Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Love the topic title. Might like "the eight-year old's daughter is a much safer option." as second choice, if it wasn't so long.

Okay, so I've played PoR, RD, and finished up Awakening. I just started my first lunatic run for FE:A. Um.... how do I NOT die? Like, without the whole 'water fall' exploit. But I'm fully comfortable with going 'Frederick Emblem' on this bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So as Cake Attack mentioned, there is a goon-developed FE Romhack in the works and-- Okay guys, you can stop laughing now. Guys? Guys?

Okay for real, if you've been watching LP at all over the past 6 months or so, you might have noticed a thread on FE romhacks. Some of them were good, most of them were bad, but the reaction was almost always the same - abject horror "We can totally do better than this." But this would be a pretty boring post if we didn't put our money where our mouths were, wouldn't it? Enter Awful Emblem.

What began as a small curiousity eight months ago has now blossomed into something that's starting to look like a respectable project. This is more or less a total conversion of FE7, with completely new maps, characters, storylines, and maybe even some music if we ever get around to it. Our goal is to make a game that pretty much anyone can complete (so no ridiculously difficult bullshit), while changing up some of the basics to give FE veterans something to look forward to as well.

While we mostly do any serious development in our Skype group, we do have an IRC where you can hang out with us. It's kinda quiet during the day, but we do use it when we're discussing characters, numbers, or just bullshitting around.

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #awfulemblem

The plot centers around a young woman named Judith, head of the local militia. As the story begins, she heads to the local lord to petition for aid due to recent bandit attacks, only to get wrapped up in an assassination attempt and things escalate from there. We have a 29 chapter game planned, with 5 gaidens (2 are on route splits, so you'll only see 4 in one playthrough). It's an ambitious title, to be sure, but our team is up to the challenge.

The actual gameplay isn't going to be changed up a whole lot. We've got a few custom classes (Halberdiers, FE8 Druids, etc), as well as a couple surprises in store, but this is mostly going to be the FE7 you all know and love. If you're worried about it being too difficult, fear not. Our team ranges from playing FE10 Hard Mode for fun to losing a map because they let an enemy run right up to an unguarded throne, so rest assured that someone on the dev team probably matches your skill level. In addition, we frequently put out playtesting builds to make sure that we're keeping things reasonable.

And then there's hard mode. It's getting my...personal touch. :unsmigghh:

The Team
  • FPzero, in addition to being the second project leader with myself, is our main hacker. He dabbles a bit in everything, but he's the one actually putting chapters together, by placing enemies and setting up the events.
  • Not to be outdone, Blastinus is our main map guy on paper, but he's a jack of all trades for the project, helping out with coding, mapmaking, and even some of the writing.
  • Tyty is our portrait artist, so blame the excessive anime on him.
  • Ryushikaze is our animator, and the one you can thank for that wonderful Judith animation.
  • Shiny777 and LuigiMarioKOG (I don't actually know his forums name, sorry if that's not it!) are penning the actual plot, and all that it entails.
  • ddinkins112 is the man behind our supports.
  • PoorlyWrittenNovel codes the writing so we can actually insert it into the rom.
  • SCBracer is our fantastic editor.
  • And last but not least, I tend to find myself doing the odd jobs here and there, but my role can basically be summed up as PR, HR, and the occasional designer.
We also have some special thanks for Onmi as a creative consultant of sorts and an unofficial part of the team, and CanofWorms to whom we are forever indebted to for all of his help and various ASM wizardry.

There's no patch...yet. We don't want to put anything out until we're satisfied with our progress, so we're planning on a first release once we finish up Act 1 (which goes up through Chapter 9, we're currently putting the finishing touches on Chapter 6). If you can't wait, you can always pop in the IRC and take on a playtesting build or something.

Artix fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 25, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

CowboyAndy posted:

Love the topic title. Might like "the eight-year old's daughter is a much safer option." as second choice, if it wasn't so long.

Okay, so I've played PoR, RD, and finished up Awakening. I just started my first lunatic run for FE:A. Um.... how do I NOT die? Like, without the whole 'water fall' exploit. But I'm fully comfortable with going 'Frederick Emblem' on this bitch.

Go Frederick Emblem. And then Robin and Chrom Pair Up Emblem. Lunatic is sadly not very funny if you want to deviate from that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wind God Sety posted:

Sounds about right for Soren. He's one of the most glass cannon mages I can think of in the series.

It's just the first time I have ever seen such a skew between stats being great and horrible in any unit that isn't a Knight/General.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Go Frederick Emblem. And then Robin and Chrom Pair Up Emblem. Lunatic is sadly not very funny if you want to deviate from that.

Huh. I think I'll stick with 'Play Hardcore and Have Fun' Emblem. :)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Lyn always turns out decent-to-amazing, for me. Hector too. (No one cares about Eliwood.)

I think Micaiah is the swingiest "Lord" for me. She'll either turn into an unkillable goddess of death or I will have to restart the Black Knight in the darkness chapter about 25 times waiting for the RNG to let her somehow survive it. I never know which one I'm going to get.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

So it's not very fun then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You don't play the highest difficulties for fun.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mistaya posted:

Lyn always turns out decent-to-amazing, for me. Hector too. (No one cares about Eliwood.)

I think Micaiah is the swingiest "Lord" for me. She'll either turn into an unkillable goddess of death or I will have to restart the Black Knight in the darkness chapter about 25 times waiting for the RNG to let her somehow survive it. I never know which one I'm going to get.

How in the... UNEQUIP THE BLACK KNIGHT! THE AI WILL ALWAYS PRIORITIZE SOMETHING THAT CAN'T COUNTER! It's the most trivial map in the world.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure the AI will go for a kill over attacking someone who can't counter and Micaiah can pretty easily be ORKOed by enemies there. I've never tried it though.

mistaya posted:

Micaiah never has to take a hit in that chapter unless you are going for a low turn strategy. I've found that Micaiah is pretty RNG proof because all she really needs to be useful is Magic for Thani-bombing and Staff-botting and Resistance for surviving attacks from the final boss and those are 80% and 90% growths respectively.

Unrelated but Hector is the worst Lord in FE7 because he's too drat big to be Rescued by almost every mounted unit after he promotes and only has 5 movement. I'm pretty sure the only promoted units that can Rescue him are Rath and Florina. It sucks that his promotion is forced on Hector Mode.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
What does the OP mean by Thracia being released as a "download" as well as cartridge?

Artix posted:

So as Cake Attack mentioned, there is a goon-developed FE Romhack in the works and-- Okay guys, you can stop laughing now. Guys? Guys?

I'm sure it will turn out like every other goon project

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 25, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure the AI will go for a kill over attacking someone who can't counter and Micaiah can pretty easily be ORKOed by enemies there. I've never tried it though.

No. No they wont. Because I have tried it. The AI is loving dumb. the only time they'll go for Micaiah is if they can't go for the Black Knight at all.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

No. No they wont. Because I have tried it. The AI is loving dumb. the only time they'll go for Micaiah is if they can't go for the Black Knight at all.

That is really dumb, though if Micaiah has poo poo speed (definitely a possibility) she will get doubled and ORKOed by Javelin Soldiers and Hand Axe fighters so it does require a decent Micaiah to actually kill things safely. Also a shitload of Vulneraries, but those are cheap.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Sex Beef 2.0 posted:

What does the OP mean by Thracia being released as a "download" as well as cartridge?

Nintendo had a service in Japan called "Nintendo Power" where you could buy blank cartridges, and then pay to have games written to them for a cheap price. FE5 was only available through that service for a while.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

That is really dumb, though if Micaiah has poo poo speed (definitely a possibility) she will get doubled and ORKOed by Javelin Soldiers and Hand Axe fighters so it does require a decent Micaiah to actually kill things safely. Also a shitload of Vulneraries, but those are cheap.

Then... Don't attack them with Micaiah. They'll be so focused on killing The Black Knight (who they can't damage) that eventually Micaiah will have cleared out all the enemy with 1 Range who were a threat. Them simply move her out of range, equip the Alondite, watch them all suicide.

It is a mind numbingly simple, boring chapter. And is a perfect encapsulation of everything wrong with Radiant Dawn. Namely it putting plot ahead of gameplay. This comes right after a mission mind you, where they force 8 units, 5 of which wont be returning until part 4. Leaving the player with very little actual choice when it comes to how to do the mission.

But I could go on for literal pages about RDs problems.

Besides, FE AI has never been the best and brightest, and has always been hilariously easy to manipulate.

For the record that is every enemy in 16 of FE6, all being blocked by Lalum. By not opening the door in the middle of the map all the AI set to assault rushed towards the one way to get to my troops, and with some manipulation, Douglas wound up in front.

Douglas, who wont attack Lalum, his daughter (more proof that FE6 does have Pacifist routines of some sort) and stuck behind him are two melee locked units. Leading the entire maps worth of enemies to simply be standing there twiddling their thumbs. Until...

I swung my units behind them and massacred the whole army by baiting them one by one. Was it anywhere close to my fastest completion of C16? Hell no. But god drat was it hilarious.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 25, 2013

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've only ever bothered unequipping dudes when I wanted to like, level archers in chokepoints by using a beefcake to take NO DAMAGE. I definitely didn't think of doing it on that map. Ah well. :shobon:

Usually I save scum Micky anyway just because she is really good when you get good growths (especially speed) on her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

HHM was fun. Lunatic+ isn't the same as any other hard mode in the series. There's always been some minor variation for enemies, but the whole enemy only skill thing breaks it. Seems like they've taken the "hard game" moniker a little too far in the past few games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Soren represents my issues the best, as he has almost as while he has had almost no hp growth (25 at level 19 unpromoted) he has also managed to cap Magic, Skill, and Speed.
You're actually pretty blessed there - his average HP at level 19 is 26, but his averages for magic, skill, and speed are 17, 18, 15, respectively.

I'd say that's a pretty fair trade off.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Unrelated but Hector is the worst Lord in FE7 because he's too drat big to be Rescued by almost every mounted unit after he promotes and only has 5 movement. I'm pretty sure the only promoted units that can Rescue him are Rath and Florina. It sucks that his promotion is forced on Hector Mode.

Forced promotions in general are pretty awful. It's kind of funny how Eliwood doesn't care as much about his poo poo promotion time since he's not that great anyway and you're just feeding him kills because he's force-deployed on every map.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Forced promotions in general are pretty awful. It's kind of funny how Eliwood doesn't care as much about his poo poo promotion time since he's not that great anyway and you're just feeding him kills because he's force-deployed on every map.

He actually really does. Since if he could promote earlier his extra movement would help him significantly. not to mention the increase in con. It's why he's always a better choice than Lyn in Hector Mode, because his promotion is very helpful to the overall state of the army while Lyn... isn't.

Hector is by far the person most stunted because of his low movement, and him getting the boots means a flyer wont.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

None of them matter prepromotion at some point because you're gonna grind them to 20 as quickly as possible to avoid Wallace and Lloyd's fog of war bullshit. Why you would give a flier the boots is beyond me though, talk about overkill.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

None of them matter prepromotion at some point because you're gonna grind them to 20 as quickly as possible to avoid Wallace and Lloyd's fog of war bullshit. Why you would give a flier the boots is beyond me though, talk about overkill.

Manatee, you just don't understand how to blitzkrieg. Sometimes you wanna take the thorough approach, sometimes you want to utterly humiliate a map. That's why I find 2-E in RD so fun, sometimes you wanna kill every enemy. Other times? You wanna end it on turn 1.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

So as Artix previously mentioned, we do in fact have some actual progress towards Awful Emblem becoming a reality. I'm gonna quickly take a moment to explain the pain of text editing in FE. To start, you have to use a fairly terrible program called FEditor. FEditor lets you change a lot of stuff in the ROM, but as others from the team can attest, it has a horrible tendency to break your ROM on the slightest error.

Ignoring the fact that the character portraits haven't been changed yet, here's an example of what can go wrong with text editing itself. What happened there was that the dialogue in the textbox was too long, and I had forgotten to close a face leading to double Bartre. To explain in more detail, anytime you want a character to load into a conversation you need to enter [Open(location)][LoadFace][(character'sportraitvalue)][0x01]. So in this instance, I had two versions of Bartre loaded so he moved properly in the conversation, and had forgotten to type [Close(Location)] when I was done with the one on the right. This is one of the easier mistakes to make, and FEditor has terrible documentation (not helped by the fact that many hackers have a "learn as you go" mentality, and refuse to help when asked).

I have a few more horror stories, but this one is my go to example of why text editing is a pain in the rear end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

Manatee, you just don't understand how to blitzkrieg. Sometimes you wanna take the thorough approach, sometimes you want to utterly humiliate a map. That's why I find 2-E in RD so fun, sometimes you wanna kill every enemy. Other times? You wanna end it on turn 1.

And when, exactly, can you do this in FE7 by the point you have access to the boots? It's funny that the only most useful place for an eight move character to have them is directly before you get them in that very map. Also actually no, I never want to end it on turn one. Unless the map is poo poo or something, but that's a different issue entirely.

I mean clearly it's down to playstyle but arguing over who's right to no avail is more fun.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I had a 10 move Fiora in my latest FE7 run just because she was turning out really well and I decided to make her even crazier. Also gave her a Body Ring she probably didn't need because she ended with capped skill and speed anyways. I didn't NEED a 10 move flier but I had fun doing it regardless.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Manatee Cannon posted:

While at face value +2 movement seems like a universally fair boost, the actual number that matters is the area of coverage. Therefore, higher-movement units get a much larger boost to their coverage from Boots than the infantry slowpokes. Which one you pick between your mounties depends, but I usually gift my boots to a flier because they have no terrain restrictions and so their movement options are still that much greater than pony riders.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

^^More move is always good.

Speed generals with two pairs of boots. Always the best decision I make in any fire emblem game.

As for Awful Emblem:

Feliz Naziwad everyone!

Why yes I never get anything that they actually want me to do done.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WrightOfWay posted:

Micaiah never has to take a hit in that chapter unless you are going for a low turn strategy. I've found that Micaiah is pretty RNG proof because all she really needs to be useful is Magic for Thani-bombing and Staff-botting and Resistance for surviving attacks from the final boss and those are 80% and 90% growths respectively.

Ah Thani, probably one of the most crazy powerful weapons in the series.

It's seriously hilarious how powerful that weapon is. Oh look there's an armor knight, and now it's not there anymore.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Manatee Cannon posted:

HHM was fun. Lunatic+ isn't the same as any other hard mode in the series. There's always been some minor variation for enemies, but the whole enemy only skill thing breaks it. Seems like they've taken the "hard game" moniker a little too far in the past few games.

It was a cool idea to make the map different every time you play it for lunatic+. Too bad instead of promoting on the fly strategy, it just promotes defensive formations that can withstand any combination of skills.

Rather than it's own difficulty though, stuff like that is probably better as a kind of selectable second wave option. You could put reverse mode and no stat growth on there as well.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Roguelike posted:

It was a cool idea to make the map different every time you play it for lunatic+. Too bad instead of promoting on the fly strategy, it just promotes defensive formations that can withstand any combination of skills.

Rather than it's own difficulty though, stuff like that is probably better as a kind of selectable second wave option. You could put reverse mode and no stat growth on there as well.

It doesn't even do that, because it pretty much forces you to play with a single unit or so, or grind your rear end off. Chapter 4 has swordsmen with about 15 speed, 10 strength and 30+hp, for gently caress's sake!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

Not so much 'challenge' run, but Awakening: No Second Seals (except Donny I guess if you wanna use him) (also means no level resets, 1-40 only), only classic promotion paths (no Dark Fliers), absolutely no grinding, not even for supports.
Oddly, the no second seals run is one of the only ones I haven't done yet. I'll give it a shot when I finish my current run (Assassins only). No grinding. I'll even leave out the dragons, as per Tae.

Do I get to do any DLC or does that count as grinding?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Lunatic is legitimately not that hard. Lunatic+ is hard in the sense that sense you need to restart until enemies don't have Hawkeye and 1shot fred.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anatharon posted:

Lunatic is legitimately not that hard. Lunatic+ is hard in the sense that sense you need to restart until enemies don't have Hawkeye and 1shot fred.

I think this sorta trivializes the difficulty of lunatic+ to nothing more than random chance, which it's not. Yes, if every enemy on the map spawns with hawkeye and luna, you're probably not going to win, but the goal is to come up with a strategy that can weather the likely combinations. And the strategies that do that best are some of the most foolproof and consistent in the game.

For example, if you abuse waterwalking to level up avatar enough in the prologue, you can fight the boss with her and avoid the 'instant loss if the boss has hawkeye' condition that people who rely solely on Fred to get them through Chapter 4 encounter.

Except for Chapter 2. gently caress Chapter 2. There's no good strategy for that level.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hmm... One of these images isn't like the other. Great job, Serenes! :downs:

(That's from my FE7 LP on the archive)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artix posted:

Hmm... One of these images isn't like the other. Great job, Serenes! :downs:

(That's from my FE7 LP on the archive)

Was it seriously that hard to just take a screencap of FE7's first chapter themselves? And am I understanding that right, and Kent and Sain were nerfed in the localization? Or is it just that the Cavalier bases themselves were higher in the Japanese version?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's actually a screencap from FE7if, a japanese romhack. I don't know all the changes that were made, but I do know that pretty much everyone was given minor buffs.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Something I came across purely by chance today: A massive 35-minute arrangement of a ton of FE music from across the series (not including Awakening, though).

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
So I'm playing Awakening for the first time. I figured I'd start on Hard due to having played the entire series up to this point. It's been doable so far despite some rough patches (Oh god no rear end in a top hat reinforcements are back) and I've had to use Frederick more then I like, but figuring out Pair Up has made things easier. Until the second Paralogue chapter. Is this just entirely down to luck? Anna has gotten killed 3 times in a row before there would be any actual chance of me being able to reach her.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Anna doesn't actually need to live, keeping her alive gets you nothing.

Best way of saving her if you really care is pairing up Sumia and Fred (or Chrom, depending on how he's doing statwise) and then switching the lead once Sumia's taxied them to the danger zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saving Anna's not impossible or anything, but you don't have to do it. You don't get anything for it, she doesn't join you or give you anything. The village she's protecting does, though so make sure to save that. A different Anna that you can recruit shows up later so don't worry about it.