it went through everything like a champ.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Not enough tiny European hatchbacks ITT :colbert:

My 1998 1.2 Renault Clio II - Bought running (after being sat up for about 2 years), new brakes all round, new cam-belt, full service, handbrake re-secured (ripped out of the floor while being taken off of the tow-truck :v: ), and fixed all the standard Renault rain leaks... All for less than £220.

It barely hits 70 flat out, can be stopped dead by strong gusts of wind but it handles like a go-cart, is about as wide as a pencil and only costs me £30 petrol money a month. :)

ALSO, here we have a car that will become mine soon.

It's my old man's 1969 Hillman imp super and I want it SO BAD. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

ALSO, here we have a car that will become mine soon.

It's my old man's 1969 Hillman imp super and I want it SO BAD. :allears:

Just what are you saying? :eyepop: :suspense: